Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Smile A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Hello all, a newbie here with my first post !

    My favourite perfume lou lou blue by cacharel is getting harder and harder to find since its discontinued so I am looking for an alternative. Notes in lou lou blue: top notes: green notes, peach, anise and bergamot; middle notes: honeysuckle, orchid, freesia and orris root; base notes: sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla and vetiver.

    I suppose what I am looking for is a floral oriental that is a little woody. Other scents I enjoy are Coty Wild Musk, Guerlian Chamade, Chanel Coco.

    Also any scents that can remind me of late evening in Tuscan countryside would be nice.....

    I am not a fan of very citrus scents or vanilla that is too powdery.

    All suggestions welcome!

  2. #2

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    I'll bet you'd like Jo Malone's Anise & Vanilla (or Vanilla & Anise?). It's not powdery.

    Also wondering whether you might like Alien - just a guess.

    I'm sure you'll get plenty of other recommendations. You've come to the right place.

  3. #3

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Thanks Lilybelle!

    Hmm, think I like the sound of jo malone Anise & Vanilla, I will go in search of a sample! I have smelled Alien and it wasnt for me.

  4. #4

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Am I right in assuming you are from Galway? Loulou is still available in Boots
    over in England and it's quite inexpensive. I could get you some if you wanted.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Plus
    Kiliwia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    5,115

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Welcome to Basenotes galwaygirl001!! 3 floral orientals that I like are L'Instant Magic by Guerlain, Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel and Euphoria by Calvin Klein, all 3 are easy to find, both in the stores or online.

  6. #6

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Hi Kewart - thanks, but I'm looking for lou lou blue, its a different perfume to loulou. Loulou is still in production, lou lou blue was discontinued years ago (clear blue glass bottle). If you see it lurking on a dusty shelf somewhere in the uk I would be interested! Its still available on ebay from the US but its costing about 100 euro a bottle and many sellers are unwilling to ship to europe sadly.

    Thanks Kiliwia, I will look into l'instant magic guerlain notes. I have used euphoria in the past and I do like it, but its not very like lou lou blue - I cannot put into words what notes in lou lou I like because I cannot identify them - I just love it! It works for both daytime and evening. I am looking for something with the same notes. (Or reasonably priced sealed bottles of lou lou blue!).

    Is LOLITA LEMPICKA similar?

    Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions - I have also just discovered decants and samples on the perfume court so I can try out suggestions before buying a full bottle if I cannot try them in Ireland to try.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Plus
    Kiliwia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    5,115

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    I did some research on Lou Lou Blue and one site said that Songes by Annick Goutal is similar to it. Songes is absolutely beautiful, it's a woody jasmine and I like it better than the 3 I listed above, it's also on my wish list. You can get a sample from The Perfumed Court or Posh Peasant and check it out.

  8. #8

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Thank you so much for your research Kiliwia! Songes by Annick Goutal sounds promising!

  9. #9

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Hmm.

    I second Songes.


    For the Loulou Blue - try Dolce and Gabanna's 10, and D&Gs The One; Givency's Amarige; or Lolita Lempicka's Fleur de Corail. YSL's Cinema (too powdery?); Fcuk Her; Unforgivable Woman by Sean John (could be too fruity); ange ou démon by Givenchy. EDIT: A late thought - consider Encre Noir Pour Elle by Lalique, too.

    Some other alternatives:

    Wild Musk - Shalimar !; Prada's L'eau Ambree; Acqua di Parma's Blue Mediterranean (or something like that- can't remember the name)

    Coco: Kenzo's Jungle L'Elephant; Largerfeld's KL

    Chamade: Lempicka's Forbidden Flower ?
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 22nd October 2010 at 11:17 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Thanks Dr_Rudi, for about a month I have been thinking about getting a sample of lalique encre noire (pour homme and pour elle versions) for the woody vetiver notes, the basenotes reviews make it sound beautiful. Lolita Lempicka & Kenzo Jungle Elephant sound interesting too....

    I have tried D&G's 'the one' and I wanted to like it but I found it kinda sickly sweet and I wasn't a fan of YSL's cinema either. God I'm picky! The two cacharel scents I loved - lou lou blue and gloria had elements of 'girly' but the anise, orris root and vetiver notes in lou lou blue and the italian liqueur note in gloria made them more 'grown up' and interesting than current mainstream offerings which all seem to smell either sickly sweet & chemical or light and citrusy.

    I cannot take to shalimar, but I want to! I think I need to sniff some more older oriental fragrances - youth dew, opium, samsara.....
    Last edited by galwaygirl001; 25th October 2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: error

  11. #11

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Quote Originally Posted by galwaygirl001 View Post
    Thanks Dr_Rudi, for about a month I have been thinking about getting a sample of lalique encre noire (pour homme and pour elle versions) for the woody vetiver notes, the basenotes reviews make it sound beautiful. Lolita Lempicka & Kenzo Jungle Elephant sound interesting too....

