Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

Hi Folks,

I've been called names because of some hypercritic ciritique on Katie Puckricks nasty review of Secretions Magnifique of Etat Libre D'Orange <ref: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/261510-Funniest-review-ever-Katie-Puckrik-and-Secretions-Magnifiques!>

Here is the proof that the juice is not lethal:

As You see, I've got a not so full bottle by now. When I lately sprayed it on another man he said it would smell pleasent, sexy. His mother agreed to that. Similarities to JOOP have been stated. In the end, this is the fifth out of six who didn't reject the "tear shedding penis" as horrid, repulsive or in an other way unbearable. The sixth person, a young girl got a foul note out of it. She has grown up in the city with only rarely going to the country side. Maybe that excuses her overreacting to the grain of salt within every perfume of French origin. Which herein is a nitro-something reminiscent of decomposing organic material. Hey, hays smell comes from that too!

Other, earlier reviews of European origin got it similar: not that bad, if bad at all, but strange, something to discover piece by piece.

I'm quite often at Loire Atlantique in France for vacation. St. Nazaire close to Nantes is my preferred place to go. When being there my GF and I enjoy oysters, bread, garlic, parsley and not at least the simple but terrific wine Muscadet Sevre Et Maine Sur Lie for diner. The people und us eat oysters as a snack after the farmers market - 10cc each, fresh from the region. If You as a perfume-o-holic lack that reference, chances are high that SM speaks in a foreign tounge. For instance the French at the western shoreline have a tradition to pick small snails direct from the surge for a feast. The contact to natures raise and fall may be more direct than possible in Hollywood, US not to mention NYC, where nature is smelly poisonous rot if it is present at all.

As said before my first reaction to SM was: white apple with black rotting spots on it. That and windfall, wet grass, trees bark, dewy flowers all over. In other words, that fragrance has blown me back in time. It was a complete picture, emotions of familiarity included of a lucky time of my childhood. My olfactory system couldn't get it first and had to search backward that far!

Maybe that I'm a little bit too old to jump on the bandwaggon. I'm as old as Katie and hardly resist to get my first platic surgery. Me as an experienced person of old European values and traditions think this fragrance has earned at least the merit of being once peculiar and hence a wothwhile chewing gumm for old farts who otherwise lost their impact. It is as synthetic as Beyond Paradise (which I own too) but French - consequently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kVj...eature=related

Last edited by WildThingy; 11th October 2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added reference to Puckricks re-view

Default Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

OK we get it , you love it , Katie didnt . Let it go ....

Blog Entries

I really dont see a point here aside from you actually liking it

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    It was a complete picture, emotions of familiarity included of a lucky time of my childhood.
    Hmmm.....Interesting a fragrance meant to smell like blood, semen and other bodily secretions reminds you of your childhood.

In other words, we Non-Europeans are simple, uneducated bufoons who are unable to appreciate some of the "finer" things in life.
    Gotcha! Talk about condescending!!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

One thing about Basenotes, we tend to be an open and tolerant bunch. One perfume critic's opinion is just that--an opinion.

Don't get too upset over other reviewers. Wear what you like.

I don't know how many times I have disagreed strongly with Turin and Sanchez. I still like reading their guide on perfumes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

What's up with the attitude of all the replies? This is clearly one of the more interesting and detailed first posts of the thread.

I also think, there are certain differences between european and for example american sensibilities in general. So what? He didn't say anything offending there, did he? Czeslaw Milosz's book Vision from San Francisco Bay is an excellent book about these differences - magnificent depth. It's truly intriguing subject; not something we should ban because it's offending or condescending. It's not. Talk like this is not about particular persons, but about cultural history. Understanding history and certain cultural undercurrents might help us figure out, why perfumery - or taste in fragrances - in USA for example is different to that of France or England. Ok, now this is getting off-topic, since it isn't the main point at all here.

Katie Puckrick didn't have anything even remotely interesting to say about the fragrance; not that she even tried. It was not a review, it was a performance. WildThingy's image of white apple with black spots is interesting and something new. It smelling metallic and milky isn't. I've read many times, that if someone says he likes it, he must be lying. I think attitude like this - along with some rude comments - made WildThingy open this thread.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 11th October 2010 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    In other words, we Non-Europeans are simple, uneducated bufoons who are unable to appreciate some of the "finer" things in life.
    hmmm ... get the pun - that's a too simple thought ;-)

No, honest, the "review" by Katie was an other one in a row of uninspired bashings of the frag in question. It's o/k - no question - to dismiss the frag as unpleasent to nauseating whatever You like to think about it. To stage the disgust in public and to make up a competition on who's revolting reaction is the most entertaining isn't that polite, is it?

