Code of Conduct

Default Can you dirty-up a bottle of new Jicky?

I have a nice new refill bottle of Jicky - bought it last winter - and while it's fine on the sweet and light notes, it is definitely lacking in the infamous "dirty" notes.

I'm thinking it might be possible to adjust it by layering with a (synthetic) civet oil, purchased from one of my local fragrance shops.

What do my basenotes blender buddies have to say about this - think it's possible to get even close to the original this way? Or should I just search around online and pay a lot of money for a vintage bottle?

The new bottle is OK, but it's just missing that little extra thrill that I keep reading about when it comes to vintage versions.

Any ideas?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Can you dirty-up a bottle of new Jicky?

Buy another formulation of Jicky. Which one did you buy?
    Buy vintage Jicky.
    Buy Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain.

I have a bottle of MdM on order. Thanks for the tip. Still, I'd like to find a layering option that livens up my recent Jicky purchase. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Still, I'd like to find a layering option that livens up my recent Jicky purchase. Any ideas?

Ajmal Musk Ghazelle AA

I think it is all in the concentration. The EDT has a lot less civet and much more citrus. The extrait is just luscious and dense - and I don't notice the civet as much. The PDT/EDP is much more heavily involved with the poopie notes.

Many times, I layer a couple of daubs of extrait with a good blast of PDT to the chest.

Teddius

Mouchoir does have a lot more civet in the topnotes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    I think it is all in the concentration. The EDT has a lot less civet and much more citrus. The extrait is just luscious and dense - and I don't notice the civet as much. The PDT/EDP is much more heavily involved with the poopie notes.
    +1, you need a poopier formulation.

As for layering, I don't know. There's no guarantee that the civet you try to layer with would match the civit that goes with Jicky. What if you had a (more common) urinous civet instead of a poopie civet!? No good, my friend, no good. Need those poopies.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

yes--but if you use civet oil, synthetic or not, use quite literally a pin head dipped into the oil and then stirred into one once of jicky parfum--this works beautifully--any more than that and you will smell like poop.