    I have tried D&G's 'the one' and I wanted to like it but I found it kinda sickly sweet and I wasn't a fan of YSL's cinema either. God I'm picky! The two cacharel scents I loved - lou lou blue and gloria had elements of 'girly' but the anise, orris root and vetiver notes in lou lou blue and the italian liqueur note in gloria made them more 'grown up' and interesting than current mainstream offerings which all seem to smell either sickly sweet & chemical or light and citrusy.

    I cannot take to shalimar, but I want to! I think I need to sniff some more older oriental fragrances - youth dew, opium, samsara.....
    GalwayGirl - Picky is good. I assumed that you liked all those florals on top of vetiver. Now that you've specifically mentioned the anise, I think you should make sure you try both the Lempickas. (Frankly, I smell it in everything they make). Depending on your local market what I called 'Forbidden Flower' you may have as Fleur Defendue.

    Since you appear open to "men's fragrance" I'll now suggest Cacharel pour Homme, too.

    Don't dismiss the F.c.u.k. or the Sean John without trying them - I think they're both better than generally thought (especially the F.c.u.k.).

    Opium is a big favourite of mine - although I think of it more as a spicy oriental - not a floral, and I've never thought of it as woodsy.

    Have fun trying all of these.

  12. #12

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    GalwayGirl - Picky is good. I assumed that you liked all those florals on top of vetiver. Now that you've specifically mentioned the anise, I think you should make sure you try both the Lempickas. (Frankly, I smell it in everything they make). Depending on your local market what I called 'Forbidden Flower' you may have as Fleur Defendue.

    Since you appear open to "men's fragrance" I'll now suggest Cacharel pour Homme, too.

    Don't dismiss the F.c.u.k. or the Sean John without trying them - I think they're both better than generally thought (especially the F.c.u.k.).

    Opium is a big favourite of mine - although I think of it more as a spicy oriental - not a floral, and I've never thought of it as woodsy.

    Have fun trying all of these.
    Thanks for your help Dr_Rudi!

    Yes, I went a bit off the point with Opium!

    I tried D&G number 10 and I quite like it (? the benzoin - I have no idea what it smells like, but it seems to be in a few scents I like, chamade, l'heure bleue, sensi). I will be seeking it out for summer wear! Also Hermes eau des merveilles.

    I am going to get samples of the lolita lempickas, Laura Biagiotti Venezia, Guerlain L'Instant Magique (thanks for recommendation lilybelle!), Aqua di Parma blu meditarraneo mandorlo di sicilia, jo malone vanilla & anise, Chanel Bois des illes, hermes 24 faubourg.

    The notes that keep coming up in perfumes I like are:

    In all: peach or bulgarian rose or tuberose with an amber, sandalwood, tonka bean and vanilla base.

    In most some of the following: bergamot, anise, orris (iris) root, vetiver, pepper, cedar, lilac, jasmine, carnation, cloves, oppoponax, benzoin.

    I also like: Amaretto, almond, cherry, nutmeg, honeysuckle, freesia, rosemary, olive.

    I am really getting into this ;-) Any other suggestions based on the notes above?
    Last edited by galwaygirl001; 25th October 2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: error

  13. #13

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Ordered the following samples from the perfumed court. Thanks for all the advice!

    Lolita Lempicka Fleur Defendue (Forbidden Flower) EDP
    Caron Aimez Moi EDT
    Laura Biagiotti Venezia edt
    Guerlain L'Instant Magic
    Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise
    Lalique Encre Noir Eau de Toilette (Unisex version)
    Serge Lutens Feminite du Bois
    Hermes Elixir des Merveilles EDP
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Dolce & Gabbana Fragrance Anthology La Roue de La Fortune 10

  14. #14

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Galwaygirl, there is a bottle of Lou Lou Blue for sale in the Basenotes marketplace here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/229...th-waiting-for!

    You will have to scroll down, but I see xmen has it in his lists.

  15. #15

    Default Re: A fragrance to replace my discontinued signature scent - lou lou blue by cacharel ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Galwaygirl, there is a bottle of Lou Lou Blue for sale in the Basenotes marketplace here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/229...th-waiting-for!

    You will have to scroll down, but I see xmen has it in his lists.
    Thanks sorcery of scent!

    I have one 50ml bottle of lou lou blue left and I have paid for three 50ml bottles from a store in canada (kiki's perfume store). The store owner is trying to sort out sending them to me by ground shipping which will take 6-8 weeks, the bottles were 40% off and I'm not in a hurry! So I hopefully have my little stockpile! (I am hoping I will eventually get them and won't be robbed on shipping - firstly she thought she could ship by courior and I paid a hefty fee for it, but then the shipping company refused to ship perfume - flammable, etc). She has promised to charge me actual shipping, so hoping I will get some money back, and eventually my 3 bottles of lou lou blue!

Similar Threads

  1. Cedar scent to replace Tumulte by Lacroix ??
    By maounmaoun in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19th August 2010, 08:56 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th July 2006, 08:12 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd July 2006, 04:01 PM
  4. ST Dupont Signature discontinued
    By RockyMaivia in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23rd January 2006, 10:18 PM
  5. ST Dupont Signature discontinued
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •