Code of Conduct

Default Lagerfeld Classic: What base note(s) smell wooden, dark, and tobacco like?

I have been wearing Lagerfeld Classic for a few days and am unable to pinpoint the exact basenote or basenotes that provide this rich, comforting tobacco like smell that lasts for hours. Do any of you know what note or notes comprise this smell in Lagerfeld Classic? I would like to isolate this note by itself and find a cologne that focuses exclusively on it. My guess is its tobacco in the base, but I'm not sure and would like to know definitively. Also, do you know of any colognes that smell similar to this rich, woody, tobacco smell? I don't want colognes similar to Lagerfeld Classic. I am trying to find colognes that focus strictly on that mysterious, rich, dark smell minus the powderiness. My new and untrained nose is still learning. Thanks for your help.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Lagerfeld Classic: What base note(s) smell wooden, dark, and tobacco like?

Probably the mixture of amber, patchouli and/or opopanax.

Hillaire

Default Re: Lagerfeld Classic: What base note(s) smell wooden, dark, and tobacco like?

It's probably tobacco. And the tonka and vanilla.

It's the opoponax combined with the other notes, and since opoponax in such a large dose as it is in this one (I'm talking about vintage, not the reformulation) is uncommon you should just try to find a bottle of it on ebay rather than looking for something similar, but you may want to get some opoponax itself.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 21st October 2012 at 02:18 AM.

There is plenty of rose, and of rosewood; and the top is livened with a tiny hint of black pepper.

My guess would be tobacco also.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My guess would be tobacco also.

Mark, I'm getting in LAGERFELD CLASSIC:

bergamot, grapefruit, mandarin, thyme, rose, orris, tobacco, patchouly, cedar, santal, black pepper, costus, opoponax, myrrh, tonka bean, vanilla, castoreum, civet, rosewood, a subtle vanillic/sucrée "cotton candy" note, birchtar, vetiver.

There may be, along with the mandarin, another sweet "round" fruit note in the Head which I can't identify, but which adds a juicy sweetness at the beginning.

There is nothing that I know of like LAGERFELD CLASSIC. It sells for cheap in WALGREEN'S, yet it is one of the most special and carefully prepared men's fragrances ever made. (I'm amazed that modern amateur noses put down fragrances like LAGERFELD and GREY FLANNEL and KOUROS... they are masterpieces, and when they go, all we'll have at that pricepoint is celebuscent crap.)

Do try Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's LE SMOKING, a superb recreation of YSL's 1971 tobacco number. Also, to my nose, the spiritual "grandson" of LAGERFELD might be LUCTOR ET EMERGO by People Of The Labyrinth.

BTW: "wooden, dark, tobacco-like" is a perfect description for authentic tonka bean. Many pipe tobaccos, and Mexican vanillas, have been scented with tonka .

Best, Dave