Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Time for a geezer Youtube channel?

Hey Guys:

I notice that there seems to be an abundance of kids on Youtube that review colognes.
    Based on what I've seen, they don't really seem to be very helpful. But then again, I guess you gotta give these kids credit for making the effort. Who knows, maybe they are actually helping the younger generation out.
    But anyway, I thought it'd be really cool if someone actually older than myself would start a channel. Maybe this would be hard, since most people over 60 probably don't even know what Youtube is. Maybe someone that already has a channel could get their grandpa or someone else older that has a 2 cents opinion about cologne. It would be cool to get someone raised on a powerhouse cologne mentality to sniff out some of these metro scents and really let the industry get an earful. Imagine someone with an Archie Bunker mindset giving his opinion on something like Kenzo Power. Then I think we'd be seeing all kinds of great funny cologne videos that don't always have to revolve around something like Secretions Magnifique.

Default Re: Time for a geezer Youtube channel?

What is the age range of "kids"? most of the reviewers i see on youtube are out of college age range. But I would like to see another reviewer definitely

Ehh...whaaa? Youtube?! What is this Mumbo Jumbo?

Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by remixx View Post
    What is the age range of "kids"? most of the reviewers i see on youtube are out of college age range. But I would like to see another reviewer definitely
    When I say "kids", I mean 16 and under for the most part. I searched Youtube for Guess Suede videos today. One kid looked about 12, one looked about 15, and the one looked about 18. What's really funny is that they sometimes go on for about 10 minutes.

You're looking at Guess Suede... look at who shops as Guess...

If you want mature YouTube reviews, then check out Patric (cyclexy), Julio? (NYFragranceBlog), Katie (KatiePuckrikSmells), Teresa (ariscotm)... ok, they're not all "mature" in that sense, but they are older then high-schoolers
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Dynamite Dennis comes to mind...
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

i welcome a more mature perspective, even though i am 24 i consider my taste for colognes a bit more mature anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    Dynamite Dennis comes to mind...
    I was just checking this guy out. Thanks for bringing his channel to my attention. He isn't quite what I'm looking for though. He seems like the Hugh Hefner type that just wants to impress the ladies. I'm thinking more along the lines of the old guy puppet from Jeff Dunham's ventriliquist show.

Mymickers and robes08 do pretty good job.

And why were you looking for Guess Suede. It smells like what a high schooler would smell like or a college student. Are you planning of getting it? I have one and I hate it. I would give it away.

I don't really see that video reviews are any improvement over written ones, so it doesn't bother me, and in fact, I prefer having a bunch of reviews in the same place, rather than having to hunt down the reviews of different people on youtube.

Well, while immaturity is not the main issue for me with youtube reviewers, I can see your point. However, when I come to think about it, if someone into this hobby or any hobby, their age won't matter much, they might know different perfumes though. I've been thinking about starting a youtube channel myself but I'm not the prettiest guy around so I'm not sure how that'd work out. I'm also young by the way.

If you ask me, the main issue with youtubers, is their videos are too long and they go through crap that someone in this hobby does not really care about; Notes run down, extended age recommendation (some really go on and on when it comes to age, hey people who love perfume don't care) and bottle prices/sizes, how much they'd spray or how. Who cares? can you talk about the experience of the perfume, what it smells like? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind someone talking about price, if they're gonna point out a deal or something interesting, I don't mind if they talk about age if the perfume is very noticeably mature. But really, get to the good stuff.

I'd sum what I'd review myself as follows: Presentation (I've studied some industrial design and marketing, so...I'm not gonna say something like "it's pretty"), Fragrance Strength, Overall fragrance smell/experience and finally, how does it compare to similar perfumes.

And don't forget the two minute shout outs they do.No one gives a fcuk who gave you what, just get to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Well, while immaturity is not the main issue for me with youtube reviewers, I can see your point. However, when I come to think about it, if someone into this hobby or any hobby, their age won't matter much, they might know different perfumes though. I've been thinking about starting a youtube channel myself but I'm not the prettiest guy around so I'm not sure how that'd work out. I'm also young by the way.

If you ask me, the main issue with youtubers, is their videos are too long and they go through crap that someone in this hobby does not really care about; Notes run down, extended age recommendation (some really go on and on when it comes to age, hey people who love perfume don't care) and bottle prices/sizes, how much they'd spray or how. Who cares? can you talk about the experience of the perfume, what it smells like? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind someone talking about price, if they're gonna point out a deal or something interesting, I don't mind if they talk about age if the perfume is very noticeably mature. But really, get to the good stuff.

