Code of Conduct

Smile Arabian oil, oudh, mukhallat for beginners

I am relatively new to Arabian perfumes. I had the pleasure of marvelling a fragrance when a store keeper selling stuff from the Middle East applied a wee bit of Swiss Arabian Mukhallat maliki on my wrist and I really liked it very much!
    That prompted me to order some more mukhallats:

Haneen -Ajmal not so good
    Azhab from Ajmal - ok
    Mukhallat 2000 Haramain - not so good
    Fairouz Arabian Oud - very good
    Makkah blend - Abdus Samad Al Qurashi - good
    White Musk - ASAQ - fair
    Alif Lail O Lail - Ajmal - ok
    Dehl al Oudh Moatteq Ajmal - ok
    Zinobia - Rasasi - not so good
    Taqwa - Asgharali - ok
    Woody - Arabian Oud - very good

Since this is going to be an expensive passionate hobby, can I request the experts to recommend me some based on my above preferences and liking?
    Thank you.

Default Re: Arabian oil, oudh, mukhallat for beginners

Hi there,

I am not aware of any of these (except maybe Haneen, which is a mukh for females), and I agree that Mukhallat Maliki is lovely!
    I would recommend you get in touch with the member AbuBakr (on Basenotes). He's the local mukhallats' don here! I'm sure he'll be able to help.

Thank you very much Taha!

smh this is a great thread on basenotes that I dug up looking for Arabian oils as well, it's packed full of great info and links as well to some really cool stores and overseas (to me at least being in the U.S.) locales.

I haven't actually ordered anything yet I was thinking of hitting up theperfumedcourt first to try a few because they are a tad on the pricey side for some.

BTW if anyone feels like hooking a noobie up with some amouage jubilation xxv even a tiny bit or anything arabian at all ouds, oils etc pm me plz!! The reviews have transformed me into a monster lol.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

My first advice stay with-in ASAQ, Arabian Oud and Amouage. All are pricey but there should more hits then misses. My second advice , most of the good stuff comes in decant bottles not the fancy pre-packaged stuff except Amouage which all oils are in pre packaged bottles. Lastly, you get what you pay for. All of these advices are not absolute but just recomendations.

I believe Arabian style perfumes excell like a 3 star Michallene resuraunt that excells in simple food that concentrates on great ingrediants. There are arabian perfumes that have many ingrediants and are really just blends of stuff. French perfumery is great for innovation and artistry, arabian perfumery really gets its best when few ingrediants are used but those ingrediants are the best of the best.

Thank you Abubakr.
    Can you recommend a few based on my preferences? Among the list I mentioned, I liked Fairouz, Woody (Arabian Oud) and
    ASAQ Makkah blend (sample ordered but leaked out before I could really test it but it did smell good). The best way to know
    is of course ordering samples, but more often than not samples for the top-of-the-line are generally not available.
    Any advice/suggestions will be appreciated.

More accessible, Kilian's Cruel Intentions has oud and Canadian perfumer, Ayala Moriel has scents with oud, beach harvested ambergris, and other exotic oils. I ordered samples and received very quickly. I'm a bit of a Queen of Sheba type and I love her taste and personal touch.

I strongly second what Abubakr has said.

Stick with the major brands such as ASAQ, Arabian Oud, and Amouage. I would also include Ajmal and Yas: The Royal House of Perfumes in that group. Other brands such as Swiss Arabian, Asgharali and Rasasi are generally regarded as lower quality than the others. Junaid is also good, but their oils aren't as immediately likeable as those by other houses.

The better stuff from these houses usually (but not always, I find Ajmal packaged blends quite good) comes decanted from larger bottles rather than prepackaged. You buy these by the tola (~12ml), half tola (~6ml), or quarter tola (~3ml). Don't be put off by the small amounts. A little goes a long way, and by buying smaller amounts you can buy better products.

I would also say that there is a strong correlation between price and quality. You might prefer a less expensive product over a more expensive one, but objectively speaking, the more expensive one will be made of higher quality ingredients.

I also agree that the better quality traditional Arabian style perfumes generally use few ingredients. The top quality ones are usually all oud, or a blend of oud and amber, or oud, amber, and patchouli, or something like that. This allows the quality and character of the ingredients to come through. It is usually the cheaper products that contain more ingredients.

I have found that in more expensive blends using higher quality ingredients the emphasis in on the oud. Other ingredients such as amber, musk, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood, etc. are used in very small amounts and only in supporting roles to enhance the oud. They aren't used to create accords, as in European perfumery.

I'm familiar with some of the products you have tested. I know Woody, Taqwa, Dehn Al Oud Moattaq, Alf Lail o Lail, ASAQ White Musk, and ASAQ Makkah blend. Your preferences appear to be for the lighter blends overall. Of the ones I know I like Dehn Al Oud Moattaq and Makkah blend the best, while my least favorite is Woody. I typically prefer the heavier, stronger blends and don't spend much time with the lighter ones, so I don't think I can recommend much for you.

Since you like Woody the most, you might try some of the oud based products by Montale. These are Arabian style perfumes but generally are lighter and less resinous than the typical Arabian oil perfume. I must admit, however, that I am not a big fan of Montale perfumes. Some of the cheaper (usually around $20-$30) sprays by Ajmal can be quite good, especially for the money, and you might like them.

I am not a fan of clean, white musks. I much prefer more animalic musks. Try Ajmal's AA Black Musk Ghazelle for an incredibly dirty musk, or even better, ASAQ's Black Musk Ghazelle, which is much more expensive, but combines the strong animalic notes with more floral notes and is more refined than the Ajmal. You probably won't like these, but they are definitely interesting to experience!

