Code of Conduct

Default Need a little help in identifying a perfume

Hi to all, I just wanted to ask a quick question, seeing as this website and forum is one of the best-known perfume review sites on the www. So, here is my story, if you care to indulge me for a minute:

Some 5-6-7 years ago, I was simply walking down the street that leads to my apartment (well, my dad's, but I digress), when, suddenly, a man in a suit passes by me, and on him, I smell what could have been the world's best perfume, something I had never smelled before, it was completely manly. After all these years, I've had a lot of perfumes, some which I enjoyed (Bulgari Aqua and Agua Brava by Puig), but none of those could compete with THAT smell, it was... magnificent. Now, I kindly ask you to help me identify that perfume's brand and type. I am not an expert in describing perfumes by far, well, in fact I'm less than a novice, but I will try my best to identify it. It was a strong perfume, very very manly, it smelled like tobacco and whiskey, no sweetness there (I hate sweet perfumes, why would a guy wear that), and it was tough, special, distinct. After my research here, I have come to the conclusion that it could have been the Quorum by Puig or maybe Havana by Aramis. But I'm not completely sure, and I really want this perfume, it is exactly my type, so, please, if you have any other ideas, please share them with me. Thank you in advance,

Sincerely,
    Alan from Romania

Default Re: Need a little help in identifying a perfume

I think it is Cigar Aficionado, it has been discontinued but still available in internet:
    http://www.fragrancenet.com/cigar-af...mf/en_US/00045

I don't think it's that. As I've read, that one is a little sweet, while the one that I smelled had nothing sweet about it.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors?

That could be it, unfortunately I can't find it in any online shop that ships to Romania. I'm still thinking the most plausible possibility is Quorum.

Perhaps it was one of the following:

Aramis for men
    Hugo Boss #1
    Paco Rabanne
    Chanel Antaeus
    Santos de Cartier
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Dior's Fahrenheit
    Dunhill for men (2003)
    Armani Mania/Emporio
    Guerlain Heritage, l'instant
    Lalique PH
    M7
    (outside shot) Creed BDP

At least those are a few guesses based on the little info given

kim
    Last edited by Snowbunny82; 17th October 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Sounds like Vintage Tabarome by Creed to me.

I'm not sure that Creed perfumes could be found in Romania 6-7 years ago,but it might be a possibility.

Anything else that could have been it? I'm thinking of blind buying like 5 perfumes just to find that special scent So, here's my probability list thus far:

1. Michael Kors - Michael for Men
    2. Alan Cumming - Cumming for Him
    3. Lalique - Encre Noir
    4. Caron - Yatagan
    5. Puig - Quorum
    6. Michael Storer - Monk
    7. Burberry - Burberry London for Men
    8. Aramis - Havana
    9. Amouage - Memoir Man
    10. Romeo Gigli - Romeo Gigli
    11. Creed - Tabarome
    12. Trussardi - Trussardi Uomo
    13.Thierry Mugler - A*Men Pure Malt
    14. Social Creatures - Rebel Ambush
    15. Lubin - Idole de Lubin
    16. Escada - Escada Homme
    17. D'Orsay - Le Dandy

Please add or substract from the list as you see fit, and add comments.

Quote Originally Posted by necrosero View Post
    Anything else that could have been it? I'm thinking of blind buying like 5 perfumes just to find that special scent So, here's my probability list thus far:

1. Michael Kors - Michael for Men
    2. Alan Cumming - Cumming for Him
    3. Lalique - Encre Noir
    4. Caron - Yatagan
    5. Puig - Quorum
    6. Michael Storer - Monk
    7. Burberry - Burberry London for Men
    8. Aramis - Havana
    9. Amouage - Memoir Man
    10. Romeo Gigli - Romeo Gigli
    11. Creed - Tabarome
    12. Trussardi - Trussardi Uomo
    13.Thierry Mugler - A*Men Pure Malt
    14. Social Creatures - Rebel Ambush
    15. Lubin - Idole de Lubin
    16. Escada - Escada Homme
    17. D'Orsay - Le Dandy

Please add or substract from the list as you see fit, and add comments.
    Which of the above are readily available in Romania? Wouldn't those be the ones to focus on?

