Code of Conduct

Default Creed Spice & Wood

I stopped by the Creed store in Manhattan today and was lucky enough to get a sample vial and a generous wearing of Spice and Wood. My initial impression is that it is very restrained and super-smooth. This is a classy fragrance, no loud cloud no matter how many sprays (and I must have used 7-8 sprays). It seems to project at the same noble volume as Windsor.

What does it smell like? It certainly is, well, wood and spice. Though the wood is, according to the breakdown, in the base, I smelled it from the start. It's cedar, but not a Terre D'Hermes cedar. This wood is present, but quiet. I picked up a hint of lemon, a touch of apple, and lots of silky smooth wood.

An hour or so into it, the spices really came out and the wood took a backseat. Still there, just taking a breather in the back. At this point, a bit to my disappointment, the apple and spices came alive and resembled, at least to my nose, L'Anarchiste -- which I like, but don't love. (The S/A told me he relates W&S to Malle's Bois D'Orage.) The good news is, an hour later, the wood and spice met, the apple quieted, and the real beauty of this frag came alive. To my nose, the apple is present at the same level that the pineapple is in Aventus. I've smelled most of the Creed line and to me, there are no similar frags from the House to compare this to.

I put myself on the list for a bottle, but I really need to do some thinking. I need a few more wears to really get to know this stranger. This could be love, just not love at first, um, whiff. I remembering having mixed feelings about Aventus, but by the second wearing, I had my Holy Grail.

After trying this on, I immediately got into the car and my female partner from work told me that it smelled sexy, refined and EXPENSIVE. I think so too, but it's the EXPENSIVE part which keeps me from getting too excited. More to come after a few more wearings...
    Last edited by MikeNY; 11th October 2010 at 10:08 PM.

Default Re: Creed Spice & Wood

fantastic!
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Apple being as prominent as the Pineapple in Aventus has me hopeful.
    As I liked the apple in Cereus #4, Baldinini, L'Anarchiste, & Burberry London.
    But the sillage and longevity resembling windsor makes me think this isn't the winter powerhouse EDP I was expecting. Because even though Windsor is clearly denoted by CREED as an EDP on it's packaging, we all know it's sillage and longevity are more EDT-like, and alot of the oils it uses are subtle and discreet, even at high applications.

Would you say the cedar note is the same as the dry cedar/tonka accord used in Windsor?
    Are there any other scents you feel share with Spice&Wood, besides L'Anarchiste?
    Is the spice at all like Opus 1870, with alot of pepper?
    Or much more clove/cinnamic, with minimal pepper?
    is there alot more of the same musk accord used in Aventus?
    What are the florals (angelica, rose, iris) like?

i need to try this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Apple being as prominent as the Pineapple in Aventus has me hopeful.
    As I liked the apple in Cereus #4, Baldinini, L'Anarchiste, & Burberry London.
    But the sillage and longevity resembling windsor makes me think this isn't the winter powerhouse EDP I was expecting. Because even though Windsor is clearly denoted by CREED as an EDP on it's packaging, we all know it's sillage and longevity are more EDT-like, and alot of the oils it uses are subtle and discreet, even at high applications.

Would you say the cedar note is the same as the dry cedar/tonka accord used in Windsor?
    Are there any other scents you feel share with Spice&Wood, besides L'Anarchiste?
    Is the spice at all like Opus 1870, with alot of pepper?
    Or much more clove/cinnamic, with minimal pepper?
    is there alot more of the same musk accord used in Aventus?
    What are the florals (angelica, rose, iris) like?
    I'm getting something in common with Aventus, minimally, but I can't put my finger on it. The birch is supposedly consistent between the two, but I'm not getting the birch right now in W&S. The birch in Aventus is my favorite part.

I'll be wearing Windsor on Thursday to a special event so I can do a better comparison -- it's been a few months since I've worn it.

As for the florals, I think I'm getting a little rose, but it's so far back, I'm not sure yet. I don't know what angelica smells like, so I can't pull it out here. Clove seems to be one of the main spices here. The others I can't quite identify. I'm not getting any cinnamon. I don't know Opus 1870, so I can't really compare it. So far, L'Anarchiste keeps coming to mind. I'm hesitant to say it's the alleged "pot-pourri" note because that would unfairly cheapen Spice and Wood -- it clearly does not smell cheap.

A comparison to L'Anarchiste is like saying "SoS, you NEED to try this."

Commence drooling.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I will say it's a bit intimidating being the first to post a "review" of such a high-profile frag. I'm only in the game a couple years and still have trouble disecting a scent. It'd be interesting to see what the pros think of this and see how far I've come.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    I will say it's a bit intimidating being the first to post a "review" of such a high-profile frag. I'm only in the game a couple years and still have trouble disecting a scent. It'd be interesting to see what the pros think of this and see how far I've come.
    Your notes were great. What you shared was what you experienced.

