Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 61
  1. #31
    rickbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    I'm just happy that the users of this fragrance are accross the ocean, so the chances that i found someone here wearing are minimal. I don't dare to even call this nonsense a fragrance, it's so nasty, nauseating, that i don't think it deserve to be called a fragrance. I'd vomit if i were forced to be at the same place with a person that wears this horrible thing. I had a mini of this one, and i had to keep it isolated of my wardrobe, because the smell was contaminating my other fragrances. Close to the bottle like the pic, the scent could cause me nauseas. The worst aroma that i have ever smelled on my life. Nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty!

  2. #32

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    The worst aroma that i have ever smelled on my life. Nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty!
    As someone close to perfume making by being a very delicate customer/consumer - by what does it do the trick to keep you at a ocean wide distance?
    Last edited by WildThingy; 12th October 2010 at 12:14 AM.

  3. #33
    rickbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    As someone close to perfume making by being a very delicate customer/consumer - by what does it do the trick to keep you at a ocean wide distance?
    So i'll not have a chance to even catch a light smell of this one. I leaved my mini edp to a encounter that we made here, to test it on other skins to see if it could work in someone - and it didn't worked in no one. And it's a scent that refuses to go away, and one of my friend dab it liberally at his wrist. Everytime that he moved his arm i was able to detect the aroma, and always wanted to vomit. It's one of that smells that is hard to control what you feel - it's like concentrated sweat of someone that it didn't took a shower for months. It's not similar to sweat, but it causes the same reaction, that makes you run for fresh air. SM has to me dog's vomit and egg aroma. I tried that thing on skin, and had to wash it, it made me feel very bad.

  4. #34

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    So i'll not have a chance to even catch a light smell of this one. I leaved my mini edp to a encounter that we made here, to test it on other skins to see if it could work in someone - and it didn't worked in no one. And it's a scent that refuses to go away, and one of my friend dab it liberally at his wrist. Everytime that he moved his arm i was able to detect the aroma, and always wanted to vomit. It's one of that smells that is hard to control what you feel - it's like concentrated sweat of someone that it didn't took a shower for months. It's not similar to sweat, but it causes the same reaction, that makes you run for fresh air. SM has to me dog's vomit and egg aroma. I tried that thing on skin, and had to wash it, it made me feel very bad.
    I'm sorry for that. Here in Europe the fragrance fits (some kind of) into the assemblage of all day odors. As said, the response of all day people wasn't bad at all. To the opposite the scent was described as being sexy, whatever that is (if You could please pardon my age).

    Frank Zappa, The poodle bites: http://www.lyricstime.com/frank-zapp...ve-lyrics.html

    ...
    I'll ignore your cheap aroma
    And your little-bo-peep diploma
    I'll just put you in a coma
    With some dirty love
    Some dirty love
    That dirty love
    That dirty love

    THE POODLE BITES!
    (Come on, Frenchie)
    THE POODLE CHEWS IT!
    (Snap it!)
    THE POODLE BITES!
    (Come on, Frenchie)
    THE POODLE CHEWS IT!
    (Snap it!)
    ...

    8-)
    Last edited by WildThingy; 12th October 2010 at 12:37 AM.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    SM is proof that bad press is better than no press. How many of us would've even bothered to try it, let alone seek it out, if not for its infamy? KP did SM the biggest favor of all.

  6. #36

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    I wonder if Katie Puckrick had called her video, "Secretions Magnifique live sampling" it would have changed things. If we knew she wasn't even trying to review it, and was more or less a reaction video akin to those of the 2 girls one cup reaction videos.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

    Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

  7. #37

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    SM is proof that bad press is better than no press. How many of us would've even bothered to try it, let alone seek it out, if not for its infamy? KP did SM the biggest favor of all.
    I would have tried it for being an Etat Libre D'Orange. I like the art concept. Even price wise they try to bring perfume back to wider interest. Some hyperbole is allowed with that. The kernel seems to have playfull fun, which has been missing due to the overload of erotism (sic!) that common perfumery has to bear. Got the twist? It has begun with the kitsch of Guerlains Mitsouko/Jicky/Shalimar - the love stories behind the names - to evolve fragrance into the overt sex up my body utility of today, iconographic advertising included.



