Code of Conduct

Default aluminum-free antiperspirant?

Hey guys,

A little while ago I started a thread about how safe antiperspirants are and got some good answers which led me to do a bit of reading. So now I'm looking for antiperspirants that are:

1) effective (normal deodorant do as well of a job for me)
    2) aluminum-free
    3) cheap and easy to find if possible

If you have any suggestions, let me know. thank you.

edit: paraben-free would also be nice, but first I'm just looking for something without aluminum.

Default Re: aluminum-free antiperspirant?

I don't think such one exists, so far I have seen only Al-free deodorant but anti-perspi/transpirant.

well , some brands launched some like that , I think adidas too, the Important (IMHO) is Know the personal experience of you with some of them.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I have one from Arm & Hammer called Essentials Natural Deodorant. It does not have aluminum or parabens, or at least it claims not to. It is unscented but it does have a smell that does not last very long. It is not extremely effective but it's fine for several hours. It probably available in every drugstore and it's $4 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I have one from Arm & Hammer called Essentials Natural Deodorant. It does not have aluminum or parabens, or at least it claims not to. It is unscented but it does have a smell that does not last very long. It is not extremely effective but it's fine for several hours. It probably available in every drugstore and it's $4 or so.
    well, sounds interesting and is effective against the sweat??

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    well, sounds interesting and is effective against the sweat??
    It is a deodorant, it only fights bad odours without trying to stop your body from sweating. It is winter here, so that is not really a problem for me. As for bad smells, well, it is allright for maybe 10 hours or so. After that you need to wash and reapply in order to feel comfortable. I would not trust it for long trips, hiking, clubbing, etc, but for regular days and nights it does a good job. I'll buy it again.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    It is a deodorant, it only fights bad odours without trying to stop your body from sweating. It is winter here, so that is not really a problem for me. As for bad smells, well, it is allright for maybe 10 hours or so. After that you need to wash and reapply in order to feel comfortable. I would not trust it for long trips, hiking, clubbing, etc, but for regular days and nights it does a good job. I'll buy it again.
    aaaaaahhh, ok!! but I need a water-stopper

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

any new good suggestion about that? thanks in advance

Crystal deodorant Roll-On is awesome stuff!

The problem is all the natural crystal etc ones are for smell only, they will not stop you sweating. These manufactors seem to believe that sweat is natural and its not healthy to stop it. I prefer to be dry thank you.
    DONNA

It is the aluminum salt in the deodorant that makes it anti-perspirant. I suspect that if there is any other molecule that serves the same purpose, it would have the same negative effects. Haven't ever seen an anti-perspirant that is aluminum-free, it's not like baking powder, where you can take out the aluminum and it's still baking powder - Aluminum IS the antiperspirant.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    The problem is all the natural crystal etc ones are for smell only, they will not stop you sweating. These manufactors seem to believe that sweat is natural and its not healthy to stop it. I prefer to be dry thank you.
    To be honest it works for me as good as Mitchum. Its worth a try my friend :-)

Agree with Arm and Hammer Essentials. It is the best I have found. does the job, gently. Tough to find, so when you find it, buy several.

You can get your armpits botoxed...

I've used the Tom's unscented but if I'm not mistaken it's just a deodorant, not ANTI-PERSPIRANT, which is what the OP is looking for.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    I had a similar concern and I have recently discovered a product called Blue Sand - Sweat and Odor Controller. Its an antiperspirant/antibacterial spray and contains no Aluminum or Alcohol. I use it for my feet but my fiance uses it for her underarms as well, like once per week. She stopped using regular deodorant. They have a website www.bluesand.ca . Hope this helps.
    Is there a reason why she only uses it once a week? Any downsides to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    At first, she was using it 3 or 4 times per week. But, after a few weeks she noticed that she doesn't have to use it as often so now she only uses it for maintanance like once or twice per week. I guess her body responds really well to it. It's supposed to provide long-lasting effects. It works great for both of us so we're really happy with the results.
    This is really interesting. I am going to look into this product. I find it very strange that it works so well. Are you sure there aren't other ingredients within it that are harmful? I can't imagine how this stuff can work so well and be OK for the body. I am going to look for a detailed ingredient list for this stuff!

