Code of Conduct

Default Tabac or Mecca Balsam?

Quite interested in trying Tabac and Mecca Balsam by AbdesSalam Attar Profumo. I'm not sure I can bring myself to do the minimum order 4 bottle tester thing as these are the only two which interest me enough at the moment. Neither can I splash out for both. Which would you go for first? Thanks!
    'There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, "Do trousers matter?"'
    'The mood will pass, sir.'

Default Re: Tabac or Mecca Balsam?

I have a small bottle of Tabac and love it. Even though it is a natural scent, there are many different notes in it that give a roundness and depth that few artisanal perfumes have. I recommend it, for sure. I've never tried the Mecca Balsam, but I'm quite sure it's good. Almost everything I've tried from AbdesSalaam is wonderful.

Basenotes Institution

These scent are so wildly different, I don't even know where to begin. Both are nice scents but they really approach the tobacco note totally differently.

I have and recommend Tabac, but haven't tried Mecca Balsam.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    These scent are so wildly different, I don't even know where to begin. Both are nice scents but they really approach the tobacco note totally differently.
    Yes, very fair comment. I'm not really sure what I'm asking. I'm certainly interested in the tobacco note and was going for Tabac but then noticed the Mecca and was intrigued, especially given the impression I have that it is restrained for something that could be like walking into an Orthodox mass? I have some Ambre Sultan for example and it's too much for me to wear 98% of the time. (Totally different beast I know.)

i have both. Different animals alltogether. Mecca B. is something which is ,at least to me, very heavy and dense. tobacco is a note in the composition but not the main attribute. in addition, i dont feel veyr comfortable wearing MB outside due to its heavy baslamic nature. Tobacco is more wearable and doesnt impose on folks as MB can do. Dont get me wrong MB is really nice in its own right and quite amazing a creation. By the way, i find most of his perfumes really really good. Oakmoss is superb, gringo, you name them. cant really go wrong. and a very nice man too! if you mention you are a basenoter when you purchase something he'll give you something sweet as well
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

wearing both now so i can give a better advise: go for tabac. more versatile and stunning. actually thinking about buying a bottle now.
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

Tabac is one of the finest tobacco scents around. Mecca Balsam smells like too much like a vinaigrette salad dressing. It's nice, but not something I enjoy wearing.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I would also recommend Tabac - it is easy to enjoy if you like the scent of tobacco in a fragrance - its almost 100% tobacco but is a very nice rendition of this note. Mecca Balsam is just too intensive and dense as some have said. Its an interesting scent but is very hard core resinous.

I recomend you order the 4 minimum samples and try out Tabac, Oakmoss, Don Corleone, and Gringo or Grezzo d' Elliganza for something a little lighter. Oakmoss was my favorite woods scent in his line.

Basenotes Institution

I don't really think of MB as a very 'tobacco' scent, in the context of your post. It's more about the incense, the tobacco, the woods, the resins...nice, but yes very complex, deep and a bit 'rough' too.

I'm assuming you know that most Tabac lovers recommend the Eau de Cologne version of Tabac.

Thanks everyone. Pretty unanimous on trying Tabac first and very helpful descriptions of Mecca. I'll probably order just Tabac but if I'm feeling especially generous to myself I'll go for a 4 bottle sample set! Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I don't really think of MB as a very 'tobacco' scent, in the context of your post. It's more about the incense, the tobacco, the woods, the resins...nice, but yes very complex, deep and a bit 'rough' too.

I'm assuming you know that most Tabac lovers recommend the Eau de Cologne version of Tabac.
    Profumo.it offerings come in different concentrations?