Code of Conduct

Default Anybody know what size the decant/atomizers are at Sephora?

I know they're at least 3 ml, but not sure if they're 3, 4, or 5. If anyone knows for sure it'd be very helpful and much appreciated.

Default Re: Anybody know what size the decant/atomizers are at Sephora?

They look like they could be 2 or 3 ml.

As long as i remember its 3 ml.

The ones at Nordstrom's are bigger but don't stand up, cost half as much though.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I think they're probably 2.5. There are 2 different ones though. They used to have good 2.5 (maybe 3ml?) ones in the men's section, and then about a year ago they now only have the smaller 1.5ml atomizers. At least that's the case here in Toronto.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

3 ml for sure. And there are 2 different shapes.

Are you referring to the atomizers that they decant for you when you want to sample fragrances, or the atomizers that they sell?

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Are you referring to the atomizers that they decant for you when you want to sample fragrances, or the atomizers that they sell?
    I explained it pretty well.

Anyways guys, thanks for the info, I'll go with the 3ml, that looks about right. Reason I was asking is because I'm very impressed with that size, and I want to make sure when I purchase some decants that I get that same size. Thank you all.

This is what they had when I went. 10mL? I think it's 10 I forgot lol
    Last edited by GekiGAngerII; 14th October 2010 at 03:49 AM.

they have 5ml and 40ml glass atomizers inside a beautiful sephora casing.

They have plastic ones, I don't know what sizes they have coz I don't care for these ones. hahaha

The rollerball and the sprayers are both 3ml and come with small funnels. Make sure the gaskets are snug but not too snug, otherwise they will leak. Do this and you'll be fine.

I like them because they are cheap, small and portable.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

At our Sephora the atomizers are 2 ml. They are 5.5 cm high and 12 mm diameter.

They used to have 2.5 ml atomizers but I noticed this past year they got smaller.

Edit: I am referring to the plastic atomizers the SAs use to give customers free samples.

Okay, to clarify, I'm talking about the ones they give you when you ask for samples. They hold a nice amount, but they only fill them less than 1/4 of the way. They use a funnel as well. The decants are kind of thick and come with a cap.

As Prim says, they sometimes do leak, and I notice the sprayers to become crooked, but I'm impressed overall with the size of the decant, I get about a good 15 sprays when filled up to the top.

I just measured one, and it's a little more than 3 1/2 inches tall with its cap on. About an inch and a half around, maybe slightly less; and a little less than a half inch across. Hope that helps in distinguishing which one this is. It's the standard size at my local Sephoria, I should have asked them.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Okay, to clarify, I'm talking about the ones they give you when you ask for samples. They hold a nice amount, but they only fill them less than 1/4 of the way. They use a funnel as well. The decants are kind of thick and come with a cap.

As Prim says, they sometimes do leak, and I notice the sprayers to become crooked, but I'm impressed overall with the size of the decant, I get about a good 15 sprays when filled up to the top.

I just measured one, and it's a little more than 3 1/2 inches tall with its cap on. About an inch and a half around, maybe slightly less; and a little less than a half inch across. Hope that helps in distinguishing which one this is. It's the standard size at my local Sephoria, I should have asked them.
    I concur with Roses on the size of the decanted samples. I think they are 2 ml.

Some lazy SAs don't every fill up the vial. They scowl that you even ask. I drive 15 miles to a good Sephora where the SAs cheerfully make samples.

I asked for a spray vial once at one Sephora, and the woman pointed me to the $10 ones. When I explained that I wanted a decant, she gave me a dumb look. I finally insisted on a sample and the woman looked really put out. She needs to work at fast food and get out of retail.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I concur with Roses on the size of the decanted samples. I think they are 2 ml.

Some lazy SAs don't every fill up the vial. They scowl that you even ask. I drive 15 miles to a good Sephora where the SAs cheerfully make samples.

I asked for a spray vial once at one Sephora, and the woman pointed me to the $10 ones. When I explained that I wanted a decant, she gave me a dumb look. I finally insisted on a sample and the woman looked really put out. She needs to work at fast food and get out of retail.
    LOL Seriously. They're so full of themselves. I have been buying samples for the longest time, or getting them through individual companies via contacting them directly. But I see all these YT guys bragging about how they get free samples at Nordstrom's, Niem & Marcus, Macy's, and Sephora. So I figured what the hey, I had a 2 hour break from work, and headed down to the mall out here, went to Macy's.. no luck. Went to Sephoria. "We can only do 3 samples" is what I got from her. So as she was filling them, which she didn't look too happy with doing.. I started to talk about fragrances a little bit. I felt almost obligated to throw a compliment her way, so I said how much I appreciated the samples and how it's nice to be able to sample a fragrance and see how it develops on your skin before buying it. Her knowledge for frags was horrible though, she was pushing One Million and YSL La Nuit, which she labeled "L'Homme Black" on the bag. I didn't notice until I was walking out, and it surely made me laugh.

On the samples though, I wanted to be like.. WTF!! There's nothing in here. Seriously, if you're gonna take the time to get on your knees, go into the drawer, get 3 decants out, 3 new funnels, 3 bags, a pen to label.. and do all that, at least fill the samples up a little more. It's gotta cost more for the decanting supplies than the juice they're putting inside.

I've only gotten two samples from there before, 1 Million and the new The One Gentleman. The 1 Million the guy filled up two sample vials, which was probably a promo thing, but still very nice. With the D&G one, the guy filled one vial up to the brim. So I haven't encountered a cheapskate SA as of yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

My 5 ml atomizers from Accessories for Fragrances are 3" tall, a little less than 1/2 inch across and have threads (whereas the little ones from Sephora snap shut, and leak when the SA fails to press firmly enough on the cap to snap them shut the whole way.)

So the ones you are talking about have to be at least 5 ml.

Pardon the dark picture, just to give you an idea. Here you can see I've compared it to a .5 oz bottle of Nautica Classic, and a 20 oz water. I think they are 5 ml as well, but just wanna make sure.

Uggh it'd be so nice if it said what size they were on the bottom or something.

Blog Entries

Um, having just reread this now I'm thinking you may have 3 ml atomizers. Because with my 5 ml one I get a good 39 sprays out of it. If you are only getting 15 sprays, 3 ml sounds about right.

The plastic ones they give you free samples were only 2ml I thought. If you are SURE they are at least 3ml, I'd have to bet no more than that.

I've gotten many samples at my local Sephora and I've noticed at least a couple of different sizes in the vials.

The SA's have always been friendly and more than happy to make a decant or two (I don't try and push it). I'm usually in there to buy a small item for my wife (Valentine's day, Mother's day, birthday, etc.). That probably helps.

I have noticed, unfortunately, that the number of men's fragrances available has been reduced drastically in the past 6-8 months. Hopefully they'll get more in around the holidays.

*atomizers (not vials)