Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Time for a geezer Youtube channel?

Hey Guys:

I notice that there seems to be an abundance of kids on Youtube that review colognes.
    Based on what I've seen, they don't really seem to be very helpful. But then again, I guess you gotta give these kids credit for making the effort. Who knows, maybe they are actually helping the younger generation out.
    But anyway, I thought it'd be really cool if someone actually older than myself would start a channel. Maybe this would be hard, since most people over 60 probably don't even know what Youtube is. Maybe someone that already has a channel could get their grandpa or someone else older that has a 2 cents opinion about cologne. It would be cool to get someone raised on a powerhouse cologne mentality to sniff out some of these metro scents and really let the industry get an earful. Imagine someone with an Archie Bunker mindset giving his opinion on something like Kenzo Power. Then I think we'd be seeing all kinds of great funny cologne videos that don't always have to revolve around something like Secretions Magnifique.

Default Re: Time for a geezer Youtube channel?

What is the age range of "kids"? most of the reviewers i see on youtube are out of college age range. But I would like to see another reviewer definitely

Ehh...whaaa? Youtube?! What is this Mumbo Jumbo?

Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by remixx View Post
    What is the age range of "kids"? most of the reviewers i see on youtube are out of college age range. But I would like to see another reviewer definitely
    When I say "kids", I mean 16 and under for the most part. I searched Youtube for Guess Suede videos today. One kid looked about 12, one looked about 15, and the one looked about 18. What's really funny is that they sometimes go on for about 10 minutes.

You're looking at Guess Suede... look at who shops as Guess...

If you want mature YouTube reviews, then check out Patric (cyclexy), Julio? (NYFragranceBlog), Katie (KatiePuckrikSmells), Teresa (ariscotm)... ok, they're not all "mature" in that sense, but they are older then high-schoolers
    HARD TO FIND -

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Dynamite Dennis comes to mind...
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

i welcome a more mature perspective, even though i am 24 i consider my taste for colognes a bit more mature anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    Dynamite Dennis comes to mind...
    I was just checking this guy out. Thanks for bringing his channel to my attention. He isn't quite what I'm looking for though. He seems like the Hugh Hefner type that just wants to impress the ladies. I'm thinking more along the lines of the old guy puppet from Jeff Dunham's ventriliquist show.

Mymickers and robes08 do pretty good job.

And why were you looking for Guess Suede. It smells like what a high schooler would smell like or a college student. Are you planning of getting it? I have one and I hate it. I would give it away.

I don't really see that video reviews are any improvement over written ones, so it doesn't bother me, and in fact, I prefer having a bunch of reviews in the same place, rather than having to hunt down the reviews of different people on youtube.

Well, while immaturity is not the main issue for me with youtube reviewers, I can see your point. However, when I come to think about it, if someone into this hobby or any hobby, their age won't matter much, they might know different perfumes though. I've been thinking about starting a youtube channel myself but I'm not the prettiest guy around so I'm not sure how that'd work out. I'm also young by the way.

If you ask me, the main issue with youtubers, is their videos are too long and they go through crap that someone in this hobby does not really care about; Notes run down, extended age recommendation (some really go on and on when it comes to age, hey people who love perfume don't care) and bottle prices/sizes, how much they'd spray or how. Who cares? can you talk about the experience of the perfume, what it smells like? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind someone talking about price, if they're gonna point out a deal or something interesting, I don't mind if they talk about age if the perfume is very noticeably mature. But really, get to the good stuff.

I'd sum what I'd review myself as follows: Presentation (I've studied some industrial design and marketing, so...I'm not gonna say something like "it's pretty"), Fragrance Strength, Overall fragrance smell/experience and finally, how does it compare to similar perfumes.

And don't forget the two minute shout outs they do.No one gives a fcuk who gave you what, just get to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Well, while immaturity is not the main issue for me with youtube reviewers, I can see your point. However, when I come to think about it, if someone into this hobby or any hobby, their age won't matter much, they might know different perfumes though. I've been thinking about starting a youtube channel myself but I'm not the prettiest guy around so I'm not sure how that'd work out. I'm also young by the way.

If you ask me, the main issue with youtubers, is their videos are too long and they go through crap that someone in this hobby does not really care about; Notes run down, extended age recommendation (some really go on and on when it comes to age, hey people who love perfume don't care) and bottle prices/sizes, how much they'd spray or how. Who cares? can you talk about the experience of the perfume, what it smells like? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind someone talking about price, if they're gonna point out a deal or something interesting, I don't mind if they talk about age if the perfume is very noticeably mature. But really, get to the good stuff.