Well, I can get most of them (except for Havana, Monk, Memoir Man and Romeo Gigli), from fragranceX.com (they ship to RO). Anyways, the idea is to identify it first.

And also 6-7 of those weren't in production 5-7 years ago, so you could eliminate those.

Another good guess would be MCM Success, which might have been available in Romania then. I think MCM is a German company and may have distributed to Romania.
    Last edited by noggs; 9th November 2010 at 01:48 PM.

Zino?

Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    Zino?
    No way, that's sweet...

Ok, so my final list of perfumes to be ordered is:

1. Cigar - Aficionado
    2. Michael Kors - Michael for Men
    3. Lalique - Encre Noire
    4. Caron - Yatagan
    5. Puig - Quorum
    6. Escada pour Homme
    7. Azzaro pour Homme
    8. Versace Man
    9. Baldessarini
    10. Remy Latour - Cigar
    11. Juicy Couture - Dirty English

Some of them are samples, others that I couldn't find samples for, are dirt cheap (i.e. Quorum). I just hope it's one of these. Fingers crossed.

At last, I have received my perfumes order from fragrancex, after a 3 weeks wait (kudos to them for not making me wait longer). So, I'll start posting my opinion on each and every one of the samples I've received:

1. Cigar - Aficionado
    I've bought a full 50 ml bottle. When I first sprayed it on my wrist, I thought, what the hell is this thing? It seemed very synthetic, very harsh and unmannered, sour, bitter and stingy, lemony like. After about 40 mins or so, it started to dry down into something much more interesting. Sure, the bitterness was still there, but there also was something else: it had developed into a somewhat sweeter mix of tobacco and cocoa. Yes, when I smelled it on my wrist, it smelled like a mix of cocoa and tobacco, with some lemon in it. I didn't dislike it anymore, but nor did I like it. It wasn't the perfume I was after.
    2. Michael Kors - Michael for Men
    I had high hopes for this one. Actually, I didn't expect to smell the way it did. After I sprayed it, it smelled like fruits, like dried fruits, actually like dried plums. I liked this smell, but I was waiting for more. It was actually sweeter than I had expected, way sweeter (but not sweet as in Le Male sweet, yuck). I waited and waited for it to change, but it didn't. I was waiting for the tobacco note, which didn't appear. Maybe my nose is underdeveloped, but all I could smell was fruits fruits fruits all along, even though "dark" and spicy and smoky fruits. No hint of tobacco whatsoever. I like this scent, but it is not what I was expecting. I will wear it from time to time, I think it is a nice fall/winter fragrance.
    3. Puig - Quorum
    All I can say is WOW. I had high hopes from this one, and I was NOT disappointed. I didn't actually think that it would smell like this, I mean, after reading all the reviews on Quorum, I thought that a beast would emerge upon spraying the juice. It didn't. For me, Quorum is a highly potent, highly organic, green, warm and in your face kinda scent. I love it and I will keep it in my wardrobe and wear it whenever I feel like busting balls.
    4. Azzaro PH
    I like it. I don't know, I have sprayed it and tested it over and over again, and I like it, I really do, but I feel there's something missing. I dislike the opening, it is pungent for me, but the drydown is superb. I kinda think that it does not suit me, and that Azzaro PH is a frag for a more distinguished, 35+ gentleman wearing a hat and coat.
    5. Versace - Man
    I really like it. Some reviewers here on BN say that it is too sweet. I do not find it to be sweet. Yes it is not brutal, it's not vetiver, but it's not that sweet either. I love that it smells so... unique. I find it quite linear though. I've failed to trace the tobacco note on this one too. I will wear it from time to time for its individuality.
    6. Baldessarini
    When I first sprayed it, I thought, wow, this smells nice! But... after a while I realized that it is way too sweet and somewhat synthetic for me to like. I don't really get why it says tobacco in its composition, it does not smell anything remotely related to tobacco. I would not wear it.
    7. D&G PH
    I hate it. It feels synthetic, bland and so dry and uninteresting that I've only sprayed it once to know that I really, really dislike it. I feel D&G will fail for eternity in making an interesting frag for me.
    8. Juicy Couture - Dirty English
    It's ok I guess. The drydown is better, but the opening (and it lasts for a couple of hours) smells so much like a medicine for wounds that can be found in my country (Rivanol - Ethacridine lactate), that I ended up disliking it. I don't wanna smell like a hospital.
    9. Burberry - London
    I like this scent, but it is sweet, too sweet for me. The cinnamon note is so pregnant, that it is the only one I can smell. Where the hell is that port wine? And the tobacco, where art thou? Skipped it.
    10. Lalique - Encre Noire
    I saved the best for last. I've just found my new sig frag. Although it has nothing to do with tobacco, being a pure vetiver, I am in love with EN! It fits me like a glove (me being the bla bla mysterious type, or so my friends say), that I cannot imagine wearing anything else on a daily basis (maybe except for Quorum). I have ordered a full 100 ml bottle of it, which should arrive on Tuesday. Can't wait!

