Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What fragrance has left the best first impression on you??

What is that one fragrance that u smelled for the first time, whether it be on a friend, on someone else, on a card, ect, that just absolutely just wowed you and moved you and just made you think "wow. this is as good as it gets"

ive smelled alot of things and had some great first impression. smelling the naturalness of green irish tweed for the first time was really amazing. pure malt defiently lived up to the hype..

but to me, nothing has left a bigger impression on me then the first time i smelled Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male. I was in a complete loss for words the first time i smelled it. I smelled it on my friend and i was so amazed by the smell that for some reason i couldnt even build up the courage to ask him what it was for another week or so. It was by far the most amazing impression a fragrance has ever left on me, and i love wearing it knowing that i could be leaving that same impression on others.

What fragrance has left the best first impression on you?

Default Re: What fragrance has left the best first impression on you??

Eau Sauvage did this for me.

carolina herera. I was about 16 or 17. It was like a tractor beam "sucked me right in"!

GIT comes to mind first.

Well a fragrance that stood out to me recently has been musc ravageur. That stuff is wonderful, it is as if i smelled a fragrance for the first time, like i died and was reborn smelling that. I consider it the sexiest fragrance I have ever smelled, the essence of sex. The fragrance I have been looking for for quite a while, I love tobacco vanille and i find it really sexy but I think this might top it off even though they both could share the number one spot but my god this fragrance blew me away.

For me, Green Irish Tweed or Virgin Island Water, both smelled so.. Lush (For lack of a better word)... It was like smelling in 3 Dimensions after being stuck in a side scroller.

Most recent was today. After reading most good reviews on Creed's Aventus, I decided to try it.
    Didn't really expect much out of it. The SA was very helpful. Got to sample most of the Creed line.
    Went in there for Aventus and it really impressed me. Ended up getting a big bottle after trying it in store.
    4 hours later still smells very nice, hasn't changed much.
    Green Irish Tweed also left a good impression when I first got it, but I think Aventus made a better one.

It has to be Aqua di Gio. I must have been 15 ish. And I was like f*cking WOW. I've never had that sort of reaction to anything till now. I've had many, 'yeah...must get that', but never had an AdG type of reaction!

DeepSilence

Curve For Men

YSL Opium for men. I wore it when I was 16. It is warm, romantique, classic, and my first love loved it

Blog Entries

Carnal Flower. lnstant & enduring love.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Balafre - set my life on track.

Amouage Reflection. In fact, I wrote up some first impressions of a bunch of samples I had got at the time, of which Reflection was one of them, and this is what I wrote:

(find the thread here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/231...tion+%2Bheaven )

Amouage Reflection (new bottle, skin + paper test) - I think it was Jenson who said it smells like a combination of scents such as Geir, Fleur Du Male, Burberry Brit, etc. and stated the opening had the "cloud effect." Well, I don't recall Brit but Jenson was right in that it does smell like a cross between Geir and Fleur Du Male, but significantly richer and more pleasing than both. The opening is a heavenly powdery cloud of orris and orange blossom. The pepper and rosemary notes listed it in the pyramid are not perceptible on their own - they are likely used to tone down the sweetness. I don't even know what to say about this scent except that it smells heavenly - and I don't just mean it smells really really darn good. No, it is the actual aroma I'd imagine heaven to have.. or at least my heaven would have. I don't know when I'd wear this - it's rather flamboyant and definitely unisex if not leaning to the feminine side, but it is absolutely amazing. The finest and most enchanting opening I've ever come across. I have never ever been so taken aback upon an initial whiff. It seems fairly linear - it was hard to tell on skin because I had so many other scents but on paper the orange blossom faded some but other than that the basic scent seems to have remained the same, and that is perfectly fine by me. Any fans of Geir Ness, Fleur Du Male, Prada Amber, Canoe, or any other powder heavy or orange blossom heavy fragrances need to give this a sniff. Heaven.
    edit: I resampled this after washing other things off and I definitely pick up the pink pepper and other aromatics in the opening. The pink pepper, especially, is greatly contributing to the allure and sexiness of the opening - just as it does in Escada Magnetism, but here it is not swamped in aldehydes.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Green Irish Tweed

Hinoki - "You mean fragrances that I can buy can smell this good?" More samples followed ...

