Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance & Temperature, Women and Men: Are We Different from Them?

I just noticed that I replied to a post in the boys' section - again.

And then I noticed something else. There are at least 3 or 4 active threads over there having to do with temperature and fragrance - What do you like to wear in hot weather, Well how about really really hot weather, What's your summer scent, etc.

Here, there's not one active thread on this subject, although I would be willing to bet I'm not the only one here who is Living With Menopause, a Glorious Liberation whose side effects include getting a little note informing you that whatever temperature regulation services your body may have once provided have been discontinued.

Is it just coincidence? Or are there gender-based differences in whether and how our fragrance preferences are affected by climate?
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Default Re: Fragrance & Temperature, Women and Men: Are We Different from Them?

Good question, cathodera!

My perception is that the Male fragrance threads have more activity in general than the Female threads. That could have something to do with it.

On a personal level, I do vary my fragrance choices with the temperature. With those first sunny Spring days, my florals, green and fruity florals come out to play. Sometimes I even "crave" a scent from one of those categories, whereas I don't find myself reaching for my heavy orientals, leathers and dark chypres as much in summer.

I wouldn't rule out any category for any season. However, some light, citrusy scents just loose their oomph on me in winter. Some heavy orientals, wafting up from sweaty cleavage, are just over-powering in hot weather, even in small doses.

Yes, the men's board is more active. I discovered two or three summers ago that I especially enjoy sweet fruit-juicy scents in very hot weather. I actually enjoy eau de Cologne fragrances in any season. I think most people have their seasonal preferences, but I stay indoors in AC in the hot weather (wimp!) so actually any fragrance I'm in the mood for will work. Maybe the guys on the men's fragrance board are spending more time outdoors! Cathodera, I can totally sympathize with your body's temperature regulation services going haywire.

The men's board is certainly more active...plus, perhaps most female BNers already have their summer/winter staples sorted out and don't need to discuss them or ask for advice like the guys do. The guys' board has a lot of "validation-seeking" threads - is this okay for summer? Too feminine? Too overpowering for work? And so on.

I can relate to the heat regulation problem cathodera and lillybell! So I've put a white paper fan in every room, where I can grab one quickly when needed. Finally it occurred to me to scent them -- I spray each one a different fragrance (then close it to allow it to dry). The scent lasts for weeks! And it's a treat each time I grab one of these and start madly fanning and get the surprising pleasure of the scent. (fans like these are available all over the web and only cost about a dollar a piece. They also come in silk, and in colors.)

Basenotes Institution

Well as I am on a major citrus kick right now and it's pretty hot here in CA - 96 degrees F today I think .. I have to say the weather has probably affected me.
    Saying that, I would probably wear lighter fragracnes any time of the year depending on my mood. I dislike heat greatly and I am not looking forward to menpause because of hot flushes etc.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cathodera View Post
    Here, there's not one active thread on this subject, although I would be willing to bet I'm not the only one here who is Living With Menopause, a Glorious Liberation whose side effects include getting a little note informing you that whatever temperature regulation services your body may have once provided have been discontinued.
    Ohhh. Your phrasing rings a bell in my pleasure center. Fun.
    Since our spring has been wonderfully cool, I've been less tuned in to the subject of heat this year. Plus, I've now cleared the menopause hurdle which oft insinuated its influence in my Basenotes posts two or more years ago. (That phase has resulted in a pretty hand fan collection, too.) Once it gets hot here, I know I'll be narrowing my selections.

