Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default Balmain Carbone? Any thoughts???

Already available at Selfridges in the U.K.

Have any English basenoters smelled it?
    What are your thoughts?

I am eager to try this one, a longtime Balmain fan... the notes are very similar to Balmain de Balmain. In my imagination, it is quite peppery, and it smells like Sander for Men .

Notes: black fig, bourbon pepper, elemi resins, ivy, violet leaf, incense, benzoin, vetiver and musk.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 7th November 2010 at 02:59 AM.

Default Re: Balmain Carbone? Any thoughts???

My only thought is that i liked the bottle and i do want to try it...

Its about time for another release from this house. I look forward to testing it, despite my poor luck with Balmain fragrances. This one seems interesting, as Sander for Man is a scent I like. Mmmm....pepper.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Will purchase this as soon it becomes available in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    My only thought is that i liked the bottle and i do want to try it...
    The bottle design is gorgeous, thanks for sharing the tip with us Hillaire. I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the name Carbone, sounds a bit crude, no?. They should have left off the 'e' at the end, Carbon sounds better to me. I am interested, the house of Balmain has certainly done some interesting things over the years.

Hillaire

I agree about the name; to me it sounds like an fictional NY mob boss from the 30's, a movie version of Capone, or something .

Refreshing this thread, in case anyone has tried this by now. I want to buy it for my SO as a gift, and I'd love to read some reactions before I commit, you know in case it's bad .

Blog Entries

Balmain Carbone looks, and the notes sound, very interesting. This new one might be added to my other two Balmain favorites, Ambre Gris and Vent Vert.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.......
    I tried this today and was very disappointed. The name sounded interesting and the flacon looked great. I am a great fan of most Balmains perfumes, especially the vintage formulas. Balmain made a big mistake with Balman and now they have made another with Carbone. I got the pepper and elemi notes although somehow weak. Within a couple of minutes it turned into a vanilla and white musk "mash". It really reminded me of the awful cheap drugstore fragrance Vanilla Fields from Coty - tacky teeny girly and watered down fragrance. I wish I could say better things about this, but I can´t. It´s a vanilla and musk mess.
    Get your act together Balmain !!!

Thank you for the alert David ! Although your bad review made me more curious to try it, but with more caution to not buy a full bottle without getting a sample first.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news.......
    I tried this today and was very disappointed. The name sounded interesting and the flacon looked great. I am a great fan of most Balmains perfumes, especially the vintage formulas. Balmain made a big mistake with Balman and now they have made another with Carbone. I got the pepper and elemi notes although somehow weak. Within a couple of minutes it turned into a vanilla and white musk "mash". It really reminded me of the awful cheap drugstore fragrance Vanilla Fields from Coty - tacky teeny girly and watered down fragrance. I wish I could say better things about this, but I can´t. It´s a vanilla and musk mess.
    Get your act together Balmain !!!

Oh, no!!! How depressing! Well, I guess I am glad I did not buy it for my BF for X-mas blind, which is what I almost did!

I tried it and liked it very much..a mix of Incense and pepper ..with smoky notes ..unusual ..orignal and very masculine
    For me , i d'ont know why, it's like it would be a "Vol de Nuit" made for men, more peppery ...nice

Quote Originally Posted by Makassar View Post
    I tried it and liked it very much..a mix of Incense and pepper ..with smoky notes ..unusual ..orignal and very masculine
    For me , i d'ont know why, it's like it would be a "Vol de Nuit" made for men, more peppery ...nice
    Completely agree - surprising, original and masculine indeed.

Aswell as spraying on my skin I also gave a generous spray on a tester card. I have smelled the card again yesterday and today, and I´m sorry, but all I get is this cheap and tacky vanilla-musk note that still reminds me of the dreadful Vanilla Fields from Coty.
    To each his own and I am happy if others appreciate this fragrance. For me however it´s a nightmare.

Just got this for my hubby, I liked it immediately! Most of all, because it reminds me of the discontinued first Cerruti scent for men, which was named Nino Cerruti (1979). Nino Cerruti was a bit sweeter to me and I looked up the notes to compare the two. They don't seem to have much in common, but still, the thought of Nino Cerruti was there instantly, it's one of the discontinued male scents of the 80s, that I miss a lot.
    Does anyone else smell the similarity?