    With SM the punch line is in the fragrance as to speak with L Turin. 'Think Encens Et Bubblegum is the next unavoidable purchase. But it could be Arabie instead or Habit Rouge.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 12th October 2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: words fail me

  8. #38
    california71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    14

    Wink Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    The contact to natures raise and fall may be more direct than possible in Hollywood, US not to mention NYC, where nature is smelly poisonous rot if it is present at all.

    I've not tested SM, but on your opinion of enjoying 'natural' smells more than Americans, I'll say this: I'm almost 40, born and raised in Southern California, lived here all my life. I've spent three weeks of my life in France, out of 40 years. The 3 worst experiences I've ever had in my life, in terms of being in the same room as someone with repulsive, terrible body odor all occurred in France (at the Louvre, at a trade show, and in a restaurant). Maybe I just had bad luck. Maybe you're more 'attuned' and 'accepting' of 'natural' body odors than those of us in Southern California (Hollywood), with our smog, sagebrush tumbleweeds, oak trees, licorice, deodorant, daily bathing and desert underbrush 'natural rot'. Me, I'm not so much a fan of the smell of people who haven't showered in two weeks.

    The bottle has a penis with sprinkling semen - it's supposed to be jarring and unconventional, yes?

    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I think it's fair to say that most people would find applying a semen smell to their body as less attractive than, well, just about anything else. If that makes me unrefined and incapable of accepting 'natural' smells, then so be it. With the hundreds of colognes out there, I'll pass on the 'blood, metal and semen' arrangements. To each their own. I appreciated the video review, and I appreciate yours.

    Icelandic proverb: Every man likes the smell of his own farts.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    I lived in Europe for 3 years, I never came across anyone that smelled or would want to smell like S.M. It is false to claim Europeans as liberated souls that are in more "in tune" with bodily odours and hence accepting of S.M. The people I met there would gag on the c^%p.

    I can deal with niche releases that are so avant garde that they become borderline unwearable but S.M is plain revolting. It contradicts what a perfume is meant to be.

  10. #40
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    For the very life of me, I cannot make heads or tails out of these remarks. All I know is that SM sucks the big wazoo.

  11. #41
    Basenotes Plus
    JON RODGERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    12,972

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    For the very life of me, I cannot make heads or tails out of these remarks. All I know is that SM sucks the big wazoo.
    +1 !!!. Took the words right out of my mouth.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    36
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Thanks WildThingy for your thoughtful review. I acquired the Coffret of ELdO 16 scents, and this one was interesting. It actually reminded me of egg-whites, before being made into meringue, nothing sulfuric, just something I had not expected to smell. It was the main note, and I felt there was something really pleasantly floral being restrained underneath. This one is not for me, but then, neither was Je Suis Un Homme, which was the first aromatic fougére I've experienced.

  13. #43
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,768

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I lived in Europe for 3 years, I never came across anyone that smelled or would want to smell like S.M. It is false to claim Europeans as liberated souls that are in more "in tune" with bodily odours and hence accepting of S.M. The people I met there would gag on the c^%p.

    I can deal with niche releases that are so avant garde that they become borderline unwearable but S.M is plain revolting. It contradicts what a perfume is meant to be.
    Agree. Being of European decent myself, and having lived there as well, I've had to do what typical kids of Italian rural families do, namely be involved and assist with the slaughtering and butchering of assorted animals - cows, pigs, sheep, chickens. I found the smell of their hot internal organs somewhat unpleasant. But in comparison to SM, they smell like roses.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  14. #44

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Hi Folks,

    I've been called names because of some hypercritic ciritique on Katie Puckricks nasty review of Secretions Magnifique of Etat Libre D'Orange <ref: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/261510-Funniest-review-ever-Katie-Puckrik-and-Secretions-Magnifiques!>

    Here is the proof that the juice is not lethal:
    .....
    French perfumes should smell gud, not like this :- /
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

    "No Pain, No Gain"

  15. #45
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Hi Folks,

    I've been called names because of some hypercritic ciritique on Katie Puckricks nasty review of Secretions Magnifique of Etat Libre D'Orange <ref: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/261510-Funniest-review-ever-Katie-Puckrik-and-Secretions-Magnifiques!>

    Here is the proof that the juice is not lethal:



    As You see, I've got a not so full bottle by now. When I lately sprayed it on another man he said it would smell pleasent, sexy. His mother agreed to that. Similarities to JOOP have been stated. In the end, this is the fifth out of six who didn't reject the "tear shedding penis" as horrid, repulsive or in an other way unbearable. The sixth person, a young girl got a foul note out of it. She has grown up in the city with only rarely going to the country side. Maybe that excuses her overreacting to the grain of salt within every perfume of French origin. Which herein is a nitro-something reminiscent of decomposing organic material. Hey, hays smell comes from that too!

