Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What will be the next big thing?

What will be the next big thing in fragrances?

I don't mean what will be big for Fall/Winter 2010/2011 but rather I mean - where are we headed?

Since the Cool Water aquatics revolution has stuck around for over twenty years are we doomed to suffer aquatic after aquatic as the 'popular music' of fragrances? Or will something new come along and just sweep the frag world off its feet?

Pepper seems to be a big note of late. Or perhaps men's fragrances will become more and more unisex? Or maybe there is some niche frag or note out there that will inspire the designer fragrance houses for the next twenty years.

What do you guys think?

Default Re: What will be the next big thing?

More designer fragrances for pets.
    Last edited by Rosehavn; 16th October 2010 at 05:05 PM.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    More designer fragrances for pets.
    Nice! What kind of notes?

I wonder if they'll have pet fragrances that have human flanker fragrances...

DeepSilence

I think gender will replace! Coming soon we should wear Anais Anais, and females will wear Encre Noir.
    And name of One Man Show will change to One Woman Show!!
    But really i think, we will not have gender at all.

Actually Encre Noir might work well on some women. Something dark, powerful and mysterious. And I am aware there is a female version - I am speaking of the male version.

Photorealistic scents , absolute facsimiles from nature perhaps .

Maybe superluxe fragrances that are beyond the realms of us mere mortals but I guess they are already around

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Photorealistic scents , absolute facsimiles from nature perhaps .

Maybe superluxe fragrances that are beyond the realms of us mere mortals but I guess they are already around
    As soon as you said photo-realistic scents I immediately though of Dirt http://www.demeterfragrance.com/Prod...?ProductID=853

Maybe an enhances photo realism that captures the scents of a memory of a scene and enhances them!

Its hard to find a new frag without a grapefruit note these days.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I have been pondering this question myself for several months now. I think the change is here already, its just taking alittle bit of time to register.

Narciso Rodriguez tried to change it all single handedly with his creations, but there were no follow-ups or copies (kinda like how the BMW X6 didn't really catch on, even though Acura followed with the ZDX). Plus not enough people were sick of aquatic junk yet, or maybe they were hopeful for something else that will change it all. If you haven't sampled NR, please do, or at least read the reviews.

So, what has been succesful in redirecting the future so far? I think the following frags are up to something:

Kenzo Tokyo
    Armani Attitude
    Encre Noir
    He Wood by DSquared (and all its flankers)
    Givenchy Play
    Bang by Marc Jacobs

And I am sure there are others I haven't tried yet. I think the change was brought about by Thierry Mugler Angel/A*Men, hence why we keep getting flankers. If you sampled all I have listed including the Muglers, there is a common gourmandish note that is prevalent. It can be swetened or darkened.

There were three other tries (in no particular order):

Lolita Lempicka's Au Masculine, though I don't think LL was trying to revolutionize. It was too one dimensional, which equals booring. Kenzo Air tried to as well, but no dice.

The second was a unisex spicy thing, but didn't take off either it was too one dimensional still. Trussardi's Essenza del Tempo and Kenzo L'Eau Par Kenzo Eau Indigo are examples.

The third and more successful was the 'frosted synthetic' group; Versace Man Eau Fraiche, Paco Rabanne Black XS, Polo Explorer, there are several more that I can't think of now. They all follow the concept of Issey Miyake's ever popular L'Eau D'Issey.

There were a few gems that managed to pass under the radar. Notably Masaki Matsushima Mat Very Male. It blends everything into one sumptuos jus (with the exception of the frosted synthetic guys). It is simply lovely.

In conclusion, I say the revolution is here, though silently. Companies are ruled by money and not creativity, therefore, popular junk will live until consumers demand better, by buying what they like. So if we want a change, we demand it by boycotting the fresh laundry aquatic messes.

For me, I will continue to seek out gems like Mat Very Male, Encre Noir and Narciso Rodriguez for Him. And Bang for that matter.

Just my .02
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Nothing too fancy or futuristic, just the return of powerhouse, leathery and more conservative scents, I guess

DeepSilence

oops, Wrong post

I think the next big trend will either be with something wood related, or gourmand related.

With so many new releases all the time, it's really hard for any one frag to jump out and start a whole movement because it just gets lost in the shuffle. However I do see quite a few new ones that are along either that woody region or some sort of gourmand.

PS - check this thread...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

More unisex-to-feminine scents for men....

well i see it going two ways: one we continue having these citrus fresh frags for men, or we will go to a more oriental gourmand type of fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Nothing too fancy or futuristic, just the return of powerhouse, leathery and more conservative scents, I guess
    I agree, Ken. And classic Old Spice might just be leading this.

Sur la Plage

Fragrances for people who actually like fragrances - hopefully.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    So, what has been succesful in redirecting the future so far? I think the following frags are up to something:

Kenzo Tokyo
    Armani Attitude
    Encre Noir
    He Wood by DSquared (and all its flankers)
    Givenchy Play
    Bang by Marc Jacobs
    I personally don't see how He Wood (and also Attitude & Play) is really "changing things". Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love He Wood, but it's still quite on the fresh side.

I see 3 trends about to begin: Another era of powerhouse fragrances for both men and women
    More florals for men, as what's already happening in niche trickles down to designer and mass
    New companies offering accessibly-price custom fragrance

fountain

tri*men by thierry mugler, followed by
    tri*men impurity
    Last edited by fountain; 16th October 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Tobacco Notes...

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Fragrances for people who actually like fragrances - hopefully.
    I was thinking this as well. Considering how many people are coming out of the woodwork on YouTube and reviewing fragrances, it seems as if they are more popular now. At least for men anyway. That and also considering how many houses are coming out with "exclusive" lines of fragrances for weirdos like us.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I'm tired of oud, I'm tired of unisex scents that are honestly more feminine (to me) than masculine... I anticipate just as stated above a shift towards "retro" scents that are more reminiscent of over-powered men's scents from the 80's and 70's. For the niche, perhaps a return to more classic styled scents that evoke prior century style scents.

Who knows. Perhaps the death of aquatics, return of fougères perhaps?

Blog Entries

Personally i dont see any trend forming, or any death of a trend. Aquatics and light woodies continue to thrive in the mainstream, while the more challenging orientals and fougeres remain popular with people like us, not the average joe. All i see happening is more options from the same genres that exist now. I'm still waiting to see if a new branch sprouts out. Womanity kind of brought in a salty-sweet thing to the industry, that could potentially go somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Tobacco Notes...
    Yeah, yeah.... maybe... but that's more "fashion" than a "next big thing." That's like wide vs. narrow ties. It's still a tie.

The only "big thing," the only true inflection point which has happened in fragrance in recent years was Calone which ushered in a whole new family of fragrances, the aquatic or marine scents.

While some people thing that Calone smells somehow "acquatic," the fact is that Calone is 100% synthetic. It has nothing to do with anything in nature.

I think that the "next big thing" will be something like Calone, a purely synthetic molecule not found in nature which launches fragrance in a whole new direction.

Next big thing will be luxe retro. Some enterprising perfumer will buy product placements on "Mad Men" and make a killing.

Nobody ever lost money underestimating the American public's tastes when it comes to crass, mass-market, totally manufactured, today's-now-sounds retrofitted to "retro" styles. Don't believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Next big thing will be luxe retro. Some enterprising perfumer will buy product placements on "Mad Men" and make a killing.

Nobody ever lost money underestimating the American public's tastes when it comes to crass, mass-market, totally manufactured, today's-now-sounds retrofitted to "retro" styles. Don't believe the hype.
    Agreed. Smell like Don Draper, hopefully you too will score with the ladies.

The next big thing will probably be built around whatever is new in the fragrance chemistry area. A new aroma chemical will turn the trick. The new magic requires the right hook to lure a new generation of fragrance creators to develop the new big trend to lead a long line of ever increasingly improving scents. Recently we've seen many great Iso E Super dominant fragrances and also the Ambroxan fragrances. There was a mini flurry of great scents built around the new synthetic iris note - but so far this hasn't struck gold. The Oud synthetic notes have had a little play but have not hit home with the general public.

I wish I knew what is next but there are no clues that I can tell.

Ultra transparent frags, otherwise known as perfumer's alcohol. LOL.

I think the market for strictly fresh, clean scents will broaden, moving away from aquatics and toward soapy/starchy/clean scents. Mugler Cologne only seems to be gaining popularity, and other houses like Prada and Versace are breaking into this realm.

I think "light" gourmands will come to be. I already see D&G's "The One" as moving into this realm, and I'm sure there are others. Basically lighter versions of A*Men, Rochas, etc. with more mainstream topnotes, and somewhat subdued strength.

And finally, woods. Woods are already gaining strength, and I don't see this trend going away anytime soon. I think a lot of more mainstream, designer offering are going to feature woods. Again, I see "The One" as a bit of an indicator here. It's popular, but is sort of atypical when compared to the stuff sitting next to it on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Personally i dont see any trend forming, or any death of a trend. Aquatics and light woodies continue to thrive in the mainstream, while the more challenging orientals and fougeres remain popular with people like us, not the average joe. All i see happening is more options from the same genres that exist now. I'm still waiting to see if a new branch sprouts out. Womanity kind of brought in a salty-sweet thing to the industry, that could potentially go somewhere
    You know, I think you are bang on. I do see some cross over - but I don't really see much change - just diversification. This is OK with me. I actually don't mind a good aquatic either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gollnick View Post
    Yeah, yeah.... maybe... but that's more "fashion" than a "next big thing."
    I was being flippant... based on next years A*Men Pure Havane and the crazy response to it's predecessor.

Apparently there is a trend in the womens fashion industry, "Hemlines go up in a boom, down in a recession", fashion itself gets less daring in austere times. Since fragrance is so heavily connected to fashion, I don't expect something with the shock of the original A*Men any time soon. I would expect more 'safe' inoffensive scents for a few years, more Bulgari Man and Chanel Blu.

I agree though that the next noticable trend that will appear after this austere time will be based on a new chemical, one that is not as versatile as Iso E Super. Calone is not very versatile, you can only really make one type of fragrance with it.

Oh, and according to the Bo Jensen site, Calone is supposed to mimic the excretions of seaborne algae... no wonder I hate the smell of it!

fountain

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Ultra transparent frags, otherwise known as perfumer's alcohol. LOL.
    you're brilliant. so true.

I don't get the misconception that all last released fragrances are "aquatic"?
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

New Theirry Mugler stuff, A*Men ... Something..

I too think that the lines between genders will be continually blurred. It's already happening without anyone knowing. The more fruit-patchouli dipped in sugar scents that come out, the more conditioned consumers are becoming to the eventual mainstream introduction of the unisex trend. Sure there will be apprehension at first, but when the consumer smells Fragrance XYZ Pour Tous, they'll go "wait a minute, this smells like One Million!" and thus a new era will have begun. Also, though it pains me to say it (considering how I dislike it), I don't see how Oud doesn't become popular over here. Perhaps Tom Ford was just a decade early on that bandwagon.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

More pink pepper.

Going on what I see at the moment...

Generic citrus freshies will remain as popular as they've always been, in some form or another.

Aquatics will continue to decline in popularity, as people exercise less and eat more.

Gourmands will continue to gain in popularity, as people exercise less and eat more.

Unisex will continue to grow as a category, mainly because it's a lucrative way to sell more of the same product to everyone.

Mainstream fragrances will continue to smell more and more alike.

Niche presence will grow, with more lines and a larger audience.

Mainstream lines will continue to produce "exclusive" lines to cash in on said niche market.

A combination of the previous two will blur the lines in the already blurry niche/designer spectrum.

Perfumers will become a greater part of marketing a fragrance, especially in niche.

"Luxury" lines will continue to try top each other in price.

Prices will go up everywhere, in every category, for everything.

Reformulations will continue apace, and stab your favorite fragrances in their tender bits.

We'll all die in 2012, so don't worry about buying back-ups.

