Code of Conduct

Default You Enjoy Ambers, EXCEPT...

This is a question intended for those who like or love amber-centered fragrances.

Instead of asking which ambers you like, I am curious which ones you dislike. And why? (If you can pinpoint it.)

Default Re: You Enjoy Ambers, EXCEPT...

This is a great question! And an easy one to answer, to boot.

Ambre Sultan

Every time I've worn this fragrance, any enjoyment of it has been thwarted by a peculiar Play-Do note. It's salty, astringent, and it brings with it associations I just don't want in a fragrance.

For a fragrance that brings all of the good of the Sultan with none of bad, it's Ambre 114.

Sur la Plage

I can't think of an amber that I have met and didn't like.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

+1 for Ambre Sultan; l was distinctly underwhelmed with this. lt's just too herbal & dry for my taste, & the sillage & longevity are disappointing on me.

The absolute worst, though, is Black Amber by Michelle Bergman; sharp, weak patchouli for most of it's life before fizzling out in a faint puff of vanilla. Little sillage, no satisfying richness to it, it's just...meh.

Apologies to those who love these!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    That was my initial thought too, but on further reflection there is one for me. Mazzolari's Ambra, but it really didn't strike me as an amber scent at all; more of a powdery scent. And I do like several of this houses offerings (e.g., Lui, Patchouli, Zagara)

And one more: Montale's Amber and Spices, as any amber is overwhelmed by spice.

All of them! Amber is great, but not when it is the "star of the show." I mix Etro's Ambra with other frags.

I love ambers, but I can think of two that didn't work for me. Neil Morris Burnt Amber is too strong and too, well, burnt. (I *so* wanted to like that one, too!) And I am a fan of L'Artisan Ambre Extreme, but their L'Eau d'Ambre is thin and somewhat unpleasant to my nose.

I agree on Burnt Amber! Actually, it doesn't even smell like amber to me - more like sawdust and some strange plum chutney.

I was thrilled about Cerutti 1881 Amber at first, but now it smells a bit too sweaty, fleshy and heavily floral to me

Another one for Ambre Sultan.... it's waaaaaaaaaay too sweet for me.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    +1.

Ambre Sultan disappointed me initially. Based on all the buzz, I was expecting this tour de force in amber, the Sultan of Amber-centric fragrances. I was expecting "Serge Lutens' Concerto for Amber" in which Amber would be the center-stage-featured performer and the rest of the orchestra would provide an accompaniment, the foil against which the Amber would shine. But, after wearing it some and thinking about it, I realized just that not only is it not an Amber Concerto, its really not strictly and amber-centric fragrance. It's much more of a chamber work in which Amber is a key performer in the ensemble, but not the featured solist.

With expectations properly set, I have come to like Ambre Sultan. It's not my favorite, but I do like it.
    Last edited by Gollnick; 15th October 2010 at 03:34 AM.

G2....... like Amber dipped in maple syrup, rolled in cane sugar, then dusted with powdered sugar and finally sprayed with a thick coat of high fructose corn syrup.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Blue Amber, because it's too muddled with vanillic sweetness. I like 'em dry.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    That was my initial thought too, but on further reflection there is one for me. Mazzolari's Ambra, but it really didn't strike me as an amber scent at all; more of a powdery scent. And I do like several of this houses offerings (e.g., Lui, Patchouli, Zagara)

And one more: Montale's Amber and Spices, as any amber is overwhelmed by spice.
    I haven't tried either one of them.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

oh boy, Prada "amber" was a real surprise!

;-)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Ambre Narguile - cinnamon over the top and sweet, foody - quite disgusting!
    Amber Absolute - too rough on my skin. I just could not enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    oh boy, Prada "amber" was a real surprise!
    Yeah, Prada "Amber" is one "amber" fragrance I've tried so far that I really didn't like.

Sonoma Scent Studios Amber Noir is another that I really didn't like much either

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Ambre Sultan
    Every time I've worn this fragrance, any enjoyment of it has been thwarted by a peculiar Play-Do note.
    YES! It is the Play-Do note that turns me off to it also. I was hoping for something like Ambre Russe as it was my first Amber frag but was sadly disappointed by the Salton..