Cheers
    Safran

Notes, as of Fragrantica:

Carbone: The fragrance features elemi, musk, benzoin, bourbon pepper, ivy, violet leaf, vetiver, incense and black fig.

Nino Cerruti: Top notes are bergamot, amalfi lemon, green notes, mint, galbanum, hyacinth, lavender and juniper; middle notes are carnation, jasmine, nutmeg, thyme and pine; base notes are musk, oak moss, virginia cedar, amber, benzoin and fir.

Superb, tried this toady. Reminds me of Ambre Sultan, only a bit milder but with a more interesting if slightly less seductive accord in there somewhere. Could turn out to be a classic and rub shoulders with the greats such as Habit Rouge and Eau Sauvage IMHO. Also, I think it smells better from afar rather than up close, to the skin. Well priced for the quality as well.

Wow, it's a long ways between Vanilla Fields and Ambre Sultan.......or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    The bottle design is gorgeous, thanks for sharing the tip with us Hillaire. I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the name Carbone, sounds a bit crude, no?. They should have left off the 'e' at the end, Carbon sounds better to me. I am interested, the house of Balmain has certainly done some interesting things over the years.
    Would be great if Carbone was produced by Xerjoff. Hee.

I have big trouble picking out individual notes most of the time. I seem to take a fragrance as a whole, and in particular as a mood or a tone. This means I seem to make comparisons where others might not. I suppose it might mean I haven't got a clue as well I switched between Ambre Sultan and the Balmain and felt they were similar in some respects, even if their effect was created by quite different notes.

I have the original of this. The original and the new are OCEANS apart. The new stuff is dismal crap compared to the vintage.
    End of story.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

I have the original of this. The original and the new are OCEANS apart. The new stuff is dismal crap compared to the vintage.
    End of story.
    I did not know there was an original CARBONE...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

The name was slightly different, "Carbonique". It was originally from the 40´s I would guess. It is very hard to find any information about it. It is not listed in basenotes, and googling brings up nothing - but it was originally a very old fragrance from Balmain.
    The new Carbone I find not worthy of mention compared to the original.I was very,very disappointed in the new version.

Thumbs up Re: Balmain Carbone? Any thoughts???

The name was slightly different, "Carbonique". It was originally from the 40´s I would guess. It is very hard to find any information about it. It is not listed in basenotes, and googling brings up nothing - but it was originally a very old fragrance from Balmain.
    The new Carbone I find not worthy of mention compared to the original.I was very,very disappointed in the new version.

Merci David. I always thought that the first Balmain male perfume was Madame Germaine Cellier's Verveine Citronelle, after renamed as Monsieur Balmain
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Merci David. I always thought that the first Balmain male perfume was Madame Germaine Cellier's Verveine Citronelle, after renamed as Monsieur Balmain
    You are probably right. I am really guessing when I say that Carbonique was from the 40´s. I do not know. It´s amazing in this computer age the lack of information and documentation available.

Rather surprising ..the only "Carbonique " registrered is from Weil in 1935
    http://www.perfumeintelligence.co.uk.../c/c1/c1p7.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Makassar View Post
    Rather surprising ..the only "Carbonique " registrered is from Weil in 1935
    http://www.perfumeintelligence.co.uk.../c/c1/c1p7.htm
    Thanks a lot Makassar. I have made a dreadful mistake here. My bottle is probably the stuff from Weil. The problem is, part of my collection is in my apartment in Berlin and part is here in France. Next time I visit Berlin I will check. I am sure you are right, and thanks again for pointing it out. That also would explain why the Carbone smells absolutely nothing like Carbonique........
    Back to Balmain Carbone, I have tried it a few more times, but my nose still gets a tacky cheap coty Vanilla Fields / Vanilla Musk drydown.

i tried balmain carbone yesterday, just before going to basenotes. i am relentlessly searching for encense fragrances. the last time i was in paris i spent most of the day sampling ensence perfumes at lafayette. balmain carbone reminds me of bois d'armenie by guerlain. the closest i came to encense is annick goutal encens flamboyant, and bois d'armenie by guerlain. tom ford is close and has sillage. comme des garçons kyoto is another option but not strong, disappears quickly. i made some impulse purchases of reminiscence noir and angel schlesser which i regret. i now wear 24 gold by 20 century fox - yes the movie makers. it is close to what i want but not there yet. i welcome any suggestion as to how i can get closer to a perfect encense fragrance? i will probably buy the balmain carbone.

