Code of Conduct

Thread: Very impressed

Default Very impressed

After going on a fragrance hiatus, I caved today and made a few purchases (had some time to kill before a meeting) in Boots. All were quite cheap, so I don't feel bad for buying these ones!

I came away with L'eau D'Issey original and intense versions which have been on my radar for a while.

I also tried Shalimar and Shalimar Parfum Initial... and bought both. Wow. These are great fragrances and totally unisex in my opinion. I'm looking forward to rocking the Parfum Initial, which to me smells like a more outrageous Dior Homme Intense. I could actually see this one becoming a bit of a signature for me as I love Iris and this one is delicious. After all, we all need to be 'fabulous' sometimes! This is the first time I've purchased anything from the female aisle in a store (apart from when I've bought perfume for my wife) and I'm very happy with both of these supposedly femme fragrances.

Default Re: Very impressed

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    I came away with L'Eau D'Issey original and intense versions which have been on my radar for a while.
    Congrats. Enjoy!

Shalimar is definitely one I'm glad to have ignored the marketing directed only at women. One of the all-time greatest fragrances ever made, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Shalimar is definitely one I'm glad to have ignored the marketing directed only at women. One of the all-time greatest fragrances ever made, IMO.
    Absolutely. I'm looking forward to getting to know this one. Should be marketed as a unisex fragrance IMO (probably too late now after decades of being marketed to women) along with another one of my favourites, Black Orchid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Congrats. Enjoy!
    Thanks hednic!

Dependent

Great to see some more support for this terrific new flanker, Fraghead. I completely agree that Parfum Initial is unisex. Its iris is more muted than in many frags which I appreciate. Do you get the big sour cream accord all the way through the heart? Sublime! I find it is even more of a descendent of Jicky's lemon cheesecake vibe than Shalimar. Guerlain's still at the top of their game.

Shalimar (new juice) just doesn't work for me -- just too powdery sweet. That milky funk of Initial is what I needed to make it work.

Have you tried Shalimar Parfum Initial l'Eau? It's not in the states at all it seems. Curious to try a more sparking bergamot heavy version, though it's hard to imagine any improvement on this stuff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    I came away with L'eau D'Issey original ....
    Good choice, enjoy!

There`s nothing wrong with buying "female" declaraded perfume as a guy, how long you feel good when you wear it. Further Shalimar is defenitly a unisex scent, I own it too and get compliments from men and womens equally, for it. And like fraghead says, same counts to Black Orchid....

So be bravely and don`t be afraid from checking out more scents, which were marketed as women`s perfume

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Great to see some more support for this terrific new flanker, Fraghead. I completely agree that Parfum Initial is unisex. Its iris is more muted than in many frags which I appreciate. Do you get the big sour cream accord all the way through the heart? Sublime! I find it is even more of a descendent of Jicky's lemon cheesecake vibe than Shalimar. Guerlain's still at the top of their game.

Shalimar (new juice) just doesn't work for me -- just too powdery sweet. That milky funk of Initial is what I needed to make it work.

Have you tried Shalimar Parfum Initial l'Eau? It's not in the states at all it seems. Curious to try a more sparking bergamot heavy version, though it's hard to imagine any improvement on this stuff.
    Sublime is a great way to describe this fantastic scent. Funnily enough, the SA handed me a box of l'Eau; I spotted the mistake and got the Initial; you've made me want to sample this one as well now! I'll give it a go (tomorrow perhaps) and report back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Good choice, enjoy!
    Always know I've made a good choice when you agree d&s!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Orchid View Post
    There`s nothing wrong with buying "female" declaraded perfume as a guy, how long you feel good when you wear it. Further Shalimar is defenitly a unisex scent, I own it too and get compliments from men and womens equally, for it. And like fraghead says, same counts to Black Orchid....

So be bravely and don`t be afraid from checking out more scents, which were marketed as women`s perfume
    I might have to start stealing a few sprays of my wife's John Galliano... I always love the way it smells on her and think it could quite easily cross over into unisex territory.
    Last edited by Fraghead; 7th July 2012 at 02:35 AM.

Dependent

Now youre tempting me to go and look at the Guerlains!
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille