Code of Conduct

Default Montale's Black Musk

After reading all about Black Musk, I was looking forward to trying this one but, after trying it at the Paris boutique, I am not as enthusiastic as others.

Yes, it's definitely a different take on Black Aoud but, to be honest, if you love Black Aoud the way it is, there really isn't much point in owing this. It starts out smelling true to the spirit of Black Aoud before the musk kicks in, and this is where it goes wrong for me. I think the patchouli's been greatly reduced to accommodate the musk theme but, merged with the oud note, it smells like a slightly aquatic version of Black Aoud. Also, the drydown is largely a metallic-musk affair, with faint traces of the other notes in the composition. If Black Aoud was too strong for you, this may appeal. Other than that, there's not much more to write home about.

Btw, it appears that Montale no longer offers samples (even after purchasing a bottle for a friend). They seem to be using the same excuse as the other houses, such as Guerlain - because the fragrances are exclusive...

Lastly, I noticed another two new-ish releases: Poire has now been officially released under the name Wild Pear (didn't impress me at all - too synthetic). Plus, there's one called Taj, which they claim was once a private release called Aoud Cadesh. I never had the chance to smell it properly but it appears to be closer to the style of their older releases.

Anyway, time to hit those bars and mingle with some beautiful Parisian women...

Default Re: Montale's Black Musk

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Anyway, time to hit those bars and mingle with some beautiful Parisian women...
    Good luck with that, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    After reading all about Black Musk, I was looking forward to trying this one but, after trying it at the Paris boutique, I am not as enthusiastic as others.

Other than that, there's not much more to write home about....
    Absolutely perfect assessment.

I really liked this one. Sometimes I have trouble wearing Black Aoud around the office or so on, so this fills that void perfectly.

I absolutely can't wear my beloved BA out in public. I never should have gotten the extra 5% oil in it. It, along with Epic, are the most monstrous beasts of longevity and sillage I have ever met with the difference that Epic is more wearable. So, Black Musk, as Cairomerta put it, might be more accommodating.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I agree with Trebor on this. Started out very much like Black Aoud, but I didn't like the drydown. On me it smelled a bit musty.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman