Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Grey Flannel - as beautiful as ever

Haven't worn this in at least 6 months, probably longer. Finally took it out and put some on and was stunned by its beauty. It's sad that we have to look to niche for this quality of scent these days.

4 ounces for < $20, and it's one of the few scents I've ever given 5 stars to, and I love it just as much as any expensive bottle I own - more, in fact, than many of them!

I don't exactly know the purpose of this thread. I just know that this beautiful scent wafting from my arm compelled me to create it so that we can all share the love with Grey Flannel.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Grey Flannel - as beautiful as ever

by far one of the most disgusting fragrances i have ever had the displeasure of smelling. but if u love it then congratulations!

just goes to show ya how different tastes can be

Do try sampling it again sometime jonny in the future. You may find your tastes have changed and see something beautiful in this. Just do not go into it expecting it to be a sexy scent or something that the girls will like. It's a scent one would wear for oneself, perhaps on a day where you plan to stay in and just spend all afternoon reading. I find it evokes a dreamy, introspective state of mind.

The other key is not to over apply this scent. A little goes a long way.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I love the violet dryness.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    by far one of the most disgusting fragrances i have ever had the displeasure of smelling. but if u love it then congratulations!

just goes to show ya how different tastes can be
    Not to put this thread on a bad start, but Jonny19's opinion is narrow-minded, insensitive, and contributes nothing of value to SculpureofSoul's well-meaning OP. Yes, tastes differ, sometimes dramatically, but it would be nice to see a bit more respect of others' tastes on the Male forum - particularly when those tastes differ from your own.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I really pick up the petitgrain in the opening, and alongside the violet I get a large mimosa note - clean, green and smooth. It's a brilliant pairing. Does anyone know if mimosa and violet were paired so brilliantly prior to this? The inclusion of sage is rather ingenious too, and it is done so subtly as to go almost unnoticed but it definitely contribute to a thicker texture and offsets some of the sweetness of violet and mimosa. I am just wondering if this fragrance basically introduced a new violet accord to the world of perfumery or if that accord had been done so well before?

Also, does anyone know if the nose, Andre Fromentin, ever did any other fragrances? I can't find any info saying he did, but it seems odd he would come out with a grand-slam and then never do anything again. Maybe he was afraid he couldn't top Grey Flannel?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

This has nothing to do with my generation; I'm a huge fan of Polo, ApH, Aramis, Paco Rabanne pH, and others.

The opening is horrid to me. Sharp, abrasive, a big slap in the face; and a headache to go with it. The dry down is mediocre, but not worth enduring the 45 minute opening. The composition of notes in this are nice, but the overall result is bad. Where did they go wrong? If the opening was more toned down, I'd probably wear this.

I have a near full bottle, and I can't even use it as a room spray because it makes me ill.

in all fairness, i never gave it a fair chance on my skin. I just sniffed the bottle and was so immediately turned off that i didnt want to try it on my skin. Next time i will just for the hell of it

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Not to put this thread on a bad start, but Jonny19's opinion is narrow-minded, insensitive, and contributes nothing of value to SculpureofSoul's well-meaning OP. Yes, tastes differ, sometimes dramatically, but it would be nice to see a bit more respect of others' tastes on the Male forum - particularly when those tastes differ from your own.
    i disagree. ive made many threads showing my love for different fragrances and people have written responses much harsher then mine and i had no problem with it. Just sharing my opinion about the fragrance thats being discussed. its not like im dissing his children

I really don't want this to turn into a thread that revolves around bashing/defending Grey Flannel. It's not that I am against adverse opinions - I know a lot of people love this scent and just as many or more hate it. I just wanted a thread where those who enjoy it could discuss its merits without needing to defend it against those who don't, and may never, like it.

Actually, I probably wouldn't mind negative opinions if they could clearly articulate what they didn't like about the fragrance. Just saying "it's horrible" doesn't help because one can't even respond to that in a clear or concise way, it's just too broad.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    This has nothing to do with my generation; I'm a huge fan of Polo, ApH, Aramis, Paco Rabanne pH, and others.

The opening is horrid to me. Sharp, abrasive, a big slap in the face; and a headache to go with it. The dry down is mediocre, but not worth enduring the 45 minute opening. The composition of notes in this are nice, but the overall result is bad. Where did they go wrong? If the opening was more toned down, I'd probably wear this.

I have a near full bottle, and I can't even use it as a room spray because it makes me ill.
    I wonder if petitgrain itself or if a petitgrain synthetic causes headaches in many people. Amouage Reflection Man has a good dose of petitgrain in its opening and it too causes many people headaches. Petitgrain is a real love or hate note - the oil smells green/woody and rather aromatic. It smells a lot like a freshly snapped green bean, and is what contributes that green bean note to Les Nez's The Unicorn Spell.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I really don't want this to turn into a thread that revolves around bashing/defending Grey Flannel. It's not that I am against adverse opinions - I know a lot of people love this scent and just as many or more hate it. I just wanted a thread where those who enjoy it could discuss its merits without needing to defend it against those who don't, and may never, like it.

