Code of Conduct

Wink The ones that got away....

While posting on rtamara's sample thread and examining my 'tried' list, I thought of a spinoff-- Have you given away samples you later wish you hadn't written off? What are they?

I have done this a couple times, early on. I wrote off Jicky, Muscs Koublai Khan, and Chergui. Now I'm a little more careful about testing more than once and a little more possessive of certain samps.

What about you all?

Default Re: The ones that got away....

I would be able to answer this if my head weren't a sieve. There was something the other day I was wanting, and then I remembered I'd forwarded it on to somebody. If anybody has sent me a sample they wish they had back, just let me know! Lol!

I confess--I give away samples if I have doubles (and I have lots od doubles, triples...), or if they are large enough to split, or I decant samples and give them away--but I don't think I ever give away my only sample of anything, even if I'm sure I dislike it.

I think of my samples as a library, and use them for reference all the time
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 11th October 2010 at 09:08 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

What about samples you give away but somehow make it back to you? I think I keep giving away Bois Farine from L'Artisan and it keeps finding it's way to me again. I still don't like it, no matter how many samples I get of it.

I totally understand the giving away samples and then realising it wasn't a great idea, or trying them and nt beng able to find them after a move.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Not usually - my samples are going back and forth all the time. If I miss something I get another.

The only time I've really regretted it was after a shopping trip around SF. I left a ton of pricey niche samples in the hotel in the rush to get out, including a bunch of Tom Fords, Kilians, etc. That I regretted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    What about samples you give away but somehow make it back to you? I think I keep giving away Bois Farine from L'Artisan and it keeps finding it's way to me again. I still don't like it, no matter how many samples I get of it.
    Yes! Though I can't begrudge people's kindness; it's sweet to be sent something at all. However, I will confess Narcisse Noir seems to find its way to me at an alarming regularity despite my not getting on well with it at all.

Hillaire

Oh, I have so done this, especially in eagerness to send sample packages to my friends. Then I will be reading about something, wanting to smell it again, only to find it's gone! Some I overlooked the potential of and designated for immediate circulation were: Promesse de L'Aube, English Fern, Balmain Ebene, and Black Tourmaline. (Please come back?)

I also have a few sample stalkers, that keep appearing in my mail despite my restraining orders against them, like a Stephen King novel or something: Eau de Cellophane, Vintage Ma Griffe, Donna Karan Gold, and all the Diptyques!

I sold several vintage gems from my collection because I was broke and needed to pay the rent. I don't regret it: Now that I'm back on my feet, I can always hunt for more.