Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Penhaligon's Sartorial - first wearing and review

I just ordered a sample of this at Luckyscent and I cant wait to see what this is like. great review!

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Come on LA - how're you gonna leave us hanging like that - what's it like, whadda YOU think.
    Sorry SoGent, I'm not good with brief in-store tests. At the time, it was just coincidence that the SA at Scent Bar had recently been to London and been given a 1ml test vial. The official Lucky Scent tester bottle was not in yet. As such, it was a little smear on a test strip, and I'm not very good an analyzing from that.

What I smelled, I liked. A lot. I picked up some of the beeswax for sure and it worked for me. Very warm. It was a distinguished and manly smell, but didn't seem to have the usual sort of Penhaligons signature. As the Lucky Scent write up states- it is NOT an aquatic. I believe they threw that into their copy because of the "ozonic note" reference that seems to have spooked some people into thinking this is Pens entry into aquatics.

It's got a ton of notes and I know Duchafour is maestro, but that kind of range spooks me sometimes. Based on what I smelled, I'd probably buy it.

Drive by Scent Bar everyday, so when they have it, I'll pop in and give it a better test. Those kinds of "suit and tie" scents are a weakness of mine.

I love beeswax in scents. I think the best use of beeswax in a perfume is Tom Fords Moss Breches. The way he mixed the green notes with t hat buttery beeswax was very impressive. I love it. Cant wait to see how this one works out.

Thanks for the beautifully written review. I look forward to sampling this fragrance!
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Oh, just in case it's of interest to anyone, i just visited Penhaligon's site and bought a 1.5ml sample for 30/- including postage.

Thanks buddy - just bustin your chops a lil bit. Afterall, you're in the land of Scent Bar
    Gonna call 'em today to make sure they can fire off some samples just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Sorry SoGent, I'm not good with brief in-store tests. At the time, it was just coincidence that the SA at Scent Bar had recently been to London and been given a 1ml test vial. The official Lucky Scent tester bottle was not in yet. As such, it was a little smear on a test strip, and I'm not very good an analyzing from that.

What I smelled, I liked. A lot. I picked up some of the beeswax for sure and it worked for me. Very warm. It was a distinguished and manly smell, but didn't seem to have the usual sort of Penhaligons signature. As the Lucky Scent write up states- it is NOT an aquatic. I believe they threw that into their copy because of the "ozonic note" reference that seems to have spooked some people into thinking this is Pens entry into aquatics.

It's got a ton of notes and I know Duchafour is maestro, but that kind of range spooks me sometimes. Based on what I smelled, I'd probably buy it.

Drive by Scent Bar everyday, so when they have it, I'll pop in and give it a better test. Those kinds of "suit and tie" scents are a weakness of mine.

This just might take over from my interest in the certain Guerlain release. Let the competition begin!
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

I can't wait to test this.....I was told at my Saks that there will be a Penhaligon's trunk show in the store.....I hope this is true and I hope this scent is in the show (trunk).
    Thanks for the fantastic review and info!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I can't wait to test this.....I was told at my Saks that there will be a Penhaligon's trunk show in the store.....I hope this is true and I hope this scent is in the show (trunk).
    Thanks for the fantastic review and info!!!
    Gary
    When is the trunk show, do you know? And which Saks? Thanks.
    Currently wearing: Benedictus by Excelsis

Just an FYI ... I got an email from Luckyscent saying that my pre order shipped so it looks like it's in stock there now.

I sampled this fragrance yesterday at the Regent Street store, and I'm afraid I don't share the excitement/praise lauded on Sartorial, there is nothing special about it...
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum View Post
    I sampled this fragrance yesterday at the Regent Street store, and I'm afraid I don't share the excitement/praise lauded on Sartorial, there is nothing special about it...
    Well, each to their own.

I've been living with this fragrance for a week now and my opinion on it remains unchanged.

It wouldn't be half as interesting a subject if we all agreed on everything.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

what a passionate review! thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Just an FYI ... I got an email from Luckyscent saying that my pre order shipped so it looks like it's in stock there now.
    Indeed. I stopped in to Lucky Scent yesterday and grabbed some. Still getting to know it, but I quite like it so far. Right now, it feels like a perfect scent for me. I'll be giving it a regular daily test wearing today. I totally get the "ozonic effect- steam rising from an iron on tweed" in the opening notes. Nicely done. Beeswax gives it a nice warmth. Don't know about longevity in a regular wearing yet, but seems promising. Can't tell about projection yet, but seems like it wears fairly close to skin. Not a sillage monster.

A nice modern manly scent from Pens and Duchafour.

Not as formal dressy as I had initially thought. I'll be wearing this a lot this week.

Indeed. I stopped in to Lucky Scent yesterday and grabbed some. Still getting to know it, but I quite like it so far. Right now, it feels like a perfect scent for me. I'll be giving it a regular daily test wearing today. I totally get the "ozonic effect- steam rising from an iron on tweed" in the opening notes. Nicely done. Beeswax gives it a nice warmth. Don't know about longevity in a regular wearing yet, but seems promising. Can't tell about projection yet, but seems like it wears fairly close to skin. Not a sillage monster.

A nice modern manly scent from Pens and Duchafour.