Brilliant post. Thank you!

I'm getting something in common with Aventus, minimally, but I can't put my finger on it. The birch is supposedly consistent between the two, but I'm not getting the birch right now in W&S. The birch in Aventus is my favorite part.

I'll be wearing Windsor on Thursday to a special event so I can do a better comparison -- it's been a few months since I've worn it.

As for the florals, I think I'm getting a little rose, but it's so far back, I'm not sure yet. I don't know what angelica smells like, so I can't pull it out here. Clove seems to be one of the main spices here. The others I can't quite identify. I'm not getting any cinnamon. I don't know Opus 1870, so I can't really compare it. So far, L'Anarchiste keeps coming to mind. I'm hesitant to say it's the alleged "pot-pourri" note because that would unfairly cheapen Spice and Wood -- it clearly does not smell cheap.
    Angelica is why the Bois D'Orage comparison exists methinks. Angelica is a fresh, watery/airy green floral note, very fresh and green. As for the L'Anarchiste, is it more or less sweet than L'Anarchiste? It must smell More "dry/parched/dusty" than L'Anarchiste, right? L'Anarchiste to me always smelled very fruity/thick/wet in it's top-heartnotes.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Your notes were great. What you shared was what you experienced.
    Exactly man, don't feel that you need to compare it to other expensive scents, compare it to what you know, follow your instincts. If it smells like____, no matter if____ is a donut, an air freshener, a toothpaste, potpourri, whatever! Any and all of your impressions are valued and valid.

Basenotes Institution

So this is already for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So this is already for sale?
    I think officially Nov 1

Basenotes Institution

Thanks MikeNY. I love Windsor, so I look forward to smelling this one.

Thanks for posting MikeNY - great overall intro! The Aventus, Anarchiste, clove references all very helpful for me as an indication of what's to come - look forward to trying this.

This one sounds promising
    but the Apple threw me off for a second
    only one way to know for sure
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Thanks for your write up MikeNY. I went in for a decant split, as this looked promising to me when I first read about it and it sounds even better than I initially thought it would be, so I can't wait to get my fingers on this one

Thanks Mike. Sounds very interesting.

I can only hope the buggers sell it here in the UK as well!
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Got a sample recently and thought I would share my opinion.

After application, there is an immediate blast of pepper and sense of “dryness”. This dryness is certainly the wood, but it’s not “pencil-shavings” wood nor is it a petroleum wood oil. This is kind of like what hits you with Cypres Musc. As one reviewer said of that fragrance, it’s like standing in a saw-mill with wood chips flying all around you. This mixes with the lemons and reminds me slightly of Bois de Cedrat at the start. I get maybe 10% bergamot and maybe 3% apples. If apple were not listed in the top notes by CREED, I would not identify it at all.

It settles down after a somewhat chaotic opening into an absolute wonderland of spice. Make no mistake, spice is the big man on campus here, not wood. The clove oil and angelic root play off each other to form a composition that is extremely unique and successful. The pepper settles down, as does the wood. The wood seems to form a canvas on which the spice displays its art. Don’t be afraid of clove here. It’s not Bois de Portugal, which is a huge overbearing wet clove. This is a light, airy, cold and dry clove… whose sweetness is kept in line by the angelic root. This produces eversoslight licorice and cinnamon accords. But don’t worry, I hate licorice… this isn’t like that.

After an hour or two, the base starts to shine through. Here are the similarities to Aventus, due to the oakmoss and birch. Some liken it to “burnt rubber”. I liken it to “smells good”. Not as sweet as the Aventus base... the iris keeps this classy and buttoned up.

All in all, this is a masterpiece of a fragrance. Much like Sublime Vanille, these Royal Exclusive scents are clearly made with an attention to craftsmanship and detail that is clearly above the rest of the Creed line (with the exception of Windsor). There is a delicacy in these two frags that is quite extraordinary. The two are very different though. Sublime Vanille is a strict and unwavering dedication to the scent of vanilla, and pulls it off on a level that makes it a benchmark to which all other vanilla fragrances are measured.

Spice and Wood, however, is a symphony of many different accords, all of the highest quality, all playing together wonderfully to give the wearer the ride of a lifetime. An enigmatic dreamy experience reminiscent of the best aspect of Love in Black. It is NOT (as has been mentioned here before) anything like Original Santal. I have OS, and enjoy it. This ain’t it. It can though fill the role of a “young man’s Bois de Portugal”. However, like Aventus, a very progressive and modern fragrance. This doesn't harken back to anything old-school. It has about the same projection, sillage, and longevity as Windsor. This fragrance is pretty well gone after two hours. If that bothers you, go get Burberry London. This here is a different ballgame. This exudes class, and as Mike's lady friend said, it does smell expensive.

