Code of Conduct

Default Tested new Jack Black's "JB" at Nordstrom

Nordstrom's had a big display of this stuff sitting at the front of the frag counter. I got a huge shot of mint (it's listed as peppermint in the topnotes) at first. Kinda reminded me of Roadster a bit. Walked around for half an hour and resisted sniffing my arm the entire time since I've always wondered why the HELL they even put topnotes in fragrances since they don't last. Anyway, I admit not having the best nose for individual notes but the drydown smells a LOT like Terre d'Hermes. Maybe some others who test this can give a better comparison but I do think if you like TdH, you mayy like this.

Default Re: Tested new Jack Black's "JB" at Nordstrom

Sounds interesting. I will definitely give a sniff when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Nordstrom's had a big display of this stuff sitting at the front of the frag counter. I got a huge shot of mint (it's listed as peppermint in the topnotes) at first. Kinda reminded me of Roadster a bit. Walked around for half an hour and resisted sniffing my arm the entire time since I've always wondered why the HELL they even put topnotes in fragrances since they don't last. Anyway, I admit not having the best nose for individual notes but the drydown smells a LOT like Terre d'Hermes. Maybe some others who test this can give a better comparison but I do think if you like TdH, you mayy like this.
    I tried this today and thought the very same thing.....I believe You hit the nail right on the head.....The tester that my Nordstrom's had out had a faulty spray.....I had to spray this 3-4 times to get one good spray on the card.....This smelled like Terre D'Hermes for sure.....Gary

Basenotes Plus

Mint and earthy notes? Quite a combination!

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Mint and earthy notes? Quite a combination!
    Well, as in Roadster, the mint is COMPLETELY out the door without a trace when the TDH notes kick in. A promising beginning for me since I like mint, but not a big fan of TDH so drydown killed it.

Sounds good to me. I really like the quality and the packaging of Jack Black products. Classy presentation. The scents have been solid, but not spectacular. I'll check it out in the future...who knows when I'll get to Charlotte or ATL...maybe my Sephora will get it.

To me, on the card (they had no tester out, only pre-sprayed cards) it smelled like something similar to The Beat.

Guy's I tried this today and the down dry reminded me greatly of Thierry Mugler's B*Men.

How has the longivity and strength been for you?

Tried JB today and found that I liked it quite a bit. The tangerine threw me off it for a while but as it began to mellow, it turned into a REALLY nice tangerine dream. I thought that was going to be way too odd but NOPE, it works.

It would make a slightly unusual workhorse office scent or first date stuff.
    Give it a try.

Sur la Plage

I found this one to be quite awful.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I found this one to be quite awful.
    Did you get the "TdH" drydown or was I off a bit. Because I really don't like TdH which is why I didn't like JB.

Sur la Plage

Did you get the "TdH" drydown or was I off a bit. Because I really don't like TdH which is why I didn't like JB.
    I like Terre d'Hermes - but I didn't personally get that from JB.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It has earthy notes but it doesnt smell like Terre De hermes , it has an earthy quality yes , but its an earthy mixed in with a minty /eucalyptus medicinal smell . It reminds me of those nice colognes my grandfather wore from the 70s . Its been 6 hours since I sprayed it and its pretty strong . For its price its a great smell !

I got to try Jack Black JB today at a local shop and I was very impressed with it. The opening is tangerine made very bright -it seems to jump off the skin. At first I thought oh this is a very warm citrus, but helping make the orange note sparkle is a slight mint green aspect. The eucalyptus middle notes mix with blond woods for a very nice tangerine mentholated wood scent. The base is warm very dry woods. It smells very much like Atelier Cologne Bois Blond with the orange and blond wood base only I thought it seemed more potent. The orange and woods is also probably what reminds some of Terre d' Hermes, but it is gentler in scent that TdH in my opinion but there are some similar notes going on. If you are looking for a very fresh light woods scent that has some orange, mint and eucalyptus - I recommend it.

Orange and mint with woods sounds a lot like Eau D'Orange Verte by Hermes.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Funny story, A rep gave me scent strip of Jack black and I completely dismissed it because it wasn't ever mentioned in videos or on basenotes. She proceeded to say that out of all the fragrances she has smelled in the store JB was her fav.
    Looking to purchase - Aventus any size or participate in a split

Silver is simply wonderful, really a great choice out there, i have to try JB and black.

Tried it at Nordstrom as well and was very excited by the complexity and peppermint in the top notes.. after about 20 minutes the mint and all subtlety had vanished and was reduced to a sweet, pungent citrus. Terre d'Hermes doesn't do it for me, and neither does this.

I tried this yesterday at Nordstroms and loved it. It was very dry with nice sharp woody and vetiver notes, as well as sage and mint. Kind of reminded me of some of the better (i.e., NOT AQUATIC) men's fragrances I remember being released back in the 1990s. Smelled to me like a cross between Declaration and Essenza di Zegna. I can't say I smell similarities to Terre d'Hermes, though (I hate that scent!).
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

It smells so good I can hear it.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

One of them smells identical to Zihr Ikon, forgot which.

I can't get past the name.

Didn't care for it at all.

Yes, I get reminders of Terre d'Hermes. Yes, I can even relate to the comparison to The Beat, due to the woody-citrus aromachemical in the drydown. But does anybody else get hints of angelica, as in Frederic Malle's Bois d'Orage/French Lover? With the mint opening, which is also prominent in FM's Geraniums Pour Monsieur, and the angelica dry-down, maybe this is another incident of niche experimentation filtering out to the broader market.