I'm not condescending here. I would like to remind You to respect other peoples feelings, whatever you share them or not. Maybe you miss in understanding them because of lacking experience with life, coastlines, antimatter, apples ... .

Just in case of strong dislikeing: how did the perfumer achieve that tremendous effect without reminding you of something specific? Art? One thing it is not: trivial.

Thank You!

No one ever said that.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Thank you WildThingy. I like this as a fragrance review. It is observant and articulate.

I do wish you could let go of the impulse to put your view in competition with those who disagree. You write well enough, even in a second language, for your words to stand on their own. Don't waste your time attacking a puff piece like Katie's review -- you're obviously putting more thought into her video than she did. I for one would much rather hear what you have to say about perfume, not about the silly things some people say or do with them to keep each other entertained.

(I myself have only sniffed S.M. on paper in a store. I found the top notes to be very unpleasant, with a sharp metallic quality that I expect must be the "iodine" note people talk about. But I moved on to other, more interesting things, so I don't really know S.M. well enough to pass judgment on it.)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Thank you WildThingy. ...
    I do wish you could let go of the impulse to put your view in competition with those who disagree. ...
    It's me to appreciate Your interest, thank You. Alas, in this case my intention is to get the SM out of the hole people on basenotes once threw it in. It is utterly o/k to dislike it, as long as You can be converted ;-)

Even disgust is of interest. You say it is the metal in it. Metal == rot == lipid per oxide (i'm not L Turin, though). I personally think that the metal is supernatural clean. Stunning. I just try to connect the "notes" to something known as with every frag. Regarding metal, what do You think about Habanita of Molinard. I found it unbearable because that was criminal dirty bloody, go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    What's up with the attitude of all the replies? This is clearly one of the more interesting and detailed first posts of the thread.

I also think, there are certain differences between european and for example american sensibilities in general. So what? He didn't say anything offending there, did he? Czeslaw Milosz's book Vision from San Francisco Bay is an excellent book about these differences - magnificent depth. It's truly intriguing subject; not something we should ban because it's offending or condescending. It's not. Talk like this is not about particular persons, but about cultural history. Understanding history and certain cultural undercurrents might help us figure out, why perfumery - or taste in fragrances - in USA for example is different to that of France or England. Ok, now this is getting off-topic, since it isn't the main point at all here.

Katie Puckrick didn't have anything even remotely interesting to say about the fragrance; not that she even tried. It was not a review, it was a performance. WildThingy's image of white apple with black spots is interesting and something new. It smelling metallic and milky isn't. I've read many times, that if someone says he likes it, he must be lying. I think attitude like this - along with some rude comments - made WildThingy open this thread.
    I agree with Johnny here in that Katie IS indeed an actress, and in between the comments on scent (which are often thoughtful), she has to chime in with the humour and the drama.

That said, I think all critics (food, perfume, art, film, etc) should me viewed as "people with an opinion," and not sayers of the gospel truth.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

hmmm ... get the pun - that's a too simple thought ;-)

No, honest, the "review" by Katie was an other one in a row of uninspired bashings of the frag in question. It's o/k - no question - to dismiss the frag as unpleasent to nauseating whatever You like to think about it. To stage the disgust in public and to make up a competition on who's revolting reaction is the most entertaining isn't that polite, is it?

I'm not condescending here. I would like to remind You to respect other peoples feelings, whatever you share them or not. Maybe you miss in understanding them because of lacking experience with life, coastlines, antimatter, apples ... .

Just in case of strong dislikeing: how did the perfumer achieve that tremendous effect without reminding you of something specific? Art? One thing it is not: trivial.

Thank You!
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    No one ever said that.
    I apologize if I read it wrong.

One of the great things about Basenotes is, for the most part, we all get along very well. That is not always the case on other forums.
    No hard feelings on my part.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

O/k, You have read it wrong. But - I get my shave today. Once in a while things have to be done ... .

Never mind!

Sur la Plage

Hi Folks,

I've been called names because of some hypercritic ciritique on Katie Puckricks nasty review of Secretions Magnifique of Etat Libre D'Orange <ref: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/261510-Funniest-review-ever-Katie-Puckrik-and-Secretions-Magnifiques!>

As You see, I've got a not so full bottle by now. When I lately sprayed it on another man he said it would smell pleasent, sexy. His mother agreed to that. Similarities to JOOP have been stated. In the end, this is the fifth out of six who didn't reject the "tear shedding penis" as horrid, repulsive or in an other way unbearable. The sixth person, a young girl got a foul note out of it. She has grown up in the city with only rarely going to the country side. Maybe that excuses her overreacting to the grain of salt within every perfume of French origin. Which herein is a nitro-something reminiscent of decomposing organic material. Hey, hays smell comes from that too!

Other, earlier reviews of European origin got it similar: not that bad, if bad at all, but strange, something to discover piece by piece.

I'm quite often at Loire Atlantique in France for vacation. St. Nazaire close to Nantes is my preferred place to go. When being there my GF and I enjoy oysters, bread, garlic, parsley and not at least the simple but terrific wine Muscadet Sevre Et Maine Sur Lie for diner. The people und us eat oysters as a snack after the farmers market - 10cc each, fresh from the region. If You as a perfume-o-holic lack that reference, chances are high that SM speaks in a foreign tounge. For instance the French at the western shoreline have a tradition to pick small snails direct from the surge for a feast. The contact to natures raise and fall may be more direct than possible in Hollywood, US not to mention NYC, where nature is smelly poisonous rot if it is present at all.

As said before my first reaction to SM was: white apple with black rotting spots on it. That and windfall, wet grass, trees bark, dewy flowers all over. In other words, that fragrance has blown me back in time. It was a complete picture, emotions of familiarity included of a lucky time of my childhood. My olfactory system couldn't get it first and had to search backward that far!

Maybe that I'm a little bit too old to jump on the bandwaggon. I'm as old as Katie and hardly resist to get my first platic surgery. Me as an experienced person of old European values and traditions think this fragrance has earned at least the merit of being once peculiar and hence a wothwhile chewing gumm for old farts who otherwise lost their impact. It is as synthetic as Beyond Paradise (which I own too) but French - consequently

I didn't find Secretions Magnifique to be one of the best things I have ever smelled. But I certainly did not find it repulsive, nor did it make me want to vomit. However I did live and work in Angers, France for 4 years, and spent a lot of time in the Loire Atlantique region eating oysters and drinking Muscadet Sevre Et Maine Sur Lie. So maybe that affected my palette.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

O/k, You have read it wrong. But - I get my shave today. Once in a while things have to be done ... .

Never mind!
    Huh?

Huh?
    All forgiven - it would haven been of more interest to get me shaved the other day anyway, so, You get it?

The 3 days beard on the photo above could be taken as insinuating, if at all You mind it, hair, grooming, secretions etc ...

One of the great things about Basenotes is, for the most part, we all get along very well. That is not always the case on other forums.
    No hard feelings on my part.
    It's all good now.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

All forgiven - it would haven been of more interest to get me shaved the other day anyway, so, You get it?

The 3 days beard on the photo above could be taken as insinuating, if at all You mind it, hair, grooming, secretions etc ...
    Oh. Alright...

I had a sample of SM and I didn't get anything like semen, blood, or any bodily fluids. That it smelled like to me is a dog that had jumped in a pool with lots of chlorine and then sat in the sun for a while. Dog Breath + Chlorine with some milky aspects. I remember one time someone had said they thought it smelled like someone had ground up a bunch of vitamins and pills, concentrated them, and then wore them as a fragrance, and that is also what I think it smells like. Anyway, I like your review! I do like Katie's review, but it was obviously just a quick, all in good fun review. I like hearing both sides to the fragrance =D
    I'm not your toy.

Oh. Alright...
    C'mon it's about fun!

Your curveball posts are definitely the most interesting read on Basenotes these days. Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    Your curveball posts ...
    It isn't meant as that. The insinuating hairy chin is an observation of my girl friend (I'm straight btw). She told me after posting it. I'm completely satisfied with the response to my initial post. Nobody is asked to like SM, though, a competition to show off with the most spectatcular disgust could be taken as mean.

I have to recreate my likeings while I'm wearing that famous dingy Dzing! for a while. Decomposing (!!-again-!!) paper and such ...

ps: she is fond of Encens Et Bubblegum incrementing her liking of Jasmin Et Cigarette of ELDO. An alteration in the end ...
    Last edited by WildThingy; 11th October 2010 at 09:11 PM.

Blog Entries

It isn't meant as that. The insinuating hairy chin is an observation of my girl friend (I'm straight btw). She told me after posting it. I'm completely satisfied with the response to my initial post. Nobody is asked to like SM, though, a competition to show off with the most spectatcular disgust could be taken as mean.

I have to recreate my likeings while I'm wearing that famous shitty Dzing! for a while. Decomposing (!!-again-!!) paper and such ...

ps: she is fond of Encens Et Bubblegum incrementing her liking of Jasmin Et Cigarette of ELDO. An alteration in the end ...
    Hey if you like it and it works for you, congrats! Alot of people hate A*Men and I love it so..exclusivity is never a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Hey if you like it and it works for you, congrats! Alot of people hate A*Men and I love it so..exclusivity is never a bad thing
    Isn't A*Men the frag that had to be renamed to Angel Men because the pun being read as "amen"? The phrase ending Mosaic prayers, derived from "Amon"/"Amun", an Egyptian god? Namely responsible for fertility ...

Welcome to purgatory!

- uups! Did it again ...
    Last edited by WildThingy; 11th October 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Isn't A*Men the frag that had to be renamed to Angel Men because the pun being read as "amen"? The phrase ending Mosaic prayers, derived from "Amon"/"Amun", an Egyptian god? Namely responsible for fertility ...

Welcome to purgatory!
    Yeah, its Angel Men (Angel for Men is the full name really). It was called A*Men in the US due to copyright issues, but I think the issue is over so its going back to its full name (? someone please correct me if im wrong)

Glad you posted a review! Actually, I don't think there's a need for this to be in reference to Katie's - it's perfectly fine to post reviews all your own here, in fact it's encouraged. I think mentioning Katie's only resurfaces unnecessary drama from that thread.

Secretions still strikes me as foul on re-testing, but I don't mind Charogne, which if anything, has an even fouler association. For some reason indole strikes horror into many folks but it doesn't do that to me, so it's not so strange that reactions to Secretions are variable.

Ahhh! I was so excited to try Charogne and boy...I sure was not prepared for that one. Smells like someone melted a big pot of cheese and put some bubblegum and jasmine in it. Blech.
    I'm not your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Glad you posted a review!
    Katies would have been o/k if it was the first one of that peticular kind, But it was the third, so it became a bit unpleasent lately.

I did a review of that review. Tried to correct an issue or two. That's all. Cry out, shedd Your tears, express yourself, but don't do it for a competition of disgust. Because of that would be self referential. Thank You!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post

I agree 100 percent.

I'm just happy that the users of this fragrance are accross the ocean, so the chances that i found someone here wearing are minimal. I don't dare to even call this nonsense a fragrance, it's so nasty, nauseating, that i don't think it deserve to be called a fragrance. I'd vomit if i were forced to be at the same place with a person that wears this horrible thing. I had a mini of this one, and i had to keep it isolated of my wardrobe, because the smell was contaminating my other fragrances. Close to the bottle like the pic, the scent could cause me nauseas. The worst aroma that i have ever smelled on my life. Nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty!

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    The worst aroma that i have ever smelled on my life. Nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty, nasty!
    As someone close to perfume making by being a very delicate customer/consumer - by what does it do the trick to keep you at a ocean wide distance?
    Last edited by WildThingy; 12th October 2010 at 12:14 AM.

As someone close to perfume making by being a very delicate customer/consumer - by what does it do the trick to keep you at a ocean wide distance?
    So i'll not have a chance to even catch a light smell of this one. I leaved my mini edp to a encounter that we made here, to test it on other skins to see if it could work in someone - and it didn't worked in no one. And it's a scent that refuses to go away, and one of my friend dab it liberally at his wrist. Everytime that he moved his arm i was able to detect the aroma, and always wanted to vomit. It's one of that smells that is hard to control what you feel - it's like concentrated sweat of someone that it didn't took a shower for months. It's not similar to sweat, but it causes the same reaction, that makes you run for fresh air. SM has to me dog's vomit and egg aroma. I tried that thing on skin, and had to wash it, it made me feel very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    So i'll not have a chance to even catch a light smell of this one. I leaved my mini edp to a encounter that we made here, to test it on other skins to see if it could work in someone - and it didn't worked in no one. And it's a scent that refuses to go away, and one of my friend dab it liberally at his wrist. Everytime that he moved his arm i was able to detect the aroma, and always wanted to vomit. It's one of that smells that is hard to control what you feel - it's like concentrated sweat of someone that it didn't took a shower for months. It's not similar to sweat, but it causes the same reaction, that makes you run for fresh air. SM has to me dog's vomit and egg aroma. I tried that thing on skin, and had to wash it, it made me feel very bad.
    I'm sorry for that. Here in Europe the fragrance fits (some kind of) into the assemblage of all day odors. As said, the response of all day people wasn't bad at all. To the opposite the scent was described as being sexy, whatever that is (if You could please pardon my age).

