Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default The Final Verdict: Mugler Cologne

I usually try to give myself a minimum of 6 months before I give an articulated opinion of a fragrance, however, Mugler Cologne is an exception. There's nothing very complex to it, there's nothing mind blowing, and ultimately, thats its purpose.

I got the 4.1oz hybrid bottle (splash and spray caps). I prefer the spray as I find splash bottles annoying. $70 at Macy's

The bottle itself, I love. It's simple, yet interesting, and i swear its made to illuminate the juice inside to a neon green. The box is white and silver, with the name in green.

I have no interesting back stories, no hate-to-love relationship with this like I do with 90% of Mugler's offerings. It's just a simple and pleasant odor!

The first spray of this is just green citrus. I can't pinpoint any specific notes in this till the drydown, its extremely well blended. No note ever dominates another, its a perfect blend. This gives way to an EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY low dosage of some spice that gives it the tiniest possible "zing", but its enough to put a smile on your face. The drydown is two parts: vetiver, the vetimusk (vetiver+musk). The vetiver is just clean, simple as that. Once the musk comes in, its a perfect combination of clean smells.

The longevity and projection on this is hysterical really. I've read numerous times that its got poor to okay longevity...this is the longest lasting fragrance i've ever used. If i sprayed it on my arm right now, it'd last till this time tomorrow, even through a shower. Not to mention the projection is STRONG 24 hours later. For a fresh fragrance this is PERFECT for me.

It can be used all year, but the warmer seasons are of course better for this one.

It reminds me of just getting out of the shower. Its fresh, clean, crisp, with some zing in it.

There really isn't much more to say, its fresh, smells great, isn't offensive, and (on me) lasts an eternity for a fresh fragrance. I needed something that wasn't heavy (just look at my wardrobe, thats practically all i have), something that was just fresh and pleasant. This fragrance fits that perfectly.
    WARNING:
    Don't expect anything complex or you will be disappointed.

I give it a 10/10 for its purpose, 9/10 for notes, and a 10/10 for overall smell.

Default Re: The Final Verdict: Mugler Cologne

I like it too, i compared this frag with original vetiver but to me ov lasted longer on my skin for some reason and with mc it had this neroli mix that I am not a fan of. Nonetheless, if one wants a fresh frag for a good price this would be it.

what are the difference between EDT and EDC?
    and whats "better" in terms of smelling
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzˇw

I don't like it, it smells plasticy and synthetic. Fake chemical freshness.
    I recognised this fragrance on some girls in a club, and it only made my opinion about Mugler Cologne worse.

fountain

forgettable, imo.

I think this has taken the cologne-style of perfumery to its apex.
    In my mind, the function of cologne is to provide an impression of cleanliness and freshness. As L.T. notes, Mugler accomplished this by using a massive amount of a synthetic that smells like hot steam and ramping it up with a bit of pale aldehydes. What a refreshing rebuke of the tired, watery, citrus-based formulas we've had until this! And unlike nearly all colognes, it has impressive staying power.
    It's the only cologne in my wardrobe and likely will remain so for a long time.

I agree, it's nothing special. Based on the hype I received before I tried it, it was a definite disappointment

I don't like it. You compliment the longevity and sillage. I agree with you that strength and longevity are outstanding, but ultimately this was the problem for me: it became annoying and cloying in its insistent, sour/white musky freshness. I just didn't like to wear it. Also, this is the only fragrance I've ever received a complaint about.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Well, Mugler Cologne is nothing "special" indeed, but that's not it's purpose. It's just a very good, Extremely well blended cologne/fresh fragrance that lasts and lasts. I'm not a generous person when it comes to rating, but I'd give mugler cologne 9/10, what more can you ask for for such a price? A well blended summer fragrance that lasts and project, and it simply just smells pleasant. I bought this one on the spot, even though I always had trouble picking up a fresh fragrance.

Having said that, I completely agree with the Neurosis.

I agree with you, Evoke. I don't think cologne-style fragrance is supposed to be complex or arresting. That would miss the point.