It definitely gives off a vibe of wintery goodness. As I’m smelling this, I picture warming up next to the fire on a cold December evening before Christmas, sipping on some hot cider & whiskey. Basically, if the terms SPICE and WOOD appeal to you, you will adore this... much like if VANILLA appeals to you, you will be crazy about Sublime Vanille.

Be excited, CREED fans. Be very excited!

Nice review fugazi, and welcome to Basenotes

Quite a first post Fugazi, and it has my hopes back up for Spice & Wood, except the longevity part. Windsor is my favorite fragrance O.A.T., but the longevity of those incredibly beautiful top and heart notes seems never enough, I guess that's why I buy so much of it, to reapply often, as well as supplementing the freshness and crispness with it's closest peer in the fragrance world, Prelude to Love.

Hopefully, Spice and Wood's longevity or sillage are less discreet than Windsor. Creed needs another loud masculine, this time, a contemporary loud masculine that is not in any way gourmand. Fingers still crossed for Spice and Wood filling that role.

I've never been part of one before, but is anyone hosting a split?

From everything I'm reading and smelling about the recent Creeds, it seems they are shifting to more subtle and transparent style of compositions, but a dense and powerful masculine would be quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    From everything I'm reading and smelling about the recent Creeds, it seems they are shifting to more subtle and transparent style of compositions, but a dense and powerful masculine would be quite interesting.
    I fear this is true as well.

I don't mind subtle, but transparent is no good.

One of the main qualitative superlatives of the creed line (for me) was their relative opaqueness, even their fresh scents like GIT and MI had very opaque basenotes. This opaque quality added a sense of thorough natural richness and class that the transparent designer frags couldn't compete with. Stepping away from the opaque would remove an integral part of their appeal of the line for me. The only texturally transparent creed that worked for me was Original Vetiver.

I heard it is transparent as well, we will see how it goes down on my skin. I will be getting a sample soon so I will see if i can make some comparisions to another cologne or something I have smelled elsewhere. I am very interested in experiencing this fragrance it has been the talk of the town for some time.

perhaps that's why that one review said that Creed is going "Hermes" on us. Which is ridiculous. Voyage is weak crap. This packs quite a punch. that review likening its "punch" to Cuir de Russie is spot on.

it's not transparent. it's ethereal, and it transitions from note to note rapidly... hence the "dreamlike" quality. If you are looking for some Tobacco Vanille thing where you spray it on and it just sits there and blares at 145 decibles for 12 hours until you are utterly sick of it, then this isn't for you.

also, unlike Tobacco Vanille, which smells like someone has rubbed a piece of chocolate-raspberry fudge cake on my skin, I wouldn't consider this "gourmand" at all... which is tricky for a spice-based frag to pull off (for obvious reasons). Creed's other spice frag, Epicea, smells like Indian food and is pretty repellent to me. This is nothing like that thank god. That's a "dirty spice". This, however, is a very clean spice.

and i was a little hard on the apples. apple is there, but it weaves in and out. sometimes it's quite apparent, sometimes it's invisible. when i wrote my review up there, it was hiding at the time :-)
    Last edited by fugazi; 15th October 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fugazi View Post
    Got a sample recently and thought I would share my opinion.

After application, there is an immediate blast of pepper and sense of “dryness”. This dryness is certainly the wood, but it’s not “pencil-shavings” wood nor is it a petroleum wood oil. This is kind of like what hits you with Cypres Musc. As one reviewer said of that fragrance, it’s like standing in a saw-mill with wood chips flying all around you. This mixes with the lemons and reminds me slightly of Bois de Cedrat at the start. I get maybe 10% bergamot and maybe 3% apples. If apple were not listed in the top notes by CREED, I would not identify it at all.

It settles down after a somewhat chaotic opening into an absolute wonderland of spice. Make no mistake, spice is the big man on campus here, not wood. The clove oil and angelic root play off each other to form a composition that is extremely unique and successful. The pepper settles down, as does the wood. The wood seems to form a canvas on which the spice displays its art. Don’t be afraid of clove here. It’s not Bois de Portugal, which is a huge overbearing wet clove. This is a light, airy, cold and dry clove… whose sweetness is kept in line by the angelic root. This produces eversoslight licorice and cinnamon accords. But don’t worry, I hate licorice… this isn’t like that.

After an hour or two, the base starts to shine through. Here are the similarities to Aventus, due to the oakmoss and birch. Some liken it to “burnt rubber”. I liken it to “smells good”. Not as sweet as the Aventus base... the iris keeps this classy and buttoned up.

All in all, this is a masterpiece of a fragrance. Much like Sublime Vanille, these Royal Exclusive scents are clearly made with an attention to craftsmanship and detail that is clearly above the rest of the Creed line (with the exception of Windsor). There is a delicacy in these two frags that is quite extraordinary. The two are very different though. Sublime Vanille is a strict and unwavering dedication to the scent of vanilla, and pulls it off on a level that makes it a benchmark to which all other vanilla fragrances are measured.

Spice and Wood, however, is a symphony of many different accords, all of the highest quality, all playing together wonderfully to give the wearer the ride of a lifetime. An enigmatic dreamy experience reminiscent of the best aspect of Love in Black. It is NOT (as has been mentioned here before) anything like Original Santal. I have OS, and enjoy it. This ain’t it. It can though fill the role of a “young man’s Bois de Portugal”. However, like Aventus, a very progressive and modern fragrance. This doesn't harken back to anything old-school. It has about the same projection, sillage, and longevity as Windsor. This fragrance is pretty well gone after two hours. If that bothers you, go get Burberry London. This here is a different ballgame. This exudes class, and as Mike's lady friend said, it does smell expensive.

It definitely gives off a vibe of wintery goodness. As I’m smelling this, I picture warming up next to the fire on a cold December evening before Christmas, sipping on some hot cider & whiskey. Basically, if the terms SPICE and WOOD appeal to you, you will adore this... much like if VANILLA appeals to you, you will be crazy about Sublime Vanille.

Be excited, CREED fans. Be very excited!
    Strange thing is, Fugazi, I agree with every single descriptive point in this review, stage for stage, note for note emphasis and such. It does start with that superdry peppery blast, with only tiny bits of lemon and apple, you're correct. The cedar certainly isn't the cheap petrol-cedar, it's the very dry variety like Windsor. The clove certainly isn't what everyone expects, it's a very dry/aged/muted Clove, making even the "fine old clove" iso-eugenol look fresh by comparison. It's longevity is not good, 2 hours as you said.....And yes it has the burnt rubber.....all these descriptions are very very accurate.

It even certainly shares elements of both the scents I was hoping it did:

--smokey/rubbery elements of Aventus base
    --the Windsor cedar

But it also lacks elements of Aventus/Windsor which would have been welcome in the move.....the sweet-tonka/soft-florals of the windsor base, which softened and "charmed up" the cedar, and it lacks the fresh musk and light sweetness of the aventus base, which complimented the dryness. With Spice and Wood, these elements are just too bare and dry for me....It's just smokey rubber, ground peppercorn, and pungent CEDAR, with TINY drops of tart rose, angelica root, green apple, and dry iris. It's lacking the balance I was expecting from apple and clove oil.

And one more thing you are corect about, is that much like Sublime Vanille focused entirely on Vanille, and did so in a light way, Spice and Wood caters to those seeking a discriminating-quality wood/spice scent, one which does it in a light way. Not in a heavy/cloying way like Tobacco Vanille.

So while we agree on nearly every stage of Spice and Wood, we couldn't feel more differently in regards to our like-dislike. I find it tremendously dissapointing, while you find it beautiful. I can even see what type would like it, and have listed many types of scents which share some similarity (minus a few things) in either scent type, or in scent character. No need to get mad, we just differ. Neither of us is more correct, we just have differing taste is all.

Default Creed Spice & Wood

After three or so wearings from my sample vial, I've decided that I do love the smell of Spice and Wood. Not capital letters LOVE, but it's love alright. I stand by most of what I said in my original review, even my comparison to L'Anarchiste (to my nose, the middle reminds me of a whispering L'Anarchiste. Perhaps I'd change my mind if I did a side-by-side.) I'm still on the fence about purchasing a full bottle. For that price tag, this would have to be more than love. The longevity is worse than any Creed I own (about 9 bottles). Quite a shame, really, as longevity issues don't normally bother me. It's the ratio to the price which makes it more of an issue for me. In terms of volume, I'm not looking for a 90's powerhouse, per se. (Perhaps a few sprays from a real atomizer and not a sample vial might help.) I agree with Creed when they say that 'royalty need not shout,' but at the very least it should be heard.

Thanks for the great reviews guys.

I'm looking forward to trying this and desperately hoping I like it. I love spicy woody fragrances, in fact many of my favourite drydowns encompass those qualities.

I'm hoping I like it more than Aventus, which I have tried many times to "get", but I just don't, you smell like a pineapple for a while and then the fragrance wanders around in a weak indistinctive haze and then disappears. It's not an effect I would pay £100 + a bottle for. The longevity of Aventus is shockingly poor - I've got colognes that last longer, so it concerns me when MikeNY indicates that the longevity of Spice & Wood is worse than any Creed he owns. As a guide I put Aventus on less than ten minutes ago and already I'm struggling to smell it.

I sometimes wonder if Creed are having an elaborate and costly joke at our expense. They have some of the best openings out there, but time after time I have been left disappointed, a bit like finding out the beautiful frontage of a house is only a facade and that behind it is just a tin shack with a dilapidated outhouse attached.

Update: It's maybe an hour or so since I applied Aventus and it has almost completely disappeared. With my nose two inches away from my skin I can barely smell it - and this after a fairly hefty application. I don't get the appeal, I really don't.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 19th October 2010 at 10:07 AM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

So while we agree on nearly every stage of Spice and Wood, we couldn't feel more differently in regards to our like-dislike. I find it tremendously dissapointing, while you find it beautiful. I can even see what type would like it, and have listed many types of scents which share some similarity (minus a few things) in either scent type, or in scent character. No need to get mad, we just differ. Neither of us is more correct, we just have differing taste is all.
    that's cool. i think the heart of our difference here is the unisex-nature of this fragrance. thats why you see it as "cold, aloof, etc". i can see your point, but that is a trait i love. i think it's an impressive feat to create something so mysteriously unisex. on the other hand, it's easy and cheap to create an uber-masculine, overly musky powerhouse.

its modernity might factor in too. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you are a fan of CREED's old-school scents, and see their modern-take with Aventus and Spice & Wood as a disturbing departure.

i see it as a very welcome addition.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Thanks for the great reviews guys.

I'm looking forward to trying this and desperately hoping I like it. I love spicy woody fragrances, in fact many of my favourite drydowns encompass those qualities.

I'm hoping I like it more than Aventus, which I have tried many times to "get", but I just don't, you smell like a pineapple for a while and then the fragrance wanders around in a weak indistinctive haze and then disappears. It's not an effect I would pay £100 + a bottle for. The longevity of Aventus is shockingly poor - I've got colognes that last longer, so it concerns me when MikeNY indicates that the longevity of Spice & Wood is worse than any Creed he owns. As a guide I put Aventus on less than ten minutes ago and already I'm struggling to smell it.

I sometimes wonder if Creed are having an elaborate and costly joke at our expense. They have some of the best openings out there, but time after time I have been left disappointed, a bit like finding out the beautiful frontage of a house is only a facade and that behind it is just a tin shack with a dilapidated outhouse attached.

Update: It's maybe an hour or so since I applied Aventus and it has almost completely disappeared. With my nose two inches away from my skin I can barely smell it - and this after a fairly hefty application. I don't get the appeal, I really don't.

Now Aventus, I often get 12+ hours! How strange this all is. Who knows, HDS1963, you might get monster longevity from Spice an Wood as there seem to be no rules! Who can really predict... I hope that's true. Lol
    Last edited by MikeNY; 19th October 2010 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post

I did the exact same thing THREE trips to Neiman's. I could barely smell it half an hour later. I don't know if my nose was playing tricks on me but on the fourth trip it lasted half the day. Then the FIFTH time I could smell it on the back of my hand well into the next day. Bought the flacon from Creedboutique and now when I wear it, I do get a good full day out of it. I'm REALLY hoping Spice and Wood is the same since it cost me nearly a couple hundred more than Aventus. I guess we'll find out in November ...

Well I finally got a chance to sample this Spice and Woods and let just say this takes "Royalty need not shout" to a WHOLE new level!

This is another Creed release that I must say I am very very disappointed in. What is going on here. Literally within one hour I cannot smell it anymore. It follows the exact same composition as Aventus with a fruit note (this time apple instead of Pineapple) than this leads into some very faint woods. I dont get SPICES, I get lower case spices.

I cant imagine why anyone would need an 8.4oz of this. There is no sillage, no longevity and frankly no originality at all. This is from a house that started me on this hobby of collecting scents. i must say I am very disappointed! Honestly, I was expecting something like Penhalligons Sartorial release which I feel is a great scent and the complete opposite of what Penhalligons usually does.

Very Very disappointing. I cant imagine how thin and unoriginal the next release will be named Eau de Cologne. Thank god for Windsor!

So....concensus is, if you like Aventus, you will like Spice and Wood? I'm loving Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Well I finally got a chance to sample this Spice and Woods and let just say this takes "Royalty need not shout" to a WHOLE new level!

