Code of Conduct

Default What Are The Most Synthetic Frags And The Least Synthetic Frags?

I have been learning a lot from the forums and community here about fragrances. Thank you for all the advice and help. What are the most synthetic fragrances available on the market today? What are the least synthetic/most natural fragrances available? I would like to sample from each camp to discover what olfactory differences there are and the variations in each. I am wondering how synthetic notes smell as compared to natural smelling ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What Are The Most Synthetic Frags And The Least Synthetic Frags?

If you want something new and synthetic try Givenchy Play or some of the Big Pony series.. or just get any Hugo Boss (except Baldessarini)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

To me, scents like Le Male and Pi smell VERY synthetic....I would assume something along the Creeds is more natural

creed colognes are pretty damn natural, ralph lauren and most designers to me are synthetic.

The most synthetic ... obviously This Company Molecule 01 and 02 and Escentric 01 and 02 . Terre D'Hermes is a migraine in a bottle AFAIC

Post Thanks / Like

There are a number of perfumers who work exclusively with natural materials. A few that come to mind are Ayala Moriel (who posts here regularly), Dawn Spencer Hurwitz (who includes synthetics in some of her fragrances, while others are exclusively natural), Mandy Aftel, Abdes Salam Attar, and Anya's Garden.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by mark_cole321 View Post
    I have been learning a lot from the forums and community here about fragrances. Thank you for all the advice and help. What are the most synthetic fragrances available on the market today? What are the least synthetic/most natural fragrances available? I would like to sample from each camp to discover what olfactory differences there are and the variations in each. I am wondering how synthetic notes smell as compared to natural smelling ones.
    The question isn't precise. There are a lot of synthetics that are very close to naturals. At least they offer the same effect. And there are too such that offer new effect that nature never has served us with.

Some very synthetic frags are of magnificent and too of all pleasing quality (Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise) while naturals can come out quite challengeing (mine for instance ;-) Third to that humans tend to describe smells by reminiscence to (imaginative) natural aromas, the infamous "notes". A supernatural synthetic as safraleine can be described as leather, skin or saffron. I've got it here. It damn stinks the hell out of it! If you smell "Dzing!" once in a while, may be you get it? It is very prominent in Tom Of Finland of Etat Libre D'Orange. In the hand of a skilled perfumer it easily blooms to a strange and beguiling experience.

For a synthetic OD get your hands on some Odeur 71 by Commes des Garçons. It has been said that 71 contains the largest concentration of the aroma chemical Hedione (Methyl Dihydrojasmonate) ever present in a commercially made fragrance. It smells buttery and clean, all at once. I love the stuff.

Well, most designer fragrancesa re synthetic. One I can not seem to forget is Silver Scent. As for Natural, Amouage and Serge Lutens are good example. Though there are almost purely natural fragrances out there, to be honest none of them is major, most seem to be local. They're either really expensive or not very good. I know Abdes Salam Attar posts here and he has good stuff according to many memebers here, yet to order from him.

Synthetic is underrated. But I'll agree with whoever said Hugo Boss makes the most synthetic.

In my experience Fredrique Malle and Creed have been the most natural.

Post Thanks / Like

Joop! is the most synthetic... There are natural perfumes that contain no synthetics, though I can't name any offhand...

DeepSilence

2+ Hugo Boss fragrances,
    Cool Water and GIT are so synthetic for me.
    And most of fragrances with citrus notes (such as Acqua Di Go, D&G PH, Clinique Happy,...), and floral fragrances are most natural for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Synthetic is underrated. But I'll agree with whoever said Hugo Boss makes the most synthetic.

In my experience Fredrique Malle and Creed have been the most natural.
    You'll kill me, but for natural richness don't forget Etat Libre D'Orange and - of course - L'Artisan Parfumeur. As far as I oversee their business it's about quality, at least with their best offers. For tonight I applied ELDOs Nombrile Immense and still wondering what going on here ;-)

I think synthetics (aldehydes) can be quite pleasant. Chanel #5 has loads of aldehydes, but it's a classic. "T" by Tommy Hilfiger is completely synthetic, but crisp and wonderful. For me a synthetic fails when it comes across as false. Or gives me a headache. Or both. For example, L'Eau de Issey Pour Homme. It's like an industrial air freshner in the shape of a plastic lotus. From a distance it looks real, but get close and you see it's most decidedly not. I found this to be the perfect example of all that is wrong with "synthetic".

