Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Worst bottle flaws?

What are some of the worst bottle flaws in the industry?

Arpege pour Homme - Cap doesn't fit securly.
    Thierry Mugler - On the rubber flask bottles, they tend to be oozy.
    John Varvatos - On the original (though not all of them but a good amount) the sprayer oozes.
    IZOD - Sprayer comes off with the bottle almost every time.
    Escada - Though not on all but on the ones with the cheap caps with the gem look on top, i.e. Sunset Heat, Escada Homme; the cap spins, and fits loose.

Add yours..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Worst bottle flaws?

I agree with Arpege's cap issue and the Varvatos 'oozing' issue.

Although my original Varvatos is fine, Artisan oozes very badly. Same basic bottle/spray mechanism I'd say.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Bulgari Black is pretty infamous for it's horrible design flaw in the atomizer.

Creed atomizers always leak - pisses me off...for the prices they charge, they should really fix this instead of now selling everything in flacons and charging you $150+ for 'Creed' atomizers...ok end of rant.

Post Thanks / Like

Escada Magnetism. The metal "shoulders" fall off making it impossible to put the cap back on or take it off properly.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    Escada Magnetism. The metal "shoulders" fall off making it impossible to put the cap back on or take it off properly.
    Oh ya, forgot about this one, they are risen up a little and not secure. Annoying!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like small base of YSL Body Kouros, and my Chanel caps tend to seem looser than others (maybe from more use?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The magnets in my Chanel bottlecap that are supposed to make it always land right-side-up are off by a little, so it always looks crooked.

Also, those terribly cheap plastic MPG caps always seem to be cracked and broken whenever I see them in stores.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I can attest to the bulgari black and the crappy atomizer. My juice is stuck inside.

Post Thanks / Like

My Bulgari Black atomizer broke today! I guess I will have to use the pliers to open the top. The bottle is almost full!

My Burberry London sprayer was also defective.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    The magnets in my Chanel bottlecap that are supposed to make it always land right-side-up are off by a little, so it always looks crooked.
    I have actually never come across a Chanel bottle (yet...) with a cap that seems perfectly aligned.

Post Thanks / Like

When I open my bottle of La Nuit de L'homme, the atomizer top comes off about half the time.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Post Thanks / Like

Czech and Speake's spray action. Just awful, in my experience. One could sneeze more copiously!
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Post Thanks / Like

definitely the rubber flasks. worst thing is they're not even defective, just made that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    My Bulgari Black atomizer broke today! I guess I will have to use the pliers to open the top. The bottle is almost full!

My Burberry London sprayer was also defective.
    Hope I didn't jinx you

The spray atomiser on Geir - always got stuck, after the odd spritz.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the Creed bottle sprays, lots of them end up leaking. And that bulb atomizer that they give you with the royal collection flacons just suck and let the juice evaporate. Mugler rubber bottle covers tend to interfere with the spray and hence drip.

I'll also add Nasomato bottles. They are just not sealed well. I've given up buying them cause every single one has leaked in transit.

The bulb atomisers in general.

The printed logo on the new Amouage bottles. Looking at the testers, they fade pretty fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry Mugler Rubber Flasks...the sprayer is horrible. I can never get a good consistent spray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I forgot about Izod. I haven't worn it in a long time, but you're right. My atomizer comes off with the cap too. Awful design, though it does have a good look.

Other than that, my Gendarme sprayer gets stuck.

And I haven't gotten this bottle yet, but I've been seeing reports of the Bvlgari Man sprayers dispensing a stream instead of a spray. The tester I tried did just that. Sounds like a design flaw to me. I hope they get it fixed, because I want this juice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Id like to add Courdory by Zihr, the bottle is difficult to handle, the top keeps falling off. All around a bad design, so-so frag.
    Last edited by trex57; 12th October 2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: bad speller

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had to think about it and then went to my collection, first off I hate the really small minis where you forget if you have to screw/unscrew the cap or just pull/push it.

And if you have a splash bottle that you really gotta yank on and when you finally do, the inertial force splashes some out!

But my award to the biggest bottle flaw goes to Fred Hayman's Hollywood. It's really a low-end clunker of a scent but the mini I have, as I would suppose the bigger bottles would also have is the "spikey" cap on the pyramid-like bottle.

The mini's cap is hard to pull off and the points on the cap don't allow you to get a good hold of it to pull it off......and to a lesser degree of annoyance, the bottle has to be pulled out and put back in through the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Bvlgari Black reformulated when they changed the atomizer, or is it still the same juice?

Post Thanks / Like

Also forgot about Diesel Green Masculine. The bottle design is neat, but the quality is just horrible, the atomizer falls apart all the time.

And another. Although most people haven't witnessed this probably. Akon's Konvict fragrance. (12.99 at Ross -- couldn't resist) The set of bottles have a very cheap housing, and can even slide around in the housing, which are handcuffs made out of very cheap plastic.

Those caps of the old Guerlian bottles. They did not fit with a snap or click.

Other than that, I dislike bulb atomisers except for displaying with an empty bottle.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I had to take back two bottles of V & R Antidote because the whole top of the spray mechanism fell off one after the first spray and the other one leaked like crazy - especially if the bottle was tipped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I have actually never come across a Chanel bottle (yet...) with a cap that seems perfectly aligned.
    [

I can convince myself that this cap is pretty well aligned with the bottle. But then again...

The Francis Kurkdjian line . Beautiful fragrances , beautiful bottles , beautiful crafted metal caps . But the worst atomisers ever , not so much a spray but more of a phzzzzzzzzzzzzz splutter fine mist fart sound whimper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post

I can convince myself that this cap is pretty well aligned with the bottle. But then again...
    Seems like you're one of the lucky ones...

I was making a decant from CSP Bois de Filao, but the spray couldn't handle fast repeated spritzes. Now 50% of the time the spray doesn't work.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another: Though a very uncommon fragrance here on BN, Bod Man's Body Heat Sexy X2, in the pineapple/grenade bottle. The actual architecture of the bottle is a neat idea, but the quality is horrible, similar to the idea behind Diesel Green Masculine, and Konvict. Very poorly construct for Bod Man, with a hideous cap. Most of the time, when taking off the cap, it loosens the top housing/shoulders and neck of the bottle.

Some of the Samba fragrances have caps that weren't molded properly, with extra layers of plastic inside of the cap, that make it difficult to snap the cap on.

Maybe it's just me on these two, but on my Realities 1.7 oz, the sprayer is a bit stiff. This wasn't the case on the 2 3.4 oz bottles I went through prior, just the 1.7 I own now, I could just be unlucky, or it could be a flaw on just the 1.7's. Same goes for my 3.4 oz Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Seas.. with its stiff sprayer that makes the awkward sound that somebody in an above post was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    [

According to my eyes, I can see at least a 5% deviation from alignment perfection. For starters, the bottle isn't perfectly aligned itself...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    According to my eyes, I can see at least a 5% deviation from alignment perfection. For starters, the bottle isn't perfectly aligned itself...
    You are a picky lot aren't you! ha ha ha.
    5 % deviation? That's just an optical illusion caused by the earth's axial precession. It is, in fact, perfectly aligned in absolute terms. It just appears slightly wonky because we're all standing at a slight tilt
    I'm off to measure my other bottle of Sycomore now...