Most citrus-heavy scents turn bitter on my skin, so colognes don't occupy a huge part of my collection; besides, I find most of them boring. Mugler Cologne is one of the few exceptions, precisely because it is so oddly synthetic and unnaturally, almost unnervingly, bright and clean. I get a kick out of its "space age" feel. The citrus (lime rather than lemon or bergamot, another nice twist) fades quickly, and the musk/steam/vetiver accord takes over and lasts an eon. The projection is appropriately minimal, but it stays noticeable and reappears in whiffs throughout the day. Fresh, sheer, soapy scents are usually completely anaethema to my tastes, but even I have a place for something like Mugler Cologne in my wardrobe. A unique take on a tune that's been played to death. Well made and very well priced. It deserves its good reputation.

I like Mugler Cologne alot even though it might be considered synthetic... better than the other plastic crap TM is offering like A*Men and Pure Malt which smell like you got caught downwind in the billowing smoke of a tire fire.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    I think this has taken the cologne-style of perfumery to its apex.
    In my mind, the function of cologne is to provide an impression of cleanliness and freshness. As L.T. notes, Mugler accomplished this by using a massive amount of a synthetic that smells like hot steam and ramping it up with a bit of pale aldehydes. What a refreshing rebuke of the tired, watery, citrus-based formulas we've had until this! And unlike nearly all colognes, it has impressive staying power.
    It's the only cologne in my wardrobe and likely will remain so for a long time.
    Exactly. I can't stand aquatics with their overdosed citrus and lack-luster attempts at being "woody" in the base. This fragrance gives that freshness, yet stands out as better than the rest. And this is coming from a person who absolutely HATES anything that isn't an oriental

I am so relieved to have a much more expert person than myself agree with me on this! I'm a floriental lover myself, just as you are an oriental lover yet we both like Cologne. Maybe it can best be described as the cologne for people who don't like cologne? :-)

I personally love Mugler Cologne. It doesn't resemble traditional cologne yet is bright, fresh and vibrant without being boring or short lived.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Perhaps it's mainly my dislike for vetiver what makes me say, I've never been a fan of this. Clean OK, long lasting OK - that's all.

I have a 10.2 bottle that is a splash. I want to try and get the sprayer for it. Where would I look for this? Google yields me zippo unless I want to buy a whole new additional bottle. Which I might if the price was right and could get the sprayer to use it on my other bottle as well.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

It's good to have something different IMO.

In my opinion, I find in Mugler cologne even common points and notes with various Old-School colognes, thus my extreme liking for this frag

so many entries and noone said about comparition edc to edt, so im asking again whats better? for You?
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzˇw

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yrk View Post
    so many entries and noone said about comparition edc to edt, so im asking again whats better? for You?
    I didn't know there was an EdC or an EdT, as far as I know its just "Mugler Cologne"

I remember trying this for the first time, after seeing it listed as "same as Creed Original Vetiver". Now, I had already been a huge fan of original vetiver for some time, and when I finally smelled Mugler, I immediately noticed how very similar their synthetic green heartnotes were. They are no doubt both based on a common synthetic combination, highlighted by hexenol-3-cis and laundry musks.

The only problem came in what surrounded that synthetic heart accord. In OV, it's surrounded by sharp natural citrus, smooth, natural herbs, a well done sandalwood note, and some light, classy florals and spice. In Mugler, the same green accord is surrounded with what I call "Dishsoap citrus" and "dishsoap florals", which for me, doesn't work. Covering synthetics with even more obvious synthetics, and leaving the whole thing a little wet and femme smelling, just doesn't cut it. That's how I felt as first sniff, and still how I feel now. It's good, and with a very good idea, but the composition needs more notes that impart some light woodiness or a natural vibe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    In Mugler, the same green accord is surrounded with what I call "Dishsoap citrus" and "dishsoap florals", which for me, doesn't work. Covering synthetics with even more obvious synthetics, and leaving the whole thing a little wet and femme smelling, just doesn't cut it. That's how I felt as first sniff, and still how I feel now. It's good, and with a very good idea, but the composition needs more notes that impart some light woodiness or a natural vibe.
    for the sake of argument, thats the point of it really: a clean smell. It's not meant to have depth or anything thats going to pique the interest of people who appreciate complexity. Plus its Mugler, of course synthetics are going to run rampant through this haha. You are right about the "femme smelling" part as it is unisex, its definitely not straight masculine

My only problem with Mugler's Cologne is that it's unisex and says nothing - which is the thought I have of many of the older style unisex scents. I do think it it smells very good on women, my then girlfiend at the time it came out loved it, as does my wife now.