Knize Ten - "I *want* this. Where can I buy it?" K10 and Bandit are the two fragrances for which the decision to order a full bottle was nearly immediate, as opposed to waiting for a good deal or a convenient purchase.

D&G By Man. I was at college wasting time, and I was sitting under a tree. It was somewhat cold out, and the leaves were off the trees. It seems like a sexy scent now that I've really gotten to try it. But that day with my little sample, the first day I tried it, it felt introspective and quite evocative. Of what? I don't know. I'd never really smelled anything like it. It wasn't loud, wasn't attention seeking. It was almost like an extension of me.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

L'Heure Bleue, when I was 6 or 7. Most of my other frags I might have found *appealing* or *interesting*, but it took time to really get into them. My more recent best-first-impression was when I smelled Alain Delon's discontinued Lyra. It smacked me in the face and said "love me", so I said "OK!".
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

The vintage formulations of Antaeus, Guerlain Vetiver, Armani Eau pour Homme and Eau Sauvage

Hmm... Trussardi Inside did that for me first time I smell it. Do not use it often enymore...

Sur la Plage

Annick Goutal Sables
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I stumbled upon Penhaligon's Lp No 9 for men a while ago and sprayed it on my hand. Pleasant citrusy top, and a delicious Kouros-like drydown... I want to try this again.

Pure Malt and Encre Noire did this to me
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Once I had the guts and had overcome "conventional thinking", I was and still am totally blown away by Amouage Lyric Woman, when I smelled it on my skin.

Eau Sauvage, Guerlain Vétiver (vintage) and Serge Noire are my grand amour at first sniff.

Pure Malt... Upon first smell, I felt that the nasal windows of heaven opened up and I was hooked.... eternally. Lol.
    ***Top (favorite) 5 Frags in my Own Personal Collection***
    5. Man Eau Fraiche by Versace
    4. Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana
    3. La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2. Bvlgari Black by Bvlgari
    1. Angel Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Youtube Fragrance Reviews... with a twist at the end! www.youtube.com/user/jaironhoward
    FOLLOW ME!!! www.twitter.com/JaironHoward

MY WARDROBE: http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/

Whatever perfume my girlfriend in 10th grade wore...
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

LE LABO - Rose 31. I think I could wear this perfume everyday,unfortunately I have just sample vials.

First impression: Trussardi uomo, I was 16.
    From Italy

Since becoming a BNer, I have to say Yatagan, without a doubt. Before joining, Aramis and my Aunt Louise's L' Heure Bleu.

when i started out it was Jacomo de jacomo rouge and Baldessarini Concentrate. i like those two even now. off late it has been Guerlain's Bois de Armenie, PG's Intrigrant Patchouli, Guerlain Heritage EdP & Hitoires de Parfums Noir Patchouli.

Perhaps Geir. After that I could see its another face, but somehow at the first time I felt some ethereal beauty.

Creed MI

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Well a fragrance that stood out to me recently has been musc ravageur.
    I just smelled this today for the first time & my God WOW.

Lately it hasn't been just one. THEY are :
    - the Infidels
    - Amouage Harrods Ltd Edition Man edp
    - Amouage Harrods Salalah Green edp

Hermes' Rocabar. It opened my eyes to the world of serious fragrance: the idea that fragrance could be savored.

L'eau D'issey, Pour Monsier Concentree.

A fragrance that I would love to revisit is Lacoste Elegance. For some reason it has stuck to me. I gave my bottle to an old friend but I certainly want to own another bottle soon. A very sexy unisex smell.

colonia assoluta

For me, I must say Old Spice Classic Cologne. I am just a "youngster" and had never smelled it before. I had used old spice classic body wash and loved it though....so one day in the drug store I saw that shiny metallic red box, opened it up, popped off that little red cap with the star on it and sniffed it. I was hypnotized!! I bought a bottle of it along with the matching deodorant, I totally dig this scent. Now it's one if my favorites!! .........Im on a horse.

Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle, to this day still the greatest smelling fragrance I've ever smelt.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I'm gonna sound like a pretentious blah blah blah, but almost every first impression I have is sort of like this: "Hmmm I really like this aspect, however, I wish it was a little more ______...." OR "Hmm, I really like this, but this smells a lot like ______"

You get the picture. I'm never wowed until an actual wearing.

But if I had to give an answer I'd say GIT.

It was A*Men. Up to that point everything I had smelled was somewhat mainstream and subsequently boring. I remember thinking "Wow I didn't know cologne could smell like this!"

As mentioned, Amouage Reflection was definitely my most "OMG, that is AMAZING!" moment, but I do have to give credit to GIT. I tried this scent long before Reflection and it didn't immediately knock my socks off. Originally, I thought - hey, this is pretty good, actually very nice - but then as the iris of the heart came out, along with the lemon verbena and hints of ambergris from the base, I was bowled over. I remember thinking "I didn't know fragrances could be this good!!?!"
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

L'Instant de Guerlain...just received my first bottle and I don't think that I'll put it down...smells absolutely amazing.

Tubereuse Criminelle, Carnal Flower, Luxe: Champaca... In that order. And I still love all three.

Many have made me think 'that's really good, gotta buy this' on first sniff.

Only one has sent my head into a loop. Ambre Narguile.

A*men!!!!!!!!!

Penhaligon's English Fern.

fountain

giorgio for men by giorgio beverly hills

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    As mentioned, Amouage Reflection was definitely my most "OMG, that is AMAZING!" moment, but I do have to give credit to GIT. I tried this scent long before Reflection and it didn't immediately knock my socks off. Originally, I thought - hey, this is pretty good, actually very nice - but then as the iris of the heart came out, along with the lemon verbena and hints of ambergris from the base, I was bowled over. I remember thinking "I didn't know fragrances could be this good!!?!"
    Sculpture, I was ready to slap you five on your reflection mention, but you had to go and ruin your rant with a GIT mention. lol These two cannot be mentioned in the same breath. Let the other basenote loons ride the GIT bandwagon. You and I both know GIT can't stand beside Reflection. It is easily the most polished, refined, and sophisticated fragrance I have ever smelled! This, Ambre Narguile, and Declaration Cologne are probably my best first impressions.

Years ago:
    Chanel Egoiste
    DKMEN Original

Recently:
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    A Taste of Heaven By Kilian

Voyage d Hermes
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Sculpture, I was ready to slap you five on your reflection mention, but you had to go and ruin your rant with a GIT mention. lol These two cannot be mentioned in the same breath. Let the other basenote loons ride the GIT bandwagon. You and I both know GIT can't stand beside Reflection. It is easily the most polished, refined, and sophisticated fragrance I have ever smelled! This, Ambre Narguile, and Declaration Cologne are probably my best first impressions.
    lol, well, I did mention that I smelled GIT first. At the time I came across GIT, it was one of the best things I had smelled to that point.

I admit, I still think GIT is pretty damn good.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Annick Goutal Sables
    ..me too!
    +Ambre Sultan

v&r antidote

Most satisfying and surprising first impressions happened when I was new with niche. Santal Noble, Piper Nigrum and Eau d'Hiver were especially memorable.

versace dreamer for me still to this day when i wear this im constantly sniffing my wrist something about it just makes me want to eat my self lol
    also had a great first impression with a*men id never smelt anything like it when i first tried it it was so thick and dense and a bit like spraying pure chocalate sauce on your wrist
    Current top 5

1 spiriteuse double vanille
    2 musc ravageur
    3 versace dreamer
    4 chanel allure
    5 new haarlem

recently, profumi del forte's tirrenico
    it's a very unique water type of scent and it's incredibly tenacious.

Cool Water
    Acqua Di Gio
    Le Mallay
    Burberry London
    Live Jazz
    Chanel Allure Homme

Diptyque's Eau Lente left me feeling 'wow', bought it immediately, my mother loved it so much i gave my bottle to her.