Code of Conduct

Default Beyond Paradise for Men...What do you think?

Greetings Everyone

In the book Perfumes:The Guide, Luca Turin gave Beyond Paradise for Men a rating of 5 stars (A Masterpiece). What do you think of this Estee Lauder fragrance?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: Beyond Paradise for Men...What do you think?

5 stars is a little generous. Its very pleasant but it seems to be a touch synthetic IMO. Maybe 3

Sur la Plage

1 star - and I am being generous
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My sincere apologies to perfumer Calice Becker, but for me, Beyond Paradise smells like it was designed by a machine.

sour patch kids

Not really a masterpiece IMO. Unmistakable might be the most positive word for it.

Not very interesting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    5 stars is a little generous. Its very pleasant but it seems to be a touch synthetic IMO. Maybe 3
    Who cares if a fragrance smells synthetic, if t smells good it smells good
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I disagree with LT on a lot of his assessments but on Beyond Paradise we are somewhat in agreement. I say just short of a masterpiece but definitely one of Estee Lauder's best. It is one of my favorites but apparently, it's not for everyone based on the extremely strong negative reviews. It is, btw, a better cold weather scent and not so good for hot weather, at least on my skin.
    Griff

I wanted to like it just because Luca gave it 5 stars. It turns sour on my skin after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I wanted to like it just because Luca gave it 5 stars. It turns sour on my skin after a while.
    me too

Absolutely nasty. It smelt like fruity bug spray that has gone 'off.' It completely spoiled the other fragrances I was testing that day since it was so overpowering. No idea how it got 5 stars!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I rarely EVER agree with the so-called "expert" Luca Turin and I don't agree with him on this one either.

I didn't read the review, but I didn't think the fragrance was anything special at all

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Greetings Everyone

In the book Perfumes:The Guide, Luca Turin gave Beyond Paradise for Men a rating of 5 stars (A Masterpiece). What do you think of this Estee Lauder fragrance?
    Ahh, not on a man. But - it is a masterfully rendered concoction. I would have liked Tommy Girl more if it wasn't that laden with an aquatic (?) something that comes out after a while and spoils the balance. BP is in its development a far better performer. In both the Becker accord swings loud and clear. I get it as a fully synthetic Jasmine*Rose of some depth. Insofar the description by Turin seems plausible to me. The rating, mhh? Jasmine Et Cigarette, Encens Et Bubblegum both have gotten 4. Vent Vert would have gotten 5. I think, it's o/k with the 5 for BP. Kenzo Flower falls a bit short for 5. TG and BP are perfect synthetics.

Alas, the meaning of the fragrances is to be only one of all those hidden utilities in the wardrobe of a woman, decidedly female. They are not as classic yet to be worn by men too.

Interesting that you should mention Tommy Girl. Luca Turin considers it one of the Top Ten feminines suitable for a man to wear. As he himself says, however, you should wear a fragrance because you like it, not based on the reviews. But the reviews are great fun to read, aren't they?

It smelled okay to me, but lacking in strength and sillage.
    I didn't entertain buying it.
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    1 star - and I am being generous
    This ^ ^ ^

I find it bitter but I also like the subdued sweetness. Distinctive but not captivating.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I really don't like Pleasures For Men, and I'm a big Lauder fan. It's similar to Perry Ellis Platinum, with some sharp floral notes added that overpower everything else that's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    Interesting that you should mention Tommy Girl. Luca Turin considers it one of the Top Ten feminines suitable for a man to wear. As he himself says, however, you should wear a fragrance because you like it, not based on the reviews. But the reviews are great fun to read, aren't they?
    L Turin talks of BP as a member of a trilogy which includes Tommy Girl and some other I don't remember. Don't like TG for the aqua effect which chimes in after about 45 minutes, big disapointment. Tommy Girl 10 is better in that respect. The phases of its development seem more plausible to me: stringent tickling flower/fresh aqua/laundry musk with clearly observable transitions.

I wear it when I'm in the mood for something a little different, and trust me It's a little different. A far cry from a really great Estee Lauder fragrance, and that being Lauder for Men.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I love The Guide and find myself in agreement with Turin and Sanchez about 75% of the time ... but the five star review of BP for Men remains a complete mystery to me.

When I was first embarking on my perfume obsession, I bought a (small) bottle of it online unsniffed solely based on Turin's rhapsodic description - that whole bit about the Concorde flying westward into an endless dawn, etc. - and was really let down by what turned out to be a reasonably pleasant but otherwise generic smelling fruity nonentity. I find it has no depth or complexity to speak of, and is far from being on the same level as other five-star masterpieces in the book.

In sum, it's not a *bad* fragrance per se ... just not a very interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD View Post
    I love The Guide and find myself in agreement with Turin and Sanchez about 75% of the time ... but the five star review of BP for Men remains a complete mystery to me.

When I was first embarking on my perfume obsession, I bought a (small) bottle of it online unsniffed solely based on Turin's rhapsodic description - that whole bit about the Concorde flying westward into an endless dawn, etc. - and was really let down by what turned out to be a reasonably pleasant but otherwise generic smelling fruity nonentity. I find it has no depth or complexity to speak of, and is far from being on the same level as other five-star masterpieces in the book.

In sum, it's not a *bad* fragrance per se ... just not a very interesting one.
    What he said.

uups - off topic! I thought it was Beyond Paradise (for women) worn by men. Not so, sorry.