Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Grey Flannel - as beautiful as ever

Beautiful perfume ..so nice in winter ..so sensual , elegant ..

This thread inspires me to wear Grey Flannel tonight.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akalucas View Post
    Is the one u like Eaud de grey flannel or grey flannel. I like the eaud one more
    This thread is referring to the latter.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Exactly! And if Creed introduced it....
    My sentiments too! One I've repeated a couple of times last year.

In all fairness, if I'd smelled GF when I was in my teens, I'd have probably said what jonny19 said earlier. I remember hating Dior Fahrenheit for the same reason. I think you have to appreciate 'bitter, green' accords to really like GF - it's definitely not for everybody. That's why it feels 'niche' and not 'mass market'. Better packaging, a ten-fold price increase & a new name could be all it takes to relaunch it. But keep this on the low, people. We certainly do not want Bond No.9 to hear about it...

I find Grey Flannel to be somewhat similar to Lauder's Private Collection -- which was marketed for women but is arguably less feminine (and more wearable today).

Sur la Plage

I think it is a fantastic fragrance. I am sure it does not work for everyone, but I am very happy it works wonderfully for me.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It was my grandfather's signature scent (he died back in '04) and it is inextricably tied to him in my mind. Solid, masculine, clean, precise. It's hard for me to wear it, simply because it feels like his scent. Maybe one of these days I will get a bottle for myself but for now I enjoy it from afar.
    Solid, masculine, clean and precise; this is exactly how I would describe Grey Flannel myself. Love it.

Basenotes Institution

Does anyone know if the nose, Andre Fromentin, did any other fragrances? I can't seem to find any information on this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Does anyone know if the nose, Andre Fromentin, did any other fragrances? I can't seem to find any information on this.
    SOS posed the same question earlier in this thread, which prompted me to search the web for more info. Came up snake eyes. It seems mysterious for a nose to disappear after having created such a huge hit. Despite what some may say about GF, 30+ years is a helluva good run for a fragrance.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Another rainy day and I'm wearing it again!

As has been stated, frag is very subjective. One person likes it, the next doesnt. Unfortunately, I am one of those who dislike this and Fahrenheit. I guess that its that brutal opening. Its quite nauseating(IMHO) But you cant argue that theyve both been around a awful long time.
    Currently wearing: Ambra Nera by Ortigia

I sampled this long ago and was not too impressed with it. In hindsight, I don't think I was prepared for the unexpected dissonance between the supergreenery in the opening and the powdery florals of the heart. It just felt very thick and stuffy to me. But, I should try it again, as I know my nose has matured.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I bought Grey Flannel blind a few months ago and I absolutely hated it because of the sharp opening. I was considering just giving it away but tried it again a couple of weeks ago and it really is quite nice. It's not something I feel like using often but when I do it's stunning.

The last time I smelled Grey Flannel, I did not like it. However, this was years ago. It seemed to me to be best suited for a mature male and at the time I was 16. I may have to check it out, again. Maybe, my tastes have changed?

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Exactly! And if Creed introduced it....
    ..'and if Creed introduced it', it would have been introduced in the late 1700s.
    Last edited by kbe; 15th October 2010 at 01:00 AM.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

Grey Flannel stands apart from all other fragrances in my wardrobe. My wife basically thinks most of what I own smells the same, but not Grey Flannel - she likes it more than any other fragrance I own. The violet is magnificent.

Yeah after reading some reviews on this, I was interested in it. I think its worth a try. Maybe I will buy some along with some other frags when I go on my fragrance shopping spree....whenever I get a bit more cash...

great fragrance..i will never forget the first time i smelled it, so unique yet so familiar. I love it!
    Knize Ten !

Looks like you've got a lot of company re: appreciating GF, SculptureOfSoul.

I've been on travel since this thread started, but I intend to pull out my bottle of GF as soon as I get home.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    You've got to love violets to love Grey Flannel. That's a given. And oak moss. It's the violets that make or break it for most people. I feel sorry for those who can't appreciate this beauty.

It's been said before: if GF had never existed and Lutens introduced it now it would be hailed as a masterpiece.
    I fell in love with Grey Flannel after smelling it in a shop. It's quite expensive and unheard of here. I'm not a fan of violets. I do not wear Le Dix, Violette de Toulouse and similar. I love, love the powdery bitter violets in Grey flannel. My husband loves and wears it and I have my own bottle. It's very comforting and clean scent without a pronounced hesperidic note- very unusual in masculine frags. There was a female similar scent "C'est la vie" by Christian Lacroix. Very, very similar - bitter, medicinal, herbal, transparent, powdery violets. I still have the powder and compare them side to side. the only difference is lavender in Grey flannel, which I'm not mad about. I mix it with K Krizia or Trussardi for women to numb the lavender and a grassy note that appears on my skin. A mix with a rosy chypre gives it a very lady like aura - smells like old style lipstick. Very masculine and classy on its own.

It's a true masterpiece and I agree it smells expensive.