Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Penhaligon's Sartorial - first wearing and review

have a horrible "medicinal vibe"
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

i broke down and purchased this today while in NY between meetings. i got a sample of this years ago and didnt like it much initially. over sveral months i continued chipping away at my sample and ended up LOVING it, but I never purchased it because I was afraid of smelling dated. i decided to make a quick stop to saks during lunch to check on blenheim b. which i had never tried before. it was meh. then in the corner if my eye I saw a tester bottle of satorial. I took a sniff an all the memories came back to me. i purchased it immediately, as in that moment i realized that i dont give a damn what other people think of this scent or that it smells vageuly like brut. ithink its absolutely amazing on me, especially in the dry down and thats all that matters. for those of you that have summarily dismissed this like i did, i urge you to try it again and let it evolve from start to finish then make a decision. this is one of theonly fragrances that I can say took me a while to "get", but once i got it, i GOT it.

Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    i broke down and purchased this today while in NY between meetings. i got a sample of this years ago and didnt like it much initially. over sveral months i continued chipping away at my sample and ended up LOVING it, but I never purchased it because I was afraid of smelling dated. i decided to make a quick stop to saks during lunch to check on blenheim b. which i had never tried before. it was meh. then in the corner if my eye I saw a tester bottle of satorial. I took a sniff an all the memories came back to me. i purchased it immediately, as in that moment i realized that i dont give a damn what other people think of this scent or that it smells vageuly like brut. ithink its absolutely amazing on me, especially in the dry down and thats all that matters. for those of you that have summarily dismissed this like i did, i urge you to try it again and let it evolve from start to finish then make a decision. this is one of theonly fragrances that I can say took me a while to "get", but once i got it, i GOT it.
    I actually loved Sartorial at first sniff and am on my second bottle. It is one of my go to fragrances when I don't know what I want to wear. I'm glad your enjoying it now. Definitely will be in my rotation for a long time.. Enjoy wearing it!!!!

I personally think Sartorial is a fresher and brighter IB....Which is why I bought it a year ago....I havent looked back sense...
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

Just got my bottle in today. I haven't given it a full wearing, but I have sprayed and smelled it on a sample strip and on my arm.

Like many have said, it opens up with that steam/starch accord. It's that scent you get from the steam that rises into the air when you starch a shirt and roll over it with your iron. That with the lavender gives you the feeling of fresh linen and dryer sheets. It's not a spectacular smell, but it's very well done. Then, you start picking up on the powdery feeling from the chalk and the sweet waxy feeling from the beeswax. You also get a slight metallic vibe. Throughout all this though, there isn't a single note that dominates the opening. It's very well blended as you pick up on different notes every time you smell it. After it dries down a bit, that's when the vanilla/amber and light woods show up. In my opinion, that is the best part of the scent. The remainder of the fragrance is a linear soft scent that still exudes complexity due to the excellent blend of so many notes. The end result is a fragrance that is best suited for a well-groomed gentleman. It doesn't feel dated, but it's definitely for a more mature crowd. It's not trying to be loud or sensual. Instead, it stays classy and restrained.

I really like the scent, but it's not quite the masterpiece I was hoping for. When I heard aromatic fougere, I really thought this would smell a lot closer to Rive Gauche than it does. I bought Sartorial with the purpose of replacing Rive Gauche, but I'm not so certain I want to do that now. There are enough differences in these scents to warrant owning both. I would say the rosemary in Rive Gauche makes it brighter and louder, and Sartorial feels softer and more subdued due to the powdery feel.

All in all, from my first impression, I would give this a 4/5 mainly due to the excellent blend. With more wearings, I believe it will only get better.

I hope this was informative.

Bought this cheap (second hand with still 48ml in it) and never regretted it! Excellent stuff as written by eg. 'That Guy'!
    Maybe some have to get used to it but the fragrance on me just gets better and better. The drydown is fortunately the best part and lasts all day.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)