Code of Conduct

Default YSL La Nuit de L'Homme

All this waiting for this scent to appear in a major department store got me frustrated, so I made my way to the YSL boutique to test it today. YSL hasn't created a "warm" scent since Body Kouros so I made it an excursion of duty to find out what they had done to the original L'Homme.

First off, there is this big dose of coumarin. LOTS OF COUMARIN! It was rather thick and sweet, but you could catch the underpinnings of the original L'Homme in there. It is marketed in as a fresh oriental, but really the scent is deep to begin with. When I thought that this flanker was a bust thinking it would get even more sweeter and deeper, it did quite the opposite--it revealed more and more facets of the original L'Homme, but the coumarin had brought out the spicier facets of the fragrance and it did smell more woody. The drydown reveals the musk and cedar notes.

I like the original L'Homme's opening, but its development left me bored stiff because it smelled too linear. La Nuit is much more interesting because of how it lightens up and you detect the transition and the cedar note smells less bare.

It smells less complex than L'Homme, but I think it works fine in La Nuit. This fragrance puts me at ease after being blindsided by DKNY Men--I really did not like how the cedar was used there.

Give it a try, guys. It's not a scent that moves mountains, but it's still a pleasant oriental. I think others around you will appreciate you wearing it.

As for the La Nuit commercial, I didn't think Vincent Cassel fit it at all. To me he's a little to disturbing for the part of the smouldering seducer, and I didn't like that impish grin he had. Ah, what do I know. He's married to Monica Bellucci and I hate him even more for that, but I guess he's definitely got some je ne sais quois to merit the part.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Blog Entries

Default Re: YSL La Nuit de L'Homme

I like your analysis. What you report is very, very close to what I observed as well. I actually bought it after a 15 minute trial wear, and I'm quite happy with it. I think that many BNers were hoping for some kind of improvement over the original, and I would have to say that it really is better. But not only that - I think it's better in a way that BNer types will like. People who were hoping for something better definitely need to try this one.

However, I would also add that if you simply can't stand the original, then you will likely be disappointed by the fact that the relationship to the original scent is clear.

It`s a ...ok scent. But longevity is just as poor as the original..

This is another one that I tested in Atlanta recently.

I tried three (Bond Brooklyn, Pure Malt, and Nuit). Nuit may have been my wife's favorite. Brooklyn was probably mine, but all three were very nice scents. I still own none of them. Maybe I'll buy one of them in Charlotte next weekend for our 18th Anniversary...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    This is another one that I tested in Atlanta recently.

I tried three (Bond Brooklyn, Pure Malt, and Nuit). Nuit may have been my wife's favorite. Brooklyn was probably mine, but all three were very nice scents. I still own none of them. Maybe I'll buy one of them in Charlotte next weekend for our 18th Anniversary...
    Chuck,

Terre d'Hermes Parfum is coming out in August. When in Charlotte, look for a tester or who knows, maybe it is at counters Aug. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It`s a ...ok scent. But longevity is just as poor as the original..
    Agreed. It's perfectly pleasant, but practically vanishes after an hour or so. It stays VERY close to my skin too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    But longevity is just as poor as the original..
    The original seems to last longer on me.

La Nuit's longevity is about standard with today's mass market concentrations. 3-4 hours is about expected (and 2 hours is downright being a cheapskate) and its effect is subtle. I really don't want it to be too loud and too thick. That was what I was trying to avoid. I have a couple of scents that are loud and thick already.

I didn't realize how heavy the cap was. I tested the L'Hommes all without a cap.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 22nd July 2009 at 08:35 PM.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I think those expecting La Nuit to be the night shift of L'Homme may discover it's more like 2 hours overtime.

Believe me I understand that many have a devotion to L'Homme in the first place, but may I say I have never seen so many fans of a scent "struggle."

FLANKER FIGHT...Flanker Fight! I think it's love it or hate it for both versions. Can't win everyone. I think no matter what, YSL has to concentrate on its audacious edge. I think that is what the house is all about.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ortho123 View Post
    I think those expecting La Nuit to be the night shift of L'Homme may discover it's more like 2 hours overtime.