I'd follow the money trail. Chanel Bleu is selling tremendously well. It's the first male Chanel in a long time not based pour femme. How is Womanity selling by chance? Today's NYT has declared the death of waif-like male fashion models and replaced them with older ''muscle Marys'' (words of Christopher Chong today).

The prediction I'll make is a decline in the Niche market and unisex market, and a broadening of the designer market complete with a marked and identifiable gender difference until the current economic climate is at least a decade behind us. We as a people like muscles and large chins, boobs and periods during times like these, not blurred lines. The fragrance industry has no choice but to follow.
    ^^^^^^^
    Clumsily worded perchance but likely somewhat accurate.

Fragrances:

... which become very unique on each individual
    ... which have completely unheard of notes
    ... which are "green" (going on the environmentally friendly marketing scheme)
    ... which have notes that more closely resemble those found in nature
    ... which really last all day and radically change depending on the time (time - released)

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    I'd follow the money trail. Chanel Bleu is selling tremendously well. It's the first male Chanel in a long time not based pour femme. How is Womanity selling by chance? Today's NYT has declared the death of waif-like male fashion models and replaced them with older ''muscle Marys'' (words of Christopher Chong today).

The prediction I'll make is a decline in the Niche market and unisex market, and a broadening of the designer market complete with a marked and identifiable gender difference until the current economic climate is at least a decade behind us. We as a people like muscles and large chins, boobs and periods during times like these, not blurred lines. The fragrance industry has no choice but to follow.
    ^^^^^^^
    Clumsily worded perchance but likely somewhat accurate.
    Well then we completely disagree. In all honesty, the only way I see this happening is by complete chance, because I don't see any concrete evidence to support it. It seems, to me at least, that the niche market drives future mainstream trends. Unisex has become increasingly more and more prominent in niche over the years, and it is slowly trickling into the designer world. SAs are becoming more knowledgeable (SOME, hardly all), and recognizing opportunities to sell feminines to men and vice versa. Black Orchid was originally released as a feminine and is now marketed as unisex.

In another area of personal interest, the music industry (in particular Hip-Hop), you are seeing very prominent public figures pushing fashion trends that are increasingly feminine in nature (at least compared to even a decade ago). I'm not saying everyone is going to jump head first into this, but IMO, it appears to be the inevitable next step in fashion/fragrance.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

More of the same, only dumber and less interesting.
    For example, more rock group fragrances.

I'd love to be completely wrong. The direction things seem to be going at the moment suits me very well. I just have this sinking feeling we're going to see more "Giorgio Beverely Hills Giorgio's" than "Cologne pour le Soirs."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post

More of the same, only dumber and less interesting.
    For example, more rock group fragrances.

To be fair, My Chemical Romance is a great name for a fragrance...

Snooky: smells of bar smoke, vomit, and stupidity.

Fragrances that make everyone love each other, like the one from The Story of a Murderer

Quote Originally Posted by Rescentment View Post
    Pepper seems to be a big note of late.
    True.....

....could CREED's Spice and Wood [read: CREED pepper and Cedar]
    ....be the new masculine model? :/

...and in general....
    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Going on what I see at the moment...

Generic citrus freshies will remain as popular as they've always been, in some form or another.

Aquatics will continue to decline in popularity, as people exercise less and eat more.

Gourmands will continue to gain in popularity, as people exercise less and eat more.

Unisex will continue to grow as a category, mainly because it's a lucrative way to sell more of the same product to everyone.

Mainstream fragrances will continue to smell more and more alike.

Niche presence will grow, with more lines and a larger audience.

Mainstream lines will continue to produce "exclusive" lines to cash in on said niche market.

A combination of the previous two will blur the lines in the already blurry niche/designer spectrum.

Perfumers will become a greater part of marketing a fragrance, especially in niche.

"Luxury" lines will continue to try top each other in price.

Prices will go up everywhere, in every category, for everything.

Reformulations will continue apace, and stab your favorite fragrances in their tender bits.
    I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    Fragrances that make everyone love each other, like the one from The Story of a Murderer
    Miller McCune just published a frighteneing article on big business spending funds on research......research to identify, isolate, and subsequently produce the "trust" aromachemical. Oxytocin, they've already identified it and tested it.