I'd sum what I'd review myself as follows: Presentation (I've studied some industrial design and marketing, so...I'm not gonna say something like "it's pretty"), Fragrance Strength, Overall fragrance smell/experience and finally, how does it compare to similar perfumes.
    I somewhat agree on the age recommendation thing, though there are some scents which are really aimed at a younger crowd, so noting that in a review is helpful. I disagree on most of your other points. These reviews aren't aimed solely at the hardcore collectors like yourself, but also to help out those who may be new, or have different desires than your own. Bottle prices are very useful to someone considering a purchase, however, similar to your second point on it, I'd like to see some reviewers rehash easily findable retail prices a bit less and talk more about what price range can you find this for in non-department store markets. How many sprays also is very useful to someone who hasn't tried the fragrance. This speaks to how strong it is, how much or how little do you need to spray in order to achieve your desired result. For instance, if someone reviewed Joop Homme and made no mention about how many sprays would be good, the review would be woefully incomplete for someone who may go out and try it in a store (and not get an accurate representation of it's behemoth strength) then buy it. A quick notes rundown also is helpful for those who enjoy a particular note. Why does BN have note rundowns in nearly all of its fragrance pages? Because it's relevant and helpful to a potential buyer. Why is it important to compare to similar fragrances but not important to look at the notes? That's a bit contradictory. Of course the aspects you point out that you want to see are and should be the heart of the review since this is what matters the most, but these other aspects are very helpful points to someone considering a purchase and are worth mentioning. I don't think reviews have to be 15 minutes long if there isn't really 15 minutes worth of material to talk about, which I haven't seen in any review to date, but 8-10 minutes of useful information is a good thing.

Edit: To the post above, I agree, a few less of the endless shoutout lists would be nice. It's one thing to recommend some other reviewers to look at who are reviewing new frags, but the "Woooo! You're awesome man, thanks for friending me!!!" I just skip ahead.
    Last edited by fitch256; 12th October 2010 at 05:51 AM.

BradW. I find this a very amusing idea. Old guys giving the industry an earful, indeed!

I can just picture what the fun police would make of it!
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bradw View Post
    hey guys:

I notice that there seems to be an abundance of kids on youtube that review colognes.
    based on what i've seen, they don't really seem to be very helpful. but then again, i guess you gotta give these kids credit for making the effort. Who knows, maybe they are actually helping the younger generation out.
    But anyway, i thought it'd be really cool if someone actually older than myself would start a channel. Maybe this would be hard, since most people over 60 probably don't even know what youtube is. Maybe someone that already has a channel could get their grandpa or someone else older that has a 2 cents opinion about cologne. It would be cool to get someone raised on a powerhouse cologne mentality to sniff out some of these metro scents and really let the industry get an earful. Imagine someone with an archie bunker mindset giving his opinion on something like kenzo power. Then i think we'd be seeing all kinds of great funny cologne videos that don't always have to revolve around something like secretions magnifique.
    excuse me ?!?!?!?!
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

Brad,

As far as what's helpful or not, it's up to an individual to decide. I like how there's a lot of different reviewers out there, Young and Old. I dont just get my information from Basenotes or Youtube, but from other places too. And +1 for written reviews. They are gold to me.

But that's the beauty of the internet. You can pick and choose what you want to read and watch. But really from your post here, it really seems like you're looking for a mature person to only review mature smelling fragrances and bash modern ones you consider to be metrosexual. Am I wrong?
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

AromiErotici

I tend to lean more toward the written review just as a preference. The writer is more concerned with the review itself than possibly being distracted on how he/she is coming across aesthetically.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with all age groups doing webcam reviews. Some are amusing, some not so much.....but there are ones that you can glean the necessary information you happen to be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Brad,

As far as what's helpful or not, it's up to an individual to decide. I like how there's a lot of different reviewers out there, Young and Old. I dont just get my information from Basenotes or Youtube, but from other places too. And +1 for written reviews. They are gold to me.

But that's the beauty of the internet. You can pick and choose what you want to read and watch. But really from your post here, it really seems like you're looking for a mature person to only review mature smelling fragrances and bash modern ones you consider to be metrosexual. Am I wrong?
    Of the active reviewers on Youtube, I think I would certainly by the oldest of the bunch (at least based on your Sisters of Mercy tribute video). I work with a guy that is maybe 2 years younger than myself, and he really seems to be pretty good with picking colognes that are winners. So, age certainly seems to be a major factor when taking reviews for what they are really worth. So many basenoters don't disclose personal information, but the camera doesn't lie baby! I think the whole Secretions Magnifique video thing proves that entertainment is part of the equation as well. Just think how much frustration could be avoided if we all had a cologne mentor to help us. There also is certainly biases in the Youtube community that make it hard to take reviewers too seriously. Vetiver freaks, floral childs, incense lovers, etc,etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Of the active reviewers on Youtube, I think I would certainly by the oldest of the bunch (at least based on your Sisters of Mercy tribute video). I work with a guy that is maybe 2 years younger than myself, and he really seems to be pretty good with picking colognes that are winners. So, age certainly seems to be a major factor when taking reviews for what they are really worth. So many basenoters don't disclose personal information, but the camera doesn't lie baby! I think the whole Secretions Magnifique video thing proves that entertainment is part of the equation as well. Just think how much frustration could be avoided if we all had a cologne mentor to help us. There also is certainly biases in the Youtube community that make it hard to take reviewers too seriously. Vetiver freaks, floral childs, incense lovers, etc,etc. etc.
    A mentor? For smells? Nah. Not needed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gabystie View Post

And why were you looking for Guess Suede. It smells like what a high schooler would smell like or a college student. Are you planning of getting it? I have one and I hate it. I would give it away.
    This is actually one of my favorite fragrances. If you are really serious about giving it away, I would gladly pay for shipping. Please PM me if you are serious. Thanks.