Just got it for Xmas today ... Love the minimalist bottle and I actually dig the scent, I was not a fan of the other jack black scents but I was pleasantly surprised by this one.....I'm getting a whiff of what I assume is papyrus? It has an element similar to bulgari pour homme soir, I also get a a smooth Ginger note even though I don't see it listed... I don't get earth but more a grassy note, I'm a fan!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I wish to bump this thread because I think JB Jack Blackhas been hastily and unfairly put aside with negative opinions and comments. This is a fantastic fragrance that hides behind bold orange/tangerine mint opening. The fragrance really comes alive as it dries down. It lasts all day, and is one of the finest and most interesting dry wood fragrances I've tried. The lightness of the mix is incredibly good in the warmer spring weather.

Notes for JB include: tangerine, black pepper, peppermint, elemi, geranium, eucalyptus, tiger orchid, papyrus, black amber and blond woods. The opening tangerine notes hide the woods to come in a warm citrus mint. JB quickly dries down to a lively light woods and subtle floral incense fragrance. The comparisons to Terre d' Hermes are spot on, although it does not have vetiver as a base. I also think JB smells very similar to, but much bolder and superior to Atelier Cologne Bois Blonds which was also created by the same perfumer Jerome Epinette.

The nose for JB, Jerome Epinette is the also perfumer for most of the Atelier Cologne series (Bois Blonds, Trefle Pur, Oolong Infiniti) as well as the creator of the very inventive fragrances for Byredo Parfums - the entire line. Others in his resume are Fresh Cannabis Rose along with JB for Jack Black.

I think JB is a greatly underestimated and underapreciated fragrance. Give it a try and some time to develop - you will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I wish to bump this thread because I think JB Jack Blackhas been hastily and unfairly put aside with negative opinions and comments. This is a fantastic fragrance that hides behind bold orange/tangerine mint opening. The fragrance really comes alive as it dries down. It lasts all day, and is one of the finest and most interesting dry wood fragrances I've tried. The lightness of the mix is incredibly good in the warmer spring weather.

Notes for JB include: tangerine, black pepper, peppermint, elemi, geranium, eucalyptus, tiger orchid, papyrus, black amber and blond woods. The opening tangerine notes hide the woods to come in a warm citrus mint. JB quickly dries down to a lively light woods and subtle floral incense fragrance. The comparisons to Terre d' Hermes are spot on, although it does not have vetiver as a base. I also think JB smells very similar to, but much bolder and superior to Atelier Cologne Bois Blonds which was also created by the same perfumer Jerome Epinette.

The nose for JB, Jerome Epinette is the also perfumer for most of the Atelier Cologne series (Bois Blonds, Trefle Pur, Oolong Infiniti) as well as the creator of the very inventive fragrances for Byredo Parfums - the entire line. Others in his resume are Fresh Cannabis Rose along with JB for Jack Black.

I think JB is a greatly underestimated and underapreciated fragrance. Give it a try and some time to develop - you will like it.
    Thanks Buzzlepuff, this sounds like one I need to spend a little time with. I will make sure to give it a go soon.

I tried this at Nordstrom a few months ago and was quite impressed, actually. Might have to bust out my sample and give it another go.

I dont find this similar to TDH at all , it has menthol saffron thing going on with it, a freshy earthy smell , and it lasts quite a while on my skin. The closest fragrance to this would be roadster I would say. I prefer JB. Its a fantastic fragrance!

Based on this thread, I'm going to check JB out today at lunch. Sounds very intriguing.

Thought I bump up this thread. I get the TdH comparisons but not the mint/Roadster at all. Still, JB is a lovely fragrance and one of the best I've smelled in a long time. Buzzlepuff hit the nail on the head on this one. Can't figure out why JB is an EdP (99% of men who buy it won't notice this) but I like the fact that JB is taking risks when most mainstream frag houses continue to release flanker after boring flanker to the masses with no artistry in sight.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Change my mind. I can't wear this.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 19th September 2011 at 11:19 PM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Change my mind. I can't wear this.
    What happened?

The first time I sniffed JB, I thought it was TdH but in a new bottle. I used to own TdH, but got rid of it because it smelled to formal and stuffy for me. I very much prefer JB because it seems more versatile due to the amped-up citrus. Makes it more versatile and I've been wearing it non-stop for the past couple weeks.

I have been wearing this lately more often...it's very light and non offensive...I agree that it's is versatile in that I wear it to work, on dates, etc.

It took me awhile to "get it" but I wear it when I wash with JB turbo wash and they pair nicely!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I got three samples of this at Nordstrom's a few days ago & I Like it. This projects very well! The more I smell it the more I like it. I really want this but I ask myself do I need it? How many wearings will I get out of this on a yearly basis. I have about 130 bottles in my collecion already. Like I said earlier this is very nice but there is no room for it in my wardrobe.
    I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily event for me. I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's. No time is better than the present.

Anyway, I admit not having the best nose for individual notes but the drydown smells a LOT like Terre d'Hermes. Maybe some others who test this can give a better comparison but I do think if you like TdH, you mayy like this.

I agree it is a better version of T d'Hermes. I will def buy this, Plus it is a Parfum.

was not impressed by this one

Finally tested this on my skin. It's a cologne version of Terre d'Hermes on my skin. It's like TDH with no sillage, more of a skin scent. Pass.

Dependent

intrigued by this one