Code of Conduct

Default Do you ever think of the possibility of getting allergic against perfume?

There's always a potential risk to develop allergy against perfumes or any other thing that is common to make allergic reactions. Do you ever think of this? If you would get perfume allergy in the future, would you quit your hobby or would still continue knowing that you will suffer from different kinds of sympotoms that comes with allergy?

Maybe it's a stupid question but it seems like most of the people here on Basenotes, myself for instance, are so attached to this hobby and got huge collections of fragrances that it probably would make one totally devastated if one would get perfume allergy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you ever think of the possibility of getting allergic against perfume?

Define "allergy"...

Seriously though, I am personally not the least bit concerned. Reactions from skin contact is always a possibility (in which case I can spray on fabric only), but I don't believe that I will ever suffer from any respiratory distress because of fragrances.

Default Re: Do you ever think of the possibility of getting allergic against perfume?

Having had hayfever as a child AND having sensitive skin, scents oddly enough never bothered me then, and don't bother or irritate me now. So I'm not worried in the least.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Definition: An abnormal immune reaction to naturally occurring protein substances (allergens).

Post Thanks / Like

Strange or not, when I was a child, I occasionally had bad headaches from almost any fragrance, yet as a teen and a young adult this health problem did not ever resurface again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    Definition: An abnormal immune reaction to naturally occurring protein substances (allergens).
    Yes, well, I was making more of a rhetorical request up there, alluding to the fact that a lot of people use "allergy" and "allergic" in a really sloppy way. But you seem to know what an allergy actually is.

DeepSilence

One time my skin crushed because of fragrance. Cost of that disease was about 10$ for me. And 2 months continuous using some creams. I will not quit.

I definitely used to have a bad reaction to initially my mothers hairspray and then the Rive Gauche she used to wear.I then myself was unable to wear scent for about 10 years,gave it a try about two years ago and now seem to be fine.Symptoms were much like hayfever.It does occur and have seen it in my patients--not common though.Occasionally still get a sniffle with mainly Creeds funnily enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone become allergic to cookies? No. To a specific ingredient found in some cookies, peanuts for example? Yes. And there are ingredients which are very common to those confections we collectively call "cookies," such as gluten found in most flour.

So, can one become physically allergic to ALL perfume? Not likely.

To a specific ingredient in perfumes? Maybe.

And is there an ingredient in perfumes as pervasive as gluten in cookies? Yes, those would be water and SD40 alcohol. Fortunately, an allergy to water is unheard of. And an alergy to SD40 is also virtually unheard of. And since SD40 alcohol evaporates within a minute of applying a perfume, this would be a contact allergy affecting the wearer, not someone smelling that person even a few minutes after application.

And, while both water and SD40 are common in perfume, just as there are gluten-free cookies if you look for them, there are also of course, perfumes which cotain no alcohol or water.

So, a physical allergy to perfume in general is virtually impossible.

Some people confuse allergies to plants with perfume allergies since many perfume notes are plant-inspired, floral notes, spices, herbs, resins, oils, etc. But most inhalation plant allergies are to pollen. While plants often use scents to lure pollenating insects, the scent is not usually the pollen but a separate chemical or chemicals. When the fragrance chemicals are extracted from plants, the extraction process is so through that no pollen will remain in the extract. Also, many perfumes don't use the actual plant-extracts to obtain plant-inspired scent notes in perfumes. So, if a person is allergic to rose pollen, for example, they will most-likely not be physically allergic to the scent of roses and, even if they are, they will not be physically allergic to all perfumes with a rose note.

So, the conclusion is that given the diversity of perfumes, a general physical allergy to perfumes in general is unlikely.

Many

Post Thanks / Like

I think previously I've mentioned it: I really love Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque, but each time I gave full wearing, it caused such a serious eye-reddening and burning, that I can't try it anymore. And alas, no question, it IS FT. I don't know which component in it is responsible, though.

Post Thanks / Like

An allergy to one perfume or ingredient does not mean you would be allergic to all perfumes.

Sensitivity can always occur once someone is exposed to it. It's a simple medical fact, sad to say.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Have never had an "allergy" or sensitivity to any fragrance I've bought or smelled.

I have an allergy that is triggered by change of seasons and also artificial air (if I stay in an enclosed space without a window open it goes crazy). Though I doubt of all things I'll develop a perfume energy, many of my family members wore a lot of perfume since I was a child. Ah, I hope not...considering I have a nasty breathing system allergy already

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've had a couple that have made me queasy or given me the sneezes....in fact I'm wearing one today, that has in the past. So far, so good.

I think allergies can come and go with people....for instance I used to have bad allergies with cats, but now the one or two I come into contact with regualrly rarely bother me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Really good question, I've always been a pushover when it comes to strong smells I also have hay fever and sneeze away with just a little pet dander.....ugh....I hate that!!

The only cologne that has given me a headache so far, I believe, is Wild Country by Avon and after an hour of Creed's Imperial Millesime I had to wash some off.