New Orleans vacation pic.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

What a great idea about scented hand fans! I'm definitely going to look for fans to scent. Someone in my youth, way back in my dim murky memory, had a fan carved from sandalwood. That was lovely!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 22nd June 2010 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    ... I've put a white paper fan in every room, where I can grab one quickly when needed...I spray each one a different fragrance...
    Ohh I am so going to do that! That is the most genius idea I have heard all year! Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    ...Someone in my youth, way back in my dim murky memory, had a fan carved from sandalwood.
    I'm ashamed to say I used to have several and gave them all away, back in Olden Times when sandalwood was everywhere and taken for granted, back before I personally used it all up and turned it into unobtanium and caused problems for everybody, for which I do apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    The men's board is certainly more active...plus, perhaps most female BNers already have their summer/winter staples sorted out and don't need to discuss them or ask for advice like the guys do. The guys' board has a lot of "validation-seeking" threads - is this okay for summer? Too feminine? Too overpowering for work? And so on.
    This is an excellent example of the kind of thing that would never occur to me, but makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Ohhh. Your phrasing rings a bell in my pleasure center. Fun....I've now cleared the menopause hurdle...
    Really? It's not just permanent? I had become so discouraged after a friend's 104 year old aunt complained that she was still having hot flashes nearly a half century after her Liberation.

But now you have given me new hope!

And Miss Rose has given me such a wonderful idea. I've already begun imagining how fetching I will look, fluttering my fragrant little fans that I'm going to get at the Dollar Tree and cause Mr cathodera to be even more enchanted than he already is!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    ... (That phase has resulted in a pretty hand fan collection, too.) ....

New Orleans vacation pic.
    Pretty fan, Quarry! I was tempted to get some nice ones... but I was afraid of creating yet another obsession! So I'm sticking with the paper. For now. :-)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Thanks, CR. I stopped at six: two family heirlooms (one is celluloid [pic]), one that can handle daily use, and three souvenirs from: NOLA's Bourbon French Parfums, EPCOT's China pavillon, a special BN friend. Any more than that, and the preciousness of each of these might be diminished.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I love the idea of scenting paper fans! At 54 I have been having my "private vacations in the tropics", as I call them, and generally fan myself madly with whatever is at hand.

Hello all. I was going to post about menopause and fragrance, and I found this thread. I've begun having heat flashes 6+ times a day now and my scents either smell sour to me, or I can't smell them at all. I would think that once my internal heat kicks in I would smell a little stronger, the smell emanating from my body in waves, like the heat I'm putting off. But, I think the fragrances just start smelling bad on me. Anyone else been through the "smelling bad" phase, or is my mind frying like my body? I love Quarry's fan idea. Shopping for them will be fun.

Maybe its a bit like pregnancy where its the sense of smell which changes and becomes more alert so some scents smell bad.

I've been a chypre lover and user since my teens/20s with forays into Poison and Opium. For the last few years I've noticed a distinct shift in my preferences. Whilst I still love chypres they are no longer what I crave. My cravings have become vanilla based. So ambers and orientals have become staples.

There was a study published regarding mens scent preferences as measured by blood flow to the genitals http://ontherecordmag.wordpress.com/...f-seduction-2/

Maybe the changes to our sense of smell are in response to an inner need to keep our men bonded to us when we lose our waistline

"I've been a chypre lover and user since my teens/20s with forays into Poison and Opium. For the last few years I've noticed a distinct shift in my preferences. Whilst I still love chypres they are no longer what I crave. My cravings have become vanilla based. So ambers and orientals have become staples."

Alityke that is really uncanny. I too have loved the Opiums and others of that ilk. Now vanilla is my choice as well, especially L'artsian Perfumeurs Vanilla. Although I can't smell it after 20-30 minutes.
    I bet you're right. Our preferences for some foods (or disgust at others) becomes apparent during pregnancy, so the same is probably true for ourselves during menopause. I wonder if this preference will change post menopause. I'd be interested in reading others experiences in this matter.

Blog Entries

l haven't yet reached that stage of life, but l will be interested to see how what my friends refer to as "power surges" affect me. l am usually the one complaining that l'm cold when everyone else is opening the windows, & l love hot weather, so a part of me is looking forward to being warm a bit more often! Not looking forward to my sense of smell changing, though.

l will certainly bear the scented fans in mind, what a great idea!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Yeah, the fan idea is a wonderful idea. I bought 6 of them today on eBay. Now the hard problem for me will be deciding what to spritz them with. I wonder if there is a certain distance the perfume should be sprayed onto the fans. I dont want to discolor them.