Actually, I probably wouldn't mind negative opinions if they could clearly articulate what they didn't like about the fragrance. Just saying "it's horrible" doesn't help because one can't even respond to that in a clear or concise way, it's just too broad.
    Hey bro. sorry if i came off rude. didnt mean anything bad by it. this thread atleast will make me test this stuff on my skin and i will look at it in a different light

Jonny, no worries. I'm not upset - I know the compulsion to post on a thread regarding a frag you really dislike! I feel that way about La Nuit de L'Homme .

It's just that I didn't open this thread with the intent of getting everyone's opinion of the scent so much as to "share the love" with those who like it, as stated in the OP. Still though, I knew that this would draw out some of the haters and that's ok. What pleases me more than anything is that you, and perhaps others as well, will now try this scent (again) and at least give it one more chance. That's what it's all about!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

man i love this stuff actually, im a highschooler too haha. Smells like to me, what the garden of eden would smell like. Really refreshing reinvigorating NATURAL and green. Just smells like sort of reminds me of waterfalls and a vibrant green plants and forests. I enjoy spraying some in my room and falling asleep in my cloud of a "rainforest" hahaha

Grey flannel is scandalously delicious! I have it and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    its not like im dissing his children
    That's funny!
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

gulp, really? Just thinking about this stuff makes me nauseous. I almost gagged just smelling the bottle. phew, I'm shuddering as I type.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I pulled this one out of the back of my rotation as I am loving violets now!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

My best friend shared this fragrance with me when we were both in our early twenties (more than ten years ago) and it has been one of my favorites ever since.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Wonderful fragrance. I would put my bottle of Grey Flannel up against, say, a bowser like Joop Homme any day.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I'm very fond of Grey Flannel, too. Inspired by your thread, I put some on for my SotE. Love the green bite plus violets!

I've always found Grey Flannel to be heavy in the opening, stiff, harsh and uncompromising. I don't like it much. I think it is the heavy use of galbanum with the violet that doesn't work well for me. But, I know many love it - but not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I've always found Grey Flannel to be heavy in the opening, stiff, harsh and uncompromising. I don't like it much. I think it is the heavy use of galbanum with the violet that doesn't work well for me. But, I know many love it - but not me.
    It is a heavy fragrance for my taste, too, but I enjoy it if I'm REALLY conservative in my application.

Thanks for bringing this up, SoS! I have loved GF sinced I first experienced it 30 years ago! Back then it was new and daring and revolutionary. And expensive! I rediscovered it a few years ago after searching for ages thinking it had been discontinued. Thank god it hadn't and thankfully it's unchanged.

You've got to love violets to love Grey Flannel. That's a given. And oak moss. It's the violets that make or break it for most people. I feel sorry for those who can't appreciate this beauty.

Is Narcisso Rodriguez an attempt at resurrecting this and bring it into the 21st century? Suspicion tends to make me think so. However there is no need, and they failed if that was their intention. Grey Flannel is timeless: I get nothing 'dated' about it.

It's been said before: if GF had never existed and Lutens introduced it now it would be hailed as a masterpiece.

Basenotes Institution

It was my grandfather's signature scent (he died back in '04) and it is inextricably tied to him in my mind. Solid, masculine, clean, precise. It's hard for me to wear it, simply because it feels like his scent. Maybe one of these days I will get a bottle for myself but for now I enjoy it from afar.

I'm not sure I use any frags from the 70's anymore. To be honest, I haven't smelled Grey Flannel in years. Thinking about it reminds of of disco dancing till all hours. It became the battle of Grey Flannel against Pierre Cardin pour homme, the standard bearer at the time of the clubs I attended! Ah, the memories, which is half the value of frags for me anyway. Eventually Drakkar Noir took them both down, but then began the decade of the 80's!!!

Is the one u like Eaud de grey flannel or grey flannel. I like the eaud one more

I'll never understand how they can still load it with oak moss with the recent limitations on it. That said, GF is an outstanding frag. My dad used to wear this one...in the 80's. Can remember the cloth pouch it came it. Mine came in a box.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post

It's been said before: if GF had never existed and Lutens introduced it now it would be hailed as a masterpiece.
    Exactly! And if Creed introduced it....

I truly enjoy Grey Flannel and the reason why I still do, after several years of owning and wearing it is the fact that, on my skin, it has a quite surprising evolution, during which not just the violet notes, but also the green-herbal, citrus and even woody ones come to light

Beautiful perfume ..so nice in winter ..so sensual , elegant ..