    Other, earlier reviews of European origin got it similar: not that bad, if bad at all, but strange, something to discover piece by piece.

    I'm quite often at Loire Atlantique in France for vacation. St. Nazaire close to Nantes is my preferred place to go. When being there my GF and I enjoy oysters, bread, garlic, parsley and not at least the simple but terrific wine Muscadet Sevre Et Maine Sur Lie for diner. The people und us eat oysters as a snack after the farmers market - 10cc each, fresh from the region. If You as a perfume-o-holic lack that reference, chances are high that SM speaks in a foreign tounge. For instance the French at the western shoreline have a tradition to pick small snails direct from the surge for a feast. The contact to natures raise and fall may be more direct than possible in Hollywood, US not to mention NYC, where nature is smelly poisonous rot if it is present at all.

    As said before my first reaction to SM was: white apple with black rotting spots on it. That and windfall, wet grass, trees bark, dewy flowers all over. In other words, that fragrance has blown me back in time. It was a complete picture, emotions of familiarity included of a lucky time of my childhood. My olfactory system couldn't get it first and had to search backward that far!

    Maybe that I'm a little bit too old to jump on the bandwaggon. I'm as old as Katie and hardly resist to get my first platic surgery. Me as an experienced person of old European values and traditions think this fragrance has earned at least the merit of being once peculiar and hence a wothwhile chewing gumm for old farts who otherwise lost their impact. It is as synthetic as Beyond Paradise (which I own too) but French - consequently

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kVj...eature=related

    thank you WildThingy for an interesting well-written take on the 'controversial' fragrance.

  16. #46

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    11,282

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    I am European, I love the concept of SM, but find it unquestionably abominable, unless of course a person is anosmic to certain rotten nitriles (according to some recent research, pretty much for any molecule, there's somebody who's anosmic).

    But he bottle in the pic seems a store tester, so is wildthingy serious, or did he just take a pic in a store and pretend he's been using it? (and, for all we know, he could have simply decanted it for other people).

    If not, more importantly, where can one buy the bottle with the whimsical label? I wanted to buy SM soon, but this side of the ocean I only see the 50ml bottle, which regrettably has only a generic label.

    cacio

  17. #47

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by california71 View Post
    I've not tested SM, but on your opinion of enjoying 'natural' smells more than Americans, I'll say this: I'm almost 40, born and raised in Southern California, lived here all my life. I've spent three weeks of my life in France, out of 40 years. The 3 worst experiences I've ever had in my life, in terms of being in the same room as someone with repulsive, terrible body odor all occurred in France (at the Louvre, at a trade show, and in a restaurant). Maybe I just had bad luck. Maybe you're more 'attuned' and 'accepting' of 'natural' body odors than those of us in Southern California (Hollywood), with our smog, sagebrush tumbleweeds, oak trees, licorice, deodorant, daily bathing and desert underbrush 'natural rot'. Me, I'm not so much a fan of the smell of people who haven't showered in two weeks.

    The bottle has a penis with sprinkling semen - it's supposed to be jarring and unconventional, yes?

    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I think it's fair to say that most people would find applying a semen smell to their body as less attractive than, well, just about anything else. If that makes me unrefined and incapable of accepting 'natural' smells, then so be it. With the hundreds of colognes out there, I'll pass on the 'blood, metal and semen' arrangements. To each their own. I appreciated the video review, and I appreciate yours.