By way of contrast, Creed's Original Vetiver is very similar, but has those added elements which make it smell more masculine and says something i.e. man is here vs nice scent is here.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    My only problem with Mugler's Cologne is that it's unisex and says nothing - which is the thought I have of many of the older style unisex scents. I do think it it smells very good on women, my then girlfiend at the time it came out loved it, as does my wife now.

By way of contrast, Creed's Original Vetiver is very similar, but has those added elements which make it smell more masculine and says something i.e. man is here vs nice scent is here.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by yrk View Post
    what are the difference between EDT and EDC?
    Actually, there isn't an EDC of this one, it's called "Cologne" but it's an EDT, and a strong one.

Personally, I'm a very big fan of Mugler Cologne.
    No depth ? Well, maybe not in the smell itself but it deeply brightens my mood, though
    Can't agree more on the longevity, it's one of the longest lasting I know.
    I think it's a real unisex -so it obviously has a touch of "feminine"- wonderful on both women and men.
    At very first spray (on paper) at perfume shop, I thought "just a citrus, nothing special", then in the way back home, I smelled again and realised how it was amazing. I HAD TO have it, and bought it next day.
    I know it's certainly not a shared opinion, but I also find it very sexy, maybe 'cause I prefer women smell "clean" rather than "flowery".
    It will certainly be in my wardrobe forever, and I add a thumb up for the price, which is more than correct for big quantity bottles.

Oh yeah, I LOVE this one ! <3

Unfortunately, I find 4711 superior.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    I personally love Mugler Cologne. It doesn't resemble traditional cologne yet is bright, fresh and vibrant without being boring or short lived.
    I absolutely agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I absolutely agree.
    +1 here. Does this remind anyone of Yardley soaps?

For whatever it's worth, it's the only fragrance my 3-year-old son wears. ha!

If he's around when I'm putting anything on, then he'll immediately ask for "the green one!"

Its good for what it is
    fresh and clean cologne
    I have yet to try Creeds OV, this thread definitely got me interested, as I consider myself a fan of Mugler cologne, although not a huge one
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Love it, and for an EDC it has great longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    I am so relieved to have a much more expert person than myself agree with me on this! I'm a floriental lover myself, just as you are an oriental lover yet we both like Cologne. Maybe it can best be described as the cologne for people who don't like cologne? :-)
    That may very well be it. I wear mostly orientals, chypres and leathers, traditional colognes bore me to tears, but I really enjoy this one. Bright, clean, green and blatantly synthetic, which is part of the appeal, and there's something in it that peaks my interest more than any usual, clean citrus-based colognes or laundry detergent musks do.

And, yes, completely unisex, as is Original Vetiver, by the way - I like and can quite happily wear both, but I find the Creed hideously overpriced.

I also really like the clean, freshness of Mugler. However, I'm surprised to see so many talk of its longevity. I can barely smell it after 3 hours, which is its main drawback for me. But while I can still smell it, I'm in heaven.

This is a case of fantastic idea and intriguing composition, but flawed one in the end.

I used to adore this, it's still my wifes favorite on me - but not mine. It's not a complicated fragrance prima facie, but almost every fragrance is complicated in a way - first time you smell it you only get an idea, and that idea about Mugler Cologne is what I love. My wife only gets occasional whiffs, whereas when I wear a fragrance I sniff myself constantly (yes, it makes me look moronic). Thus I believe I've got to the point of 'understanding' it; to smell it for what it is. Now it smells sour and plasticky to my nose.

This might be something that separates good fragrances from great ones. Masterpieces are the fragrances you love even after getting to the bottom of them, so to speak.

I like to use Mugler Cologne for layering.

For me, no negatives about this fragrance.

I have a bottle and I wear it maybe once a month. I do not hate it but it is not a favorite.

I wear Mugler Cologne to the gym. After fooling around with it for a few weeks, I decided this is the best place and occasion for me to wear it. And it's perfect for this reason. A couple sprays and it leaves a clean, vibrant aura throughout my workout and keeps me refreshed....aside from that I find little reason to wear it elsewhere....but I don't need to. I also imagine it will work well as a morning scent when the weather gets warmer. Good stuff.