Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Montale Black Aoud -- Why does it vanish on my skin so quickly?

Hi there,

I have read many of the earlier posts on Montale's Black Aoud, a fragrance I should love simply because it is rose-based and has oud, two scents I love. Because of this, I tried it, bought it, then bought another bottle to keep in NY.

My problem is that it vanishes on my skin within an hour or two. Obviously, I'm not anosmic because the scent of rose is great going on, but it just doesn't last. I've tried everything: either using only two very short sprays, one front one back, or using two sprays, one on each arm, or using one on my neck and one on my abdomen, or one on my undershirt and another on the back of my neck. No matter what I try, it doesn't last.

As an experiment, I sprayed once onto a sheet of paper and put it into a drawer with a Polo shirt and some briefs. That was two days ago. When I took both out of the drawer five minutes ago, the smell was still detectable on the shirt but the briefs were basically permeated with the smell of rose. Hence, I don't have two bum bottles.

I don't use any uber-scented soap, and my skin is a bit dry -- sometimes I use moisturizer, but it's scent-free.

The easy solution would be to forget about it and move on to something other than Black Aoud. But, I don't want to give up so easily.

Have any of you faced this problem with Black Aoud and, if so, how many sprays do you use and where?

Thanks.
    Last edited by daoud62; 3rd January 2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: correct grammar

Default Re: Montale Black Aoud -- Why does it vanish on my skin so quickly?

Two things which come to mind:

1) Olfactory fatigue
    2) Dry skin

Get the opinion of somebody else around you after 2 hours, to gauge the strength.

I'm the guy that bitches and moans about short longevity scents. I can honestly say Black Aoud isn't one of them. The only answer could be is olfactory fatigue. Try asking a friend if they can still smell you after you think the scent is gone. I'm going to bet money they will still be able to smell you.

Basenotes Member

I walked into my mother's apartment the other day and she asked me what I was wearing, and I could still smell it, but it was not strong. She noticed it from the other end of the room. So, olfactory fatigue seems the likely culprit.

Tell me: is there any particular place where it should be sprayed?

One thing I am thinking of doing is simply repeating the experiment with the sheet of paper on an undershirt and underwear the night before I want to wear Black Aoud and seeing how it goes.

I think it might be olfactory fatique as well. My skin absorbs a lot of scents, and this isn't one of them

Black Aoud is known for its longetivity and I think your example at your mother's place answers your doubts.

This is one fragrance that most certainly stays around for quite a while on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by daoud62 View Post
    Try 1 spray to your abdomen before you get dressed. Less really is more with this one...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster2010 View Post
    Black Aoud is known for its longevity and I think your example at your mother's place answers your doubts.
    agree ... try spraying on the back of your neck (the nape) where your hairline is ...

Get the haute concentration. That way you will be able to smell it for weeks instead of days...

Basenotes Junkie

I find Black Aoud pretty intense - for a LONG time, so I'd go with olfactory fatigue as well.

That said, I haven't found anyone that really liked it yet :/ Not my girlfriend, my mother recoiled and my brother wondered if I had become a gardener or something like that - said the rose-smell was intense and not really manly.

Anyways - o.f strikes you hard, I guess

i have dry skin and it last, even while im soaked in other scents
    (2 weeks ago, I used 2 sprays of BA and I spent 2h at pizza bar and believe me after 2h scent of pizza was all over me, then we bounced to another bar where I met my friend and from a distance about 1m she could smell BA and compliment this!)
    if You cant detect it doesnt mean that others cant, try ask friend after about 4-5h mark if he/she can smell it
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzˇw

Quote Originally Posted by daoud62 View Post
    I walked into my mother's apartment the other day and she asked me what I was wearing, and I could still smell it, but it was not strong. She noticed it from the other end of the room. So, olfactory fatigue seems the likely culprit.

One thing I am thinking of doing is simply repeating the experiment with the sheet of paper on an undershirt and underwear the night before I want to wear Black Aoud and seeing how it goes.
    If you want to avoid olfactory fatigue, the best thing to do is either wear less, or spray a body part that won't be exposed to air so much (eg. your chest). That way the fragrance won't be "up in the air" so much and your nose will be less fatigued.
    Sales thread here

Olfactory fatigue happens with almost all of my scents. I have been asked what am I wearing from about 10 ft away after about 6hrs wearing this one. Scillage is ridiculous with this one. Unfortunately I am not a fan of Aoud. Otherwise, this would be my number one scent.

I agree that Black Aoud has very good persistence but my memory is that the rose recedes within two hours or so and the aoud/citronella accord becomes quite prominent.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I can't spray this anywhere my nose as I can feel it burning my nostrils with every breath for the first half hour. I think it is okay but I wear it especially for its projection and longevity. Usually my skin eats up all fragrances but there is no way my skin can eat this up.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by out of smoke View Post
    I can't spray this anywhere my nose as I can feel it burning my nostrils with every breath for the first half hour. I think it is okay but I wear it especially for its projection and longevity. Usually my skin eats up all fragrances but there is no way my skin can eat this up.
    So, where do you spray it?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I agree that Black Aoud has very good persistence but my memory is that the rose recedes within two hours or so and the aoud/citronella accord becomes quite prominent.
    I too have noticed that it is the rose note that recedes the quickest.