Code of Conduct
    Point Blank

Question Vanilla + Incense?

I really like the drydown of Tom Ford extreme - the combo of vanilla and incense sticks. However, it does have sillage and longevity issues. So. I'm looking for suggestions for other fragrances that have this vanilla + incense component.

I usually prefer incense notes a bit more subtle - the CdG line is bordering on the unwearable imo - I don't want to smell like incense per se, I rather look for a oriental/sweet base with an incense aspect if that makes sense...

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Vanilla + Incense?

Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Tonka
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Point Blank

How about VC&A Midnight in Paris? How would it compare to TF Extreme? Other suggestions?

For "cheapos" that are good, there is Jacomo Rouge and Mesmerize for Men by Avon. JR is drier and a bit gourmand. My favorite is Messe de Minuit, but it has more patchouli than vanilla.

L'Occitane's Eau des Baux

l'Air du Desert Marocain

Perhaps Costume National 21? Creamy and soft incense with some spices, florals and woods. But the incense is always prominent. Enough for you to tell its incense, but not enough to smell like a church.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Point Blank

I prefer spice over florals generally, especially florals tending to the feminine side. Vanilla Tonka is probably not my cup. I've tried L'air du desert Marocain I can't do with the floral aspect... I'm looking for more of a dense, amber, dark oriental-woody type fragrance, preferrably spicy, with incense. I'll check out everyone's suggestions.

Caliber 12

Vanilia by L'Artisan has an amber base so that might work...

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    I prefer spice over florals generally, especially florals tending to the feminine side. Vanilla Tonka is probably not my cup. I've tried L'air du desert Marocain I can't do with the floral aspect... I'm looking for more of a dense, amber, dark oriental-woody type fragrance, preferrably spicy, with incense. I'll check out everyone's suggestions.
    The description you give fits l'AdDM...
    But do I understand you correct, are you calling l'AdDM floral?? Or do you miss a floral aspect in it?

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    The description you give fits l'AdDM...
    But do I understand you correct, are you calling l'AdDM floral?? Or do you miss a floral aspect in it?
    I got florals from lAdDM - perhaps not dominating the fragrance but rose can ruin a fragrance for me and I that was the case with lAdDM I think.

Vanille 44 by Le Labo or the John Galliano Room Spray by Diptyque, which you can use as a skin scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    +1, it's exactly an incense then a vanilla. and it's well priced too.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Agreed

Shalimar has a lot of smoke and vanilla. I'm not sure if it actually contains any frankincense/incense, but it sure smells like it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Shalimar has a lot of smoke and vanilla. I'm not sure if it actually contains any frankincense/incense, but it sure smells like it does.
    Yes, it does

I love TFE and wish it would be better with better projection and longevity. Or be cheap enough to reapply. It's neither so I only use it in quiet times when I can reflect and enjoy. Too bad. For an 'extreme' is isn't very much that at all and it coming in an EDP would make this possibly better.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

XerJoff Modoc.

Basenotes Institution

Shalimar

There are literally thousands of perfumes with incense and vanilla notes, but it is much more common in ladies perfumes more than in gentlemen (Shalimar is a good example), so there is plenty from where to chose LOL.

My favorite: Signature for Men by S.T. Dupont
    Runner up: Witness by Jacques Bogart

but consider also:

L'Uomo by Trussardi
    Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge
    Gucci for men
    Antidote by Viktor&Rolf
    Tiffany for men
    Oscar de la Renta for men

and finally, Black Orchid by Tom Ford, although is listed for women, it is considered unisex by many.

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I love TFE and wish it would be better with better projection and longevity. Or be cheap enough to reapply. It's neither so I only use it in quiet times when I can reflect and enjoy. Too bad. For an 'extreme' is isn't very much that at all and it coming in an EDP would make this possibly better.
    I agree - it should come in EDP strength! I don't get Tom Ford - it seems quite haphazard what comes in EDT and what comes in EDP... Why not be consistent and release everything in EDP?

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    There are literally thousands of perfumes with incense and vanilla notes, but it is much more common in ladies perfumes more than in gentlemen (Shalimar is a good example), so there is plenty from where to chose LOL.

My favorite: Signature for Men by S.T. Dupont
    Runner up: Witness by Jacques Bogart

but consider also:

L'Uomo by Trussardi
    Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge
    Gucci for men
    Antidote by Viktor&Rolf
    Tiffany for men
    Oscar de la Renta for men

and finally, Black Orchid by Tom Ford, although is listed for women, it is considered unisex by many.
    Awesome. Signature for Men looks very interesting...

Point Blank

How does ST Dupont signature differ from TF Extreme? Is it correct that it has been discontinued? Seems like a blind buy is the only option here... :S

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Is it correct that it has been discontinued?
    As far as I know it is still in production.

Layer Guerlain's Spiriteuse Double Vanilla with CdG's Sequoia.

Creed's Angelique Encens fits your description and has excellent longevity on me at least.

This one's easy:
    * "Cologne Bois d'Argent" (Dior) is split down the middle in equal parts incense and vanilla, and you wouldn't expect a cologne concentration to have as much longevity as it does.
    * And Gucci pour Homme is a darker take on the vanilla and incense theme, with something animalic (civet?) going on as well.
    Both absolutely flawless.

I've recently got a bottle of the vintage, if it makes a difference, M7 and there is some strong similarities between TFE and M7. Not so surprising since M7 was the first frag to come out of YSL after Tom Ford took control. Other than the medicinal note that permeates M7 they are very, very close. TFE has a bit more of the powdery feel ramped up in it, as well.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Diptyque Eau Duelle , vanilla and incence its not horrendously expensive and its very very good imho

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    +1000

It has vanilla, incense and musk... irresistible!!

Basenotes Plus

+1 on ST Dupont Signature pour Homme - it's not too sweet, just awesome! Was a blind buy for me.

+1 on Diptyque's Eau Duelle esp. if you prize 'subtlety'.

I'm not too sure about Shalimar though - it could be tricky; the EDP has a lot more going on than vanilla & incense. Try it for yourself.

You could try Guerlain Bois d'Armenie or Fahrenheit Absolute (not incense, but vanilla and smokey rubber)

Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Tonka was the very first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title... it's awesome! Vanilla and Frankincense..... not too sweet...

Opium pour Femme has vanilla and incense.

The first thing that comes to mind is Body Kouros

Habit Rouge edp and Patchouli 24 (Le Labo)
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

I think that midnight in paris in the edp version is a great choice. The drydown has a beautiful accord of vanilla + tonka that ends in a light incense note with benjoim.
    I also think that bvlgari black has a smoke vanilla aura + the leather and rubber accord