A couple that I can recommend are Ajmal Khallab and Arabian Oud Al-Qasr. Al-Qasr is a reasonably priced mukhallet in which the oud is tempered with other notes and therefore more accessible for many people. It is one of Arabian Oud's better blends sold at a decent price. Khallab is excellent, a more serious mukhallet with more stuffing than Al-Qasr. It is a little spicy, and doesn't contain the strong rose note that is found in Dehn Al Oud Moattaq. I have recently begun exploring the house of Yas, and am impressed with their products (I own Abu Sultan and Abu Khalifa), so you might try some of them if you can find them.

Good luck and welcome to Basenotes!

noggs

Thanks to Abubakr, kalynne and Noggs for their input and good advice. I am so glad that Noggs took his time and replied at great length! I read many of your posts before I became a Basenotes member - been reading since last year! This is similar to a sitaution when one of the contemporaries during prophet Muhammad's time (peace be on him) travelled a great distance to one of Muhammad's companion's house to learn about the sayings of the prophet. He reached there at night and stayed outside the companion's house without knocking at the door out of respect to his knowledge and position. In the morning during the morning prayers, when the companion opened the house door, he found this gentleman waiting for him to answer his questions!
    So here I have some good advice and suggestions from all of you. I WILL experiment as Noggs has advised and take it from there.
    Thanks again all you Basenotes members and gurus!

I've seen most of these sites, but was unsure. Thanks to y'all, I won't be scared!

I am also a newbie in Arabic perfumery, but have been interested in trying, so I'll check the suggestions above.
    While on vacation, I happened in an Arabian Oud store. I purchased two (the spelling is certainly wrong):
    Dehn Al Oud Syoufi (aged oud)
    Mukhallat Al Azriya (?) (oud with some flowers, not rose)
    I really love both (despite the price).

I also got some samples through Zahra's perfumes.
    Al Qureishi (ASAQ from now on) Dehn al oud cambodi muattak (just a drop, I haven't tried it on. just smelling the vial, there are some strong varnish notes, which I think will disappear when on skin)
    ASAQ Royal Jasmine (nice indolic jasmine)
    ASAQ White musk (good, clean sparkly, though simple)
    Swiss Arabian Mukhallat Shahama (sweet-balsamic-woody-ambery mix, quite good)
    Ajmal Mukhallat (?) (sweet oud, also good)
    ASAQ Al Mawwiya (green, floral, even with a hint of fruit like tangerine. Very strange, the notes individually are quite good, but somehow, they don't really blend together)
    I had wanted to purchase ASAQ Al Basha (which was on offer), but by mistake they shipped the spray, not the oil. The oil was described as woody intense oud, but it must have been quite different from the spray, which is a horrid "sport" woody stuff I sent back right away. So now I have a credit with them.

Based on my experiences so far, would anyone have any suggestion for what I can try?

I am especially interested in a rose-oud mix, which I understand is quite traditional. At the Arabian oud store, I smelled some, but didn't really pay attention. Some (the cheaper varieties) were quite sweet. Also, the rose differed, some had a deep rose (like, say, Nahema or Rive Gauche), others a light citrusy one.

Thank-you!
    cacio

Welcome to Basenotes Cacio!
    You can try Fairouz by Arabian Oud, though it's not easily available and is being discontinued. The mukhallat maliki by Swiss Arabian is also nice.
    By the way, could you please name the perfume house for dehn al Oud Syoufi and mukhallat al Azriya?
    Thanks.

smh

Thanks for the suggestions, smh!

The dehn al Oud Syoufi and the mukhallat al Azriya are both from Arabian Oud. I bought them at the Arabian Oud store in Paris. I'm not sure how the names are spelled.

cacio

I too am a beginner when it comes to Arabian perfumes. But I do want to mention that there is a social group here for persons with an interest in oudhs: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=15
    I am blown away by the knowledge and expertise the members share in that group.
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

Yes, I have been reading pages and pages of useful information there. I still have not finished reading!
    The knowledge of some members is astounding!

Can anyone recommend some very strong Mukhallats? heavy in oudh but not too heavy in Amber Thanks

Swiss Arabian Mukhallat Malaki has nuclear sillage and persistence. It's a strong synthetic oudh with rose and a little saffron, and little amber. There was a thread on this a few months ago, so you can probably read it too for more ideas.

Of course, this is not one of the top quality, true oudhs, but the quality is excellent for the price. True oudhs would cost 10 times as much, and they probably don't have the persistence of the synthetics.

cacio

Thank you dear friend...I am a woman but yes, I wear Mukhallat Malaki by Swiss Arabian.

Do you have any other ideas? I have started a new thread on this too by the way.

Much love, DesertRose x

Quote Originally Posted by smh View Post
    I am relatively new to Arabian perfumes. I had the pleasure of marvelling a fragrance when a store keeper selling stuff from the Middle East applied a wee bit of Swiss Arabian Mukhallat maliki on my wrist and I really liked it very much!
    That prompted me to order some more mukhallats:

Haneen -Ajmal not so good
    Azhab from Ajmal - ok
    Mukhallat 2000 Haramain - not so good
    Fairouz Arabian Oud - very good
    Makkah blend - Abdus Samad Al Qurashi - good
    White Musk - ASAQ - fair
    Alif Lail O Lail - Ajmal - ok
    Dehl al Oudh Moatteq Ajmal - ok
    Zinobia - Rasasi - not so good
    Taqwa - Asgharali - ok
    Woody - Arabian Oud - very good

Since this is going to be an expensive passionate hobby, can I request the experts to recommend me some based on my above preferences and liking?
    Thank you.
    Bhakoor Khas is also a good medium priced Hindi from Ajmal.

Bhakoor Khas is pure agar oil then?