    Icelandic proverb: Every man likes the smell of his own farts.
    @California71
    You know, strange you should say that about the French vis-à-vis body odour. (Which, by the way, always seems to be the typical ubiquitous insulting Yank viewpoint regarding the "great unwashed French"). I, on the other hand, knew someone with the absolute worst body odour I'd yet come across (& who refused point blank to use deodorant/perfume of any kind, to help soften the blow). And he, believe it or not, was actually a fellow Californian. ~ So, point being, I'll wager you find "rank body odour" pretty much in any corner of the globe ! ...
    Besides, don't we have "body odour" to thank for the probable primary reason perfumery was even first developed in the first place ?!? ~ (And the subsequent glorious reasoning behind a pinch of castoreum/civit/indole/musk et al ....... ).

    And regarding SM, I'd suggest you really shouldn't take all the "blood spit and spunk" marketing crap as gospel criteria for judging a scent which has yet to pass your nose. I mean, I can fully understand how a male (especially a full-on hetero' one ;o) might immediately shy-away/feel threatened(?)/revolted by a fragrance with purported spunk notes and a spouting penis on the bottle. But you could very well find, like I did (and everyone else I asked), that the actual fragrance as a whole doesn't actually smell anything like the purported bodily notes. Or rather that it's outcome is greater than the sum of it's parts. (Or you might find vague references, but only if you convince your mind to find them ;o) If on the other hand you ignore all the very clever marketing "mumbo-jumbo", you might even find you might even enjoy the fragrance after all !?? (As I've certainly been surprised to enjoy many a fragrance which actually contain notes which in isolation I dislike). ...
    Just a suggestion. You might even surprise yourself ? And if not, and you still find it disagreeable. At least then you can do so from an actual informed basis. And not just on the basis of a racy bottle/pic alone. Which is rather unfair, not !?

    And by the by, ... I may be alone here, ... but I certainly do NOT enjoy the smell of my own farts. )


    @ WildThingy : ... I totally agree that SM has been very unfairly demonised. And it's certainly nowhere near as disagreeable as it's been made out to be. I think most of the revolt is really due to the power of suggestion, and distorted associations. ~ I guarantee that if people first smelled the fragrance knowing nothing about it or it's contained notes/ad-copy/image, their reactions would be very different and waaaay more agreeable. ...
    I find it especially interesting for the fact the every time I go back to it, it manages to smell completely different from what I remembered it. And I smell some further new facet each time. It also manages to smell very different on all the people I've tried it on, (markedly so, more so than other fragrances, almost like a completely different fragrance altogether. ~No mean feat !)
    And I totally agree that if I had to associate it to any other fragrance, (something I've never been able to do before due to it's singular character). I must say, I think Beyond Paradise is actually pretty much spot-on ! ~ (Although I actually dislike Beyond Paradise immensely. Probably as much as most people dislike SM (LOL) ~ I think SM a far superior fragrance to BP in every possible way !
    There is however one very minor thing you mentioned that I just do NOT agree with at all. I find absolutely NO resemblance whatsoever, not even in the slightest, between SM and JOOP ! (WTF ??? I don't know where you coming from there ???) ~ To me, if anything, they are more like polar opposites really ! ~ (Sorry ! )
    (Oh, unless you meant : a scent that greatly divided opinion ??)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 4th March 2011 at 01:54 AM.

  18. #48

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    ^^^ I just skimmed... but, really, you don't like the smell of your own farts?! come on! it's ok to admit it.. really... ;-)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

    HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...


    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

  19. #49

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    ^^^ I just skimmed... but, really, you don't like the smell of your own farts?! come on! it's ok to admit it.. really... ;-)
    Yep, I can seriously say in this case, I much prefer the smell of SM (or on reflection, perhaps my own spunk ? ;o) more so than the smell of my own farts. NO contest, SM wins hands down !

    And though I admire it, find it interesting, and therefore defend it. Unfortunately still not quite enough to find it FBW. (A mediumish decant has been more than enough, thankyou )

  20. #50

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Yep, I can seriously say in this case, I much prefer the smell of SM (or on reflection, perhaps my own spunk ? ;o) more so than the smell of my own farts. NO contest, SM wins hands down !

    And though I admire it, find it interesting, and therefore defend it. Unfortunately still not quite enough to find it FBW. (A mediumish decant has been more than enough, thankyou )
    Me either, the bottle actually is a shops tester, that I bought. They thought it would be o/k to let it go, now that the negative hype is over. ELdO itself states that Jasmine Et Cigarettes and SM (!!) are their bestsellers.

    To clearify things, I would not tell anybody is lacking something if not likeing SM. Most recently I tried it again, and there it was, that metallic smell and nothing else. It lasted one or two hours and was overwhelmingly strong! But then in a sudden, may be by fatigue it was blown away.

    What SM reminded me after that was what it says. But, stay tuned, it was great, had the same power as the topnote(s): chestnut, slightly roasted, the variant You can buy in Western Europe on Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Fair). And, the reference was the female who occasionally - You know, it happens even to a prim scholar as me sometimes that he falls in love, I had to sniff all over her ... . There is definitely a common demominator of these three smells ... . And know what, I like particularly that smell. It reminds me of good times I had and will hopefully have on and on. It is not the smell of decomposing stuff, but - people are rather bigot sometimes.

    Perfume is since Guerlain a matter of erotic engagement - Jicky, Mitsouko, Shalimar, all about love stories. By that time 1900+ a rather new idea it was to connect perfume mentaly to erotics by a "story", the so called scoop. ELdO and esp. with SM mimicks that as a hyperbole. Well done IMHO.

    As far as people like Katie, who is "of otherwise indenyable interlectual credit" go silly about words and the idea that human semen has some kind of a smell, o/k. She describes herself as a former groupy. What then was that?! Do people think that mankind proliferates by offshoots?

    Btw: SM is NOT suposed to smell of spunk, but JICKY stinks of cat's number two!

  21. #51

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Btw: SM is NOT suposed to smell of spunk, but JICKY stinks of cat's number two!
    An other thought, technically: What pulled me in in the first place was the gap between the metallic overly fresh "nitrile" and the floral components. That gap is what reminded me of the partly rotting white/green apples, windfall of my youth. There is no ongoing foul around. Nitril-ic smell signals totally rotten, decomposed proteine. Nitril is the afterglow of foul. In SM the intermediate states are missing. SM is high contrast.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 4th March 2011 at 06:05 PM.

  22. #52
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Me either, the bottle actually is a shops tester, that I bought. They thought it would be o/k to let it go, now that the negative hype is over. ELdO itself states that Jasmine Et Cigarettes and SM (!!) are their bestsellers.

    To clearify things, I would not tell anybody is lacking something if not likeing SM. Most recently I tried it again, and there it was, that metallic smell and nothing else. It lasted one or two hours and was overwhelmingly strong! But then in a sudden, may be by fatigue it was blown away.

    What SM reminded me after that was what it says. But, stay tuned, it was great, had the same power as the topnote(s): chestnut, slightly roasted, the variant You can buy in Western Europe on Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Fair). And, the reference was the female who occasionally - You know, it happens even to a prim scholar as me sometimes that he falls in love, I had to sniff all over her ... . There is definitely a common demominator of these three smells ... . And know what, I like particularly that smell. It reminds me of good times I had and will hopefully have on and on. It is not the smell of decomposing stuff, but - people are rather bigot sometimes.

    Perfume is since Guerlain a matter of erotic engagement - Jicky, Mitsouko, Shalimar, all about love stories. By that time 1900+ a rather new idea it was to connect perfume mentaly to erotics by a "story", the so called scoop. ELdO and esp. with SM mimicks that as a hyperbole. Well done IMHO.

    As far as people like Katie, who is "of otherwise indenyable interlectual credit" go silly about words and the idea that human semen has some kind of a smell, o/k. She describes herself as a former groupy. What then was that?! Do people think that mankind proliferates by offshoots?

    Btw: SM is NOT suposed to smell of spunk, but JICKY stinks of cat's number two!
    another inspiring post, WildThingy.

  23. #53

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Tried this about a half an hour ago. Don't believe the hype because it's not that scary. I was prepared after reading many reviews and seeing Katie's, to smell something absolutely horrible, instead I got salty ocean water with soft florals and musk and like Fred360 said: egg whites. Yep folks, that's as scary as it gets. Now excuse me while I go layer it with a bit of MKK to really take myself over the top.

  24. #54

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Neither the "good" nor "bad" reviews of SM led me to think that I'd like it. I am surprised that so many people feel the need to sample certain frags when there is no reason to believe that they would like the frag. Is this the olfactory equivalent of "rubber necking" at the scene of a car accident?

  25. #55
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    107,916

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Had never seen any of the reviews prior to trying this a while back. I just didn't care that much for it when I tried it.

  26. #56

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Rochambeau View Post
    Tried this about a half an hour ago. Don't believe the hype because it's not that scary. I was prepared after reading many reviews and seeing Katie's, to smell something absolutely horrible, instead I got salty ocean water with soft florals and musk and like Fred360 said: egg whites. Yep folks, that's as scary as it gets. Now excuse me while I go layer it with a bit of MKK to really take myself over the top.
    I know, right !? ... I couldn't agree with you more. ... I think "Secretions Magnifiques" has become the perfume world's perfect example of hyperbole to the max.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 1st December 2011 at 12:12 AM.

  27. #57
    Basenotes Junkie lionheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    841

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    I tested this twice and have a decant. I will own it one day out of principle because I love ELdO. I just think that some noses are immune to whatever "disgusting" note is in there. I almost threw up twice and I have a VERY strong stomach. SM is the only frag I've reviewed on here. It smells (more than anything IMO) to the smell of a wound that has stopped bleeding and is trying to heal. I do think it is artistic though...like modern art.

    In defense of Katie, I don't think she was "performing" per se, she was testing it live (as someone said earlier) and was just displaying her visceral reaction. I thought it was particularly funny, because everything she said about it, I could totally see where she was coming from.

    We all know that frags are elusive.....we all have to just like what we like and leave the rest, I think.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

    "Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

    "It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

  28. #58

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Neither the "good" nor "bad" reviews of SM led me to think that I'd like it. I am surprised that so many people feel the need to sample certain frags when there is no reason to believe that they would like the frag. Is this the olfactory equivalent of "rubber necking" at the scene of a car accident?
    Yes, but how do you really know until you've tried it yourself, with your own nose and on your own skin ??? When it comes to other people's take (reviews) on a scent, I've more often than not found that my own personal experience of a scent is actually miles removed from other's reviews. ...
    And besides, there is also such a thing as "curiosity", (which, it seems by your comment, you don't seem to possess much of). ) ... After all the hype there is no way I wouldn't want to experience it for myself (mostly to find out if it was warranted ??). And personally I found that it didn't. It's been totally blown out of proportion IMO. I don't find SM offensive in the least !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 1st December 2011 at 12:28 AM.

  29. #59

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    OK we get it , you love it , Katie didnt . Let it go ....
    +1 .
    - Expect the unexpected

  30. #60

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I know, right !? ... I couldn't agree with you more. ... I think "Secretions Magnifiques" has become the perfume world's perfect example of hyperbole to the max.
    Yeah, and that hype was propelled mostly by demure US-Americans who took the picture and the name (after not so accurate translation) literally. They - reiterated - not even got the story behind the composition: it is meant to be an abstract analogue to s.e.x.ual suspense. Hence it is first of all not clean, conventional, muted. While depending on well known ingredients it still is different. Now as it is the time for it, autumn, try to have a bite of an uncooked chestnut. It is quite sour, isn't it? When cooked it develops some sweet aspects that may become stuffy. Compare that to the development of SM!

    On the other hand, if someone really is that anxious about his smell of her, SM won't do the trick. So SM won't do it for the most of us. I wonder how someone could possibly pile up a severe amount of whatever is considered to be "perfume", but miss any experimental stuff which may bear a challenge. To me that looks like a marionette hanging in the threads of commerce. The new "pure malt", U kno ... and not to forget about CREED, Amen

Similar Threads

  1. I took the Secretions Magnifique plunge
    By lizzie_j in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 2nd March 2012, 03:20 PM
  2. Secretions Magnifique meet your new Opponent
    By mtgprox05 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27th September 2010, 09:17 PM
  3. Secretions Magnifique: Grounds for Divorce?
    By BradW in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 27th September 2010, 04:57 PM
  4. Wierd discussion about Secretions Magnifique
    By BradW in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 2nd July 2010, 09:37 PM
  5. Tried Secretions Magnifique yesterday..... why oh why ....
    By snifferdog in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18th June 2008, 12:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000