+1 on Ambre Sultan, which is completely OTT, and
    +1 on Ambre Narguile, because it actually smells like cinnamon rolls...
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Amber Absolute - too rough on my skin. I just could not enjoy it.
    I have not worn this yet, but what struck me is how it stained the test card I sprayed. More than most things I have sprayed on cards.

AromiErotici

Since everyone is mentioning niche, I'll mention a no-frills designer.Revlon's Fire & Ice for Men is an amber dominant scent on me......and too much of a good thing. I like it, yet it's difficult for me to wear as a standalone fragrance.

I have found that by layering this with other ( very) strong, dry masculines, it bleeds through enough to recognize it, but also embellishes the other scent by giving it the sweetness it lacked in the first place.

Ambre sultan was the worst amber that i have tried until today. To me this one smells like musty wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Since everyone is mentioning niche, I'll mention a no-frills designer.Revlon's Fire & Ice for Men is an amber dominant scent on me
    Yes, I was surprised that designer's haven't been mentioned much here.

Basenotes Plus

+1 on Hermessence Ambre Narguille. I love eating cinnamon & raisin rolls but I don't wish to smell like one.

Also +1 on Prada Amber. Seriously, wt_?

One that I thought would get mentioned here, but has not is Baldessarini Ambré.

I have never assessed it, but the percentage of neutral and negative reviews is pretty high.

Blog Entries

I have never assessed it, but the percentage of neutral and negative reviews is pretty high.
    Actually l bought the shower gel in TK Maxx last week expecting it to be an amber scent, but it's not! lt was only later when l checked the reviews that l realised amber is not listed in the notes. lt smells of whisky, go figure! That's why l didn't mention it here as l didn't think it would count. The name is very misleading indeed!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Actually l bought the shower gel in TK Maxx last week expecting it to be an amber scent, but it's not! lt was only later when l checked the reviews that l realised amber is not listed in the notes. lt smells of whisky, go figure! That's why l didn't mention it here as l didn't think it would count. The name is very misleading indeed!
    You are correct about the posted list of notes. A good number of the reviewers mention amber, that's why I mentioned it. I can't speak from personal experience, having only sprayed it on a card several years ago and never have worn it.

Another vote for Ambre Sultan I'm afraid. I'm a big fan of Lutens in general, but I just can't get into this one.

That's one of my favorite scents.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Even though Basenotes doesnt list it, amber is one of the notes according to Baldessarini's website. But the amber note isnt very prominant, it sorta lies underneath everything, giving the fragrance a warm aura.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Sur la Plage

I guess I didn't think of it because I personally don't consider it an amber fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Another vote for Ambre Sultan I'm afraid. I'm a big fan of Lutens in general, but I just can't get into this one.
    My feelings exactly.

An amber frag that is another for me being waaaayyy too sweet as well as too feminine is Versace Man ...the purple bottle one. Coincidentally this morning I had a female friend visit me, we hung out for a few hours and she took a quick shower before she left, knows I have nice cologne collection. Asked if there was anything she could wear 'girly' enough for her as she put it.

So I pulled out the VM, sprayed some paper to let her smell it and she went nuts over it and gave herself a spray. I told her I don't think I'd ever wear it again cause it's too sweet and feminine but that it smelled great on her. She begged me to buy it from me, it was about 75% of a 50ml... and I relented and just gave it to her, though. I got it dirt cheap anyway from some guy cleaning his closet.

So it's time to amend the old wardrobe....heh
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Off-Scenter

L'Eau d'Ambre and Ambre Extrême, for starters - both are bland and characterless to my nose. Then Ambre Narguilé, which to me is not so much amber as fruitcake, and Aoud Ambre, which smells to me more like an olfactory accident than a coherent composition.

(As a point of reference, my favorite ambers are Ambre Sultan, Ambre Précieux, and Ambre Russe.)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Blue Amber, because it's too muddled with vanillic sweetness. I like 'em dry.
    BA is the closest I've come to not liking an amber. I don't hate it, but it is just too plain sweet. I appreciate it though, but hardly find a good time to wear it now.

One that has distinctively left me a little underwhelmed is Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata. Not bad, but underwhelming. Maybe I expect too much.

Blue Amber is mediocre amber on me. Not bad, not good, just very redundant.

+1 for Ambre Sultan. Something about it just turns sour on my skin after an hour.

Teddius