Basenotes Plus

'geezer' is probably a politically incorrect term. I suppose you could also do it by proxy like the twitter "Sh!t my dad says"... I'd love to see a storytelling styled review on youtube. Variety is always welcome but keep it short & punchy - 5 minutes or less. Written reviews are easier to reread but I doubt if anyone would replay a 10-min video review just to catch the important bits.

Quote Originally Posted by gabystie View Post

I have a sample and plan to review it. I like to see what other reviewers (both written and video) have to say about it. From what I have gathered, most people seem to like this one. Certainly a good value cologne IMO.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Sorry! Duplicate post. See the post immediately following.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 13th October 2010 at 08:08 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I don't think age plays any role in fragrances. Of course, an older gentleman, may have smelled more of the fragrances from his time, many of which are unavailable and discontinued. But, speaking in generalities, there's no reason why somebody 12 years old can't review something like Paco Rabanne pH. Appeal isn't based on age, but on preference. I myself love Aramis, Azzaro pH, Paco Rabanne pH, Polo, etc; but I also love One Million, A*Men, Joop! and so on, and I'm 26.

Rather than an older reviewer, how about a more diverse reviewer?

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all reviewers, whether written or You Tubed. Your time and effort is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I don't think age plays any role in fragrances. Of course, an older gentleman, may have smelled more of the fragrances from his time, many of which are unavailable and discontinued. But, speaking in generalities, there's no reason why somebody 12 years old can't review something like Paco Rabanne pH. Appeal isn't based on age, but on preference. I myself love Aramis, Azzaro pH, Paco Rabanne pH, Polo, etc; but I also love One Million, A*Men, Joop! and so on, and I'm 26.

Rather than an older reviewer, how about a more diverse reviewer?
    I think 26 should be a near perfect age for a cologne reviewer. You can certainly appreciate the sweet/floral/metro scents,but at the same time, should start to appreciate classics and vetivers as well.
    I wonder what a highschooler would make of a niche frag like Chergui or Gris Clair? As for diversity, I'll tackle anything. Fumerie Turque, Disney Cars cologne, Vampire Perfume, Avons, whatever....

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all reviewers, whether written or You Tubed. Your time and effort is appreciated.
    +1.
    HARD TO FIND -

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I somewhat agree on the age recommendation thing, though there are some scents which are really aimed at a younger crowd, so noting that in a review is helpful. I disagree on most of your other points. These reviews aren't aimed solely at the hardcore collectors like yourself, but also to help out those who may be new, or have different desires than your own. Bottle prices are very useful to someone considering a purchase, however, similar to your second point on it, I'd like to see some reviewers rehash easily findable retail prices a bit less and talk more about what price range can you find this for in non-department store markets. How many sprays also is very useful to someone who hasn't tried the fragrance. This speaks to how strong it is, how much or how little do you need to spray in order to achieve your desired result. For instance, if someone reviewed Joop Homme and made no mention about how many sprays would be good, the review would be woefully incomplete for someone who may go out and try it in a store (and not get an accurate representation of it's behemoth strength) then buy it. A quick notes rundown also is helpful for those who enjoy a particular note. Why does BN have note rundowns in nearly all of its fragrance pages? Because it's relevant and helpful to a potential buyer. Why is it important to compare to similar fragrances but not important to look at the notes? That's a bit contradictory. Of course the aspects you point out that you want to see are and should be the heart of the review since this is what matters the most, but these other aspects are very helpful points to someone considering a purchase and are worth mentioning. I don't think reviews have to be 15 minutes long if there isn't really 15 minutes worth of material to talk about, which I haven't seen in any review to date, but 8-10 minutes of useful information is a good thing.

Edit: To the post above, I agree, a few less of the endless shoutout lists would be nice. It's one thing to recommend some other reviewers to look at who are reviewing new frags, but the "Woooo! You're awesome man, thanks for friending me!!!" I just skip ahead.
    Alright, maybe I was no clear enough.

When I spoke about note run downs, I meant nobody cares as in nobody is going to keep track. It's like naming the 20 parts that make a piece of furniture, half of which the viewer has no idea what they are. They are more useful in written form, the same way they are here in basenotes, some reviewers are starting to show the notes on the screen instead of just mindlessly reading them. If your brain can keep track of all of the names of notes mentioned, and you actually go search them right after the video without the aid of any other source, then kudos to you. Maybe I'm one of those who have a visual memory so I'm biased here. I did not say notes should be absolutely skipped, they should be if there's nothing interesting to say about them, just show them on screen. For example, if a specific note marks the difference between two perfumes, it's worth mentioning.

