Code of Conduct

Thread: shaving problem

Default shaving problem

hey guys,

So let me explain my situation a little bit. I have somewhat thick facial hair, i usually let it grow out for a week or two before trimming it very closesly (to the point where it's basically long stubble).

When I DO shave though (not too often) my face gets very dry, and i get some redness/bumps/bad skin around my chin and neck area. It usually goes away after 2-3 days.

I use a Phillips 3-headed shaver when I shave.

So I figure that I should probably get some sort of lotion/cream to deal with the dryness. Probably just normal Nivea cream.

Would you guys have any insight on how to deal with the redness/bumps though? I don't know if it's because i shave infrequently and my face isn't used to it, I guess that could be it. Splashing my face with salt water (i dissolve salt in water, not literally lake water ) has helped before, but doesn't eliminate it completely. Maybe I should get an aftershave? any suggestions?

thanks in advance for your help

Default Re: shaving problem

I think the redness and bumps go away if you don't shave for a long time and moisturize while you're not shaving

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.badgerandblade.com/

try spraying your razor with rubbing alcohol to kill any bacteria
    use some decent sensitive skin shave cream. soak a towel in hot water and make sure your skin and hair is soft before starting.
    shave with the grain or across at first
    lots of hot water and layer
    use an antiseptic after shaving like witchazel (pick up a bottle of Thayers for cheap and put it into an atomizer)
    put on a moisturizing aftershave balm.

Do that for a couple of weeks and see how it goes
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

hey,

thanks for the reply, but would you happen to know if there is anything I could do while sticking with an electric shaver?

Post Thanks / Like

some of the points still apply...

PREP - good prep to soften your skin and hair - soak your skin with hot water, lather up or put on some sort of preshave and let it sit a little while. This will cause less tugging and also make your skin more flexible.

SHAVE - don't mash down too hard, take it easy. Slow and steady.

POST - apply an antibacterial/toner like witchazel to close your pores and clean the skin. Then once dry, a light moisturizer.

POST TOOLS - make sure you replace your blades often so they're sharp.
    spray your electric with rubbing alcohol a few times a week and clean it with a ear bud maybe?
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

Use Tend Skin. It works quickly to get rid of razor bumps. Google the name.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_...l?brandId=4364

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to have mild razor burn after shaving, but in my case, using strictly alcohol and fragrance free- fragrance gels and aftershave balms by Nivea, as well as Gillette Mach 3 blades (or, from a more recent grooming line by the same manufacturer) and, within few or several hours after shaving, some ridiculously cheap face cleansing and moisturizing products from the Clearskin range by Avon and it does help
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 26th October 2010 at 04:40 PM.

I immediately got rid of the problem by wet shaving and applying Biotherm After Shave Balm (I hate to name a brand, but this did the trick for me).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torontobluered View Post
    hey,

thanks for the reply, but would you happen to know if there is anything I could do while sticking with an electric shaver?
    I'm afraid to tell you that most men that complain about this issue use electric shavers. Bacteria can build up on the cutting surface, then transferring to the skin infecting the hair follicle. It can also promote ingrown hairs that cause bumps in the skin from the hair trying to grow back inward and under the skin. The most common answer to this issue is to follow a good shave routine as described by "Master-Classter" and discontinue using an electric razor. These are some other important considerations:

- Use a good quality shaving product like shave soap or shave cream. Better yet, try shaving oil.
    - Don't fill your sink with water to rise the blade. Run your blade under clean hot water.
    - After you are through shaving, be sure to rinse in cold water (the colder the better). This will close the pores and move blood away from the skin surface.
    - Allow skin to rest for five minutes before applying a good quality moisturizer that does not contain alcohol. Alcohol will dry the skin.