Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver Extraordinaire alternative?

OK so I have a friend that recently discovered my bottle of VE in my wardrobe and has fallen head over heels for it. However he refuses to buy a bottle at such a high and price and he keeps using mine! What is a cheaper smell alike I can buy him? He's a very close friend but I'm not about to drop $140 on him lol

Default Re: Vetiver Extraordinaire alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    OK so I have a friend that recently discovered my bottle of VE in my wardrobe and has fallen head over heels for it. However he refuses to buy a bottle at such a high and price and he keeps using mine! What is a cheaper smell alike I can buy him? He's a very close friend but I'm not about to drop $140 on him lol
    Etro Vetiver, older formulation "Eau De Cologne" comes close to the smokey, hollow (according L Turin) appeal. To my nose the Etro does better. In Europe You could buy it for ~30$$ as a clearout bargain.

Thumbs up Re: Vetiver Extraordinaire alternative?

Lalique' s ENCRE NOIRE, the best vetiver out there and also my favorite
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Guerlain Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Lalique' s ENCRE NOIRE, the best vetiver out there and also my favorite
    +1. Closer than Guerlain to VE. I'd pick Chanel Sycomore over them all if I were your friend, but I'm not sure there would be much difference in cost.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

+1 on Sycomore
    +1 on Encre Noir, however, it's much stronger

You know despite being a vetiver lover and trying countless suggestions I've received from this board I have yet to try Encre Noir, so I'll definitely have to check it out and maybe buy a bottle for my friend so he stops using my expensive VE! lol What stores could I go to to pick up a free sample or just try it out?

Basenotes Institution

Try Vetiver Extreme by Guerlain

Ok, Encre Noire might be an obvious one. But Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford is the closest thing to VE I've found. Not very cheap though.