Code of Conduct

Default L'Artisan perfumes

Could you please help me choose? I picked up a bottle of Jour de Fete, and am thinking of exchanging it for Verte Violette or Chasse aux Papillons. Which do you like best of the 3? Thanks!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: L'Artisan perfumes

Welcome to Basenotes!

Personally I prefer Jour de Fête-- the smell of heliotrope. I can see why this would not be for everyone (Play Doh smells like this) but it is unlike anything else I own and it's a comfort scent, and discontinued as well. My daughter loves it on me.

Much as I like violet fragrances, I don't care for them mixed with iris as they are in Verte Violette.

La Chasse Aux Papillons becomes very sweet, too sweet for me--jasmine and tuberose -- but it is very popular.

Did you have access to tester bottles? What were your own impressions?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 15th July 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Thank you! I do have some testers. I appreciate your helping me make a decision! I was at an olfactory workshop for L'Artisan and they gave us samples and a 15% discount so I chose Jour de Fete because it was the last bottle and I have a great love for almond body lotions and shower gels. I am thinking that the body creams are not really almond as much as smelling like amaretto, which I love, because almond is more subtle and a bit more bitter.
    Here are my thoughts, if you can help me to decipher, I would appreciate it.
    I tried Drole de Rose, which I love in theory, but the waxy lipstick and powdery scent puts me off a bit. I love the femininity and pinkness of it though!
    La Chasse is pretty and smells nice on me, but I am concerned it is too floral. I never do straight florals, this one might be a keeper but I'm worried it smells too old.
    Verte Violette is nice on me too, very light and pretty, and there is something in it that I can't identify. Perhaps it is the earthy smell that is throwing me off but I do like it.
    I alos tried:
    Premier Figuier is nice, but reminds me exactly of Fresh's Fig Apricot.
    Bois de Farine is too powdery.
    Ananas Fizz was fun but fleeting.
    I liked the Vanilla scents but they are a bit strong for me and I don't love the gourmand scents when they are so strong.
    I went through all of them, and Jour de Fete came home with me because of the comfort almond factor but it is definitely different from what I have, not really smelling perfumey, more like the smell of clean and calm. Not a bad thing, but I am thinking I should switch for something else.
    Your thoughts? Thanks again.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Have you tried any of the ones marketed to men? I love Fou d'Absinthe and if my husband hadn't bought it for himself, I might have sprung for it.

Did you get a chance to try any of the limited editions/exceptional harvests? I love Fleur d'Oranger. Hideously expensive though.

I feel as you do about Drôle de Rose. I adore rose perfumes but I don't like what L'Artisan has done with them. Same goes for Voleur de Rose.

As to Premier Figuier, there is an extreme version, which is fruitier. The regular Premier Figuier is one of my favorite L'Artisans, perfect for hot muggy weather (the sandalwood is cooling to me). I love it. Fresh Fig Apricot is less long lasting and I believe it has musk in the base, which is not as good for me-- but I can see why you wouldn't want to duplicate. My daughter prefers the Fresh one.

Re: La Chasse-- and any of the others-- if you are ambivalent, your wallet will thank you if you continue sampling until you are sure (learned the hard way.) Maybe the extreme version would suit you better? I have not smelled it though so can't comment.

Ananas Fizz is very, very fleeting! For that much money I don't want to have to respray so often..

Bois de Farine reminds me of peanut butter cookies.

The gourmands and vanillas make me ill.

You didn't mention Mimosa Pour Moi. If you are unsure about Verte Violette, I think the mimosa one might not work for you either. Very powdery. In retrospect I bought this one too quickly, should have tested it longer. I think I talked myself into buying this because hubby and daughter liked it. It's never a good idea to talk yourself into buying a perfume.

And no perfume is a bargain if you don't love it. Because then it will just sit in your drawer unused.

Now that I think of it, I am surprised that L'Artisan never made a lily of the valley scent.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 15th July 2010 at 03:53 PM.

I tried Mimosa pour Moi, I think I tried all of them at the workshop. Mimosa was nice, but melon-like on me. I smelles cantaloupe and did not like it.
    I don't like spicy or musky scents, so I dismissed quite a few of the options. I just outlined the ones that I was considering. I can't return what I bought - Jour de Fete - but I can exchange. I don't want to keep Jour de Fete and not use it, so I was going to exchange for something.
    La Chasse is definitely too flowery for me and although I like Verte Violette, I may just keep Jour de Fete.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Jour de Fête grows on you. I especially like it in cooler weather-- it is very cozy.

