Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Penhaligon's Sartorial - first wearing and review

Tried this yesterday, does have an old school, traditional EDC, tonic feel to it (which is fine by me.) I like it alot, but already have too many lavender based fougeres but will it put it through my standard 4-5 wears before making a final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Tried this yesterday, does have an old school, traditional EDC, tonic feel to it (which is fine by me.) I like it alot, but already have too many lavender based fougeres but will it put it through my standard 4-5 wears before making a final decision.
    Less eager to try it now.

Sartorial is truly worth the full bottle! The scent is a metallic top note, which quickly disappears into a "barbershop" vibe.

The scent goes into a very pleasant fougere with a leather and vanilla base. I has Old School charm. Some BNers dislike this, while it's a draw for others. Longevity on me is very good with moderate sillage.

I don't get the hype of a cutting room of a bespoke tailor, but this is nice! I recommend this to all for a try.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yes, you have to try it several times. I have tested it over some days now. Sartorial on the left arm, and Opus 1870 on the other. I must say this is ultra-British-elegant stuff! I love those kind of fragrances. Couldn`t decide which of them, so I order both!

I just read a review of this wonderful scent on Scented Salamander. I laughed out loud at this description of the progression of notes:

"Past this nod to the very powdery, slightly sluttish fougère genre for closeted womanly dandies."

ROTFL!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I haven't tried it. It's been awhile since Penhaligon's used high quality ingredients. It's doubtful they even have access to them anymore, or would spend the money for them if they did. I still look forward to smelling it.

This review fits with what I would expect from the fragrance.

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...fragrance.html
    Last edited by pluran; 7th November 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I just read a review of this wonderful scent on Scented Salamander. I laughed out loud at this description of the progression of notes:

"Past this nod to the very powdery, slightly sluttish fougère genre for closeted womanly dandies."

ROTFL!
    Brut & Canoe are 'womanly dandies' ? Bullshit or I'm slightly gay one - NAW I'm callin bullshit.

Jeez these people are into mental masturbation.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I haven't tried it. It's been awhile since Penhaligon's used high quality ingredients. It's doubtful they even have access to them anymore, or would spend the money for them if they did. I still look forward to smelling it.

Wow, that is a stinging review.

I think it's an AMAZING fragrance. The drydown (which lasts damn near 24 hours) is absolutely great. Unfortunately, it definitely calls to mind powdery classics of yore, namely Old Spice, and as a young-looking 23 year old, I can't imagine this meshing with my style. It's beautiful though.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Wow, that is a stinging review.
    Especially for one in which he declares the fragrance to be "a beautiful perfume"!

I agree - Sartorial is an excellent fragrance, and it's a lot like many excellent fragrances that have gone before. Where I depart from Octavian is in my belief that Sartorial is different enough to be a worthy effort. I'm pretty sick of older fougeres - yet I find Sartorial very, very appealing. A nice blend of classic and current effects. I didn't find it dated in the least. Kevin of NST called it "square", and I agree - hipply so.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Especially for one in which he declares the fragrance to be "a beautiful perfume"!

I agree - Sartorial is an excellent fragrance, and it's a lot like many excellent fragrances that have gone before. Where I depart from Octavian is in my belief that Sartorial is different enough to be a worthy effort. I'm pretty sick of older fougeres - yet I find Sartorial very, very appealing. A nice blend of classic and current effects. I didn't find it dated in the least. Kevin of NST called it "square", and I agree - hipply so.
    Sartorial is certainly cheaper than Fougere Royale.

I do agree that it initially smells very familiar in the top notes--and it does have a lot of notes.

As the scent progresses, other notes like the leather and vanilla emerge. I would venture to call this unisex in the way Grey Flannel can be used by men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    On a separate note, Opus 1870 is beautiful, but it just doesn't last or project the way I would like it to. Same with Endymion which is a fantastic fragrance. I've been pushing to persuade them to produce an EDP of it, because to my nose it warrants it. Extract of Limes is a great fragrance, very creamy in its composition resulting in a really smooth and rich drydown. I prefer it to the Trumpers equivalent.
    Now after you have used Sartorial for a while, how would you describe the sillage and longevity? (only tried it from a sample My bottle hasn`t arrived yet!)

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Now after you have used Sartorial for a while, how would you describe the sillage and longevity? (only tried it from a sample My bottle hasn`t arrived yet!)
    I've been wearing it on and off for a few weeks now. Sillage and longevity are excellent on it. Sillage in the first couple of hours is quite strong, reducing to still being noticable from a few feet a way after that until being very much present several hours later. I can get pretty much a full day's wear out of it - a full working day that is. So if I leave for work before nine with a fairly liberal application, I will still be able to smell it on me when I get home in the early evening.

The other thing I'd mention is that it is one fragrance my gf actively requests that I wear as she likes it that much.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

In feel, it reminds me of Creed VT.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH
    Less eager to try it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

Never going to pay to test it now. Had high hopes, but it's now certain it's got zero % chance of being bottle worthy. Too bad, as given the notes, I never expected an older Rive Gauche type fragrance. Maybe I'll eventually test it at Truefitt & Hill's barbershop on Michigan Ave....just to be 200% sure Maitres Tailleurs still reigns supreme among the sartorial/tailor fragrances.

Is it really barbershop and powdert?

I've been wearing it on and off for a few weeks now. Sillage and longevity are excellent on it. Sillage in the first couple of hours is quite strong, reducing to still being noticable from a few feet a way after that until being very much present several hours later. I can get pretty much a full day's wear out of it - a full working day that is. So if I leave for work before nine with a fairly liberal application, I will still be able to smell it on me when I get home in the early evening.

The other thing I'd mention is that it is one fragrance my gf actively requests that I wear as she likes it that much.
    Sartorial does have long wear and good sillage, but settles down. i agree that it does have staying power without having to reapply in the afternoon.

The top notes are indeed "barber-shoppy," but that is only part of the picture. The leather and vanilla in the drydown are the best part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Never going to pay to test it now. Had high hopes, but it's now certain it's got zero % chance of being bottle worthy. Too bad, as given the notes, I never expected an older Rive Gauche type fragrance. Maybe I'll eventually test it at Truefitt & Hill's barbershop on Michigan Ave....just to be 200% sure Maitres Tailleurs still reigns supreme among the sartorial/tailor fragrances.
    I think to dismiss this from the description of being a traditional barbershop fougere would be to do it an injustice. I've had long discussions with people who work at Penhaligon's who themselves question whether this belongs truly in the fougere category at all. It does have some lavender, even a little violet leaf, but really overall it's an oriental in feel more than a true fougere. I would also hesitate to say it was traditional barbershop. A sartorial tailor fragrance yes, but barbershop? Not really. I would doff my cap in the direction of TOBS or Trumpers for the true traditional barbership frags, Sartorial is way too complex to be so simply pigeon-holed.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I think to dismiss this from the description of being a traditional barbershop fougere would be to do it an injustice. I've had long discussions with people who work at Penhaligon's who themselves question whether this belongs truly in the fougere category at all. It does have some lavender, even a little violet leaf, but really overall it's an oriental in feel more than a true fougere. I would also hesitate to say it was traditional barbershop. A sartorial tailor fragrance yes, but barbershop? Not really. I would doff my cap in the direction of TOBS or Trumpers for the true traditional barbership frags, Sartorial is way too complex to be so simply pigeon-holed.
    HDS1963, I agree. I said the TOP notes are barbershoppy. The rest is more subtle, and it does not scream lavender.

Blog Entries

HDS1963, I agree. I said the TOP notes are barbershoppy. The rest is more subtle, and it does not scream lavender.
    Definitely. I'm getting way, way more lavender out of the new Bond than this. To me, lavender is only a minor player here. And it strikes me as a much more modern fougère than RGPH, et al. The fougère accord seems more like the more recent "mineral fougeres". I would not write off FBW without a good wear, DULLAH. I'm not in the market for old "fougies" - but I am for this.

Yes, I saw that Primrose and agree with you, it has one of the most smoothly blended lavender notes I have encountered. Lavender seems difficult for many perfumers to get to play a supporting cast role in a fragrance without pushing to the front too much, however, in Sartorial you are aware of its presence without it distracting from other accords at work.

Yes, I saw that Primrose and agree with you, it has one of the most smoothly blended lavender notes I have encountered. Lavender seems difficult for many perfumers to get to play a supporting cast role in a fragrance without pushing to the front too much, however, in Sartorial you are aware of its presence without it distracting from other accords at work.
    HDS, oh, I totally agree.

I truly enjoy Sartorial for its blending. Nothing is shouting out from the notes.

I am thinking of some favourites of mine--Arome Trois (yes, I know he was not a perfumer), Pour Un Homme, and Mouchoir de Monsieur--in which lavender is very prominent.