This is another Creed release that I must say I am very very disappointed in. What is going on here. Literally within one hour I cannot smell it anymore. It follows the exact same composition as Aventus with a fruit note (this time apple instead of Pineapple) than this leads into some very faint woods. I dont get SPICES, I get lower case spices.

I cant imagine why anyone would need an 8.4oz of this. There is no sillage, no longevity and frankly no originality at all. This is from a house that started me on this hobby of collecting scents. i must say I am very disappointed! Honestly, I was expecting something like Penhalligons Sartorial release which I feel is a great scent and the complete opposite of what Penhalligons usually does.

Very Very disappointing. I cant imagine how thin and unoriginal the next release will be named Eau de Cologne. Thank god for Windsor!
    There does seem to be a distinctive style....I think they have a new perfumer working "with" Olivier. I could have a guess....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I really want to buy this BLIND so bad! The bottle looks so nice. Also, if i do buy..... mine will be Autographed by Erwin Creed

Quote Originally Posted by fugazi View Post
    that's cool. i think the heart of our difference here is the unisex-nature of this fragrance. thats why you see it as "cold, aloof, etc". i can see your point, but that is a trait i love. i think it's an impressive feat to create something so mysteriously unisex. on the other hand, it's easy and cheap to create an uber-masculine, overly musky powerhouse.

its modernity might factor in too. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you are a fan of CREED's old-school scents, and see their modern-take with Aventus and Spice & Wood as a disturbing departure.

i see it as a very welcome addition.
    Spice and Wood's claimed unisex status(i don't find it unisex at all), and it's modernity are not my issues with it. I frankly don't find it overly modern in any sense. I find it something like an incomplete niche woody scent, alot like the CDG wood scents or woody incense scents, or like something diptyque or Tauer would release, but unfinished and in lower concentration.

As for creed's modernity, I appreciate CREED's older scents, especially Royal Scottish Lavender (and I HATEHATEHATE Lavender), and the clean muskiness of Orange Spice's base (not the poo up top), as well as having an appreciation for the "old man" Creeds I would never wear, but recognize their supreme quality: Private Tabarome, BdP, BdG, and the "old woman" creeds i also wouldn't wear but recognize their incredible quality: Feuille Verte, Fleur De The Rose Bulgarie, Angelique Encens

If you care to gage my modernity, my personal favorite creeds are:

1. Windsor
    2. Selection Verte
    3. Green Irish Tweed
    4. Millesime Imperial (a very fruity modern scent)
    5. tie: Green Valley/Erolfa/Original Vetiver

So it's not modernity or unisexness I dislike of CREED's newest two, it's mainly the lack of opaqueness, and the lack of longevity by Aventus and Spice and Wood, as well as the rubbery quality of the floral notes used. They definitely both use a similar framework and share portions of each others' pallettes, but neither seems smooth or rich enough for my nose. Aventus came slightly closer to smooth with the clean musks/vanilla/ambergris/moss notes used in the base, but the concentration of the fresher/smoother notes in the heart and base should be increased imo. And Spice and wood would have certainly benefitted from a large dose of those notes as well, in addition to other spices more prominent than pepper. It's just too dry, simple, and weak to warrant such a crazy price.

What is going on here. Literally within one hour I cannot smell it anymore. It follows the exact same composition as Aventus with a fruit note (this time apple instead of Pineapple) than this leads into some very faint woods. I dont get SPICES, I get lower case spices. There is no sillage, no longevity and frankly no originality at all. Very Very disappointing. I cant imagine how thin and unoriginal the next release will be named Eau de Cologne.
    First, yup, this is exactly what I thaught of it.

And as for the bolded "Original Cologne" prediction, This possibility has me praying it's not a royal exclusive (both duds imo), and that my prediction of it being a 3rd gradient bottle millesime, based around a long-lasting synthetic heart accord, just like the other two "Original Vetiver" and "Original Santal".

They better get their ship in order quick with several great releases, as i was expecting Spice and Wood to make stronger and better use of the winning elelemnts in Aventus, but it instead removed them, kept the rubbery/smokey notes, and added cedar and black pepper....there is much potential in the Aventus base, but they better richen/thicken/freshen it up and not get obsessed with rubber and smoke. I'm worried for their future.

First, yup, this is exactly what I thaught of it.

And as for the bolded "Original Cologne" prediction, This possibility has me praying it's not a royal exclusive (both duds imo), and that my prediction of it being a 3rd gradient bottle millesime, based around a long-lasting synthetic heart accord, just like the other two "Original Vetiver" and "Original Santal".