Quote Originally Posted by colormechris View Post
    For me a synthetic fails when it comes across as false.
    I don't think synthetic is the opposite of natural, I think artificial is the opposite. You may not think there is a distinction, but I believe there is. Consider Coumarin. Originally isolated from a natural source, Coumarin used in perfume is the result of a chemical process, it is synthesised. But it smells the same as the natural source. It won't smell artificial.

Compare to Calone, which is truly artificial.

Edit:

Accepting that very few frags are all natural these days (don't believe the hype from Creed), there are 3 cases

Synthetics that try to mimic natural smells and succeed
    Synthetics that try to mimic natural smells and fail
    Synthetics that are abstract

These last 2 would be artificial
    Last edited by andym72; 16th October 2010 at 06:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Get something from profumo.it for a natural fragrance, and either GIT, or Cool Water as very synthetic smelling.

Im guna have to say if u want synthetic....look for any of those aresol body sprays (axe, tag, RGX, Old Spice Spray, Lynx etc.) also you may wana try Coty Musk for Men and Jovan musk for men, the musk is not "real" musk from animals sooooo its fake. As for natural scents, usually the brands that cost a bit more and that are ACTUAL cologne or EDT...for example...7 Wonders of the World Colosseum, originally sold for about $60 American dollars, (the price has dropped a lot these days), are pretty natural for the most part, at least as far as I can tell.

Hugo Boss Element

One of the most synthetic fragrance in my collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Highly synthetic frags are quite easy to pick out. Most from the Hugo house, DKNY, Lacoste, Nautica, etc are highly synthetic. Actually all fragrances are synthetic. Synthetic meaning "man made". Those that are less synthetic are highly debatable; to me I'd say many from the Hermes and Creed houses are less synthetic. Or it could be that they do an excellent job mimicking the more natural smelling notes with their less common synthetic ingredients.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really try to avoid distinguishing the two as it really doesnt matter to me. if it smells good, i'll like it. However, I find that really cheap fragrances tend to be ultrasynthetic smelling...there's just something about them that turns my stomach.

fountain

least s - parfums de nicolai; most s - anything by boss

For least synthetic, try Jack Black. Their product are great, natural, and no animal testing.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by M.T. View Post
    Hugo Boss Element

One of the most synthetic fragrance in my collection.

Yes, It's one of most synthetic fragrance in the world. I didn't have more expectation(because of it's name)

Try Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue - it's a great example of Jacques Guerlain's keenness on aromachemicals. It is largely based on ionone (violet odour), eugenol (clove odour), heliotropin (cherry-marzipan odour), coumarin (honeyed almond odour) and vanillin (vanilla odour). Plus some aldehydes. Well, of course it also has orangeblossom, benzoin, and iris, probably (but who knows really?) directly from nature herself.

L'Heure Bleue smells so good. People should really stop harassing stuff synthesized in the laboratory, I think

Mr G you make is sound so delicious , I really need to get around to re trying it

From what I understand there are very few fragrance producers who use natural oils anymore. They are inconsistent for use in getting a stable product in mass quantities out of production. Man made copies are much easier to get that consistent product. People want that same smell from the first bottle to bottle 1 million and ongoing.

I guess what people perceive as 'synthetic' as opposed to 'natural' is how well the notes are blended and whether the fragrance is attempting to be a more natural inspired scent or just some 'scent' that smells the way it does regardless of where it falls in the pantheon of the naturally occurring or not.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Post Thanks / Like

Diptyque smells quite natural to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Most perfumes are at least 85% synthetic. That includes niche.

L'Artisan is often thought of as being natural, yet the house was built on the skillful use of a high level of synthetics. Creed makes abundant use of synthetics, and they are only slightly above average in use of naturals.

Today's synthetics often smell more natural than the real thing. As well, perceptions of what smells natural and synthetic are often highly inaccurate. There are many natural essences which can smell synthetic. What you may perceive as synthetic could easily be something natural.

It won't be long before perfumes are almost 100% synthetic and made entirely by perfumers working on computers. They spend at least half of their time working there as it is.

I found Halston Unbound to be the most synthetic one Ive tried so far.