Code of Conduct

Smile Suggestions from my collection to wear on a first date

Hey guys, I am more of a lurker and observer, than a participant on this site. I really enjoy reading all the good info here. I have learned a great deal while on here, some very informative reads indeed. I don't have a vast collection of scents, I only have 10 to choose from. I like all of them, some more than others. My latest infatuation has been with Encre Noire. I believe I may be in the beginning stages of Vetiver addiction! If anyone could suggest a safe scent for me to wear on a first date, from my collection that would be great! BTW, I am 43, and she is 36. I'm contemplating Encre Noire or Rive Gauche....Thanks in advance guys...

Default Re: Suggestions from my collection to wear on a first date

Rive Gauche

encre noir

What are your other options to choose from?

My other options are listed in my wardrobe....

....or I could list my top choices, just having a tough time choosing the safest for a first date with a lady.... D & G ph, encre noire, rive gauche, azzaro ph, quorum, cool water, acqua di gio, gucci ph, grey flannel, halston Z14

I'd go with Gucci pH or the D&G, applied somewhat lightly.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices. Choose one that you know well and feel comfortable with. Don't over-apply! And I'd apply at least 20 minutes before you see her. Your frag is just one component of your presentation. Don't forget the other parts.

I think Rive Gauche would be a good, safe choice. However, I think Azzaro Pour Homme is so HOT! Haha. Apply as the other guys have recommended. Have fun!
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Based on your wardrobe I would go with either Rive Gauche or D&G....the wild card would be AdG....it might come off as trying to be too young, but it's undeniably pleasant.

Good luck!

It seems that you already have the 2 you wish to wear down pact already.. But I would choose Rive Gauche/
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

Yeah I'd chose between Encre Noire, Rive Gauche or Gucci PH I. Gucci seems the more date kind of fragrance between those 3.

Sur la Plage

Gucci PH
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Just something subtle , the perfume hater said if he knew I loved perfume on our first date there wouldnt have been a second one

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Gucci PH
    + 1.

If I'd previously known your date on a more intimate level, I would have been able to provide you a worthwhile answer. But I haven't, so I can't...

Dolce or Perhaps Rive... I would go with Dolce Though!

Thanks guys for all the input and recommendations. It looks like a toss up between Rive Gauche, D&G and Gucci. I'm right in love with Encre Noire, but that may come off as too dark and mysterious, perhaps. I will save that for date no. 2! I think I will decide on the scent of the evening, while showering that night. Again, thanks to all that responded to my post....

Don't forget to wear Azzaro pour Homme once in awhile! HOT!
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Go for the one you feel most comfortable with yourself. Confidence is more important than your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Go for the one you feel most comfortable with yourself. Confidence is more important than your perfume.
    -exactly-

and, to be specific, if You have it in your wardrobe: none.

Gucci pour Homme

I'd love something such as Rive Noire. Not sure about Encre Gauche though...

DeepSilence

Rive Gauche

I totally agree. I have the confidence, just looking for different opinions on what scent may be best for my first date with a fine lady. I have decided it will be Encre Noire.

I'd love something such as Rive Noire
    I don't think I would.

I vote AGAINST Encre Noir. It's risky business outside Basenotes in my view.

Encre Noir

Really? Do you think it may come off as too dark and brooding? It's high on my list for putting me in a mellow, relaxed mood, which suits the occasion. The weather in my area right now would fit this one quite well. It's been dark, cold and rainy.

Not too much to work with there, but I would suggest Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme or ADG. If it's very cold, then Gucci Pour Homme. To be honest, though...It doesn't matter. Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in, and don't think about it.

Good Luck.

Encre Noire is a very fine choice. Love it

I was browsing this thread and read it aloud to my husband, then asked him what he'd wear t of his own collection.
    Him: It depends. Is she a perfumista or a civilian?
    Me: Let's say she's definitely into perfume but you're not sure to what degree.
    Him: I'd be tempted to wear something by Tauer but would probably be safer with one of my Tom Ford. It's not too obscure and wouldn't make her feel insecure in her perfume knowledge.
    Me: Good point. And what if she tells you she only owns a bottle of SJP Lovely and a Michael Kors something or other?
    Him: Cancel the date.

When's the date? You'll have to give us a followup!

Rive Gauche

Dolce & Gabbana

I think there is a good chance she'll dislike it. Yes, I think it's the most interesting fragrance of you wardrobe, but that's not important at all here. Just think about it, what kind of fragrances people wear nowadays; to what is she used to? Not dry, earthy, smoky and even brutal vetiver fragrance for sure!

For an average person fragrances are to certain extent only nice or not nice. When we talk about fragrance being dark or mysterious, it's not that to a person who isn't into fragrances. We If she doesn't think it's pleasant, she probably doesn't analyze it further. Encre Noir is many things, but not pleasant. I might be underestimating masses, I don't know. Either way, Rive Gauche is so much safer.

I would say, just go with the most fancy one you have, I did. I used Clinique Happy for Men as it was the most expensive one I had at the time, but also I had Burberry for Men...but the point is, be fancy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    +1. Actually, as much as love them, vetivers in general are not lady pleasers (speaking VERY generally). As it's your first date, and without knowing anything about you or her, I'd probably stick to something safe and clean. AdG, I guess.

Thank you kind folks for the insight and suggestions. The date went very well Saturday night. I ended up going with 2 sprays of my standby and safest scent....Rive Gauche.

Congratulations on your choice! Did she like it?