Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Houbigant Fougère Royale: A first sniff from a tester

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    count me as skeptical. the name was sold several times. houbigant became a cheap name. what company exactly is really behind all this?

it would be interesting to compare, though. i have a bottle from the 1940-1950's. at that point, houbigant was still houbigant, and making quality stuff.

the original smells fresh, with very much coumarin, and dirty at the same time, with natural civet. it's clearly intended as a masculine. and not very floral, not at all.. i don't know what all these floral notes are about.
    Sampled the new one today and yes, it is very different from the original. I wouldn’t call it a flowery scent, though. It’s more like a generic sporty fougere – a little today, a little 80’s. Someone here on the forum called it “a mix between Cool Water and Versace Blue Jeans”, and I’m afraid he had a point there. One wonders why they choose to use the FR trademark to launch a new fragrance there’s already hundreds of out there.

Personally I don’t believe in the idea that time has made a decent reorchestration impossible. Of course it’s possible for a skilled perfumer to come very close to the original, even considered some of the materials are or might be unavailable today. Trumper’s Wild Fern is one example. Whether it was disbelief in the beauty of the original, disbelief in the consumers or just focus groups that made it end up like this I don’t know. Maybe they were just afraid that it would smell “old” or “dirty” and came up with the brilliant idea to make a Sport Royale.

Quote Originally Posted by headspace View Post
    Sampled the new one today and yes, it is very different from the original. I wouldn’t call it a flowery scent, though. It’s more like a generic sporty fougere – a little today, a little 80’s. Someone here on the forum called it “a mix between Cool Water and Versace Blue Jeans”, and I’m afraid he had a point there. One wonders why they choose to use the FR trademark to launch a new fragrance there’s already hundreds of out there.
    Interesting how perceptions can be so different...I get neither Cool Water nor Blue Jeans in FR.

Quote Originally Posted by headspace View Post
    One wonders why they choose to use the FR trademark to launch a new fragrance there’s already hundreds of out there.
    Hundreds of what? I have never seen any Fougere Royales around here, and to my nose, it is FAR from generic and common.
    I also think it is a fantastic idea to try to recreate something that is now only a legend, provided that the attempt is in earnest. I also wonder about the validity of smelling some 60 year old vintage juice next to a reformulation, and dismissing the new formulation as a failure because of some dissimilarities. I am not a chemist, but I would bet that 60 year old juice is only a shadow of its original self (most 60 year old objects are). I have had many fragrances take a turn for the worst in less than a decade. I think Le Labo's expiration date is a little excessive and unnecessary, but they do have a point.

I, for one, cannot wait for my bottle. Near, far, weak, strong, similar or dissimilar to "vintage" Fougere Royale, the new 'formulation' can stand on its own.

Well, I don't exactly get any Cool Water or Blue Jeans in FR either – but the reformulation is closer to them than to my old sample of FR. Of course my sample might have changed over the years, but the sample smells absolutely beautiful and like a complete different fragrance in every way. I mean really different. The old sample is in many ways identical to Trumper’s Wild fern (1870’s), and that’s why I think it hasn’t changed that much or gone bad over time. I think the reformulation might fit today’s average consumer better though and they might have made a wise decision economically.

When I said hundreds, I mean generic male fragrances that come and go in the department stores. One starts to wonder what’s actually in my bottle… Did we even get the same juice? Strange.

Interesting. I should get mine next week...(I had to mail them a check, wait for it to clear, then they will send it arrrgggggggghhhhh...checks are so 1995...)
    I will investigate further once it arrives. I certainly did not get the impression that it was a cheap fragrance branded by a FR bottle. I remember it being much more rich and textured than that. I will update this soon...hopefully by next week.

I finally have my hands on a bottle (a special thanks to a very kind Basenoter who helped facilitate the process).

From the start, expecting to be underwhelmed, I was actually quite amazed.
    Fougere Royale is like the “primordial soup” of today’s fragrances. This is my first time trying FR and yet my mind is flooded with familiarity –I’m grasping the fact that FR has really been with me almost every step of the way of my perfume hobby. It is the backbone of at least 50% of my wardrobe.

Coumarin and citrus isolates seem to be the key players that propel the fragrance and make the green herbal and bergamot topnotes sing, while the rest of the chems seem to suggest supporting the light –almost nondescript- floral heart (mainly lily of the valley, carnation and rose). The ingredient list reads:

Alcohol, Parfum, Water, Limonene, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Isoeugenol, Linalool, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone

FR rests upon a cool, mossy base (and a touch of patchouli softened with a mere suggestion of vanilla and cinnamon). Notice there is no oakmoss listed; so either a synthetic was used or an absolute which, I assume, would allow the oakmoss to reside in the ‘parfum’ portion of the ingredient list.

I find it safe to say at the moment that any reformulating was likely done only to comply with IFRA restrictions, and for the sake of consistency and preservation of the originally intended impression of the fragrance. Fougere Royale is indeed a very modern scent –ahead of its time during first release and still valid 128 years later.

I have a vintage bottle in transit, so I look forward to a side by side comparison in the next few days.

OK, so the holidays are over: Who got it for Christmas? Reviews? Rants?

I'm thinking more and more of pulling the trigger on this one. Has anybody seen FR appear on the decant sites somewhere?

I purchased FR about 2 weeks ago here at Neiman Marcus. A solid wardrobe addition. It's a rich and complex fragrance that appeals to me. The sillage and longevity are more than acceptable. If a vendor has it in stock near you, you could always drop by and spritz to check it out. That's what I did.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by MHV View Post
    OK, so the holidays are over: Who got it for Christmas? Reviews? Rants?

I'm thinking more and more of pulling the trigger on this one. Has anybody seen FR appear on the decant sites somewhere?

One of my best purchases of 2010.

So far it seems that nobody is distributing Houbigant in Canada anymore (at least not in dept. stores), so I was wondering if you can get samples vials of FR? I could arrange with someone in the US to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I said in my original post that it is at least as good as Patou pour Homme Privé, and as a green fougère, I think it does compare very favorably with pH Privé.
    Just stumbled upon this thread.. Patou Prive is my holy grail fougere.. if the above is indeed true I sure am going to be broke in the next few weeks. Off to Roja Dove...

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Just stumbled upon this thread.. Patou Prive is my holy grail fougere.. if the above is indeed true I sure am going to be broke in the next few weeks. Off to Roja Dove...
    It's as good as PH Prive IMO, but it is a different scent. PH Prive is more of a true lavender scent, this one is more aromatic fougere....

Does anybody tried parfume version for 600 USD?

Quote Originally Posted by EDJA View Post
    Does anybody tried parfume version for 600 USD?
    I have a bottle of it and wear it every so often, it's nice but I dunno if it's worth the extra over the EdP. I bought it on a whim and it's a great display piece so I enjoy having it.