Sartorial is nothing like those at all. Very complex. I enjoy the vanilla and leather a great deal.

Look at the list of 24 notes in the archives:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26131749.html

Bought a bottle of this based on HDS review alone , and I´m glad I did.The description was very good. I love Rive Gauche and I don´t have this aversion against barbershop smells, so for me the risk was reduced to a minimum.Bertrand Duchafour isn´t always a hit for me, so that was the risk I took (a little one)
    The review on 1000 fragrances doesn´t do it justice at all i.m.o.,so that sucked big time.It´s so much better that that.

Wearing this for two days now and at first I could see the comparisons with Rive Gauche. L´Artisans Fou d´Absinthe also came to mind for a sec.,but that soon dissapeared after a few minutes.
    It starts out like a fougere type fragrance but leaves a warm, amber oriental type, drydown on your skin.
    Last edited by eric; 9th November 2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling

I am so wanting to test this. Also Halston Amber man. Rive Gauche is too creamy on me but this may work. Anyone wanna swap a small sample of this for a sample of two other Penhaligons I got.

Blog Entries

I ordered a sample from Luckyscent, curious if it would remind me of my father's tailor shop. It doesn't, but its solid, soapy manliness is very pleasant. I never would have guessed at the complexity of the fragrance notes. It fits together very smoothly.

My husband, unfortunately, is not enamored of it (yet), and I would not want to wear it myself.

I finally got a chance to sniff Sartorial at Aedes today. I met up with Sommerville Metro Man last week and he urged me to try it. Earlier today I was in mid-town and popped into 42nd Street Perfumery - one of those old school, discounted classics shops - and primed my nose with a sampling of Drakkar Noir. I then took the subway downtown, to the village, and sprayed on Mr. Duchafour's creation. When all is said and done, Sartorial is a post-modern aromatic fougere. Very much indebted to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, that honey/beeswax note is there in spades. The big difference is Sartorial's dry-cleaner chemical opening, which I really find unnecessary. Beautiful, well made, but is this classic fougere dry-down worth reviving? I'm not so sure. Now I'm going to read Octavian's review.

just got this and alas... its not for me

another bottle to the classifieds...

I wore my sample of Sartorial. I do see the metallic note in it, but it is not sharp or say edgy, but nice. I do not get lavender, and I do not get powder. Now some have said at basenotes it is one of the best new releases of 2010 and I can see that. It is not like anything I smell at Macys and, well, nothing ever really. To me, it is very office appropriate. It does not scream when you put it on, and you could meet with people 10 minutes after you put it on. To me, that is a drawback. I spend $110 on 100ml, I want to smell me!!! Well crafted and nice.

Alas, I am not inspired by it. Maybe like a poster above, I might change when I wear it a second time, and drats, with those little 1ml samples, I get a wearing and then half a wearing. I wore Le Labo Patchouli and commented that I get a cinnamon/clove vibe over a background of a leather glove, and over the first 30 minutes, it seemed to warm up. I did not care for it, maybe because the name is nothing like the scent - would have been better to call it Le Labo Misnomer and I might have liked it. Sartorial is something that I don't think will evoke strong feelings of love or hate, but a lot of "it's nice" or "it's ok". Le Labo therefore is more interesting.

I'll keep an open mind. To give you an idea, when I try a scent, I like to wear it, and then like to have a little applied to the back of each hand. Usually within the first hour, it is still pronounced and has a certain aura. Sartorial is more of a skin scent as I have to dig my nose into my hand to smell it. It is nice when I smell it, so right now, an hour into it, I will say it has low to medium silage. Maybe an eau de parfum would help in that regard.

edit: I would say that after 6 hours, it still had low to medium silage, but it was not long lived on me. The Le Labo easily out powered it. I do not get barbershop connotations when I wore it. Just goes to show you skin chemistry is everything. I will say that people are right, this aint you daddy's Penhaligons. And I liked it better than anything I find at Macys. If you are looking for a nice new addition, yea, grab a bottle. If you are looking for your holy grail, it was not that sort of scent for me. I would have liked for it to be, but it was not
    Last edited by finsfan; 3rd December 2010 at 01:58 AM.

I have been looking for an updated, modern Brut for a long time. Sartorial, which by the way I just got my full bottle from Luckyscent fills the bill. I am sooooooooooo oversimplifying by saying an updated modern Brut. What I mean by that is that old school 1970's fougere charm- but modernized in a totally good way. I really like it.