Regarding how many sprays, again, redundant if you're going to mention how strong a perfume is, which is enough for the viewer to adjust to knowing his skin type and environment. Don't get me wrong, some tips are useful, like don't spray this particular sweet fragrance right under your neck or it will get cloying, and so on. But if you're going to mention that "You have 2 sprays on the side of your neck, and 1 on your wrist then tap your wrists" in 15 videos in a row, you've wasted 30 mins of your viewers time. Again, no point if the fragrance is not a special case, mentioning it's strength is sufficient.

And as for your argument of non-hardcore perfume lovers watching those videos. Of course I don't expect all the viewers to be the same as I am, but the majority is probably is. I doubt someone who buys 1 perfume every 6 months is going to bother spend 2 hours a week watching reviewers. I.E. Those sort of videos are not interesting to those who are not into the hobby for reviewers to go into them over and over and over.

I'm just saying many perfume reviewers on youtube are very redundant, a lot of the video time goes into making useless points, subjective points (like mentioning the specific price of every bottle size in the store they got it from, instead of just the price range), or points already mentioned in their previous videos. But hey, that's just my two cents.

Hey Guys:

I notice that there seems to be an abundance of kids on Youtube that review colognes.
    Based on what I've seen, they don't really seem to be very helpful. But then again, I guess you gotta give these kids credit for making the effort. Who knows, maybe they are actually helping the younger generation out.
    But anyway, I thought it'd be really cool if someone actually older than myself would start a channel. Maybe this would be hard, since most people over 60 probably don't even know what Youtube is. Maybe someone that already has a channel could get their grandpa or someone else older that has a 2 cents opinion about cologne. It would be cool to get someone raised on a powerhouse cologne mentality to sniff out some of these metro scents and really let the industry get an earful. Imagine someone with an Archie Bunker mindset giving his opinion on something like Kenzo Power. Then I think we'd be seeing all kinds of great funny cologne videos that don't always have to revolve around something like Secretions Magnifique.
    Let’s try this.......

Before you make a post like this next time how about you do a bit more looking. It’s funny but what fragrances were you looking at to run into these "kids"? Curve? Axe? Old Spice?

If you typed pretty much any fragrance that had been review you should of got Marc(robes08), Jonathon(jrwriter), Matthew(mksoui), Julio(nyfrangranceblog), Ashkan(959lover), Kerosene, Teresa(ariscotm), Tim(tswetcoff) or myself Brandon(cutlasssupremesl) on top of the page. All of who are over the age of 21.

So you either:
    -Did not look
    -Ignored our videos that are on the top with the most views and ratings
    -Are trying to be smart and saying "kids" but are really talking about us.

So beyond that I don't think I have to be over 50 years old to tell you what a fragrance smells like and give you my opinion.

Now that’s just my two cents.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSupremeSL View Post
    Let’s try this.......

Before you make a post like this next time how about you do a bit more looking. It’s funny but what fragrances were you looking at to run into these "kids"? Curve? Axe? Old Spice?

If you typed pretty much any fragrance that had been review you should of got Marc(robes08), Jonathon(jrwriter), Matthew(mksoui), Julio(nyfrangranceblog), Ashkan(959lover), Kerosene, Teresa(ariscotm), Tim(tswetcoff) or myself Brandon(cutlasssupremesl) on top of the page. All of who are over the age of 21.

So you either:
    -Did not look
    -Ignored our videos that are on the top with the most views and ratings
    -Are trying to be smart and saying "kids" but are really talking about us.

So beyond that I don't think I have to be over 50 years old to tell you what a fragrance smells like and give you my opinion.

Now that’s just my two cents.
    Hey Brandon:

I don't want to give the impression that I'm calling people in their 20s or 30s "kids". When I say "kids", I mean pretty much that you don't even have your driver's license yet. I even saw a kid about 15 years old talking about ways to layer three different colognes, which I really thought was kinda deep for someone that would probably do well just to describe the cologne as hand.

Blog Entries

Heh, you want the opinion of someone raised on power houses? Give me a camera...

I wasn't really raised on powerhouses but the awful longevity and projection of most modern fragrances bothers the hell out of me

I recommend checking out Ashkan, Marc, Julio (especially for niches), Brandon, and JRWriter. They give excellent opinions. Guinea54 is also great if you want an extremely blunt opinion, he's still relatively new though so he doesn't have a ton of reviews. The other guys have a bunch and I've found their reviews have helped me a lot. I pretty much just use Youtube reviews for a second opinion now. When I first started out, they're what really got me into the whole fragrance thing. And all because I looked up a review on Hollister's SoCal...

Not an old geezer by any means, but I think mrclmind was by far the most experienced nose who did Youtube reviews. Unfortunate that he decided to take them all down for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Not an old geezer by any means, but I think mrclmind was by far the most experienced nose who did Youtube reviews. Unfortunate that he decided to take them all down for whatever reason.
    I guess if he was a true geezer, he would have deleted them all by mistake. I'm afraid I'll do the same if I'm not careful LOL.

Just to let you know Dynamite Denis just posted a video of a YSL fragrance made in 1971.

I think the idea of "Geezer" Youtube sounds a little bit of agism discrimination to me. It's not sexist or racist but it definitely is age discrimination - "ageism"? and is no different than any other discrimination practice that intends to segregate one group from another based on surface or cultural characteristics. The idea doesn't make sense to me because some of the best young original ideas I've heard come from older people. Some of our better fragrance opinionators and reviewers here are in their early twenties. Age don't matter! Older people may or may not be more experienced but their sense of smell is "forever young" during the moment of use. I think it is a non issue really.

Why not go all the way and have a Geezer Basenotes, Geezer Google . . . Geezer Twitter. Whatever, we Geezers have time on our side as the baby boom generation is joining up quickly - Geezers are gaining on the rest of the world!

Time for less Youtube reviewers. I also think geezer is a rude word.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Hey Brandon:

I don't want to give the impression that I'm calling people in their 20s or 30s "kids". When I say "kids", I mean pretty much that you don't even have your driver's license yet. I even saw a kid about 15 years old talking about ways to layer three different colognes, which I really thought was kinda deep for someone that would probably do well just to describe the cologne as hand.
    I think you just like to argue, Brad. Who cares what somebodies age is. As Kerosene said, you have the option of watching who you wanna watch. The beauty of the internet. Perhaps you're feeling a little insecure because of your own age and the fact that the majority are younger than you? Mickers is in his mid or late 30's and he seems to be able to relate to the entire audience. Sounds like you have some insecurities, Brad.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I think you just like to argue, Brad. Who cares what somebodies age is. As Kerosene said, you have the option of watching who you wanna watch. The beauty of the internet. Perhaps you're feeling a little insecure because of your own age and the fact that the majority are younger than you? Mickers is in his mid or late 30's and he seems to be able to relate to the entire audience. Sounds like you have some insecurities, Brad.
    I agree that Mickers is one of the best Youtube reviewers. The fact that he is mid 30s means that his taste should represent a segment of his generation. I'd expect most Youtube cologne channel subscibers to be under 30, so they are getting opinions from older and younger reviewers. All reviewers I see are younger. I personally dislike some popular faves like Le Male. Most younger reviewers seem to love it. I wouldn't expect a teenager to like most vetivers, but that should come with the territory. So, I still believe that age will affect a reviewers perspective quite strongly.

Absolutely not a geezer, but an experienced nose. I love his reviews.
    Evenstar

Based on what I've seen, they don't really seem to be very helpful.
    I'm with Brandon on this one, no disrespect to you Brad but it feels like your slapping your fellow reviewers in the face with this quote. I find it's great to have as many reviewers on the tube that we can at ANY age group. Does not matter of your age, at this point I'm actually enjoying Guerlain's Vetiver and who would of thought a guy my age could actually enjoy that frag. We all have different tastes , but it does not matter what age you are, does not mean if your older that you have much more experience then a guy like Brandon or Kerosene . Sometimes it's great to enjoy the journey the younger reviewers go with, including myself I get lots of mail saying how they enjoy my channel because it feels like they are on a journey with me while I expend my tastes . At the start of my youtube channel I was reviewing the mainstream heavy hitters and I loved the sweet frags like Le Male , 1 million , Rochas etc.... then my taste expended not only into the niche frags but also enjoying frags that no one would think a guy my age would love. Do we need a experienced nose in his 50's to lead us on youtube ??? Not at all !!! It would be nice to have youtube reviewers not only in different age groups and from different countries , that I would agree but the way this was said kinda left a sour taste in my mouth . I don't believe age equals a better review like you say Brad, not only that but I think we have a great collection of guys on youtube that actually have some expended taste and most guys are getting into niche and unknown scents which is great to get some of these subscribers to know some unknown jewels..

this is my 2 cents on this subject , perhaps I took what you said wrong and if so I apologize
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

i hapen to think the current reviews, in particular the ones that i really follow and watch alot: Brandon(Cutlasssupremesl) and Marc(Robes08, or on Basenotes known as L''homme), and JR Writer have been an extremely big part of my fragrance "journey". I wouldnt say id be lost without them, but theyve definetly helped me each step of the way.

big appreciation to them. keep doing your thing. its much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Time for less Youtube reviewers. I also think geezer is a rude word.
    I think adding venues to a hobby is healthy. The fact that fragrance love and knowledge has spread from one place to the next is great and should continue. What you are saying is a result of a very sequestered mentality. It is quite sad that men of my age see this as an opportunity to have our own impact on society through the mediums we are familiar with while you do not. Why do more seasoned noses not do videos? Perhaps they aren't comfortable talking to a camera and having to edit. Heck, teaching my parents to use a computer when the technology was becoming popularized was a task and I don't blame the newcomers being apprehensive on trying. What do they end up doing? Sticking with something they are somewhat familiar with which is typing. Of course I'm talking about the extremes here with elders knowing how to use typewriters and the youngins typing 120 words per minute on their iPhones.

When you say time for less YouTube reviewers, that hurts. That cut real deep you know that? My hurt can only be remedied by warm fuzzy feelings that my designer fragrances can instill.

