Code of Conduct

Default The House of L'Artisan....Hated it, until...

I sampled Premier Figuier. I love it!!! Anyone else like this unique fragrance?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: The House of L'Artisan....Hated it, until...

I do! Green and leafy and not at all what I was expecting from a fig fragrance.

Which reminds me, I really have to try this again sometime. So many great frags; so little time...

No...but I had a similar experience with them substituting "disliked" for hated and "Fou d'Absinthe" for the Priemier Figeur.
    I will have to try that one out!

I also like Dzongkha. Just remembered.
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

What i hate about l'artisan is the fact that you almost have to bath yourself in their fragrances to have moderate sillage and longevity. I enjoy premier figuer, mure et musk, ambre extreme,safran troublant, dzonghka, dzing, mechant loup. And lately I'm in love with their L'Eau de Jatamansi. It has a kind of fresh tea aura of a tea made with flowers and citrus fruits. It seems perfect for lazy days when you want something that gives you a refreshing aura.

I was very disappointed with this house. I heard great things about Dzing!, Dzongkha and Timbuktu and having sampled them I can only describe them as octogenarian spinster juice. And Tea for Two I found very harsh.

Oh well, it'd be a strange world if we all liked the same things.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    No...but I had a similar experience with them substituting "disliked" for hated and "Fou d'Absinthe" for the Priemier Figeur.
    I will have to try that one out!
    Hated it!

Blog Entries

I love Premer Figuier; it's my favorite fig.

So far, I've only tried Fou d'Absinthe and Timbuktu. I like FdA, but not Timbuktu. Their fragrances seem well constructed with decent lasting power.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Basenotes Plus

I've not really found one that I like, that said I did quite like Nuit de Tubereuse & Al Oudh when I tried them in Paris earlier this year.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I have 41 of their fragrances but Premier Figuer is right among the top.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have 41 of their fragrances but Premier Figuer is right among the top.
    Do you spray alot of the fragrance, bc it seems like several are very subtle.

Do try to sample their new Coeur de Vetiver Sacre. It's a very nice tea/floral/spice/vetiver composition.

The other scents I love from this line are the sublime Navegar - which is a great, salty lime and pepper over cedar summer fragrance (it recently ousted Erolfa from the "favorite marine/aquatic" spot in my drobe), and also Al Oudh - an ultra-smooth velvety black rose with spice and oud smoke.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Do you spray alot of the fragrance, bc it seems like several are very subtle.
    When I choose to wear any one of them, it's normally three sprays like everything else I own.

Is there much difference between Premier Figuier and Premier Figuier Extreme? Which do you prefer?

I have to agree with our friend from Brazil. Like Creed, most of the L'Artisan frags are far to weak for the price. But many of them both sure are pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    What i hate about l'artisan is the fact that you almost have to bath yourself in their fragrances to have moderate sillage and longevity.
    This is what kills my interest in the line, especially at the full retail price.

I'm a big fan of the L'Artisan range. Havana Vanille is one of my favorites recent releases. I'm eager to re-try PF now, thanks for the nudge Rosehavn.

I have an almost universal love for the smell of L'Artisan fragrances, but like some others here I sometimes have a problem with their relative lightness and short lifespan. This must be a deliberately applied house characteristic because it appears throughout the line and no matter which perfumer was used.

Having said that, I now have to say that this lightness, which is not necessarily a translucency but a lack of heaviness, is an essential element of their fragrances. As much as I sometimes wish the fragrances were stonger and more dense, this would destroy their innate quality. In L'Artisan fragrances the lightness is perfectly married to the scent. I find most of their fragrances to be not only light, but subtle, tasteful, elegant, easy wearing, very modern, and non-challenging, even given some of the rather unusual accords they come up with. The word classy also comes to mind. To make the fragrances stronger would destroy the delicate balance of scent and texture.

And this probably ties in with the longevity factor. To use different or more base notes in order to make the fragrances last longer might very well disrupt this balance and skew the fragrances away from their attractive lightness, elegance and subtlety.

I really love L'Artisan, actually. I agree with what noggs says in the previous post. That said, I do not see any difference from most of the line in longevity compared with most other fragrances from other lines. For example, L'Eau de Jatamansi, which is VERY light, lasts a good 12 hours on me, although it is light throughout.

The only ones that do not last on me are Ananas Fizz and Timbuktu.

I have been dithering about getting Premier Figuier lately, btw.... I will probably get it one of these days. I do like it, and more so than the extreme version, although I don't have much experience with the latter.
    Last edited by Furriner; 13th October 2010 at 03:28 PM.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Is there much difference between Premier Figuier and Premier Figuier Extreme? Which do you prefer?
    The balance is somewhat off in the extreme version - it feels milkier. I much prefer the greener original.