Code of Conduct

Default "High Concept" Frags that Recreate a Specific Time/ Place

I love what Penhaligan's has done with Sartorial. They have attempted to create a fragrant interpretation of a very specific place: Norton and Sons tailors on Savile Row. The fragrance is not just meant to smell good, it attempts to recreate a very specific place and time.

A few others that come to mind are Un Jardin Sur La Nil (a garden on the Nile), Tauer's LdDM, and Kenzo's 7:15 in Bali. Even the new Midnight in Paris is meant to transport us to a specific place. This concept greatly intrigues me. These scents don't just make us smell good, they take us somewhere. Can anyone think of some others I can try?

Default Re: "High Concept" Frags that Recreate a Specific Time/ Place

There is another Kenzo with a time and place, but I don't recall the name.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Ambre Russe is a classic example of this. A lot of Parfum d'Empire frags are.

Serge Lutens does some of this; Ambre Sultan is an example.

L'Artisan Parfumeur does some of this. Dzongkha, Dzing, and Timbuktu are examples.

Parfums MDCI Ambre Topkapi borers on this sort of concep thing.

+ 1 for Parfums d'Empire's scents!

All of the ELdO line are concept scents, and some are very funny!

I enjoy their Jasmin et Cigarette, which really evokes the smell of jasmine and...cigarettes. Truly an ashtray topnote!

I also like the masculine-over-feminine notes in Delicious Closet Queen. A man in a tailored suit with frilly satin knickers on underneath! LOL!

Violet leaf, citrus, geranium, iris butter, cedar, patchouli, vetiver, strawberry, rose absolute, sandalwood, leather, tonka bean, benzoin, opoponax

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=47704

I enjoy the line of Histoires de Parfums, originally the scents were based on figures of history. I enjoy 1740 Marquis de Sade and 1725 Casanova, and 1873 Colette. Some scents are unisex. The line also features florals and tubereuse scents, as well.

I like the 1889 Moulin Rouge for its concept: there truly is a "feathery" note! I qualify this as a unisex--look at the notes: mandarin, plum, cinnamon, absinthe, rose, iris, patchouli, musk, vanilla and leather.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/01/06...e-new-perfume/
    Last edited by Primrose; 16th October 2010 at 04:27 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Most of the Comme des Garcons series scents are like that for me--especially Zagorsk, which evokes the incense-filled cathedrals of the ancient monastery town in Russia. The only problem is, I do not want to smell anything like that.

Basenotes Institution

Dry Clean (Series 6: Synthetic) by Comme des Garcons and Guerilla 1 by Comme des Garcons come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    There is another Kenzo with a time and place, but I don't recall the name.
    5:40 PM in Madagascar. I forgot about them! I'm gonna have to do some research. It sounds as if 5:40 PM in Madagascar is heavy on the vanilla, and not much else. Hopefully I can track down a sample.

I love fragrances like this as well. I look forward to more suggestions!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Great ones mentioned above. Come to think of it, this isn't a novel idea. Consider the classics by Guerlain and Caron (L'Heur Bleu, En Avion, etc.). They all had great stories and concepts behind them down to the bottle designs.

CB I Hate Perfume - Mr Hulot's Holiday. Trippy stuff. The Atlantic Coast

Last edited by adonis; 17th October 2010 at 08:31 AM.

How could I have forgotten about CB I Perfume! I own Mr. Hulots Holiday, At the Beach 1966, and Winter 1972. CB has cornered the market on this! Great stuff.

Les Parfums de Rosine's Écume de Rose always takes me to the beach (not the most masculine fragrance there is, though)

Sunset Over Santorini by Parfumerie Naturelle

It's not marketed 'high concept', but Fendi's (discontinued) Theorema Esprit d'Ete is all about eating an orange creamsicle on the beach, while slathered with suntan lotion. It's uncanny, sunny and fun.

The Eau d'Italie range's Baume du Doge or Un Bateau Pour Capri, even Sienne l'Hiver ("Winter in Siena"). Also Slumberhouse's Norne is supposed to be a headspace recreation of a walk in a wintery pine forest, very specific to a time and place I would have thought...

For me, one that is accurate in recreating a specific place/time is Lonestar Memories by Andy Tauer. Smelling it makes me think of a road trip across Texas.