I had the chance to try it in Dublin last Saturday on skin and on paper, too. The paperstrip -after more than five days- has still strongly the smell, so longevity is excellent. I find it a very smooth barbershop scent, I think the smoothest I've ever experienced. Actually, I find it bottle-worthy, a very well blended gentlemanly scent, full of class and charisma. Highly recommended.

I decided to keep this and not sell, and glad I did!

So far I’ve been reading 3 different types of ways people interpret this sent

1 – soapy/barbershop
    2 – modern brut/old school gentlemanly
    3 – fresh steamed press garments

And you know what, I get all 3 of them!

This fragrances has so many facets. The beginning is a bit ‘gentlemanly’ for me, initially off putting (I’m 26). But it quickly settles down into (how I mostly interpret this fragrance) a freshly, hot ironed starchy dress shirt. I get the whole ‘tailors workshop’ thing the whole way. A mild sweetness similar to Prada Amber as well, though its coming from the beeswax/vinilla, but shares the soapy/clean vibe of Prada Amber.

While it can be pulled off with casual wear, I mostly see myself dressing business casual, or a full on suit & tie wearing this. Nice formal scent for a younger guy.

Great fragrance.

I even venture to call Sartorial a unisex scent. It's not all that "overly white white floral," as many women's scents, and has a wonderful vanilla leather that is subtle and refined.

Many of these so-called dandy scents (such as the Arsene Lupin Le Dandy with its violets) easily pull off this gender-bending.

Sartorial and Guerlain Le Dandy are bottle-worthy.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...Sartorial.html

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post

1 – soapy/barbershop

This fragrances has so many facets. The beginning is a bit ‘gentlemanly’ for me, initially off putting (I’m 26). But it quickly settles down into (how I mostly interpret this fragrance) a freshly, hot ironed starchy dress shirt. I get the whole ‘tailors workshop’ thing the whole way. A mild sweetness similar to Prada Amber as well, though its coming from the beeswax/vinilla, but shares the soapy/clean vibe of Prada Amber.

While it can be pulled off with casual wear, I mostly see myself dressing business casual, or a full on suit & tie wearing this. Nice formal scent for a younger guy.

Great fragrance.
    This is basically exactly how I read the fragrance, too. It's really nice, and I'm definitely considering a bottle. Finally, Duchaufour puts out something with a bold character that isn't over-blended.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution

I was slightly underwhelmed by this, when I smelled it at Aedes last week. Of course, like all Duchaufour scents, I need to smell this many more times before I comment more.

Does anyone know where I can order a sample in the US?

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 5th January 2011 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks. Luckyscent has samples now

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post

1 – soapy/barbershop

Great fragrance.
    Good take on it. One of the reasons I rate it so highly is how versatile it is, it's evolution is beautiful, longevity excellent and sillage just right.

It's also my most complimented fragrance of the year.

For these and other reasons, this is unquestionably my fragrance of the year.

I am in love with Endymion and Egoiste. Would I like Sartorial do you think?

ACYYC

never know till you try! ^^

get a sample

Quote Originally Posted by ACYYC View Post

ACYYC
    It has not much common -if at all- with either of these, so I can't answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ACYYC View Post

ACYYC
    You'd have to sample. There's nothing about it that is similar to either of those. I wore it yesterday and it seems to grow on me exponentially every time I wear it.

It is a classic and somewhat dressier scent. Some might assert it's on the mature side. Not an "old man" smell, but def not a going to the club kind of scent.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    You'd have to sample. There's nothing about it that is similar to either of those. I wore it yesterday and it seems to grow on me exponentially every time I wear it.

It is a classic and somewhat dressier scent. Some might assert it's on the mature side. Not an "old man" smell, but def not a going to the club kind of scent.
    You're right! In fact, with today's wearing, I finally "get it." Sartorial finally clicked with me as I knew it would. Went from "?" to love in 4 wearings. I think that's mainly because it wasn't what i expected at first. I think I was expecting straight up barbershop, but it's made up of so much more. Beautiful stuff!

Sur la Plage

I finally got around to sampling this. It is OK, but nothing special or warrants be added to my wardrobe. Pass.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I tried a sample of this on Misterben yesterday - we are both fragrance novices - and he said it reminded him of a very classy version of what his grandfather would have worn, and he said that was a good thing. I really liked it on him but it smelled so gentlemanly that I couldn't imagine wearing it myself. I found it fascinating, but not in a sexy way - it made me want to do something old fashioned with him like go out waltzing. This would be great for guys who are into the steampunk scene.

