Code of Conduct

Smile Creed Bois du Portugal or PdN New York?

Which one is better and why?

And while it's difficult to take price out of the conversation, at least try to evaluate the fragrances alone.

Does a wardrobe warrant both?

Have a great day!

Default Re: Creed Bois du Portugal or PdN New York?

I'm pretty sure there was another thread with exactly the same title. Looking forward to the replies none the less.

PdN New York by a 'nose.'

I like BdP much better. In my initial review of New York, there was something too "old man" that doesn't come through as much in BdP, though I know some label it the same. There was this "dirty citrus" that I really didn't enjoy in the initial blast of New York and it has kept me away. The drydown was pleasant enough.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I opt for New York - it has an under-stated old school feel that I find very comfortable - it feels like a classic.

I have a small bottle of Bdp but it just feels a bit pushy - purely subjective - I can see why some might prefer it.

I own and like them both, they are quality scents. I always found them to be alike, but for the first time I have sprayed one on each wrist and find that they are quite different.

Result. BdP has a sort of almost boozy rich orange scent in the opening, then settles down to an almost polish like scent. One hour in now, and it's going strong, with a slight powdery smell.

New York started out with more of a spice vibe than a fruit one, and frankly hasn't evolved so much and smells "thinner".

Damn, just sniffed again, it's easy to forget just how great BdP is.

It's BdP for me. Man, it is good stuff.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

I have both and want to vote but I can't. I seem to have some sort of anosmia to sandalwood, and so both seem to go nowhere on me.

I like the opening of BdP better.

Thanks for your responses so far.

Shall we throw Guerlain Heritage into the conversation as well, or does that reach too far?

bdp is my fav so you have to get that, I feel it can be used for work, nice formal settings, the best wood frag i have smelled. It has this very masculine, sophisticated but dangerous vibe to it. This fragrance should be worn by James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
    I'm pretty sure there was another thread with exactly the same title. Looking forward to the replies none the less.
    Lots of threads on this. And lots of opinions. I liked BdP better, but I would say that one could like/love both/either.

New York

Tough choice. Have and like both, but I'll go with Bois de Portugal.

Easy choice: I've never managed New York longer than 15 minutes without scrubbing it. BdP is one of my favorites.

These great woody orientals each have their place in a man's collection, and you'll never confuse one for the other. I own and love both.

The primary difference to me is that Bois du Portugal is more formal, more austere. It goes great with a suit, and it's my first choice for important business meetings and romantic dates when I want to impress. Alpha male all the way, but a refined alpha male in the style of Frank Sinatra and Paul Newman, two celebrities who wore Bois du Portugal.

De Nicolai's New York is more affable, more of an every day scent (though mainly in autumn and winter). The citrus shines brighter and there's a strong leather accord. Equally delightful in its own way.

-----
    Creed Bois du Portugal Bottle Split
    For sale: Fendi Theorema Uomo, Tommy Hilfiger Athletics
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/262...IGER-Athletics

I sampled BdP yesterday, for the first time in a long time. That led me to sample Stetson again, for the first time in over a year. I won't go into a detailed comparison. Suffice it to say that BdP is more refined. However, these kinds of frags just don't have enough dynamism for me. I actually prefer Realm for Men above them all. Despite it's less refined quality, it does have some dynamism, which allows me to appreciate it for more than half an hour or so. I like NY the least, actually, due to the notes, not the quality, but it too lacks enough dynamism for me.

Easy choice for me. Skin chemistry decided.

I wanted to like New York but all three times I´ve used it in full wearings it turned sour after a couple of hours. BdP on the other hand never disappoints me.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

I'll +1 to ask how Heritage falls into the mix...?
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I prefer New York. BdP is fine though. I have them both, but New York is much better as far as I'm concerned. Heritage is a wonderful scent, but smells much different from the other two. BDP and NY have much more in common with each other than Heritage does IMO.

New York for this man, the Creed is fine but is less enjoyable and rewarding for me.