So, this is it. I have failed to find that long lost perfume, but I have a new one, and a sig frag for that! Thank you for all your advice and... Happy New Year!

Wiskey Tobacco?
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121698.html

Le Dandy?
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120971.html

Is what i found with Wiskey and Tobacco. The first has it even in the name!
    Check this out!

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

They ship to Romania.On the checkout use code "free"

Do you guys even read what is written on this thread? *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by necrosero View Post
    Do you guys even read what is written on this thread? *sigh*
    I tried to help with i found containing whiskey tobacco!

Thats the only thing that you said about your missed fragrance on that gentleman with suit.

What part i missed on this thread?

Sorry to hear you didn't find the scent you were looking for, but nice to hear you found some new favorites! Thanks for sharing. Encre Noir is a fantastic fragrance. Keep sampling, I think the chances are good you will eventually stumble across the fragrance you seek.

Here are some other dry, non-sweet fragrances you might enjoy. Although none of them smell specifically of tobacco and whiskey, I do think it is possible it was one of these, as they all have the sort of "vibe" you describe.

Aramis
    Cacharel Pour L'Homme
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Cartier Declaration
    Hermes Equipage
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Francesco Smalto
    Jacomo de Jacomo
    Oscar de la Renta pour Lui
    Cartier Santos Concentrée
    Montana Parfum d'Homme
    ST Dupont Homme
    Palais Jamais
    Trussardi Uomo
    Salvador Dali pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Sorry to hear you didn't find the scent you were looking for, but nice to hear you found some new favorites! Thanks for sharing. Encre Noir is a fantastic fragrance. Keep sampling, I think the chances are good you will eventually stumble across the fragrance you seek.

Here are some other dry, non-sweet fragrances you might enjoy. Although none of them smell specifically of tobacco and whiskey, I do think it is possible it was one of these, as they all have the sort of "vibe" you describe.

Aramis
    Cacharel Pour L'Homme
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Cartier Declaration
    Hermes Equipage
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Francesco Smalto
    Jacomo de Jacomo
    Oscar de la Renta pour Lui
    Cartier Santos Concentrée
    Montana Parfum d'Homme
    ST Dupont Homme
    Palais Jamais
    Trussardi Uomo
    Salvador Dali pour Homme
    Thank you for your kind thoughts and suggestions. I was certainly going to try Aramis, Fahrenheit, Trussardi Uomo and Salvador Dali, but they didn't have samples of them down at fragrancex. I will hunt for the others too in the near future. Thank you again!