Not as formal dressy as I had initially thought. I'll be wearing this a lot this week.
    Thank you, StylinLA, for the review. I will be sampling THIS ONE soon!
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Thank you, StylinLA, for the review. I will be sampling THIS ONE soon!
    Give it a try. I like it, but it hasn't slid past HRBC for me yet.

I tried this and was pleasantly surprised with this one! The opening is seriously a blast from the past. I got instant old spice/brut feel. Then it fades into a musty dusty smell reminiscent of what you get in Vintage tabarome. There is definitely a smell in there that gives a sense of a suit factory. Something in this scent smells of fabric in a strange way. Very nice and very different for penhalligons.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    I tried this and was pleasantly surprised with this one! The opening is seriously a blast from the past. I got instant old spice/brut feel. Then it fades into a musty dusty smell reminiscent of what you get in Vintage tabarome. There is definitely a smell in there that gives a sense of a suit factory. Something in this scent smells of fabric in a strange way. Very nice and very different for penhalligons.
    I think it's a touch of lavender and the "ozonic" effect. Reminds me of a hot iron hitting fabric for sure.

BTW- there seemed to be some early fears that this was Pens entry into aquatics. Far from it. Much more of a fougere.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th October 2010 at 08:34 PM.

I think it's a touch of lavender and the "ozonic" effect. Reminds me of a hot iron hitting fabric for sure.

BTW- there seemed to be some early fears that this was Pens entry into aquatics. Far from it. Much more of a fougere.
    That's the funny thing about this - Penhaligon's themselves want to lump this in with the fougere category, but due to the spice mix in there, it has me heading down a more oriental avenue, with even a chypre element to it with the woods and oakmoss in there.

What the hell, it all adds up to a really lovely all round fragrance with great longevity.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

What is the longevity of Sartorial on both skin and clothes?

Someone enlighten me on this.

Still getting to know it Primrose...

Seems pretty good longevity on skin, but wears "light" on me; a bit too light for my taste, but it sometimes takes me awhile to get to know a scent. Haven't tried it on cloth.

Using a scent we both relate to, it is much lighter on me than HRBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    What is the longevity of Sartorial on both skin and clothes?

Someone enlighten me on this.
    I've found it projects well - by no means a sillage monster, but enough to get you noticed in the first couple of hours of wearing. After that you can smell it comfortably from a foot or so away for the next couple of hours.

Longevity is very good for an EDT a good six hours or more. I would contrast this to something like Aventus which has packed up its bags and gone home after an hour on my skin and I have a fairly normal skin type.

Still getting to know it Primrose...

Seems pretty good longevity on skin, but wears "light" on me; a bit too light for my taste, but it sometimes takes me awhile to get to know a scent. Haven't tried it on cloth.

Using a scent we both relate to, it is much lighter on me than HRBC.
    StylinLA, just bumping the thread to get more impressions of this. What is your final verdict?

Is this floral in any way, or mostly patchouli in the drydown? (I adore Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier, yes!)

Not very floral at all to me, no. Some lavender. Beeswax. A bit woody. I sure don't get much of the violet. I'm sure the patchouli is there, but for my nose, there are so many notes, it's hard to hang on anything too long.

Thank you, StylinLA and HDS!
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th October 2010 at 03:55 AM.

I agree with JWS, I definitely get the similarities to Rive Gauche, in fact it was the absolute first thing that came to my head. Very barbershoppy, shaving foam and all.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Upon wearing today after reading MTG's post, indeed I can see a similarity to RIVE GAUCHE. It doesn't smell a lot like RIVE GAUCHE, but it is very fougere-y. They have a similar attitude. RGPH is louder than SARTORIAL. SARTORIAL is much more layered.

I guess Jock_With_Scents thinks Sartorial smells dated to him. That's OK because it's his honest opinion. For me Sartorial smells completely new,modern, and refreshenly unique. I don't get any traditional fougere at all. I've worn Sartorial three days in a row now because I'm enjoying it so much.

Sartorial is without a doubt the crown jewel in Penhaligon's line. Duchaufour loves his green pepper. The drydown to me is all about the green pepper. Very sexy, masculine and sensual to my nose. Sartorial is 100% pure class in a bottle. This can be worn by a 20 year old or a 60 year old and still be classy.

Good sillage and great lasting power for an EDT.

I guess it's time to back my mouth with my money. Off to Luckyscent for a bottle of this modern elixir.

CAUTION: Continued use may be addicting.
    Last edited by thebeck; 27th October 2010 at 02:37 PM.

Interesting "back and forth" on this gents.

I too have been sampling this and enjoying it immensely. I hear the RGPH comparison, but because of the lavender note, I am also drawing analogies to other lavender prominent frags - insert your own here. I tried to do a side by side with Gris Clair, and when doing that I realized that indeed Sartorial is much more than just lavender - very multifaceted. One more to add to the wishlist!

Upon wearing today after reading MTG's post, indeed I can see a similarity to RIVE GAUCHE. It doesn't smell a lot like RIVE GAUCHE, but it is very fougere-y. They have a similar attitude. RGPH is louder than SARTORIAL. SARTORIAL is much more layered.
    Louder? I only have a sample of RGPH, so I'm not well versed in it, but I found Sartorial to be VERY loud, actually quite surprisingly so. I think I wrote it off too quickly, because the whole "barbershop" theme is not my favorite area of fragrance, but the drydown is beautiful.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense