Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions on Coco Chanel for men..

hi

if i like (original) Coco by chanel, can anyone suggest a similar fragrance for this? i love the spiced balmy air and most of the body of this scent, but though i love many female fragrances, this one is a bit too feminine for my taste/use

thanks!!
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Re: Suggestions on Coco Chanel for men..

I'd be interested in what you all think to be the best floriental, generally. Byzance has apparently been discontinued so I'll need a replacement at some point...

try Tabac Man
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

I love Coco too. But there's a quality to it that is just too female, that is, for a man to wear...out in public and all. I often wear it to bed for literal sweet dreams.

Your sheets must smell like heaven! I do that same thing with Giorgio from time to time.

I don`t think that there`s a similar one in the male side - this kind of fragrance focused on amber and balsams was more explored in 80`s feminine fragrances. What you`ll have close to this, but more ambered, less complex and more sweet, is the unissex offer from Jean Paul Gaultier, Gaultier 2. But it`s very distant yet from Coco Chanel - i`d get the original, don`t see why you need to find something that is similar, since similar isn`t 100% satisfying in general.

Which version of Coco did you try? The EDT is more feminine, floral, while the EDP is more balsamic and spicy.

Sur la Plage

Coco Chanel - with the label removed from the bottle
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    I'd be interested in what you all think to be the best floriental, generally. Byzance has apparently been discontinued so I'll need a replacement at some point...
    o really? i've just tried this and it smells really good.. you prefer the EDT or EDP? i think i liked the EDP more if i remember right
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chanel Coromandel is more unisex, especially the dry down.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Which version of Coco did you try? The EDT is more feminine, floral, while the EDP is more balsamic and spicy.
    i think i have tested both and yes, if i remember right prefer the more balsamic EDP.. will have to revisit it again one of these days and maybe my open minded nose will be more openminded to include this in my collection :P

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    +1 on that
    I smell marshmallows!

Antaeus

- it was noted a long time ago by Polge that he drew inspiration upon the basenotes of his Antaeus for base of Coco. I recall he noted that Antaeus had a very baroque feel with beeswax and amber oak moss spice.

I know I tried it along time ago Coco on one arm and Antaeus on the other for the first hour they smelled nothing alike but once Antaeus leather wore off and Coco's floral - I could see the comparison.

Basenotes Plus

Just wear Coco and be happy you smell so divine. I've worn quite a few Chanels - Cristalle, No.19, Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie & 31 rue Cambon. Nobody has ever told me they smell too feminine on me, not even from guys I know can be real blunt jackasses.

Quote Originally Posted by cmk20 View Post
    i think i have tested both and yes, if i remember right prefer the more balsamic EDP.. will have to revisit it again one of these days and maybe my open minded nose will be more openminded to include this in my collection :P
    If you want something similar, focused on the drydown, and don`t mind to buy a dupe, this site has great dupes:
    http://wholesalebodyoils.com/
    I have one of coco chanel, it has an intense sillage and longevity on skin, and it`s more focused on the base of coco chanel. It`s a cheap alternative if what you want is something close but focused on the drydown. The only minus is that it leaves the skin oily, but you can buy perfumer alcohool, which is not expensive, and dilute it.

Thumbs up Re: Suggestions on Coco Chanel for men..

One of the beautiful realities about fragrance, is that it is personal. It is often thought, that people wear fragrance for their spouse, friend, or significant other, to enjoy, which is quite the contrary. Take for instance, when you fix your hair, get your clothes pressed, or in general, you make certain that you are presentable, because it is what makes YOU feel good about yourself. This is the same principle with fragrance. Sure, certain notes are known to be more "feminine" than others, however, as most of you know, with men or women, the same fragrance can dry down differently from person to person. If you enjoy a fragrance, regardless if it is thought to be feminine, and you enjoy wearing it, WEAR IT! Who cares what people think? I do not. Enjoy your fragrance.

Yes, I know you purists will disagree but here goes.
    I put on some Jacomo de Jacomo which is a very smokey masculine fragrance. I don't wear it often, because it's a bit too linear and when you put it on, you're committed to it from top to basenote. I thought, this is so dry...it needs a little sweet. My eyes fell on my bottle of Coco. I layered them. Voila! Coco really complimented the Jacomo and the Jacomo really tempered a lot of Coco's super femme sweetness. And yet, it still smelled more or less like Coco. But more like Coco's brother. It was a total success. I will definitely feel less self conscious about wearing Coco now that I've found her some male drag. I love her, but damn she's a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by colormechris View Post
    Yes, I know you purists will disagree but here goes.
    I put on some Jacomo de Jacomo which is a very smokey masculine fragrance. I don't wear it often, because it's a bit too linear and when you put it on, you're committed to it from top to basenote. I thought, this is so dry...it needs a little sweet. My eyes fell on my bottle of Coco. I layered them. Voila! Coco really complimented the Jacomo and the Jacomo really tempered a lot of Coco's super femme sweetness. And yet, it still smelled more or less like Coco. But more like Coco's brother. It was a total success. I will definitely feel less self conscious about wearing Coco now that I've found her some male drag. I love her, but damn she's a girl!
    That's an interesting combo. I would never have thought of layering Jacomo with anything, since it's such a strong, dry scent. Coco is really strong too, though. You don't find this combo overpowering?

I also like Coco, but it's too feminine smelling for me to want to walk around all day smelling it on myself. It's one I prefer smelling someone else wearing.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Supposedly the vintage formula of Coco was a lot spicier, woodier, and less floral. If you can track down an older bottle perhaps give it a try, but otherwise, I'll echo what petruccijc said: Ignore the label and just wear it. Go easy on the dosage, wait for the aldehydic "perfuminess" of the scent to die down before going out in public if you're self-conscious, dress like a lumberjack and grow some manly stubble if need be...but wear that Coco and enjoy, because she is lovely.

Blog Entries

+3 on that.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Basenotes Institution

Just apply Coco lightly. I prefer the EdP.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I like and wear coco mademoiselle.

Shamu, et al...
    The Coco-Jacomo combo (sounds like a Cuban conga band!) was about a 60-30 Jacomo to Coco ratio. I applied to forearms and collarbone area before getting dressed, so that the clothes would be something of a barrier. It all worked...I didn't feel like I reeked. The sillages and projections worked well together too.

I am a guy and I recently started wearing Coco. My friends smelled me and they said I smelled really good. One of them who was a girl said: mmm too masculine (she was serious). When I told her it was meant for women she was astounted. She said: "I would never wear that!".
    Conclusion: If you like it, wear it. Coco is for everyone.

Coco is almost pure ylang-ylang, no wonder you like it (I love it too) this indian flower is known for its therapeutical properties.
    If I were you I'd look for ylang-ylang and amber combo in a fragrance.

Just wear Coco....I'm wearing it today, just go lighter on the spray pump.