According to the website, the active ingredient is methenamine. A quick google search shows that it is an antibiotic. I am not an expert, but I doubt it is perfectly safe to use antibiotics for long periods of time.

A lot of these so-called crystal products do, in fact, contain aluminum salts. It's best to read ingredients first.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Timmi, I read the "safe claim" on their website but was sure this was also part of their marketing tactic. Keep in mind BlueSand makes these claims on their own website without citing any studies or a full ingredient list.

I went on to Google BlueSand's active ingredient - Methenamine.

According to articles published to the National Institutes of Health -

1) Methenamine is a type of Formaldehyde (Formaldehyde is a known human carcinogenic).

2) Additionally, Methenamine is used as an antibiotic, which I think after continued use could possibly strengthen certain bacteria (that's no good for anyone!).

3) Methenamine is implicated to significantly reduce overall sweat gland excretion over time, which seems the reason your girlfriend barely requires anti-perspirant/deoderant now.

4) The NIH papers suggest Methenamine use for sweat control is safe, but I do not personally believe this. I cannot find extensive studies on side effects of Methenamine use (aside from side affects associated with [temporary] oral use).

Relevant Literature - Treatment of hyperhidrosis with topical methenamine and Topical methenamine therapy for hyperhidrosis.
    Last edited by delasoul; 21st December 2011 at 02:15 AM.

Amway has been used Deodorant, has been used five bottles, the effect is quite good, as to what is the ingredients, you can check, I hope this can help you.

I just tried Tom's brand deodorant from my local health food store. It's not supposed to be an antiperspirant, but for me it keeps me fresh and non-sweaty. The ingedients are all natural and do not contain parabens or aluminum.

I like it, and especially the "soothing calendula" scent. There is probably also an unscented version.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    I just tried Tom's brand deodorant from my local health food store. It's not supposed to be an antiperspirant, but for me it keeps me fresh and non-sweaty. The ingedients are all natural and do not contain parabens or aluminum.

I like it, and especially the "soothing calendula" scent. There is probably also an unscented version.
    misscasey, you're right. Most aluminum-free products are not anti-perspirants but deodorants. They allow the user to sweat, but use antibacterials to keep one odor-free. Many botanicals are used and some simply use triclosan, an antibacterial commonly used in antibacterial handsoaps.

The Tom's brand is very good, but they are usually scented.

http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Essence.../dp/B001G7PN58

My fav is Dry By Nature. The Amazon 3-pack is a good deal, with each stick about five dollars each. One can also check the local health food store.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I like the calendula. I used the lavender scent a while back and it gave me a rash; almost like a rug burn (low hanging fruit for you guys).

The lemongrass scent is great with my sandalwood cologne spray.

I like the calendula. I used the lavender scent a while back and it gave me a rash; almost like a rug burn (low hanging fruit for you guys).

The lemongrass scent is great with my sandalwood cologne spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I've used the Tom's unscented but if I'm not mistaken it's just a deodorant, not ANTI-PERSPIRANT, which is what the OP is looking for.
    ____

I checked out Tom's website and they do have one that is an antiperspirant. Its called "NEW Naturally Dry Antiperspirant Stick". I also found that it contained "Aluminum Chlorohydrate", (from recycled aluminum originally from mineral bauxite) which I guess is somewhat different than the Aluminum Sirconium that is in my Dove Men+Care antiperspirant. Any scientists out there that know the difference? I don't know how they can call it all natural if it has alumimum in it. Couldn't find it sold in my immediate area, but when I put in a downtown Atlanta zip code it came up with CVS, Walgreens, and Publix as locations that sell it. You can buy directly from Tom's as well, $4.99 for 2.25oz.
    I don't think I am going to try it. I guess we are stuck with the Arm & Hammer brand... Maybe add some baby powder to absorb some of the wetness??

