Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Coach Fragrance For Men - Mini Review

I finally remember this scent today and ducked into a Coach shoppe to try it out. They did have it on display and the bottle is very nice like a heavy crystal brandy decanter - I was offered a sample so I decided to try it at home.

Well I gave it a spray on my wrist it is a very citrus chypre a very classic gentleman scent. Lemons a touch of spice and woods. If this would have came out a year ago it would have been amazing - but Brooks Brothers New York Gentleman did in their fragrance and better then Coach.

Coach is not a long lasting scent at all about after 15 minutes when it starts to get interesting it has totally faded down to you can hardly smell it.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Coach Fragrance For Men - Mini Review

I totally agree. I like the way it started, but in less then an hour it was completely done - one of the worst fragrances I have encountered regarding sillage and longevity.

There is no way I would spend money on this.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Question: isn't Coach more or less exclusive to women's accessories and such?

The brand is probably just following the footsteps of Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs et al. Their lines are geared towards women (though I think Kors does mens sportscoats). I guess they wanted something for the women to buy their husbands or what have them. Maybe the ladies liked it in the tests?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Question: isn't Coach more or less exclusive to women's accessories and such?

The brand is probably just following the footsteps of Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs et al. Their lines are geared towards women (though I think Kors does mens sportscoats). I guess they wanted something for the women to buy their husbands or what have them. Maybe the ladies liked it in the tests?
    They have more stuff for women but also make men's accessories also - belts, wallets, shoes, etc.

If someone liked it in a test, it must have been a case of smelling the top notes and thinking how great they were, and not testing it any further then that.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th September 2009 at 09:19 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    They have more stuff for women but also make men's accessories also - belts, wallets, shoes, etc.

If someone liked it in a test, it must have been a case of smelling the top notes and thinking how great they were, and not testing it any further then that.
    Yeah I figured.

It was probably "thrown together" asap, bad budget. Too bad. I like seeing semi-famous brand names come out with sleeper hits.

Like, if Ikea came out with a fragrance that was awesome... that'd be funny.

I'm eating my own words here because I actually liked this when I tried it. The opening reminded me so much of the dry and woody lemon of Homme de Gres. Goes into a floral tea scent in the dry down and NOTHING like Homme de Gres beyond the amazing top notes.

It's still going good for me on both the card and my wrist. Longevity seems to be different for different people for this so far.

I should give this a full wearing later so it's not just a tiny spritz on the wrist.

I didn't even bother walking into my mall's Coach store to test this. Maybe I will now though.

Blog Entries

Do let us know what the total longevity looks like for you, Slarty. Maybe worth sampling - my skin is pretty easy on most frags.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

You know, I would half expect Coach to do a really nice leather fragrance. Something to appeal to those of us who sneak sniffs of their products when we look at them.

A nice modern leather - that would have been pretty happening!

This might be something I should look into! The notes sounds great, and fragrances usually last longer on me than most.

for the reports!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thanks for the info.....doesn't sound exciting at all.
    Gary

I tried this a few days ago at the Coach boutique and thought it was fantastic while it lasted. The citrus opening lasted for quite a long time, and the heart notes were fantastic. However ... the basenotes. Wait, what basenotes? If there were basenotes, I sure as hell could not smell them, and I gave the scent a full four-spray wearing.

Most scents last really well on me, but this did not, which is too bad, because I did like it while it lasted. The bottle is fantastic, and the scent was pretty darn good, something I'd definitely consider purchasing, but though it lasted quite a while on the card, it seemed like it was gone from my skin in under an hour. Shame.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

How typical of designer houses - top loading all the interesting notes to secure impulsive purchases. That's what RL has been doing. Maybe its easier and cheaper to launch a fragrance than to introduce new bags and accessories. Everybody and his dog seems to be doing scents. And if IKEA does it, don't be surprised if you have to put together the spray bottle yourself. LOL.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 19th October 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Just wanted to follow up here and say that I finally gave this one a try, and I was quite impressed. The topnotes are stunning. I'm a sucker for a dry, natural, sharp citrus fragrances, which this definitely is. It rightly gets some flack for fading quickly, but it is what it is: a wonderful light citrus cyphre that smells compellingly natural.

If you don't mind that, or if you (like me) have skin that holds fragrance well, it's definitely worth checking out.

Will go back for a sample soon.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Just wanted to follow up here and say that I finally gave this one a try, and I was quite impressed. The topnotes are stunning. I'm a sucker for a dry, natural, sharp citrus fragrances, which this definitely is. It rightly gets some flack for fading quickly, but it is what it is: a wonderful light citrus cyphre that smells compellingly natural.

If you don't mind that, or if you (like me) have skin that holds fragrance well, it's definitely worth checking out.

Will go back for a sample soon.
    Agree. They actually had this in Macy's today and I was impressed. Labeled as "Coach Leather" it reminded me of the original Armani but a little drier. This was an EdP too.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Agree. They actually had this in Macy's today and I was impressed. Labeled as "Coach Leather" it reminded me of the original Armani but a little drier. This was an EdP too.
    This one is really good and great longevity for me.

I was in a hurry a few weeks ago at Nordstroms but I very briefly smelled the Coach for Men on paper and liked it. It reminded be a little of Duc du Vervins upon quick first impression.

Blog Entries

Anyone tried the pour Femme? The inserts they put in magazines smelled good enough for me to want to smell the real thing.

Sur la Plage

I tried it again since it seems to be in wider release now. I stick to my original assessment. It is quite nice initially and then quickly fades to not much of anything. It's nothing I would purchase - even deeply discounted.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My husband tried this last year and liked it at the store, so asked for a sample, after which we left the mall and went directly home. By the time we got home, the scent was basically gone. So that's it, about an hour at the most. I suppose Coach is hoping to sell it solely on first impressions (the top notes.)

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I finally remember this scent today and ducked into a Coach shoppe to try it out. They did have it on display and the bottle is very nice like a heavy crystal brandy decanter - I was offered a sample so I decided to try it at home.

Well I gave it a spray on my wrist it is a very citrus chypre a very classic gentleman scent. Lemons a touch of spice and woods. If this would have came out a year ago it would have been amazing - but Brooks Brothers New York Gentleman did in their fragrance and better then Coach.

Coach is not a long lasting scent at all about after 15 minutes when it starts to get interesting it has totally faded down to you can hardly smell it.
    The blew the budget on the topnotes and nothing was left for the base. Welcome to modern perfumery!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

News for Canadians -- this is being launched and promoted at The Bay. I tried it today just as a spritz, they didn't have any sample vials available. I like it. I'm impressed that this sort of classic lemon chypre is being made in today's market. IOW, it isn't an aquatic. Lovely lemon/orange notes with a mossy drydown. The moss gets a bit salty on my skin, which is interesting. It sits close to the skin, but has lasted for more than six hours. I'll try it again.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

^ You know, Ody, I really like the start of this one, and I got the notes to hang around and compete with Bleu de Chanel on the other arm for about 3-4 hours, but it was a bit weak by the end.

If I ever see this heavily discounted, I will definitely snag it. I wouldn't mind reapplying it. It's one of the best openings among fragrances on the Macy's counter. Too bad this fragrance didn't get Bleu de Chanel's drydown!

Basenotes Institution

I loved it when I smelled it yesterday. It reminded me of Armani Pour Homme, and I say that as a compliment. I might pick this up if I can find it discounted. I thought it smelled better than anything I've smelled from Coach.