Ekove, very valid points you have. Really, they all are but you are failing to realize something: style is determined by the author. I've seen basenotes reviews as long as novellas and as short as one liners. On the flipside I've seen videos on YouTube as long as the maximum allowable and as short as Brad's two minute ones. More time spent doesn't necessarily equal more usable information and I understand that, but that doesn't change the fact that some one liners are funny as hell and some 11 minute video put you in a trance, both with the ability to warrant intrigue. Most everybody has style with all reviews of fragrance but what it comes down to is if their style is compatible with the listener/reader. I know I personally have always kept an open-door-policy with my channel and am always willing to hear critique/comments. Youtube reviewers are always trying to improve our channels, and everyone here on basenotes does as well since we are all constantly learning about fragrance.

Lastly, age is a deciding factor for fragrance. Why? Look at the name of this topic. There is a clear subconscious line between age groups and while some might think it's useless to include this information in a review, it is important because some 40 year olds sometimes act like teenagers and vice-versa, and we all know it's a persons confidence that is the deciding factor of the wearability of a scent, not physical apperance. Or at least that's what all you 'more seasoned' noses are trying to say.

I am no expert, I'm just a man with a love of the sense of smell and some time to talk about my experiences.

Ashkan
    "You smell fantastic, what is that?"
    "It's diesel"
    "*nods* Wow, it's incredible"
    "No, you don't understand....it's diesel fuel"
    "Oh, okay, i'll buy that one then"

I think one of the best things a Youtube reviewer can do is post a top 10 video of their favorite colognes. If they are diverse enough to include every season, so much the better. That way, the viewer has a great frame of reference in terms of what the reviewer likes for the most part. Ok, so maybe I touched a nerve with the "don't seem to be very helpful" remark. Of course, it doesn't matter how old you are, we each probably endorse a cologne that the majority of the public either hates or is indifferent about. Maybe I should put a disclaimer at the beginning of my videos: "Warning, if you like Le Male, A*Men, or Pi, you may not like what you see and hear on this channel!"

I think the whole point of a review is getting misconstrued here. For me, a review isnt about whether or not you like or dislike a fragrance. It's not about bashing or praising anything in particular, but it's about finding out what the heck a scent smells like. I will include if I like something or not, but that's not my main focal point. For the most part, I try to describe what Im smelling and how long it lasts, ect.

My personal preference to particular scents has zero bearing on how I tackle a review. I only try to describe what Im smelling no matter which fragrance it is. If it's Eau Savauge or Kenzo Power, I will describe what Im smelling. Age has no factor in the review.

Reviews are also not about endorsing a certain fragrance. I think that's where ideas and thoughts are getting jumbled here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I think the whole point of a review is getting misconstrued here. For me, a review isnt about whether or not you like or dislike a fragrance. It's not about bashing or praising anything in particular, but it's about finding out what the heck a scent smells like. I will include if I like something or not, but that's not my main focal point. For the most part, I try to describe what Im smelling and how long it lasts, ect.

My personal preference to particular scents has zero bearing on how I tackle a review. I only try to describe what Im smelling no matter which fragrance it is. If it's Eau Savauge or Kenzo Power, I will describe what Im smelling. Age has no factor in the review.

Reviews are also not about endorsing a certain fragrance. I think that's where ideas and thoughts are getting jumbled here.
    Agreed and also hunting down popular scents to experience them yourself and let the word know your opinion. I review only to give my opinion and help out people like myself be able to possibly find a few they like and go smell them instead of going threw 100 scents at the store.

My personal preference to particular scents has zero bearing on how I tackle a review. I only try to describe what Im smelling no matter which fragrance it is.

I seem to recall at least 2 videos where you either threw up or had a vomit bucket handy. Also, facial expression or comments like "I hate this stuff" (Marc) will be taken into consideration as well.

Exactly Brad. Secretions Magnifique made me queasy. Experience it for yourself. I even put a disclaimer in the review, that that was the worst of my reviews. And isnt a good measure on how I conduct my channel.

Again, my personal opinion is not the focal point. Im sorry that you see it that way.

My personal preference to particular scents has zero bearing on how I tackle a review. I only try to describe what Im smelling no matter which fragrance it is.

I seem to recall at least 2 videos where you either threw up or had a vomit bucket handy. Also, facial expression or comments like "I hate this stuff" (Marc) will be taken into consideration as well.
    Honestly we can do whatever we want in our videos. If the scent smells bad like Secretions actually does(see my video) sorry but I will say how bad it is. I'm not going to sit there and say someone might like this scent. Honestly if you like SM then your rare and don't wear it around people. If I can have 40 ppl(which I did) smell and scent and they all gag or walk away then ITS SMELLS BAD. But honestly man I do my videos the way I want to do them not the way basenotes wants to see them. You can't do a video to everyones way they want it otherwise it would be 30 mins long.

Yeah, that's why I don't even call my videos "reviews". I usually say "discusses". I don't know if there is any discernable difference in wordage, but I just start by talking about notes and then try to describe how it smells to me and whether I like it or not. I also think one of the biggest favors a reviewer can do for the public is let them know if the scent is actually unique or just a generic clone of other stuff already on the market. Maybe a mention of where it falls on the unisex scale if necessary.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Word!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by 959lover View Post
    When you say time for less YouTube reviewers, that hurts. That cut real deep you know that? My hurt can only be remedied by warm fuzzy feelings that my designer fragrances can instill...
    Ashkan, my post is moreso a reaction to the vast amounts of mediocre reviews on YouTube. I apologize for my somewhat inconsiderate comment above. Once in a while, I make those. I take it that you are an online reviewer ?

Yes, every generation has their medium. But to be honest, YouTube has really irritated the heck outta me. It was cool for a few months when I could watch music videos and film clips....etc. But then, the whole everyone can be online/famous/act idiotic and the like has really annoyed me. Just part of the downward spiral of societies ( to me).

I do realize younger people use YouTube for fragrance reviews. But trust me, you can learn TONs more by reading. The reviews are far better and have a chance to be better as well. And how often can you stare at videos for ? A good balance is always needed.

I'm gonna be brief here, but I do disagree with your comment "...we all know it's a persons confidence that is the deciding factor of the wearability of a scent..." . Its more to do with alot of other factors, although feeling confident in a particular scent is very important.

Also, don't assume that more seasoned noses are older in age. A ton of guys on here are under 30 and have terrific knowledge.

While I disagree with you on alot of points, I do apologize for my comment above being rude.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I certainly think that Youtube is an important part of the fragrance review spectrum. For one thing, Youtube may be the only way to even reach certain folks. Many Youtube reviewers have done sample or even bottle giveaways on their channel with no financial compensation. On a final note, the comment board allows for some insightful discussions and specific questions to be asked of the reviewer, or even other subscribers. I do realize that their are plenty of Youtube channels that are complete buffoonery, but I don't think fragrance reviewers are looking to become the next Jim Carrey or anything. Just nice, goodhearted people trying to help others avoid the mistakes any fragrance buff is bound to make on his fragrance journey.

Youtube reviews are becoming annoying. There's no descriptions on the fragrances, and half of the people who do the reviews aren't aware of the notes so then they don't know they are trying to sniff out. It's really just a "cred" thing now. Shout outs, unboxing, hauls.

And if I heard L'eau D'issey being pronounced 'Lou Dee Is He' one more time I'm going to stab a knife through my head!

How did this thread evolve into a Youtube bashing forum? Just answer the simple question: Would it be cool for an old dude to have his own Youtube channel?

Youtube has it's place as far as reviewing fragrances are concerned. If you are new to the hobby, and you're looking for something new to try, there is something to be said about the genuine look of joy on a reviewers face as they review something they love. That can be hard to capture in a written review.

That being said, I wish the youtube reviewers would share their reviews in the review section on this board. Maybe three or four sentences summarizing their overall feelings of a particular scent followed by a link to their youtube video. That way it's a win-win for everyone. You might even get more views or subscribers...

Ashkan, my post is moreso a reaction to the vast amounts of mediocre reviews on YouTube. I apologize for my somewhat inconsiderate comment above. Once in a while, I make those. I take it that you are an online reviewer ?

Yes, every generation has their medium. But to be honest, YouTube has really irritated the heck outta me. It was cool for a few months when I could watch music videos and film clips....etc. But then, the whole everyone can be online/famous/act idiotic and the like has really annoyed me. Just part of the downward spiral of societies ( to me).
    Please, you'd have to penetrate my 68 layers of hair and fragrance residue to pierce my skin. Feelings=not hurt . I am a YouTube video maker as well and I understand what you are saying. I would be lying if I said I did not like having so many people interested in what I have to say so much that they subscribed to me and in that I feel like a douche. But after that brief period of douchery, I realize that not all things on YouTube are bad. Yes, it has given everyone with a camera, videocamera, or video editing software the ability to upload a video or slideshow and become famous overnight. Most of the time the videos are garbage yes, but sometimes there are gems. I remember one day I was just clicking on random videos and I stumbled upon the most wonderful original song. I'm not trying to justify the viewing of 1000 videos to find 1 good one, but that there are good recipes out there and some require more 'nuts' than others.

I do realize younger people use YouTube for fragrance reviews. But trust me, you can learn TONs more by reading. The reviews are far better and have a chance to be better as well. And how often can you stare at videos for ? A good balance is always needed.
    A good balance is needed but to your other statement it's really equal. One the one hand you have a text review that can potentially be as large as it needs to be but lacks the chance to make a tangible connection to, and on the other you have a limited length video review that can have as much emotion as one's heart desires. To your credit, some people are more connected to words they read than faces they listen to. What you are saying is SOOO subjective though, you must see that! Are you saying that you would tell a blind child that reading a book is more effective than being told the story? Or a deaf child that listening to someone's voice cues for emotion is as powerful as seeing their expressions? My point is that different people react differently to stimuli. You may enjoy and get more out of reading a review but I like seeing the face of the person telling me about the scent. Watch my FCUK - For Him review and I guarantee you I could write a review making you want to smell it. It doesn't matter if I make it out to be the best fragrance ever or the worst since you won't be seeing my face crying and me being sick the next day doing a supplemental video/update.

I'm gonna be brief here, but I do disagree with your comment "...we all know it's a persons confidence that is the deciding factor of the wearability of a scent..." . Its more to do with alot of other factors, although feeling confident in a particular scent is very important.

Also, don't assume that more seasoned noses are older in age. A ton of guys on here are under 30 and have terrific knowledge.

While I disagree with you on alot of points, I do apologize for my comment above being rude.
    Every fragrance I've ever smelled can be worn. What differentiates those who wear them with those that don't like them? Confidence and preference. If you like the scent and are confident wearing it, you'll wear it regardless of age, gender, marital status, weather, or even your partner's preference.

My reference to "'more seasoned' noses" wasn't at older people, but at basenotes members. Note where I put the quotes. I'm not saying I'm seasoned in the least, but at least I am not pretentious enough to call myself such. This isn't directed at anyone directly, just a general statement.

While I disagree with you on many points as well, I thank you for your time. I should have probably just done a video and you'd have been done listening a few minutes earlier. Plus, you would have initially known I was joking when talking about cutting deep and I wouldn't have wasted so much time trying to make my message sound politically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Youtube has it's place as far as reviewing fragrances are concerned. If you are new to the hobby, and you're looking for something new to try, there is something to be said about the genuine look of joy on a reviewers face as they review something they love. That can be hard to capture in a written review.
    I agree. Some would say emotion is lost when going to written word, but the fact of the matter is that the written word could be written in any style to portray emotion, to result in an outcome of the author's choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    That being said, I wish the youtube reviewers would share their reviews in the review section on this board. Maybe three or four sentences summarizing their overall feelings of a particular scent followed by a link to their youtube video. That way it's a win-win for everyone. You might even get more views or subscribers...
    I've started doing reviews of fragrances on their respective pages but since I'm not a basenotes supporter it takes a while to get processed.

Ashkan

Quote Originally Posted by BradW
    Talking about topic
    As to what your original topic was, if anyone has something interesting to say about anything they can do a video; They are not guaranteed to get any viewers though. In this particular case, I would personally subscribe to someone that did reviews if their material was interesting, informative, and fun to watch. If you're a stiff, I won't subscribe you plain and simple. If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen. It's not a popularity contest, it's an information hub. I don't want to spend my time watching boring/bad reviews much like how I avoid watching Jersey Shore. Now if there was some Top Gun pilot from the 80's (ala Tom Skerritt) doing videos about fragrance, I would subscribe his channel and watch every video he put out.
    Last edited by 959lover; 15th October 2010 at 07:14 AM.
    "You smell fantastic, what is that?"
    "It's diesel"
    "*nods* Wow, it's incredible"
    "No, you don't understand....it's diesel fuel"
    "Oh, okay, i'll buy that one then"

Are geezers able to run a webcam as a general rule? LoL/seriously. It would be great to see a silver hair with as much enthusiasm and energy as the under 35 set.

I get as much enjoyment out of the YouTubists as I do going to the Perfume House in Portland and one cannot question the skill of the nose found in that establishment.

I disagree with the "they dont seem very helpful" comment made in the OP. Perhaps the types of fragrances being reviewed by most Youtube reviewers(mostly designer or more modern fragrances) do not appeal to him, so maybe that's why the comment was made but they do appeal to me so they have helped me out greatly. Likewise, if someone started a channel reviewing older, more mature fragrances it probably wouldn't be very helpful to me personally, but I'm not going to say it won't help others out(I'd still watch the channel though).

I do agree though it would be kind of nice to have a Youtube guy doing reviews mostly on older, classic fragrances. I personally can't stand alot of these older fragrances(Grey Flannel, Guerlain Vetiver, RL Polo, etc...) but occasionally I will find one that I really enjoy and is wearable. I love Hermes D'Orange Verte and would LOVE to see someone review the Concentree version of it. I do appreciate some of the reviewers who mix classics in with the modern stuff as well.
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

Check out tswetcoff. He does a good job reviewing. CutlassSupremeSL is another one that is good. They're not older guys, but they're not teens either. If both of these guys like a frag, chances are it is a good one.

I would like to see reviews by someone older than 40+. It would provide an interesting perspective. The younger guys don't offer opinions on what scents to wear when golfing, or going to the martini bar, or dinner at a $100 a plate steak house. The younger guys review what works at the sports bar, or night club, or school. What works at a sports bar may not work at a martini bar.

In all honesty, would not mind if a Youtube review series about fragrance classics appeared or at least with greater emphasis on this fragrance category (maybe including timeless frags like ADP Colonia, the original 1709 EdC by Farina Gegenuber, Knize Ten, Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, Floris No. 89, L' Huere Bleue, Eau Imperiale, Creed REL and many more), irrespective if hosted by a geezer or not