Don't know whether anyone is still interested in this. The thread caught my eye because I've been searching for many years, on and off, for an effective natural, safe deoderant/antiperspirant. Tried several Tom's flavors, the crystal, Funk Butter, lots of random ones picked up in various health food stores.

And I've FINALLY found one that I'm totally in love with, that is all natural and reliably good at controlling odor and perspiration. It is not cheap, but it is easily obtainable through Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/35641572..._type=handmade

Wonderful stuff!!! Totally swear by it.

I have found that it takes my body a little while to adjust to non-aluminum deoderant. It's as if my body is releasing all the built up toxins for a few days, during which time I feel a little smellier. After that, the natural deoderants seem to work better and continue to work, as long as I stick with them. If I go back to the aluminum deo for a while, I have to go through the de-tox period all over again.
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

I switched to non-aluminum deodorant a few years ago and haven't looked back. My body adjusted to it pretty rapidly! Even though they are not antiperspirants my body seems to have toned down how much sweat it produces in response. I've tried a bunch of them. I usually stick with the liquid roll-on types as they seem to work the longest/best. I like Alvera quite a bit. On the other hand, the solid Tom's of Maine sticks are terrible for me! It feels as though Tom's backfires and amps up my BO instead of neutralizing it... not cool!

Malin & Goetz Eucalyptus. Best.

I have switched to the Alvera aloe & almonds roll on deodorant, and am very happy with it. My armpits are hyper sensitive but the Alvera is gentle enough for me, plus stops both odour and "water" :-)

It contains non of the "dangerous" compounds, is organic, and is cheap! I order from the American web store iherb (plus shower creams and gels, body scrubs, body lotions and lots and lots of tea!), and have had no trouble with that at all.

Below is the link to the store/deo. Feel free to use my code BIB827for $10 off if you shop for more than $40, or $5 off if you shop for less than $40.

I'm no affiliate or anything, just a happy customer

http://www.iherb.com/Alvera-Aloe-Alm...-oz-89-ml/6100
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Basenotes Junkie

I have taken to simply wiping or spritzing alcohol on my armpits after I get out of the shower and then applying some baking soda. Works better than any deodorant I've ever used.

Aluminum comes in various forms.
    they provide natural aluminum free deodorants online there deodorant's are 100% pure and toxic free and contain No harmful aluminium deodorants.
    you can vist this site: better4u.co.uk

Better 4U 5 in 1 Lotion is used as it has more natural deodorant that is free from aluminium and other harsh chemical. Shave lotion to give you more comfortable and smooth shave and after shave the lotion used reduce appearance of shaving rash and spots. There Body and face lotion is used to nourish and hydrate skin and in hand and foot the lotion is used to keep your skin hydrated and supple.

My skin used to get irritated when I applied aluminum-based deodorants. 12-15 years ago my doctor told me he heard of Lavilin and suggested I look into it. I bought it shortly after and it’s been magnificent!! I haven’t had a rash or underarm irritation since and I only use it a few times a week, depending on how active I am.

I wanted to toss another one in:
    I swear by C and Co (handmade in Asheville, NC in small batches) Underarm Balm. All natural, organic, works like a dream.

http://candconaturals.com/collection...-underarm-balm

I had looked for a while for non-aluminum options and Tom's just didn't work for me at all. I was really skeptical of this stuff, but I bought it from the woman who makes it who told me she and her husband are marathon runners and use it. I tried it, and wow. I will never look back. It works better than any deodorant I've ever tried. I can do yard work, go to the gym, get extremely sweaty and never have the slightest sweaty odor or BO. Highly recommended. I plan on buying it for everyone in my family for Christmas.

Ordered Tom's maine. Hope it's good.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

I just realized that the Arm & Hammer one that I used for years and recommended to others has triclosan. I m using the one I have but after that I will try to make my own!

CD deodorants are without aluminium, they are available in stores or online.