Code of Conduct

Default Homme De Gres by Grès

Gentlemen,

I would like to ask those of you who have this discontinued fragrance your opinions?

I may have found a bottle and need input.

Thanks in advance,

Koala.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AromiErotici

Default Re: Homme De Gres by Grès

Gres opens with citrus, petitgrain and a dominant lavender note. This particular lavender isn't the harsh variety by any means. It's soft and transparent ; followed by an uncoventional woody heart that possesses a green halo. I don't get the florals or patchouli for that matter, but the rosewood and cedar with fern are lighthearted and harmonious.

The anamalic leather, moss and tonka in the base are gentlemen as well. This is in keeping with the overall volume from the beginning and I must say it's nice to come across a fragrance that has these terrific notes and isn't loud. This would be a very appropriate office or close-quarters fragrance.

It's one of the two Gres fragrances I have in my collection. I have the 125ml, but haven't taken it out in years. Can't even remember now what it smells like so not much help - sorry. It's hard to come by so if you have the opportunity to get it and the price is right you might want to snatch it for its rarity. Others will be able to compare it to a contemporary perhaps for you to judge.

Incidentally, this was my sotd yesterday.

Doesn't knock my socks off as far as 'wow factor', however it is a good masculine lemon especially for warmer weather. The citrus is there but does not dominate the smokey herbs and wood. Overall, it's similar to Lancome Trophee. The smoke/herbs remind me of how they come across in both Francesco Smalto pour Homme and Geo Ttrumper's Eucris. Good stuff.

I got it cheap in a blind buy from Strawberrynet. It's okay, I wear it occasionally in summer, it does a good job - but there are lots of other scents I'd rather grab than it.
    Renato

Its a decent fragrance overall. But somehow the the overall accord in the drydown doesn't please me. I have a hard time with citrus fragrances ( of the "old school" variety), so perhaps this is a genre that is not for me.

I do really like the lemon blast in the opening, but other than that, I can leave this Gres offering. It's a fragrance that seems to wear close to the wearer, so perhaps it could work well in certain situations.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Thank you all for your comments. It's great to be able to ask and use the knowledge on this forum.

I might pass on this one.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have the notes for this one? It shares a lot in common with Habit Rouge. This one doesn't have the strong spice though, and instead has strong wood. I think I'm at the point where mids are going into base, and leather is emerging, so I'll update later.

UPDATE: A couple hours later, about 4 hours after first application, and it strikes me as a leather/wood combination, like they merged into one another. The strong citrus that starts it off is still going, though not nearly as strong, and there is also a bit of a peppery/fizzy quality that's still going on. I like how it starts as a non-floral Habit Rouge and stays consistent, unlike HR. Just a touch of sweetness and definitely "old," with that raspy/blossomy thing, though it does soften up a bit and gets "comfortable." I can see the appeal of this one, but not for the young/"fresh"/aquatic crowd, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 25th January 2012 at 02:55 AM.