This thread inspires me to wear Grey Flannel tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Akalucas View Post
    Is the one u like Eaud de grey flannel or grey flannel. I like the eaud one more
    This thread is referring to the latter.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    My sentiments too! One I've repeated a couple of times last year.

In all fairness, if I'd smelled GF when I was in my teens, I'd have probably said what jonny19 said earlier. I remember hating Dior Fahrenheit for the same reason. I think you have to appreciate 'bitter, green' accords to really like GF - it's definitely not for everybody. That's why it feels 'niche' and not 'mass market'. Better packaging, a ten-fold price increase & a new name could be all it takes to relaunch it. But keep this on the low, people. We certainly do not want Bond No.9 to hear about it...

I find Grey Flannel to be somewhat similar to Lauder's Private Collection -- which was marketed for women but is arguably less feminine (and more wearable today).

Sur la Plage

I think it is a fantastic fragrance. I am sure it does not work for everyone, but I am very happy it works wonderfully for me.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It was my grandfather's signature scent (he died back in '04) and it is inextricably tied to him in my mind. Solid, masculine, clean, precise. It's hard for me to wear it, simply because it feels like his scent. Maybe one of these days I will get a bottle for myself but for now I enjoy it from afar.
    Solid, masculine, clean and precise; this is exactly how I would describe Grey Flannel myself. Love it.

Basenotes Institution

Does anyone know if the nose, Andre Fromentin, did any other fragrances? I can't seem to find any information on this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Does anyone know if the nose, Andre Fromentin, did any other fragrances? I can't seem to find any information on this.
    SOS posed the same question earlier in this thread, which prompted me to search the web for more info. Came up snake eyes. It seems mysterious for a nose to disappear after having created such a huge hit. Despite what some may say about GF, 30+ years is a helluva good run for a fragrance.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Another rainy day and I'm wearing it again!

As has been stated, frag is very subjective. One person likes it, the next doesnt. Unfortunately, I am one of those who dislike this and Fahrenheit. I guess that its that brutal opening. Its quite nauseating(IMHO) But you cant argue that theyve both been around a awful long time.

I sampled this long ago and was not too impressed with it. In hindsight, I don't think I was prepared for the unexpected dissonance between the supergreenery in the opening and the powdery florals of the heart. It just felt very thick and stuffy to me. But, I should try it again, as I know my nose has matured.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I bought Grey Flannel blind a few months ago and I absolutely hated it because of the sharp opening. I was considering just giving it away but tried it again a couple of weeks ago and it really is quite nice. It's not something I feel like using often but when I do it's stunning.

The last time I smelled Grey Flannel, I did not like it. However, this was years ago. It seemed to me to be best suited for a mature male and at the time I was 16. I may have to check it out, again. Maybe, my tastes have changed?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    ..'and if Creed introduced it', it would have been introduced in the late 1700s.
    Last edited by kbe; 15th October 2010 at 01:00 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Grey Flannel stands apart from all other fragrances in my wardrobe. My wife basically thinks most of what I own smells the same, but not Grey Flannel - she likes it more than any other fragrance I own. The violet is magnificent.

Yeah after reading some reviews on this, I was interested in it. I think its worth a try. Maybe I will buy some along with some other frags when I go on my fragrance shopping spree....whenever I get a bit more cash...

great fragrance..i will never forget the first time i smelled it, so unique yet so familiar. I love it!
    Knize Ten !

Looks like you've got a lot of company re: appreciating GF, SculptureOfSoul.

I've been on travel since this thread started, but I intend to pull out my bottle of GF as soon as I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    You've got to love violets to love Grey Flannel. That's a given. And oak moss. It's the violets that make or break it for most people. I feel sorry for those who can't appreciate this beauty.

I fell in love with Grey Flannel after smelling it in a shop. It's quite expensive and unheard of here. I'm not a fan of violets. I do not wear Le Dix, Violette de Toulouse and similar. I love, love the powdery bitter violets in Grey flannel. My husband loves and wears it and I have my own bottle. It's very comforting and clean scent without a pronounced hesperidic note- very unusual in masculine frags. There was a female similar scent "C'est la vie" by Christian Lacroix. Very, very similar - bitter, medicinal, herbal, transparent, powdery violets. I still have the powder and compare them side to side. the only difference is lavender in Grey flannel, which I'm not mad about. I mix it with K Krizia or Trussardi for women to numb the lavender and a grassy note that appears on my skin. A mix with a rosy chypre gives it a very lady like aura - smells like old style lipstick. Very masculine and classy on its own.

It's a true masterpiece and I agree it smells expensive.