I'd sum what I'd review myself as follows: Presentation (I've studied some industrial design and marketing, so...I'm not gonna say something like "it's pretty"), Fragrance Strength, Overall fragrance smell/experience and finally, how does it compare to similar perfumes.
    I somewhat agree on the age recommendation thing, though there are some scents which are really aimed at a younger crowd, so noting that in a review is helpful. I disagree on most of your other points. These reviews aren't aimed solely at the hardcore collectors like yourself, but also to help out those who may be new, or have different desires than your own. Bottle prices are very useful to someone considering a purchase, however, similar to your second point on it, I'd like to see some reviewers rehash easily findable retail prices a bit less and talk more about what price range can you find this for in non-department store markets. How many sprays also is very useful to someone who hasn't tried the fragrance. This speaks to how strong it is, how much or how little do you need to spray in order to achieve your desired result. For instance, if someone reviewed Joop Homme and made no mention about how many sprays would be good, the review would be woefully incomplete for someone who may go out and try it in a store (and not get an accurate representation of it's behemoth strength) then buy it. A quick notes rundown also is helpful for those who enjoy a particular note. Why does BN have note rundowns in nearly all of its fragrance pages? Because it's relevant and helpful to a potential buyer. Why is it important to compare to similar fragrances but not important to look at the notes? That's a bit contradictory. Of course the aspects you point out that you want to see are and should be the heart of the review since this is what matters the most, but these other aspects are very helpful points to someone considering a purchase and are worth mentioning. I don't think reviews have to be 15 minutes long if there isn't really 15 minutes worth of material to talk about, which I haven't seen in any review to date, but 8-10 minutes of useful information is a good thing.

Edit: To the post above, I agree, a few less of the endless shoutout lists would be nice. It's one thing to recommend some other reviewers to look at who are reviewing new frags, but the "Woooo! You're awesome man, thanks for friending me!!!" I just skip ahead.
    Last edited by fitch256; 12th October 2010 at 04:51 AM.

BradW. I find this a very amusing idea. Old guys giving the industry an earful, indeed!

I can just picture what the fun police would make of it!
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bradw View Post
    hey guys:

I notice that there seems to be an abundance of kids on youtube that review colognes.
    based on what i've seen, they don't really seem to be very helpful. but then again, i guess you gotta give these kids credit for making the effort. Who knows, maybe they are actually helping the younger generation out.
    But anyway, i thought it'd be really cool if someone actually older than myself would start a channel. Maybe this would be hard, since most people over 60 probably don't even know what youtube is. Maybe someone that already has a channel could get their grandpa or someone else older that has a 2 cents opinion about cologne. It would be cool to get someone raised on a powerhouse cologne mentality to sniff out some of these metro scents and really let the industry get an earful. Imagine someone with an archie bunker mindset giving his opinion on something like kenzo power. Then i think we'd be seeing all kinds of great funny cologne videos that don't always have to revolve around something like secretions magnifique.
    excuse me ?!?!?!?!
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

Kerosene

Brad,

As far as what's helpful or not, it's up to an individual to decide. I like how there's a lot of different reviewers out there, Young and Old. I dont just get my information from Basenotes or Youtube, but from other places too. And +1 for written reviews. They are gold to me.

But that's the beauty of the internet. You can pick and choose what you want to read and watch. But really from your post here, it really seems like you're looking for a mature person to only review mature smelling fragrances and bash modern ones you consider to be metrosexual. Am I wrong?

AromiErotici

I tend to lean more toward the written review just as a preference. The writer is more concerned with the review itself than possibly being distracted on how he/she is coming across aesthetically.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with all age groups doing webcam reviews. Some are amusing, some not so much.....but there are ones that you can glean the necessary information you happen to be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Brad,

As far as what's helpful or not, it's up to an individual to decide. I like how there's a lot of different reviewers out there, Young and Old. I dont just get my information from Basenotes or Youtube, but from other places too. And +1 for written reviews. They are gold to me.

But that's the beauty of the internet. You can pick and choose what you want to read and watch. But really from your post here, it really seems like you're looking for a mature person to only review mature smelling fragrances and bash modern ones you consider to be metrosexual. Am I wrong?
    Of the active reviewers on Youtube, I think I would certainly by the oldest of the bunch (at least based on your Sisters of Mercy tribute video). I work with a guy that is maybe 2 years younger than myself, and he really seems to be pretty good with picking colognes that are winners. So, age certainly seems to be a major factor when taking reviews for what they are really worth. So many basenoters don't disclose personal information, but the camera doesn't lie baby! I think the whole Secretions Magnifique video thing proves that entertainment is part of the equation as well. Just think how much frustration could be avoided if we all had a cologne mentor to help us. There also is certainly biases in the Youtube community that make it hard to take reviewers too seriously. Vetiver freaks, floral childs, incense lovers, etc,etc. etc.

Kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Of the active reviewers on Youtube, I think I would certainly by the oldest of the bunch (at least based on your Sisters of Mercy tribute video). I work with a guy that is maybe 2 years younger than myself, and he really seems to be pretty good with picking colognes that are winners. So, age certainly seems to be a major factor when taking reviews for what they are really worth. So many basenoters don't disclose personal information, but the camera doesn't lie baby! I think the whole Secretions Magnifique video thing proves that entertainment is part of the equation as well. Just think how much frustration could be avoided if we all had a cologne mentor to help us. There also is certainly biases in the Youtube community that make it hard to take reviewers too seriously. Vetiver freaks, floral childs, incense lovers, etc,etc. etc.
    A mentor? For smells? Nah. Not needed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gabystie View Post

And why were you looking for Guess Suede. It smells like what a high schooler would smell like or a college student. Are you planning of getting it? I have one and I hate it. I would give it away.
    This is actually one of my favorite fragrances. If you are really serious about giving it away, I would gladly pay for shipping. Please PM me if you are serious. Thanks.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

'geezer' is probably a politically incorrect term. I suppose you could also do it by proxy like the twitter "Sh!t my dad says"... I'd love to see a storytelling styled review on youtube. Variety is always welcome but keep it short & punchy - 5 minutes or less. Written reviews are easier to reread but I doubt if anyone would replay a 10-min video review just to catch the important bits.

Quote Originally Posted by gabystie View Post

I have a sample and plan to review it. I like to see what other reviewers (both written and video) have to say about it. From what I have gathered, most people seem to like this one. Certainly a good value cologne IMO.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Sorry! Duplicate post. See the post immediately following.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 13th October 2010 at 07:08 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I don't think age plays any role in fragrances. Of course, an older gentleman, may have smelled more of the fragrances from his time, many of which are unavailable and discontinued. But, speaking in generalities, there's no reason why somebody 12 years old can't review something like Paco Rabanne pH. Appeal isn't based on age, but on preference. I myself love Aramis, Azzaro pH, Paco Rabanne pH, Polo, etc; but I also love One Million, A*Men, Joop! and so on, and I'm 26.

Rather than an older reviewer, how about a more diverse reviewer?

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all reviewers, whether written or You Tubed. Your time and effort is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I don't think age plays any role in fragrances. Of course, an older gentleman, may have smelled more of the fragrances from his time, many of which are unavailable and discontinued. But, speaking in generalities, there's no reason why somebody 12 years old can't review something like Paco Rabanne pH. Appeal isn't based on age, but on preference. I myself love Aramis, Azzaro pH, Paco Rabanne pH, Polo, etc; but I also love One Million, A*Men, Joop! and so on, and I'm 26.

Rather than an older reviewer, how about a more diverse reviewer?
    I think 26 should be a near perfect age for a cologne reviewer. You can certainly appreciate the sweet/floral/metro scents,but at the same time, should start to appreciate classics and vetivers as well.
    I wonder what a highschooler would make of a niche frag like Chergui or Gris Clair? As for diversity, I'll tackle anything. Fumerie Turque, Disney Cars cologne, Vampire Perfume, Avons, whatever....

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all reviewers, whether written or You Tubed. Your time and effort is appreciated.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I somewhat agree on the age recommendation thing, though there are some scents which are really aimed at a younger crowd, so noting that in a review is helpful. I disagree on most of your other points. These reviews aren't aimed solely at the hardcore collectors like yourself, but also to help out those who may be new, or have different desires than your own. Bottle prices are very useful to someone considering a purchase, however, similar to your second point on it, I'd like to see some reviewers rehash easily findable retail prices a bit less and talk more about what price range can you find this for in non-department store markets. How many sprays also is very useful to someone who hasn't tried the fragrance. This speaks to how strong it is, how much or how little do you need to spray in order to achieve your desired result. For instance, if someone reviewed Joop Homme and made no mention about how many sprays would be good, the review would be woefully incomplete for someone who may go out and try it in a store (and not get an accurate representation of it's behemoth strength) then buy it. A quick notes rundown also is helpful for those who enjoy a particular note. Why does BN have note rundowns in nearly all of its fragrance pages? Because it's relevant and helpful to a potential buyer. Why is it important to compare to similar fragrances but not important to look at the notes? That's a bit contradictory. Of course the aspects you point out that you want to see are and should be the heart of the review since this is what matters the most, but these other aspects are very helpful points to someone considering a purchase and are worth mentioning. I don't think reviews have to be 15 minutes long if there isn't really 15 minutes worth of material to talk about, which I haven't seen in any review to date, but 8-10 minutes of useful information is a good thing.

Edit: To the post above, I agree, a few less of the endless shoutout lists would be nice. It's one thing to recommend some other reviewers to look at who are reviewing new frags, but the "Woooo! You're awesome man, thanks for friending me!!!" I just skip ahead.
    Alright, maybe I was no clear enough.

When I spoke about note run downs, I meant nobody cares as in nobody is going to keep track. It's like naming the 20 parts that make a piece of furniture, half of which the viewer has no idea what they are. They are more useful in written form, the same way they are here in basenotes, some reviewers are starting to show the notes on the screen instead of just mindlessly reading them. If your brain can keep track of all of the names of notes mentioned, and you actually go search them right after the video without the aid of any other source, then kudos to you. Maybe I'm one of those who have a visual memory so I'm biased here. I did not say notes should be absolutely skipped, they should be if there's nothing interesting to say about them, just show them on screen. For example, if a specific note marks the difference between two perfumes, it's worth mentioning.

Regarding how many sprays, again, redundant if you're going to mention how strong a perfume is, which is enough for the viewer to adjust to knowing his skin type and environment. Don't get me wrong, some tips are useful, like don't spray this particular sweet fragrance right under your neck or it will get cloying, and so on. But if you're going to mention that "You have 2 sprays on the side of your neck, and 1 on your wrist then tap your wrists" in 15 videos in a row, you've wasted 30 mins of your viewers time. Again, no point if the fragrance is not a special case, mentioning it's strength is sufficient.

And as for your argument of non-hardcore perfume lovers watching those videos. Of course I don't expect all the viewers to be the same as I am, but the majority is probably is. I doubt someone who buys 1 perfume every 6 months is going to bother spend 2 hours a week watching reviewers. I.E. Those sort of videos are not interesting to those who are not into the hobby for reviewers to go into them over and over and over.

I'm just saying many perfume reviewers on youtube are very redundant, a lot of the video time goes into making useless points, subjective points (like mentioning the specific price of every bottle size in the store they got it from, instead of just the price range), or points already mentioned in their previous videos. But hey, that's just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Hey Guys:

I notice that there seems to be an abundance of kids on Youtube that review colognes.
    Based on what I've seen, they don't really seem to be very helpful. But then again, I guess you gotta give these kids credit for making the effort. Who knows, maybe they are actually helping the younger generation out.
    But anyway, I thought it'd be really cool if someone actually older than myself would start a channel. Maybe this would be hard, since most people over 60 probably don't even know what Youtube is. Maybe someone that already has a channel could get their grandpa or someone else older that has a 2 cents opinion about cologne. It would be cool to get someone raised on a powerhouse cologne mentality to sniff out some of these metro scents and really let the industry get an earful. Imagine someone with an Archie Bunker mindset giving his opinion on something like Kenzo Power. Then I think we'd be seeing all kinds of great funny cologne videos that don't always have to revolve around something like Secretions Magnifique.
    Let’s try this.......

Before you make a post like this next time how about you do a bit more looking. It’s funny but what fragrances were you looking at to run into these "kids"? Curve? Axe? Old Spice?

If you typed pretty much any fragrance that had been review you should of got Marc(robes08), Jonathon(jrwriter), Matthew(mksoui), Julio(nyfrangranceblog), Ashkan(959lover), Kerosene, Teresa(ariscotm), Tim(tswetcoff) or myself Brandon(cutlasssupremesl) on top of the page. All of who are over the age of 21.

So you either:
    -Did not look
    -Ignored our videos that are on the top with the most views and ratings
    -Are trying to be smart and saying "kids" but are really talking about us.

So beyond that I don't think I have to be over 50 years old to tell you what a fragrance smells like and give you my opinion.

Now that’s just my two cents.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSupremeSL View Post
    Let’s try this.......

Before you make a post like this next time how about you do a bit more looking. It’s funny but what fragrances were you looking at to run into these "kids"? Curve? Axe? Old Spice?

If you typed pretty much any fragrance that had been review you should of got Marc(robes08), Jonathon(jrwriter), Matthew(mksoui), Julio(nyfrangranceblog), Ashkan(959lover), Kerosene, Teresa(ariscotm), Tim(tswetcoff) or myself Brandon(cutlasssupremesl) on top of the page. All of who are over the age of 21.

So you either:
    -Did not look
    -Ignored our videos that are on the top with the most views and ratings
    -Are trying to be smart and saying "kids" but are really talking about us.

So beyond that I don't think I have to be over 50 years old to tell you what a fragrance smells like and give you my opinion.

Now that’s just my two cents.
    Hey Brandon:

I don't want to give the impression that I'm calling people in their 20s or 30s "kids". When I say "kids", I mean pretty much that you don't even have your driver's license yet. I even saw a kid about 15 years old talking about ways to layer three different colognes, which I really thought was kinda deep for someone that would probably do well just to describe the cologne as hand.