Code of Conduct

Default Aquatic gourmand?

Hi all:

Is there such a thing as an aquatic gourmand? Just wondering if anyone has tried to put the two together and succeeded. If so, what is it?

Thanks.

Default Re: Aquatic gourmand?

I like both Ice*Men and A*Men Sunessence by Thierry Mugler. Many don't here on the boards though. Give them a try.

The gourmand aspect would kill the aquatic note, I suppose. Perhaps you should try to layer A*Men and Kenzo pour Homme (the strongest aquatic I know).

I think Seduction in Black fits the category. It's like a mix of a more potent Armani Code and Blue Seduction which is more or less an aquatic.

Blog Entries

The closest thing I can think of is Allure Homme Edition Blanche. It's not aquatic per se, but it is fresh. And it combines the freshness with a lemon creme accord. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    The closest thing I can think of is Allure Homme Edition Blanche. It's not aquatic per se, but it is fresh. And it combines the freshness with a lemon creme accord. Great stuff.
    I agree with this.....creamy lemon vibe....

+1 Amen Sunesseence by Thierry Mugler

Thanks for your replies. I can see where the combination might not work, but perfumers have a knack for doing amazing things with different genres, so I just wondered.

I don't know much about the Thierry Mugler line but will definitely check those out if I can find them.

The Seduction in Black suggestion intrigues me because I wear Blue Seduction regularly as an everyday fragrance. It's definitely mainstream aquatic, but I think it works well for casual daywear. I have seen Seduction in Black in stores but passed over it thinking it was repetition, but maybe it isn't. I will try it the next time I see it.

Allure Edition Blanche has been on my radar for some time, but I haven't tested it yet. I like the original Allure but would classify it as a mild oriental rather than a gourmand. The lines blur, of course, but the creamy lemon sounds appealing. I need to try it.

I think anything combined with Kenzo would lose the competition, as that is about the most briny fragrance I have ever smelled—the aquatic’s aquatic, as it were. To combine that with something else would just seem wrong to me, so I would prefer to keep that one as it is.

Thanks again!

Aquatic gourmand sounds like an oxymoron to me.

I used to own Blue Seduction which I loved. At first it was just kind of bleh, but after a little while, I began to realize the risk it took, a brand new take on an aquatic with the mint, and coffee notes, incorporated with the sour melon, and citrus, and that general water/aqua feel. Excellent fragrance indeed, with fantastic longevity and projection. Seduction in Black is just so much better though, it takes all of Blue Seduction, tones it down, and kicks up a gourmandish side, very similar to Armani Code but without the woods. The opening combines both of these elements, but the dry down becomes primarily gourmand. Given your appreciation for Blue Seduction, I think you will love this one too. It was voted most appealing men's frag I believe at the Fi Fi Awards -- an entire award show for fragrances. It's a little bit more difficult to find than Blue Seduction, yet I never smell this on anyone. I never see anyone on BN talk about it except for me, trying to push it a little bit and let people know that this is a top notch fragrance; it has everything it takes to be a big time player in the world of men's fragrances. Unique, (more so if you haven't tried Blue Seduction) versatile, sexy, compliment getter, inoffensive, projects well, lasts up to 10 hours.. sometimes more, and inexpensive. This will always be in my collection since discovering it about 8 months ago, and makes my all time top 25 list, with the likes of GIT, Fahrenheit, Burberry London etc. Much respect for this fragrance, and the entire Banderas house as well.

I may be extending the definition of gourmand and aquatic here, but anyways :

Salvador Dali Laguna

Rochas Desir

Desir has a "chocolate note" in it, or something that smells as such. It also comes across as an aquatic ( to me). Not the literal ( Kenzo L'eau), but kind of that slang term aquatic used on Basenotes.

Laguna does not seem to be mentioned too much here. To be honest, this makes my stomach turn a bit. At a distance, it smells nice. On me and up close, not so much. Starts off with fresh notes, including watery/aquatic notes, and develops into a sweet scent that is borderline gourmand. But I may be stretching it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Avant Garde by M. Micallef.

The best aquatic gourmand I have ever smelled is Uden by Xerjoff.

Definitely worth a try.

These two fit the bill I believe. They are Turqoise-Olivier Derbano, Sel Marin-Heeley. I tried a small decant of Derbano from a friend and I think its fits the bill. They are both pricey though.

Basenotes Institution

Surfacing nailed it: Laguna!

I remember doing a thread awhile back asking about an aquatic that would smell like the ocean mixed with the smells of the
    boardwalk (candy apples, cotton candy, etc). I suppose that was what you are looking for. Not much surfaced, but someone did mention Coney Island by Bond no. 9.

Missoni: a chocolatey aquatic
    Evenstar

I smelled Armani Diamonds for the first time yesterday. I don't know if it would qualify as an aquatic gourmand, but I think it's in the ballpark and worthy of a sampling if you like this sort of thing.

How about Very Irresistible Fresh? Its supposed to be minty/fresh and perhaps it has aquatic notes too. Of course, the original Very Irresistible is a potent gourmand.

Aquaman by Rochas

Scents of Time Nenufar

Would an aquatic gourmand fragrance smell like seafood?

+2 re: everything Surfacing said about Laguna.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Aquaman by Rochas

I agree this comes close, but not exactly IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    Hi all:

Is there such a thing as an aquatic gourmand? Just wondering if anyone has tried to put the two together and succeeded. If so, what is it?

Thanks.
    There's one that comes immediately to mind - the new Etat Libre d'Orange Jospehine Baker. It's a fresh/aquatic with a gourmand feel. I personally didn't like it so I sold my bottle but if this is what you're looking for check it out.

I agree with the suggestions of Ice*Men because it's a great fragrance - but it's neither gourmand nor aquatic (it's a light patchouli/oriental).

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    Would an aquatic gourmand fragrance smell like seafood?
    I was thinking saltwater taffy.

I had a nightmare last night of an aquatic gourmand.