They better get their ship in order quick with several great releases, as i was expecting Spice and Wood to make stronger and better use of the winning elelemnts in Aventus, but it instead removed them, kept the rubbery/smokey notes, and added cedar and black pepper....there is much potential in the Aventus base, but they better richen/thicken/freshen it up and not get obsessed with rubber and smoke. I'm worried for their future.
    Original vetiver to me is not synthetic, santal is definitely too synthetic to me I do not like it. The original cologne will be a royal exclusive.

[QUOTEThe original cologne will be a royal exclusive.[/QUOTE]

Correct. The next two Royal Exclusives will be Original Cologne and White Flowers from what I have been told

Very interesting and informitive reviews. Am a big fan of Aventus and Windsor so I will be trying this one also. Kind of hope I dont care for it so I can save myself some money.

I'm worried for their future.
    hahaha... i was waiting for it!

somehow i think Creed will be just fine. In contrast, I think they are in the midst of a remarkable streak of creativity and artistic inspiration, after a good decade of wallowing. I discovered Creed in 1997, and from about 1999 through last year, I kind of drifted from them after the rather pedestrian efforts of Tabarome Millesime, OV, OS, and Himalaya.

However, Sublime Vanille, Windsor, Aventus, and Spice & Wood have me EXTREMELY excited about the future of this house. As you stated before, Spice and Wood is not a poorly made fragrance. It just highlights notes that you don't particularly like. But you can't deny extraordinary quality, delicacy, and balance of all four fragrances I just mentioned.

for instance - I was never a huge fan of vanilla. But I got Sublime Vanille, and it is such a quality fragrance, it has MADE me a fan of vanilla! I am struck at the quality of that scent every single time I put it on, much like Windsor, maybe moreso.

So hang in there, maybe they'll hit a note you like soon. But it's rather self-centric to predict the demise of a house because they have made a few that you aren't personally a fan of. I would "be worried" if their quality of ingredients and craftsmanship declined, which it clearly has not. It has gone up significantly.

BTW - what do you mean by "opaque" in terms of fragrance? i know what it means in reality, but can't figure how you are applying a visual term to the smell-realm. Do you think something like TF's Tuscan Leather is "opaque"? Is that what you prefer?

[QUOTEThe original cologne will be a royal exclusive.
    Correct. The next two Royal Exclusives will be Original Cologne and White Flowers from what I have been told[/QUOTE]

and jardin d'amalfi

Ok, I finally get the clove after dumping 3/4 of the sample on fabric, it's just a hint of Eugenol, drowned out by pepper and a dryish cardamom/bitter spice. Still, lowercase spice, as Cairomerta says. Opus 1870 kills this as a pepper scent.

I'm also getting more of the apple on fabric, still not much, and yes there is a stage after it dries down some where this smells like Burberry London, but more like the aftershave. I just don't understand where they see this being worth $550. The name, the bottle, the note list, all so very intriguing, the scent....not so much.

There is one thing that is intruiging me, it's the evergreen-type note in here. I can't place if it's cedar needles or what. It's almost like a cross of Cypress essential oil with the fresher green wet scent of freshly torn pine needles. A very nice subtle touch, but then again, "subtle" is the adjective that plagues this fragrance imo.

And I'm still left with the impression of a CDG woody, or like if amouage made an aftershave for something like Epic. It has that "snobby niche woody" steez all over it, but it's just so weak in concentration. Perhaps putting this in 8.4oz sprays is necessary.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 28th October 2010 at 07:19 PM.

Ok, I finally get the clove after dumping 3/4 of the sample on fabric, it's just a hint of Iso-Eugenol, drowned out by pepper and a dryish cardamom/bitter spice. Still, lowercase spice, as Cairomerta says. Opus 1870 kills this as a pepper scent.

I'm also getting more of the apple on fabric, still not much, and yes there is a stage after it dries down some where this smells like Burberry London...
    Am I still the only one who perceives a similarity with L'Anarchiste?

Am I still the only one who perceives a similarity with L'Anarchiste?
    I find the apple in Spice and Wood to be quiet, and more of a appleskin note, not so much appleflesh. Also, the clove (also quiet) note used in Spice and Wood is almost entirely the "aged/fine/stale" clove. Now, I feel dry clove is great, in fresh/wet scents needing spiciness, as it adds dryness/class, but in an already bone dry scent like Spice and Wood, it offers little contrast/exitement.

That is why I find L'Anarchiste's Apple/Spices so drastically different. L'Anarchiste's Apple note is powerful and diffusive, very texturally wet, smelling almost entirely of Appleflesh (mashed into pulp/applesauce), no peel in site. Also, the clove note in L'Anarchiste, is definitely heavy on the typical fresh-ground clove smell we all associate. It's just a much more lively Apple/Spice than Spice and Wood's, which If I were to compare it to another apple-spice combo, I'd say after the pepper note burns off, it reminds of Burberry London, just much more subtle.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 28th October 2010 at 07:21 PM.

picked this up last week after visiting the boutique here in nyc a few weeks ago. couldn't get it out of my head. absolutely gorgeous fragrance. just smells of elegance and refinement. wished is had a bit more silage, but overall i'm thrilled with this scent. right up there with GIT in terms of timelessness.

