Code of Conduct

Default Luca Turin Help Please?

Does anybody know where I can find a free online version or PDF of Luca Turin's latest fragrance guide book? Thanks

Default Re: Luca Turin Help Please?

Evenstar

I have in word document form BUT only the star ratings part (5-1 stars)and THE BEST part (i.e best masculine, best feminine, best chypre, etc).

Why not buy one, or see if it's available at a local library, as one or two other basenotes members have done in the past? Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez are both members of basenotes - nice to support each other's work where we can, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Why not buy one, or see if it's available at a local library, as one or two other basenotes members have done in the past? Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez are both members of basenotes - nice to support each other's work where we can, no?
    We agree :-) Many thanks ! LT & TS

I got the book and I read it all the time.

Oh hi LT and TS!

I'm going to have to pick this book up (finally!) if only to read his poor reviews of some of my faves like Antidote and Reflection Man.

I wish he'd re-try Reflection Man. To me it actually has a lot in common with the "pretty" part of Secretions Magnifiques that lies under the wet dog/proteinous accord. I find it strange how one gets 5 stars and one only 1. Of course, Reflection seems to be so prone to minor changes in skin chemistry that I do understand how it could read as an overly sweet thing of no interest.

I wonder if many fragrances that have their complexity hidden within a context that seems "boring/generic/banal" got bad reviews because of the necessity of hasty testing due to the sheer numbers involved. I know I've been guilty of this more often than I'd like to admit!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I bought both the original hardcover version and the revised paperback edition. I refer to the new one weekly and consider it a very valuable resource.

I own the hardcover original and the paid PDF supplements. I sort of wish I hadn't bought the latter, because it all adds up to the new paperback seeming redundant to me, even though it would be nice to have all the content bound together in one volume.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

lol, you wrote a thread asking "Luca Turin for help" and he pops in and goes "um, go buy the book dummy". Pretty funny.
    for the first time I'm actually LOLing.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I just bought it! I refer to it quite a bit. It's definitely worth the price.

I'll probably purchase a couple more scent related books while I'm at it.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Oh yes, the Guide is always on my bedside table.
    I can't wait to get an iPad so I can have it with me when I am shopping for perfume.
    Evenstar

The Guide is my Perfume Bible! Absolutely love both Luca's and Tania's writing, it's so witty and makes me burst out laughing at times!
    Check out my perfume blog, The Smelly Vagabond: http://thesmellyvagabond.wordpress.com

I have the hard cover -- but also love the ebook version, which you can use on your iphone and/or iPad. (or kindle, or nook, & maybe on other smart phones?) What I love about the ebook is the ability to use the search feature, especially since the book doesn't have a comprehensive index. Having the info on hand on an iphone while shopping & traveling is great, too. (if you're reading this thread, LT & TS, I'm wearing Hiris tonight -- because it's 'eavenly! :-)

I just bought Perfumes A-Z last week, but some of my favorites aren't in it. Is there someplace where I might be able to find reviews that aren't in the book?

If you just want the ratings, you can download an excel file off his website.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I would like to know if the paperback contains only the combined contents of the hardcover plus the PDFs (all of which I bought) or whether it has additional content.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I would like to know if the paperback contains only the combined contents of the hardcover plus the PDFs (all of which I bought) or whether it has additional content.
    Yes those things you mentioned and a tiny bit more text and expanded reviews. I like having it all in one handy place myself.

((waving to Luca))

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    There is also a paperback second editon with a different rating system. If I recall, the price range was also included. Handy to have.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaang View Post
    The Guide is my Perfume Bible! Absolutely love both Luca's and Tania's writing, it's so witty and makes me burst out laughing at times!
    I also have the book in hard cover, but don't be so dedicated to Luca and Tania that you don't use your own nose to make decisions. They are very good critics, but everyone has his own taste. Sometimes I agree, and sometimes I don't.

Nice to have a copy, though.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

DeepSilence

Last edited by DeepSilence; 10th June 2011 at 05:45 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    I just bought Perfumes A-Z last week, but some of my favorites aren't in it. Is there someplace where I might be able to find reviews that aren't in the book?
    This might not be too helpful but -If the scents you are looking for are not in current production, they are not included in the A-Z guide.

I learned a lot and was entertained a lot reading the A-Z guide. I had never heard of the Guide or LT & TS before Basenotes. The paperback version is so reasonably priced, every perfume fanatic should invest in one.

This project must have been a monumental undertaking and I'm delighted to have access to the results!
    Last edited by knit at nite; 14th October 2010 at 05:48 AM. Reason: clarity
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Think I've read it so many times, I can recite almost by verbatim. Anybody want to test me? I promise I won't cheat...
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    If you just want the ratings, you can download an excel file off his website.
    Oh, but then you'll miss the whole point: the reviews. Absolutely hilarious. I haven't LOLed at such sharp - and clean - writing in I-don't-know-how-long. You'll learn something new, find new frags to love (and hate), and generally be entertained whether or not you agree with the reviews. "Far more addictive than it has any right to be."

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    The paperback version is so reasonably priced...
    +1

Buy or borrow.
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 14th October 2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: kudos
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I have the paperback version, and it is a great read. Definitely a helpful guide, as well.

Eh, just bought it for 14 bucks, can't go wrong I guess. Does this have every fragrance that isn't discontinued? Or just the ones released this year? Does it have stuff from like Tommy Bahama, Antonio Banderas, etc?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Eh, just bought it for 14 bucks, can't go wrong I guess. Does this have every fragrance that isn't discontinued? Or just the ones released this year? Does it have stuff from like Tommy Bahama, Antonio Banderas, etc?
    There is no way that ANY book could have every fragrance in production (it would be too big to print!) but it has many fragrances that are important to Basenoters, including many designer and niche fragrances.

Think of it this way The_Cologneist: Perfumes The Guide will never replace all of the online resources that you have access to at sites like Basenotes, but it is a nice, easy reference guide that is fun to read, extremely informative with tidbits from certain fragrances history and background & entirely subjective (just because Turin and Sanchez love it or hate it, does not mean you will agree).

I treasure my new paperback version but I will never get rid of my old hardcover copy simply because Luca Turin signed it for me, when I met him.

Best deal on a new condition hardback is $5.99 plus shipping at:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...6n%3D100121501

And apparently they have 20 copies.

Buy it new!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by luca turin View Post
    We agree :-) Many thanks ! LT & TS
    Classic! Made my day.