Frank Zappa, The poodle bites: http://www.lyricstime.com/frank-zapp...ve-lyrics.html

I'll ignore your cheap aroma
    And your little-bo-peep diploma
    I'll just put you in a coma
    With some dirty love
    Some dirty love
    That dirty love
    That dirty love

THE POODLE BITES!
    (Come on, Frenchie)
    THE POODLE CHEWS IT!
    (Snap it!)
    THE POODLE BITES!
    (Come on, Frenchie)
    THE POODLE CHEWS IT!
    (Snap it!)

8-)
    Last edited by WildThingy; 12th October 2010 at 12:37 AM.

SM is proof that bad press is better than no press. How many of us would've even bothered to try it, let alone seek it out, if not for its infamy? KP did SM the biggest favor of all.

I wonder if Katie Puckrick had called her video, "Secretions Magnifique live sampling" it would have changed things. If we knew she wasn't even trying to review it, and was more or less a reaction video akin to those of the 2 girls one cup reaction videos.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    SM is proof that bad press is better than no press. How many of us would've even bothered to try it, let alone seek it out, if not for its infamy? KP did SM the biggest favor of all.
    I would have tried it for being an Etat Libre D'Orange. I like the art concept. Even price wise they try to bring perfume back to wider interest. Some hyperbole is allowed with that. The kernel seems to have playfull fun, which has been missing due to the overload of erotism (sic!) that common perfumery has to bear. Got the twist? It has begun with the kitsch of Guerlains Mitsouko/Jicky/Shalimar - the love stories behind the names - to evolve fragrance into the overt sex up my body utility of today, iconographic advertising included.

With SM the punch line is in the fragrance as to speak with L Turin. 'Think Encens Et Bubblegum is the next unavoidable purchase. But it could be Arabie instead or Habit Rouge.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 12th October 2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: words fail me

Wink Re: Secretions Magnifique - a review reviewed

The contact to natures raise and fall may be more direct than possible in Hollywood, US not to mention NYC, where nature is smelly poisonous rot if it is present at all.

I've not tested SM, but on your opinion of enjoying 'natural' smells more than Americans, I'll say this: I'm almost 40, born and raised in Southern California, lived here all my life. I've spent three weeks of my life in France, out of 40 years. The 3 worst experiences I've ever had in my life, in terms of being in the same room as someone with repulsive, terrible body odor all occurred in France (at the Louvre, at a trade show, and in a restaurant). Maybe I just had bad luck. Maybe you're more 'attuned' and 'accepting' of 'natural' body odors than those of us in Southern California (Hollywood), with our smog, sagebrush tumbleweeds, oak trees, licorice, deodorant, daily bathing and desert underbrush 'natural rot'. Me, I'm not so much a fan of the smell of people who haven't showered in two weeks.

The bottle has a penis with sprinkling semen - it's supposed to be jarring and unconventional, yes?

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I think it's fair to say that most people would find applying a semen smell to their body as less attractive than, well, just about anything else. If that makes me unrefined and incapable of accepting 'natural' smells, then so be it. With the hundreds of colognes out there, I'll pass on the 'blood, metal and semen' arrangements. To each their own. I appreciated the video review, and I appreciate yours.

Icelandic proverb: Every man likes the smell of his own farts.

I lived in Europe for 3 years, I never came across anyone that smelled or would want to smell like S.M. It is false to claim Europeans as liberated souls that are in more "in tune" with bodily odours and hence accepting of S.M. The people I met there would gag on the c^%p.

I can deal with niche releases that are so avant garde that they become borderline unwearable but S.M is plain revolting. It contradicts what a perfume is meant to be.

AromiErotici

For the very life of me, I cannot make heads or tails out of these remarks. All I know is that SM sucks the big wazoo.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    For the very life of me, I cannot make heads or tails out of these remarks. All I know is that SM sucks the big wazoo.
    +1 !!!. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Blog Entries

Thanks WildThingy for your thoughtful review. I acquired the Coffret of ELdO 16 scents, and this one was interesting. It actually reminded me of egg-whites, before being made into meringue, nothing sulfuric, just something I had not expected to smell. It was the main note, and I felt there was something really pleasantly floral being restrained underneath. This one is not for me, but then, neither was Je Suis Un Homme, which was the first aromatic fougére I've experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I lived in Europe for 3 years, I never came across anyone that smelled or would want to smell like S.M. It is false to claim Europeans as liberated souls that are in more "in tune" with bodily odours and hence accepting of S.M. The people I met there would gag on the c^%p.