Quote Originally Posted by counto View Post
    i tried balmain carbone yesterday, just before going to basenotes. i am relentlessly searching for encense fragrances. the last time i was in paris i spent most of the day sampling ensence perfumes at lafayette. balmain carbone reminds me of bois d'armenie by guerlain. the closest i came to encense is annick goutal encens flamboyant, and bois d'armenie by guerlain. tom ford is close and has sillage. comme des garçons kyoto is another option but not strong, disappears quickly. i made some impulse purchases of reminiscence noir and angel schlesser which i regret. i now wear 24 gold by 20 century fox - yes the movie makers. it is close to what i want but not there yet. i welcome any suggestion as to how i can get closer to a perfect encense fragrance? i will probably buy the balmain carbone.
    I think you will enjoy it. I have this and it's quite nice IMO.

Sur la Plage

So has anyone else tried this, and if so, what are your thoughts?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Just googled Carbonique and I did find something. It brings up this thread!

Blog Entries

This one finally made its way to San Francisco and I smelled it yesterday. It was nice. It reminded me of their well-respected Ambre Gris, but masculinised with a shot of lavender and a lot of woods and incense underneath. In a way that's hard to describe, it smelled more like a top shelf designer scent than a better niche (I think it's the pink pepper, which is a note that's often used to make things smell more "familiar"), but I'd confidently place it in the same league as Halston Man Amber.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Sur la Plage

I tried it. It's a nice, light incense fragrance - but nothing special that I felt was worth purchasing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I tried it. It's a nice, light incense fragrance - but nothing special that I felt was worth purchasing.
    + 1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    +1 from me, too. Though it looks like it's turning up exceptionally cheap online. As such, it may make a good recommendation for the people looking for something clever and better than the usual in the $30 range.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

This juice is amazing !!
    If you like Gucci Pour Homme I ( not the 1976 ) you should like this , its juicer & wetter .
    To my nose it has much more depth which are beautiful , especially the opening notes & its base , with a lot extra going on right thru the entire life adding a much needed sweetness to those pencil shavings GPH 1 is famous for .
    It projects well & lasts sufficiently .
    A classic to be some years from now & perhaps some may say that GPH 1 was the building block for this one .

cheers

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Picked this one up today along with Balmain Ambre Gris. Anymore opinions on these 2, what should I expect? Based on notes and reviews i'm really excited!!
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 1st November 2012 at 07:11 AM.

I think this is a great one. Captures a bit of an incense feel, without being and closed in. Has a nice open quality. Very distinctive and easy to identify.

To a certain extent, it smells like a really good wooden pencil that's just been sharpened, but in a classy good kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by formosa View Post
    I think this is a great one. Captures a bit of an incense feel, without being closed in. Has a nice open quality. Very distinctive and easy to identify.

To a certain extent, it smells like a really good wooden pencil that's just been sharpened, but in a classy good kind of way.
    Agree with you. This has become one of my scents to go to in a pinch. Since I acquired it years back, I have grown to like it even more. Now thankfully can be found quite inexpensively.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Tried it for the first time today, and I think it's a very classy scent! I like it a lot.

For the first ten seconds it could do for those missing one of Ford´s Gucci. As to the rest, quite original on the woody - spicy side of things, amazing longevity.

Blind bought this about a year or so ago - nice, but not my favorite. Certainly worth the price however if you like this type of fragrance.

I get a very strong pencil shavings note from this - even more than GPHI.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

It has a very tenacious fig note which is blended with the incense and cedar. A complex interesting fragrance but is difficult to wear I find.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    It has a very tenacious fig note which is blended with the incense and cedar.
    Think that's a very apt way to describe it and glad someone else also got the "fig" in it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.