Believe me I understand that many have a devotion to L'Homme in the first place, but may I say I have never seen so many fans of a scent "struggle."
    LOL. Exactly. And any thoughts that this might have been the "extreme" version people were waiting for... immediately banished. Longevity is NOT helped in this version - at least not for me. But I already get decent longevity with the original.

They could have done a lot more with this scent. True - at least they made some noticeable changes. But I still think that the only people who will really like this are (1) those of us who liked the original, and (2) people who were very close to liking the original, and just missed the boat.

I think that the TdH Parfum has a much better chance of rocking BN. That one already has two feet in the door around here. The most TdH EdT has been accused of is being overplayed, or slightly overrated. I could blind-buy the parfum with no worries.

I'm waiting to see this so I can give it a test drive.....I can't wait.
    Gary

Sur la Plage

I tried it at Nordstrom. It was OK, but nothing special or worth purchasing. IMO, another in the long line of typical, generic, designer fragrances.

Longevity seems to be good - as long as you don't go "easy on the trigger".
    Last edited by petruccijc; 26th July 2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bought it as soon as it came out. Very pleasant scent.

I obviously bought it right when it came out. I also have L'homme ete 2008 and of course the original l'homme and i love em all

I still think it's one of my favourites. It's my most wearable scent by far. Very sweet but also very masculine. Everything else seems harsh in comparison, even the original L'Homme.

I definitely recommend it.

Sur la Plage

I can see lovers of the original L'Homme liking this a lot.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 26th July 2009 at 05:34 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bad ad campaign, Cassel is repulsive.
    The juice? Smells like the YSL accountants dumped some Dior Homme Intense into the original L'Homme. Not bad, but I'm not buying it.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th July 2009 at 11:18 PM.

I went into Von Maur here in Fort Wayne today just to see if they have La Nuit de L'Homme.

Turns out that they have inventory, but no tester, so they can't put it up yet. Darn it... I want to sample it.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Gorgeous Woods. The first Woods perfume that I smelled that I like.

It has lots of coumarin- really? I have coumarin (currently in form of a 1g coumarin in 8 ml alcoholic solution which I use in my DIY perfumery), so I know what pure coumarin smells like - but if it's present in great amount in La Nuit, I didn't really smell it.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    Gorgeous Woods. The first Woods perfume that I smelled that I like.

It has lots of coumarin- really? I have coumarin (currently in form of a 1g coumarin in 8 ml alcoholic solution which I use in my DIY perfumery), so I know what pure coumarin smells like - but if it's present in great amount in La Nuit, I didn't really smell it.
    I am liking Nuit even more and more. To compare it with the original, I literally get sick smelling it after a while for some reason. But somehow that coumarin brings out the best parts of the original.

Coumarin...from my understanding, has derivatives so they could smell different to to the raw material that you have, GourmandHomme. To my nose, this is the coumarin that I associate with the tonka note, which gives off a cinnamon vanilla aroma. My nose says there's a lot of coumarin evident in the beginning to make it that sweet. But it doesn't rival the amount of "vanilla" like notes to that of Pi or Allure Homme, for example.

Today it doesn't smell as heavy, but a tad more floral. Hmmm......must be the lesser amount of humidity today. It smells really good today!
    Last edited by iMaverick; 30th July 2009 at 08:28 PM.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I am flat-out loving this today! Much nicer in cooler temps than in the warmer weather. Three sprays is just about perfect. Along with Varvatos Vintage, I can see using this a lot all the way through Fall and Winter. Those two plus Dior Homme will be my cold weather go-to scents.

I loved this right when it came out and everyone on BN/interwebs was hating it.

I get pretty decent longevity on it too, but nothing amazing.

Its one of my favorites.

absolutely one of my favorites. the smell is so sexy to me, and on my skin it lasts and projects just as well as fragrances like le male and pure malt, ect.