Code of Conduct

Default FINALLY tried La Nuit De L'Homme!

Bleh.

Okay, don't get me wrong, it's nice. But, with all the hype it gets, I was expecting much more, even something unorthodox. I don't see this one "dropping panties" in my world. The opening has huge projection, but short lived.. this only lasts a few moments before it calms down (though still projects considerably well) The opening also smells very feminine to my nose, and reminds me of a less spicy version of Magnetism. As La Nuit De L'Homme dries, it becomes more vanilla. I get a lot of raspberry as well, but I also get this funky accord that kind of smells like ginger mixed with some kind of flower, and set on fire, if that makes any sense.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions too soon though, but La Nuit De L'Homme is just another average fragrance, sort of a disappointment really from a house like YSL.

I already used up my sample, which was enough for just one wearing. Unfortunately the Sephora out here isn't very gracious with their samples. But it's better than having to smell it on paper at Macy's or not getting my nose over it at all. Maybe I'll pick up another sample somewhere else, some other time, but as for now.. this is my first impression of La Nuit De L'Homme.

Also wondering if anyone else finds the opening to me feminine?

Default Re: FINALLY tried La Nuit De L'Homme!

There is a difference between smelling nice for your self and smelling nice for girls to get "panty dropper". Sometimes scents that you don't find appealing, girls go crazy for. Try to get another sample or just spray yourself with it in store and then test it out. The reason i enjoy this one is because of its longevity and the vanilla vibe you described.

I find the whole experience of La Nuit de L'homme to be VERY masculine. Mainstream, but masculine. I've gotten nothing but positive feedback from ladies when wearing this stuff. I do not believe this has anything in common with Magnetism except a heavy, dark opening. This one has gotten better with repeated wearings just like its older brother, L'homme.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

I keep trying to like it. So far, it's OK, and I wouldn't mind it if someone gave me a bottle. But it's still a little short of bottle-worthy, IMO.

I am interested in the EdP thread I keep seeing. A little beefing up here and there might fix it substantially. Is the EdP out yet?

This is a rather pathetic tonka-bomb in my opinion. The tonka sweetness mutes and drowns out any interest the spices could have provided. It's far inferior to the original. I'd recommend to someone interested in La Nuit to save some money and get something like Banderas' The Secret instead - another overly sweet tonka-heavy concoction.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution

This was one I immediately did not like when I first smelled it.

Yes! that's what I'm getting heaps of. It's the tonka bean. Wayyyy overdone here.

I don't dislike it all that much but I don't like it all that much either. Whenever I'm in the mood for that type frag I have a few others I prefer to reach for and do time after time.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I agree with you...it's nice enough, but overrated on here to me. Plus, I think it could have that "mainstream" problem where like 3 other guys are wearing it when you go out. Novelty and distinctiveness is important to me

Yeah, it's really sweet. But at least the cardamom keeps it from being a waste like so many other super sweet frags like Pi and Blue Sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    I find the whole experience of La Nuit de L'homme to be VERY masculine.
    Me too.

It smells like hairspray on me, i do not get the hype but i know people who love it so i guess it works for them.

Very similar to Armani Code IMO. Can't blame YSL for wanting a light, easy to wear gourmand though, can you?
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Thumbs up Re: FINALLY tried La Nuit De L'Homme!

I do not think it is feminine at all. The new version LE PARFUM is better IMHO. Give it try...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I agree with The_Cologneist that La Nuit is nothing groundbreaking. I tried it just once and also tried BB London that day and while La Nuit became just feminine baby powder in few hours, London was way more sophisticated, masculine and better fragrance overall.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I love this when I go out, lots of compliments and easy to wear.

For some reason the Cardamon dominates the senses on my skin, not the tonka. I like this one and ended up buying after sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Very similar to Armani Code IMO. Can't blame YSL for wanting a light, easy to wear gourmand though, can you?
    I get the Armani Code out of it as well. More so in its final dry down than anything. I think a better version of both this and Code is Banderas Seduction in Black. They all have a similar vanilla thing going on, but Seduction in Black takes the cake if you ask me. This gets no love because of its house, but it's really a masterpiece.