I can deal with niche releases that are so avant garde that they become borderline unwearable but S.M is plain revolting. It contradicts what a perfume is meant to be.
    Agree. Being of European decent myself, and having lived there as well, I've had to do what typical kids of Italian rural families do, namely be involved and assist with the slaughtering and butchering of assorted animals - cows, pigs, sheep, chickens. I found the smell of their hot internal organs somewhat unpleasant. But in comparison to SM, they smell like roses.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Hi Folks,

French perfumes should smell gud, not like this :- /
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

fountain

Hi Folks,

thank you WildThingy for an interesting well-written take on the 'controversial' fragrance.

I am European, I love the concept of SM, but find it unquestionably abominable, unless of course a person is anosmic to certain rotten nitriles (according to some recent research, pretty much for any molecule, there's somebody who's anosmic).

But he bottle in the pic seems a store tester, so is wildthingy serious, or did he just take a pic in a store and pretend he's been using it? (and, for all we know, he could have simply decanted it for other people).

If not, more importantly, where can one buy the bottle with the whimsical label? I wanted to buy SM soon, but this side of the ocean I only see the 50ml bottle, which regrettably has only a generic label.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by california71 View Post
    I've not tested SM, but on your opinion of enjoying 'natural' smells more than Americans, I'll say this: I'm almost 40, born and raised in Southern California, lived here all my life. I've spent three weeks of my life in France, out of 40 years. The 3 worst experiences I've ever had in my life, in terms of being in the same room as someone with repulsive, terrible body odor all occurred in France (at the Louvre, at a trade show, and in a restaurant). Maybe I just had bad luck. Maybe you're more 'attuned' and 'accepting' of 'natural' body odors than those of us in Southern California (Hollywood), with our smog, sagebrush tumbleweeds, oak trees, licorice, deodorant, daily bathing and desert underbrush 'natural rot'. Me, I'm not so much a fan of the smell of people who haven't showered in two weeks.

The bottle has a penis with sprinkling semen - it's supposed to be jarring and unconventional, yes?

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I think it's fair to say that most people would find applying a semen smell to their body as less attractive than, well, just about anything else. If that makes me unrefined and incapable of accepting 'natural' smells, then so be it. With the hundreds of colognes out there, I'll pass on the 'blood, metal and semen' arrangements. To each their own. I appreciated the video review, and I appreciate yours.

Icelandic proverb: Every man likes the smell of his own farts.
    @California71
    You know, strange you should say that about the French vis-à-vis body odour. (Which, by the way, always seems to be the typical ubiquitous insulting Yank viewpoint regarding the "great unwashed French"). I, on the other hand, knew someone with the absolute worst body odour I'd yet come across (& who refused point blank to use deodorant/perfume of any kind, to help soften the blow). And he, believe it or not, was actually a fellow Californian. ~ So, point being, I'll wager you find "rank body odour" pretty much in any corner of the globe ! ...
    Besides, don't we have "body odour" to thank for the probable primary reason perfumery was even first developed in the first place ?!? ~ (And the subsequent glorious reasoning behind a pinch of castoreum/civit/indole/musk et al ....... ).

And regarding SM, I'd suggest you really shouldn't take all the "blood spit and spunk" marketing crap as gospel criteria for judging a scent which has yet to pass your nose. I mean, I can fully understand how a male (especially a full-on hetero' one ;o) might immediately shy-away/feel threatened(?)/revolted by a fragrance with purported spunk notes and a spouting penis on the bottle. But you could very well find, like I did (and everyone else I asked), that the actual fragrance as a whole doesn't actually smell anything like the purported bodily notes. Or rather that it's outcome is greater than the sum of it's parts. (Or you might find vague references, but only if you convince your mind to find them ;o) If on the other hand you ignore all the very clever marketing "mumbo-jumbo", you might even find you might even enjoy the fragrance after all !?? (As I've certainly been surprised to enjoy many a fragrance which actually contain notes which in isolation I dislike). ...
    Just a suggestion. You might even surprise yourself ? And if not, and you still find it disagreeable. At least then you can do so from an actual informed basis. And not just on the basis of a racy bottle/pic alone. Which is rather unfair, not !?