Did this get reformulated after its initial release? I remember really liking it the first time I tried it. The last time I tried it (from the big new bottles) I enjoyed it for about 30 minutes and then the whole thing turned all birch tar on me. Everyone else I asked all said it was strong and not pleasant. Skin chemistry I'm sure is what most people would chalk it up to, but it's definitely not my favorite at this point, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Did this get reformulated after its initial release? I remember really liking it the first time I tried it. The last time I tried it (from the big new bottles) I enjoyed it for about 30 minutes and then the whole thing turned all birch tar on me. Everyone else I asked all said it was strong and not pleasant. Skin chemistry I'm sure is what most people would chalk it up to, but it's definitely not my favorite at this point, that's for sure.
    there's something very dry and harsh in Spice and Wood that one either really loves or really hates, it seems.

I adore Spice and Wood. it is so well structured. the apple sits on top of a plank of dry wood, with spices weaving in and out.

but if you look at the note pyramid, it contains so many dry and austere components:

- angelic root
    - lemon
    - cedar
    - pepper
    - white birch
    - iris
    - oakmoss

when I wear this, my wife is often overwhelmed and does not like it. Royal Oud takes a similar idea but adds such a wonderful sweet heart to it, that it's definitely more wearable and likeable than S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by Minaj View Post
    there's something very dry and harsh in Spice and Wood that one either really loves or really hates, it seems.
    Birch tar is quite obvious and distinct in the middle and dry down, which is fine as a note, but on me it becomes a birch tar soliflore. It's not for me.

Although pricey, I am glad I have bought this. It's a very nice scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Minaj View Post

I adore Spice and Wood. it is so well structured. the apple sits on top of a plank of dry wood, with spices weaving in and out.

but if you look at the note pyramid, it contains so many dry and austere components:

- angelic root
    - lemon
    - cedar
    - pepper
    - white birch
    - iris
    - oakmoss

when I wear this, my wife is often overwhelmed and does not like it. Royal Oud takes a similar idea but adds such a wonderful sweet heart to it, that it's definitely more wearable and likeable than S&W.
    Good analysis...but I like Spice and Wood and am happy to have it. It is actually quite versatile--I can hardly think of a situation where it would not be okay, including at the office. I might prefer it to Royal Oud for that reason.

Martin

I just received a sample of this in a trade, my first impressions were that it was nice, but not $550 dollars nice. The issue though? My impossibly difficult to impress girlfriend went gaga for it. Even going as far as to say "that's the best one yet", "that just works with your skin chemistry". Any cheaper/better alternatives?

my wife says "smells like tree-sap, but I like it."

I think it's pretty nice stuff myself.

I thought it was okay, just not amazing, nor worth worth the high price tag. Opening was great, but dry down was mediocre and a bit synthetic.

The reviews on this thread are great, it has me wanting to try it. The notes are appealing except for the iris but i hear it's not too prominent. I want to hear marc's take on it in his niche haul video, there's really mixed opinions on this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    I want to hear marc's take on it in his niche haul video, there's really mixed opinions on this guy.
    Marc is an interesting fellow. I enjoy watching his niche fragrance videos. I think he has like $60,000+ worth of fragrances. Insane. I wonder what he does for a living.

He hasn't been posting much videos this year, at least not as much as he used to. He posts videos, then leaves for 2-3 months, then comes back and posts again, so it's kind of hard to stay hooked. I think I heard him say he's going to be leaving again in June.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Marc is an interesting fellow. I enjoy watching his niche fragrance videos. I think he has like $60,000+ worth of fragrances. Insane. I wonder what he does for a living.

He hasn't been posting much videos this year, at least not as much as he used to. He posts videos, then leaves for 2-3 months, then comes back and posts again, so it's kind of hard to stay hooked. I think I heard him say he's going to be leaving again in June.
    he probably gets the fragrances for free for reviewing them!

Quote Originally Posted by rollzst View Post
    he probably gets the fragrances for free for reviewing them!
    Good point, I never thought of that. My wife thinks he probably runs a fragrance shop and just takes the frags from his inventory to review.

It's just amazing how many frags this guy has. Like even if money was no object for me, I doubt I'd have as much frags as he does. I would only buy bottles of frags that I enjoy, not any frag that I set my eyes on. In fact, the more frags that I buy, the pickier I get.