Here's the issue it headlined:

The future sounds pretty slick for the rich liars.

Dependent

- Space, galaxy, planet-inspired fragrances.
    - Fragrances that can last a month on skin.
    - Flankers of rip-offs.
    - Fragrances you can drink and wear.
    - Fragrances that change to a cool new color when exposed to UV.
    - Niche houses decide to expand into apparel, to compete with Creed.
    - Sport fragrances that help you excel in basketball, or any other sport really.
    - ELDO decides to do a fragrance inspired by Creed (the music band)
    - Niche houses to indicate more blatantly ie. Unisex Male perfume, or Unisex Female cologne. Unisex is not enough.
    - More fragrances are prepared without alcohol, and are airmail-friendly.
    - Montale has 203054040606 more Aoud fragrances.
    - Pure Barley
    - Pure Wheat
    - Pure Flour
    - Axe bites into the niche/exclusive pie.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Fragrances you can drink and wear.
    This is my feeling about my fragrances.

fragmentation and polarization.

fragmentation = more niche fragrances (influences of the net)
    polarization = unisex vs return of loud hypermasculine scents

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    - Space, galaxy, planet-inspired fragrances.
    - Fragrances that can last a month on skin.
    - Flankers of rip-offs.
    - Fragrances you can drink and wear.
    - Fragrances that change to a cool new color when exposed to UV.
    - Niche houses decide to expand into apparel, to compete with Creed.
    - Sport fragrances that help you excel in basketball, or any other sport really.
    - ELDO decides to do a fragrance inspired by Creed (the music band)
    - Niche houses to indicate more blatantly ie. Unisex Male perfume, or Unisex Female cologne. Unisex is not enough.
    - More fragrances are prepared without alcohol, and are airmail-friendly.
    - Montale has 203054040606 more Aoud fragrances.
    - Pure Barley
    - Pure Wheat
    - Pure Flour
    - Axe bites into the niche/exclusive pie.
    you summed it up Matt lol

As of late, it seems like tonka is becoming a huge fad. I enjoy tonka but in large doses it can get pretty sickening.

I think the "next big thing" is going to be fragrance sets. Like Big Pony, Cartier has some as does Hermes of course, though older but just recently getting a lot of attention. Other labels are putting out these sets as well, Prada has some I believe.

nature.
    birds and feathers.
    smooth by all means.
    Have you tried the new Juliette has a Gun fragrance called "Not a Perfume"? that is the tomorrow thing. It is something Geza Schoen did with ISO E SUPER, this time we are talking about Ambroxan.

light, sheer and deep.

Blog Entries

My opinion is that serious fragrance users will gravitate to the niche industry and largely already have, of course classics will still have a following and the emphasis on delineating male from female fragrances will all but disappear as well they should.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Well then we completely disagree. In all honesty, the only way I see this happening is by complete chance, because I don't see any concrete evidence to support it. It seems, to me at least, that the niche market drives future mainstream trends.
    Speaking purely from anecdotal/personal experience, I can confirm that Darryl J. is pretty much dead on in terms of Chanel Bleu. I work in beauty retail in NYC--the one place you would think would be more cutting edge and daring in terms of frag purchases--and Chanel Bleu sells like nobody's business. I also agree with his perception that until we ride out the downturn, people are going to cling to classics, longer hems, and periods--not unisex (or "universal", as we have been instructed to call it) frags/fashion.

I think you are right about the niche market leading, certainly, but I also think it's possible that a significant economic downturn could be enough of a force to alter the direction of an industry.

If the pop music world is anything to go by, it'll be Lady Kaka style bodily fluids, very metallic and shocking scents... Let's hope not, and that all dies out as quickly as it started!!
    LOST! in scent and music

More liquor companies to promote their own scents.

Another thing I think we will see more of the next couple of years is designer fragrances making more EdP flankers for males (not unisex EdPs). Theres really not that many designer EdPs for males as of now (Dior Homme Intense, Guerlain Homme Intense to name a few)....

... well, its just a thought!

Le Labo Iso E Super 1 by Geza Schoen sold as a city exclusive in Berlin.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here