And by the by, ... I may be alone here, ... but I certainly do NOT enjoy the smell of my own farts. )

@ WildThingy : ... I totally agree that SM has been very unfairly demonised. And it's certainly nowhere near as disagreeable as it's been made out to be. I think most of the revolt is really due to the power of suggestion, and distorted associations. ~ I guarantee that if people first smelled the fragrance knowing nothing about it or it's contained notes/ad-copy/image, their reactions would be very different and waaaay more agreeable. ...
    I find it especially interesting for the fact the every time I go back to it, it manages to smell completely different from what I remembered it. And I smell some further new facet each time. It also manages to smell very different on all the people I've tried it on, (markedly so, more so than other fragrances, almost like a completely different fragrance altogether. ~No mean feat !)
    And I totally agree that if I had to associate it to any other fragrance, (something I've never been able to do before due to it's singular character). I must say, I think Beyond Paradise is actually pretty much spot-on ! ~ (Although I actually dislike Beyond Paradise immensely. Probably as much as most people dislike SM (LOL) ~ I think SM a far superior fragrance to BP in every possible way !
    There is however one very minor thing you mentioned that I just do NOT agree with at all. I find absolutely NO resemblance whatsoever, not even in the slightest, between SM and JOOP ! (WTF ??? I don't know where you coming from there ???) ~ To me, if anything, they are more like polar opposites really ! ~ (Sorry ! )
    (Oh, unless you meant : a scent that greatly divided opinion ??)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 4th March 2011 at 01:54 AM.

^^^ I just skimmed... but, really, you don't like the smell of your own farts?! come on! it's ok to admit it.. really... ;-)
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    ^^^ I just skimmed... but, really, you don't like the smell of your own farts?! come on! it's ok to admit it.. really... ;-)
    Yep, I can seriously say in this case, I much prefer the smell of SM (or on reflection, perhaps my own spunk ? ;o) more so than the smell of my own farts. NO contest, SM wins hands down !

And though I admire it, find it interesting, and therefore defend it. Unfortunately still not quite enough to find it FBW. (A mediumish decant has been more than enough, thankyou )

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Yep, I can seriously say in this case, I much prefer the smell of SM (or on reflection, perhaps my own spunk ? ;o) more so than the smell of my own farts. NO contest, SM wins hands down !

And though I admire it, find it interesting, and therefore defend it. Unfortunately still not quite enough to find it FBW. (A mediumish decant has been more than enough, thankyou )
    Me either, the bottle actually is a shops tester, that I bought. They thought it would be o/k to let it go, now that the negative hype is over. ELdO itself states that Jasmine Et Cigarettes and SM (!!) are their bestsellers.

To clearify things, I would not tell anybody is lacking something if not likeing SM. Most recently I tried it again, and there it was, that metallic smell and nothing else. It lasted one or two hours and was overwhelmingly strong! But then in a sudden, may be by fatigue it was blown away.

What SM reminded me after that was what it says. But, stay tuned, it was great, had the same power as the topnote(s): chestnut, slightly roasted, the variant You can buy in Western Europe on Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Fair). And, the reference was the female who occasionally - You know, it happens even to a prim scholar as me sometimes that he falls in love, I had to sniff all over her ... . There is definitely a common demominator of these three smells ... . And know what, I like particularly that smell. It reminds me of good times I had and will hopefully have on and on. It is not the smell of decomposing stuff, but - people are rather bigot sometimes.

Perfume is since Guerlain a matter of erotic engagement - Jicky, Mitsouko, Shalimar, all about love stories. By that time 1900+ a rather new idea it was to connect perfume mentaly to erotics by a "story", the so called scoop. ELdO and esp. with SM mimicks that as a hyperbole. Well done IMHO.

As far as people like Katie, who is "of otherwise indenyable interlectual credit" go silly about words and the idea that human semen has some kind of a smell, o/k. She describes herself as a former groupy. What then was that?! Do people think that mankind proliferates by offshoots?

Btw: SM is NOT suposed to smell of spunk, but JICKY stinks of cat's number two!

An other thought, technically: What pulled me in in the first place was the gap between the metallic overly fresh "nitrile" and the floral components. That gap is what reminded me of the partly rotting white/green apples, windfall of my youth. There is no ongoing foul around. Nitril-ic smell signals totally rotten, decomposed proteine. Nitril is the afterglow of foul. In SM the intermediate states are missing. SM is high contrast.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 4th March 2011 at 06:05 PM.

fountain

Me either, the bottle actually is a shops tester, that I bought. They thought it would be o/k to let it go, now that the negative hype is over. ELdO itself states that Jasmine Et Cigarettes and SM (!!) are their bestsellers.

To clearify things, I would not tell anybody is lacking something if not likeing SM. Most recently I tried it again, and there it was, that metallic smell and nothing else. It lasted one or two hours and was overwhelmingly strong! But then in a sudden, may be by fatigue it was blown away.

What SM reminded me after that was what it says. But, stay tuned, it was great, had the same power as the topnote(s): chestnut, slightly roasted, the variant You can buy in Western Europe on Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Fair). And, the reference was the female who occasionally - You know, it happens even to a prim scholar as me sometimes that he falls in love, I had to sniff all over her ... . There is definitely a common demominator of these three smells ... . And know what, I like particularly that smell. It reminds me of good times I had and will hopefully have on and on. It is not the smell of decomposing stuff, but - people are rather bigot sometimes.

Perfume is since Guerlain a matter of erotic engagement - Jicky, Mitsouko, Shalimar, all about love stories. By that time 1900+ a rather new idea it was to connect perfume mentaly to erotics by a "story", the so called scoop. ELdO and esp. with SM mimicks that as a hyperbole. Well done IMHO.

As far as people like Katie, who is "of otherwise indenyable interlectual credit" go silly about words and the idea that human semen has some kind of a smell, o/k. She describes herself as a former groupy. What then was that?! Do people think that mankind proliferates by offshoots?

another inspiring post, WildThingy.

Tried this about a half an hour ago. Don't believe the hype because it's not that scary. I was prepared after reading many reviews and seeing Katie's, to smell something absolutely horrible, instead I got salty ocean water with soft florals and musk and like Fred360 said: egg whites. Yep folks, that's as scary as it gets. Now excuse me while I go layer it with a bit of MKK to really take myself over the top.

Neither the "good" nor "bad" reviews of SM led me to think that I'd like it. I am surprised that so many people feel the need to sample certain frags when there is no reason to believe that they would like the frag. Is this the olfactory equivalent of "rubber necking" at the scene of a car accident?

Had never seen any of the reviews prior to trying this a while back. I just didn't care that much for it when I tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Rochambeau View Post
    Tried this about a half an hour ago. Don't believe the hype because it's not that scary. I was prepared after reading many reviews and seeing Katie's, to smell something absolutely horrible, instead I got salty ocean water with soft florals and musk and like Fred360 said: egg whites. Yep folks, that's as scary as it gets. Now excuse me while I go layer it with a bit of MKK to really take myself over the top.
    I know, right !? ... I couldn't agree with you more. ... I think "Secretions Magnifiques" has become the perfume world's perfect example of hyperbole to the max.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 1st December 2011 at 12:12 AM.

I tested this twice and have a decant. I will own it one day out of principle because I love ELdO. I just think that some noses are immune to whatever "disgusting" note is in there. I almost threw up twice and I have a VERY strong stomach. SM is the only frag I've reviewed on here. It smells (more than anything IMO) to the smell of a wound that has stopped bleeding and is trying to heal. I do think it is artistic though...like modern art.

In defense of Katie, I don't think she was "performing" per se, she was testing it live (as someone said earlier) and was just displaying her visceral reaction. I thought it was particularly funny, because everything she said about it, I could totally see where she was coming from.

We all know that frags are elusive.....we all have to just like what we like and leave the rest, I think.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Neither the "good" nor "bad" reviews of SM led me to think that I'd like it. I am surprised that so many people feel the need to sample certain frags when there is no reason to believe that they would like the frag. Is this the olfactory equivalent of "rubber necking" at the scene of a car accident?
    Yes, but how do you really know until you've tried it yourself, with your own nose and on your own skin ??? When it comes to other people's take (reviews) on a scent, I've more often than not found that my own personal experience of a scent is actually miles removed from other's reviews. ...
    And besides, there is also such a thing as "curiosity", (which, it seems by your comment, you don't seem to possess much of). ) ... After all the hype there is no way I wouldn't want to experience it for myself (mostly to find out if it was warranted ??). And personally I found that it didn't. It's been totally blown out of proportion IMO. I don't find SM offensive in the least !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 1st December 2011 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    OK we get it , you love it , Katie didnt . Let it go ....
    +1 .
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I know, right !? ... I couldn't agree with you more. ... I think "Secretions Magnifiques" has become the perfume world's perfect example of hyperbole to the max.
    Yeah, and that hype was propelled mostly by demure US-Americans who took the picture and the name (after not so accurate translation) literally. They - reiterated - not even got the story behind the composition: it is meant to be an abstract analogue to s.e.x.ual suspense. Hence it is first of all not clean, conventional, muted. While depending on well known ingredients it still is different. Now as it is the time for it, autumn, try to have a bite of an uncooked chestnut. It is quite sour, isn't it? When cooked it develops some sweet aspects that may become stuffy. Compare that to the development of SM!

On the other hand, if someone really is that anxious about his smell of her, SM won't do the trick. So SM won't do it for the most of us. I wonder how someone could possibly pile up a severe amount of whatever is considered to be "perfume", but miss any experimental stuff which may bear a challenge. To me that looks like a marionette hanging in the threads of commerce. The new "pure malt", U kno ... and not to forget about CREED, Amen