I haven't reevaluated the rankings of my favorite fragrances in quite a while (Results of my Top Five Week) but New York and Heritage are both still in my Top Ten. Bois du Portugal is safely in my Top Twenty (95th+ percentile).

Looking at my list now, I would move Derby back into the list of fragrances 'in production' but otherwise wouldn't change much.

Take care my friends!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

New York

I have both and wear each probably once a week. They are distinctly different on me, and, if budget allows, try to make room for them both. If forced to choose just one, Bois du Portugal would win out. But, I'd really miss the PdN.

I like both, but My favourite of the two are New York. It`s more classy and pleasant than BDP. I like BDP also, but I always feel to young to wear it, even though I`m 37!
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 6th April 2011 at 08:18 AM.

New York by a country mile, I prefer its drydown to BdP.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Recently I did four days of zino, heritage, new york and BDP which all seem to me to be from a similar idea.
    To my great suprise, I liked zino and NY best.
    Of the two in question:
    BdP is a rougher, more rustic composition with a sharp, acerbic, woody lavender note up front and fewer less complex accords but some very good ingredients and a good smelling directness about it. The drydown is wonderful. It retains a folksy natural feel for me.
    NY is smoother, more seamless, complex and urban though not so smooth as to lose that masculine (metro) edge. It has excellent "practical" or "technical" qualities (i.e. great longevity, excellent sillage - not too loud or soft, nice development) and is a little more edible (pastry-geurlain-like) than BDP.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 20th November 2010 at 10:57 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Loved both BdP and NY (and Heritage) but decided to sell my PdN NY. I prefer BdP for what Hirch described perfectly as a "rougher, more rustic composition". Its complexity seems to blow New York out of the water and keeps me interested in the notes that appear as it dries down. The quality of the amazing blend of woods and lavender... whatever it is about BdP that makes it magic every time I wear it has kept me wearing it regularly for 3 years, and well into the future I hope!

Regarding Heritage, the EdT version (possibly the vintage?) seems to share some similarities with BdP I've known and loved. The EdP - not at all. I'll wear Heritage and BdP but when it comes to PdN New York I'll respectfully pass.

I wore NY today. I liked it better than the sample of BDP I recently wore. My wife likes NY on me, too. I wore three spays, and that's probably one too many.

I like all three of them - but BdP is probably my least favorite. I agree with TwoRoads, Derby belongs in this discussion as well. Derby is a bit more herbal and has a medicinal tang which I like quite a bit.

Another interesting point, which I've made on several other threads in the past... Caron's Alpona extrait smells to me exactly like what you would expect an extrait version of PdN New York to smell like.

Teddius

I have both scents and do not find them that close. I like them both. BdP is more formal; whereas, PdN can be worn universally.
    My Top Fragrances:
    Hermes: Terre d"Hermes
    Dior: Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent: La Nuit de L'homme
    Burberry: London
    Gucci: Pour Homme
    Rochas: Man
    Azzaro: Pour Homme

Wanted:
    L'Artisan: Fou d'Absinthe; Cristiano Fissore: Cashmere for Men; Parfums d'Nicolai: New York; Divine: L'homme Sage; Montale: Black Aoud; Tauer: L'air du desert Marocain.

New York is more versatile, and suits my age (37) better than BDP. BDP is a great scent though.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I like BDP also, but I always feel to young to wear it, even though I`m 37!
    Well, I know what you mean. I considered selling my bottle because I just never seem to find an appropriate time to wear it but when I spray it on just to see if I really want to sell it, it smells so great that I want to keep it. I guess it will stay this way for the next 20 years or so. But that day will come and it will shine!

BDP=perfectly balanced and blended

+1 for New York

BdP. New York I didn't like as much. There was a dirty citrus in the opening that I didn't enjoy. BdP is great though I admit I rarely use my decant I have had for months...only special times.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 6th April 2011 at 02:30 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Bois du Portugal. I've only sampled New York, but it didn't make much of an impression. I've never heard anybody make that statement about Bois du Portugal.

Which one do you think is more suited for summer?
    Last edited by sailim; 22nd April 2011 at 04:49 PM.