I don't like it either, Cologneist, for all the reasons you and SOS mention. The original is far, far superior.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I think la nuit does exactly what it's meant to do in it's class. That is smell very good to most people and specifically women. Something that can be used year around for going out/ night time/ dates. Correct me if i'm wrong and if there is anything better in it's class.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Bleh.
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

All the negative remarks are very interesting!!! This fragrance is doing well.....There are very many customers who would tell You that your wrong.....Young, older, middle aged peole who love this fragrance.....This is one thing that has confused me over the years that I've been at Basenotes.....If the general public seems to like a certain scent.....it's almost a sure thing that it will be hated here!!! I do find this interesting!!! The thing that really confuses me is our desire for compliments.....Yet we spend big bucks on things that never bring compliments and call them a masterpiece.....And yet we will not like a common fragrance that so many Love!!! This is very strange indded!!!
    Gary

Blog Entries

I sampled it several times, and loved it every time. When I finally gave it a full wearing though, I picked out more facets of it that totally turned me off to it. It was the strangest thing.

Though the original is pretty ordinary, and even I get bored with it at times, I still like the way it smells. It will stay in my wardrobe as an occasional wear. La Nuit, though, not likely. When I want something with this kind of vibe, I'll more likely reach for L'Instant or Bvlgari Black.

I find it a bit too vanilla heavy for me.
    Looking to purchase - Aventus any size or participate in a split

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    I sampled it several times, and loved it every time. When I finally gave it a full wearing though, I picked out more facets of it that totally turned me off to it. It was the strangest thing.

Though the original is pretty ordinary, and even I get bored with it at times, I still like the way it smells. It will stay in my wardrobe as an occasional wear. La Nuit, though, not likely. When I want something with this kind of vibe, I'll more likely reach for L'Instant or Bvlgari Black.
    Bvlgari Black and L'Instant are Great fragrances.....Between the 2 I like L'Instant the best.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    All the negative remarks are very interesting!!! This fragrance is doing well.....There are very many customers who would tell You that your wrong.....Young, older, middle aged peole who love this fragrance.....This is one thing that has confused me over the years that I've been at Basenotes.....If the general public seems to like a certain scent.....it's almost a sure thing that it will be hated here!!! I do find this interesting!!! The thing that really confuses me is our desire for compliments.....Yet we spend big bucks on things that never bring compliments and call them a masterpiece.....And yet we will not like a common fragrance that so many Love!!! This is very strange indded!!!.
    Gary
    Totally agree with you Gary. Its like the kiss of death for a fragrance to be popular on a best seller list to many on these forums. Considering that about half of men don't even wear fragrances, popular is a relative term. Its easy to become basenote centric in our world view in pursuit of this hobby I am a fan of La Nuit De L'Homme and have yet to smell it on anyone else despite it being readily available. If I did, it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me anyway. Its really nice to be complimented on my choices of scent but there is enough to go around, especially when I dig the scent myself.
    Last edited by Fletch31; 25th November 2010 at 06:28 PM.

Any recommendations on other fragrances that smell like La Nuit's top notes most of the way through?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I strongly disagree with this. Have both of them and don't have anything in common. La Nuit being much much better than Code

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    All the negative remarks are very interesting!!! This fragrance is doing well.....There are very many customers who would tell You that your wrong.....Young, older, middle aged peole who love this fragrance.....This is one thing that has confused me over the years that I've been at Basenotes.....If the general public seems to like a certain scent.....it's almost a sure thing that it will be hated here!!! I do find this interesting!!! The thing that really confuses me is our desire for compliments.....Yet we spend big bucks on things that never bring compliments and call them a masterpiece.....And yet we will not like a common fragrance that so many Love!!! This is very strange indded!!!
    Gary

You nailed it...
    These forums may give us a strange idea of reality. I'm not saying that we should stick to AdG or Le Male based on compliments (many young girls compliments almost any frag) but many times we (myself included) show no respect for some frags just because they're popular and best-sellers as we defend frags that we can barely use and have smells that average people just don't like because of their artistic complexity.
    There are popular designer fragances that work well and have quality, being la nuit one of them. I've tested some "niche" fragances praised here on basenotes that people around me don't get or don't like. If i wore Filles en Aiguilles many people around me probably told me that "you smell like incense sticks, why pay for that" while at basenotes we say FeA is a nice quality frag, worth 120$
    I've tested expensive Creeds that most people around me won't notice the differences with their designer equivalents (Himalaya -Paco XS, Cool water-GIT). WE know that Creed is better, people we know may not notice...
    We should not be that demanding with some frags, and we should not dislike something just because it's popular. I visit an spanish forum where, par example, m7 is so popular that makes you desire you've never bought it...but i haven't ever smelt m7 anywhere. Nor even 1 million, even if it's the most sold frag nowadays.
    La Nuit??? never smelt it on anyone. Not so popular then. Many people just don't use frags, or use so few sprays that you can't smell it.

I tried La Nuit. Seemed to be way too similar to L'Homme which I already have. Skip for me. Nothing really special imo.