Code of Conduct

Default Scents that smell like old fashioned makeup/lipstick

Looking for a fragrance that smells like old fashioned lipstick, makeup or cold cream. Have come close with Lipstick Rose by Federic Malle but wondered what else was out there - ESPECIALLY if it is feminine and truly elegant.
    They say, what they say, let them say.

Default Re: Scents that smell like old fashioned makeup/lipstick

Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi is a gorgeous and elegant face powder scent, and I highly recommend this if you like powdery fragrances without the baby powder smell. It's ultra-luxurious, ultra-feminine, and so very dreamy.

Lancome's Climat smells like the old Lancome cosmetics - very aldehydic, powdery and rosey, but also sort of creamy. It's very beautiful and elegant with that distinctive "rose-scented makeup" signature.

Coty L'Origan is the same fragrance as Coty's Airspun face powder, so that might do it for you - it's a real nostalgia hit for me. Its influences are easily detected in L'Heure Bleue, Oscar de La Renta and LouLou.

If your jury is still out on Lipstick Rose (which is also at the top of my rec list) then you might want to sample Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan's Le Pot Aux Roses - it's very similar to but a bit more tender and dewy than Lipstick Rose...I think of it as soft pink where Lipstick Rose is definitely hot pink.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

To my nose Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose and Lorenzo Villoresi Musk have that vintage face powder compact vibe and smell ultrafeminine and elegant.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Oh, I agree tdem - good calls! I'd recommend almost any Villoresi, but I keep forgetting about Ombre Rose - is it good again or do you have to seek out the vintage to enjoy it the way it once was?
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Hi, E - I bought current Ombre Rose edt earlier this year from Beautyencounter and it's just as beautiful as I remember it (used to wear it in the '80s.)
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

That's good to know - thanks!

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan. Also agree that Ombre Rose is a good suggestion. I used to wear that years and years ago, and it's been on my wish list to wear again.

Histoires de Parfums Moulin Rouge 1889 might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Histoires de Parfums Moulin Rouge 1889 might be worth a look.
    +1 on 1889 Moulin Rouge

I also recall that Etat Libre d'Orange Putain des Palaces has a powdery make-up feel with a lipstick note. (Be warned about the tongue-in-cheek names of this line--some are very amusing. Many of the scents are very good. Putain des Palaces means "hotel whore.")

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/198...ain-de-Palaces

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/item/...s_Palaces.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 16th October 2010 at 03:24 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Please try Ava Luxe's brand new Pink Violet. It reminds me of Lipstick Rose for a fraction of a fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Please try Ava Luxe's brand new Pink Violet. It reminds me of Lipstick Rose for a fraction of a fraction of the price.
    Pink violet at 30$ for 15ml is more expensive than Lipstick Rose at 135 euro for 100ml.

Ombre rose is the ideal lipstick scent for me. Nude by Blass on me smells like lipstick/make up.

Fleurs de Rocaille by Caron. The extrait and the EdT.

Basenotes Plus

Plus one on Coty's L'Origan. It's still available in it's vintage form on E-Bay and is the real deal- one of the scents that the women who pioneered the lipstick and powder age of the 20's and 30's actually wore.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Great ideas! I'll add Balenciaga Paris for its cold cream vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan. Also agree that Ombre Rose is a good suggestion. I used to wear that years and years ago, and it's been on my wish list to wear again.
    Drole de Rose was my first choice- smells like lipstick.

If you can find Guerlain Les Meteorites it smells just like the Guerlain powders...violets. Pretty.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    ...I also recall that Etat Libre d'Orange Putain des Palaces has a powdery make-up feel with a lipstick note. (Be warned about the tongue-in-cheek names of this line--some are very amusing. Many of the scents are very good. Putain des Palaces means "hotel whore.")...
    I agree. Smells not just powdery but like powdery makeup. Not my cup of tea but if that's what you're looking for - give it a try.

Hillaire

It may just be me, but YSL Y has always evoked the mystique of my childhood make up counters, powder compacts in particular.

Please do NOT overlook Shisedo's Murasaki, easy to find online. It was once the smell of Shiseido's line.

I also think that Guerlain's Terracotta as well as their Iris Ganache are worth looking into. Both strike me as super make-up-ey. The latter reminds me of old Dior lipstick so much it's like a slap of glorious nostalgia.

Coty L'Aimant reminds me of face powder and lipstick.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi is a gorgeous and elegant face powder scent, and I highly recommend this if you like powdery fragrances without the baby powder smell. It's ultra-luxurious, ultra-feminine, and so very dreamy.

Lancome's Climat smells like the old Lancome cosmetics - very aldehydic, powdery and rosey, but also sort of creamy. It's very beautiful and elegant with that distinctive "rose-scented makeup" signature.

Coty L'Origan is the same fragrance as Coty's Airspun face powder, so that might do it for you - it's a real nostalgia hit for me. Its influences are easily detected in L'Heure Bleue, Oscar de La Renta and LouLou.

If your jury is still out on Lipstick Rose (which is also at the top of my rec list) then you might want to sample Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan's Le Pot Aux Roses - it's very similar to but a bit more tender and dewy than Lipstick Rose...I think of it as soft pink where Lipstick Rose is definitely hot pink.
    Evangeline,
    I have Lancome's Climat which I bought after one sniff. Have a hard time getting used to it. Now that you point it out, it DOES smell like cosmetics. I'll give it another try.

The old lipstick note was given by violet (and so powdery iris too).

It can be hard to find as it's discontinued but i think of L'Artisan Parfumeur - Orchidée blanche

There is a MPG perfume (created by the same nose) who was recently discontinued too but still easily findable, and it's smells very very nearly Orchidée blanche, but i forgot the name (maybe it's Magnolia pourpre but not sure at all!)

And Balenciaga - Le Dix , a creamy delight !

Quote Originally Posted by Nevena View Post
    Pink violet at 30$ for 15ml is more expensive than Lipstick Rose at 135 euro for 100ml.

It is always a mistake to compare parfum with edp. I myself have a big bottle of Pink Violet edp for small dollars.

Maybe I'm way off with this, but a lot of people describe Mitsouko as having a makeup smell. I don't notice that myself unless it is overapplied. This may not be the "makeup/lipstick" smell you are looking for though.

Blog Entries

Design by Paul Sebastian
    Gucci Accenti by Gucci
    Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie by Creed
    Sacrebleu by Parfums de Nicolaï
    LouLou by Cacharel
    The One by Dolce&Gabbana
    L`eau The One by Dolce&Gabbana
    Chaos by Donna Karan
    Ghost Summer Dream by Ghost
    Guess for Women by Guess
    Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain
    Halloween Kiss by Jesus Del Pozo

Didn't YSL Parisienne have a nail lacquer or vinyl note?

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Y...enne-6493.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

old fashioned powder room Habanita by Molinard the perfume

Blog Entries

Vecchi Rossetti by Hilde Soliani has a very old-fashioned theatrical make-up vibe, like a backstage dressing room filled with powder & greasepaint. Not my thing but it might be what you're looking for.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.