The day I first smelled it, I was sampling a large number of L'Artisans and I laughed when the Play Doh note hit me. I didn't buy anything that first day, just brought home samples, but I found myself going back over and over to the sample of Jour de Fête, and in the end that was the one I ended up buying first. Something about it....

I'm thinking the same thing. I tested it on my arm and liked it, didn't love it but there was something about it. Besides, it's different than my other perfumes. Although I do have Butterfly and Fresh Sugar Blossom, they are somewhat sweeter than Jour de Fete. I am drawn to Olivia Giocabetti I think. My favorite is En Passant. Lilacs are my weakness. I am surprised I never joined here before. I am a huge ferfume-ista.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

But you know, you did say you found Ananas Fizz fun. And it is! Yes, the fact that it is fleeting is a downside, but if you like the smell and don't mind respraying, you could swap for that one. It's perfect for the summer heat.

Look at it this way: the money is already spent and you can't get a refund. Ask yourself this: if someone offered me a free bottle of any L'Artisan, which one would I take? And go from there.

I just saw your latest post-- you really must try a sample of Highland Lilac of Rochester. The best lilac ever! The website sells samples.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 15th July 2010 at 04:29 PM.

I think I would take Verte Violette in that case.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Well there you go! I think you solved your quandary.

Personally, I am a Verte Violette fan, but it matters what you think most of all! VV is lovely but fairly sweet. Jour de Fete is pretty. Do not underestimate comfort scents! There is certainly a place for them. (I find VV comforting.) I haven't really tested the regular Chasse. The Extreme is very pretty, but it is indeed a floral! Ananas Fizz doesn't do much on me or for me, which is strange since I love fruity scents. My sense is you are really most attracted to Jour de Fete! You can also, with a bit of work, swap some for a decant of one of the others to get the best of both (or all three) worlds!

Good luck!

I'm a Libra! nothing is that simple

If you like Olivia Giacobetti and En Passant, I would try L'Été en Douce - it's one of my absolute favourites. It's a little bit softer and greener than En Passant but has the same light feel of a summery veil to it.

I've tried all the tea scents actually. Douce was nice, but did not mix well with my skin, it seemed to sit on top rather than blend in...

Sur la Plage

Did you try Nuit de Tubereuse? I think it is fantastic.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks all, I switched to Verte Violette.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Jour de Fête grows on you. I especially like it in cooler weather-- it is very cozy.

The day I first smelled it, I was sampling a large number of L'Artisans and I laughed when the Play Doh note hit me. I didn't buy anything that first day, just brought home samples, but I found myself going back over and over to the sample of Jour de Fête, and in the end that was the one I ended up buying first. Something about it....
    How convenient that there is much about Jour de Fete in this thread, because I am sampling it today. I DO find it comforting, perhaps BECAUSE of that Play Doh note. (I'm so happy to smell that, because my nose is so untrained...). I'm now sorry to see that it has been discontinued.

Bought it for my wife who thought it was just OK. I personally didn't like it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ronni View Post
    How convenient that there is much about Jour de Fete in this thread, because I am sampling it today. I DO find it comforting, perhaps BECAUSE of that Play Doh note. (I'm so happy to smell that, because my nose is so untrained...). I'm now sorry to see that it has been discontinued.
    Jour de Fête is no longer being made (i.e. discontinued) but is still available. I buy my L'Artisan at Beautycafe.com and I see they still have the 50 ml. bottle listed; also, there is a 10% discount if you use coupon code "Basenotes", and the shipping is free for orders of $50 or more.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 17th July 2010 at 11:32 PM.

Me again! I was offered another 20% discount from any of the following: Safran, Piment Brulant, Vanilia, Navegar, Tubereuse, Ananas Fizz, and Jour de Fete... which would you buy? I am leaning towards Vanilia and Ananas Fizz.

Of this bunch I would say Safran Troublant.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

[QUOTE=30 Roses;1882344]Have you tried any of the ones marketed to men? I love Fou d'Absinthe and if my husband hadn't bought it for himself, I might have sprung for it.

QUOTE]

That's my favorite! Lasts forever too!
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Verte Violette if you like violets. I can't answer your question because all of them are wonderful, and I love L'artisan fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

I really like all the L'Artisan perfumes I've tried but the longevity has been really poor. Are there any that have good staying power?