Based on reviews here I made an informed blind purchase from luckyscents.com this week. After one wearing, while I don't find Sartorial offensive, it just didn't much appeal to me. I was a bit surprised but that is how it is. Into the resale bin it goes!

martin

A British dandy fragrance, I've owned it since January, when I bought it on a whim, on a forced layover in Minneapolis. All flights were abruptly canceled. When the going gets tough, the tough go fragrance shopping, of course. I found Sartorial at La Petite Perfumerie on the west side of town, a fantastic fragrance boutique, certainly worth the unexpected layover.

I wore it to opening day at the ballpark today, probably my 20th wearing, and damn it is fine, fine stuff. Three short sprays this morning, still going strong at 7 p.m., after beer, barbeque smoke, etc. Highly recommended. A very good value for the cash.

Basenotes Institution

I really want to give this a thorough wearing. Every time I see it (I've seen it twice at Aedes) I am coated in other fragrances, and I have no more skin left. I smelled it on a tester strip and liked it but I need to smell this on my skin.

I'm such a Duchaufour fan boy, but then again there are some of his more recent releases (Traversee du Bosphere) that I do not like.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I think this is a "love it" or "hate it" scent. It's a true traditional fougere, and some may not like this.

I am revisiting Sartorial and learning to enjoy this again. I wore my old Grey Flannel and yearned for something "Old School."

I found Sartorial had an "old" vibe but also modern notes. Very complex scent.

Didn't particularly care for this one.

I bought this one blind on ebay, and am quite satisfied with it.

There are a couple of notes that really stand out for me: linden (in the mid development) and beeswax, which lend the fragrance a lot of warmth.

The drydown is very earthy, woody, and patchouli. I am not a particular patchouli fan, but really like this.

If there is any beef with the fragrance, it is that it lacks a bit of clarity, there are a lot of notes in the pyramid, not all of which contribute noticeably to the effect. On the plus side, I really like the blend throughout the development. A comfortable and classy fougére. 4 stars.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

tried this several months back. totally vanished within an hour. will try again soon

After reading this fantastic review I couldn't help myself and ordered a bottle of Satorial. I'm looking forward to it and will let you know my thoughts.

K.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be fair to say that I have been waiting for this one all year ...

This is a modern classic in the making.
    'Don't agree. The first time I sampled it it was weird, unknown, high hopes due to unrevealed secrets still to be discovered. Much like my first utterly aroused visit to a - for my understanding back then - REAL chemical lab. Promising materials never treated by mankind before, a godlike freedom to alter the world was in sight.

Then after about 20 minutes it all broke down to woody. Second wearing reveals citrus, tobacco, whiskey and eventually some verry good haystack aromas, by far not the sweety vegetarian shishi as in Dzing.

Technically it may be good and even worth the price far out of reach for regular Joe. But I don't like it too much. It's a good one, guys!

Bump

I have got a sample of this and thought I would add my take of this scent to this excellent thread on the fragrance.

This opens up with the smell of a steam iron going across a shirt then the lavender and violet creep in to add dimension.

As time goes by your nose is hit by many different notes all trying to catch your attention at the same time. I can smell neroli,woods, beeswax along with the starched shirt accord.

This fragrance is complex and unequal and I have not smelled another fragrance like it. As time goes by it gets a little more sweeter with the tonka bean and amber showing up amongst the many notes.

As the fragrance drysdown it cannot seem to hang on to the captivating opening accord and becomes like many other fragrances with a sweet woody base. Thumbs up though.

Also as it drysdown it reminds me of Invasion Barebare.

Just got my nose on this one. Im about ten minutes in, and Im VERY impressed.

Wearing today for the first time. It is a very elegant cologne. First sprays remind me of Canoe, then it goes down the Rive Gauche path. I needed a scent like this in my wardrobe, it really fills a gap for me. I believe my wife will love it, and I'm so glad I paid the $67 to pick this up used on the sales board. Money very well spent. I wear suits 4 days per week, and this is just so very "suitable". This is a fine, fine scent gentlemen. Ignore it at your peril.

I wear Penhaligons Sartorial Moustache Wax on my ridiculous handlebar 'tache.

Smells exactly like the fragrance in its dry-down phase.

Very nice, quite unique stuff.