Code of Conduct

Thread: Best layerings

Default Best layerings

I tried mine today: a drop of Homage with two sprays of Windsor on top.

Boy, even I was surprised at how good these work together.

A sum greater than two already great parts.

Default Re: Best layerings

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    I tried mine today: a drop of Homage with two sprays of Windsor on top.

Boy, even I was surprised at how good these work together.

A sum greater than two already great parts.
    YES !!!
    Haha I tried this exact combo (with two dabs of homage and like 12 sprays of Windsor last november, and I felt on the brink of impending financial ruin too much to enjoy the brilliance of that exact combo.

Windsor, as incredibly awesome as it is.....is too light in concentration overall, and the incredible lush natural rose in the heart seems to fizzle quickly on anything else besides fabrics....something that is most certainly not the case with the incredibly longlasting, nearly as great, yet different rose accord in Homage. And homage seems too hot, wet and loud by itself, yet when paired with the sober and formal dry wood, dry pine, and uberclassy florals in Windsor, Homage's appeal is taken to a classier plane to shine.

It's a mutual benefit.

I really like mixing some natural oils from flowers and woods that correspond in the manner that homage and Windsor correlate. Like for instance:

A scent I find slightly too floral and barely too femme I will couple with pure wood oils, like No. 88, I will wear with a woody combo of Sandalwood oil and Patchouli oils

a fresh scent which lacks enough wood like SMW or MI, I will layer both with a body oil comprised mainly of distilled italian Lemon and Sandalwood oils
    Whereas a scent which has ample wood and florals like GIT i will layer with a body oil based from peppermint and verbena.

Or spearmint oil and bitter headshop patchouli oil with heavy applications of the imo "too sweet"Green Valley.

Or even taking a scent which was too abrasive and masculine, in this case Paul SMith Story, and wearing it while also wearing a very "pink" Rose oil on the body, seems to produce great results.

As for two alcohol based scents together:
    I'm not for mixing many of these in the vial, but layering so their sillage mixes has been excellent:

Windsor and Prelude to Love by Kilian
    Green Valley and Selection Verte
    Concentre D'Orange Verte and Terre D'Hermes
    L'Anarchiste with M7 Fresh
    Bombay Sapphire Infusion and Penhaligon's Castile
    Maitre Fruits De Calabre with MI
    Hermes Rocabar and Tobacco Vanille
    Last edited by DULLAH; 27th August 2010 at 06:26 AM.

Try to combine Dior Homme with the ultra-cheap yet good value for money Yves Rocher unisex frag Eau de Cedre Bleu- the powdery-floral notes of Dior Homme will create an utmost surprising and voluptuous contrast to the rather woody, slightly aquatic notes of the affordable Yves Rocher cologne

Blog Entries

Encre Noir and Tumulte.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    YES !!!
    Haha I tried this exact combo (with two dabs of homage and like 12 sprays of Windsor last november, and I felt on the brink of impending financial ruin too much to enjoy the brilliance of that exact combo.

Windsor, as incredibly awesome as it is.....is too light in concentration overall, and the incredible lush natural rose in the heart seems to fizzle quickly on anything else besides fabrics....something that is most certainly not the case with the incredibly longlasting, nearly as great, yet different rose accord in Homage. And homage seems too hot, wet and loud by itself, yet when paired with the sober and formal dry wood, dry pine, and uberclassy florals in Windsor, Homage's appeal is taken to a classier plane to shine.

It's a mutual benefit.
    How well put...

Three shots of Rose 31 and two shots of Montale Black Aoud.

I have used Homage with Boi Du Portugal to man up the scent and it worked quite well.

I'm not one for layering but I have tried Creed Virgin Island Water on top of Erolfa and also VIW and Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse together and both were not bad at all.

A couple of days I felt the urge for sandalwood. So I took some Sandalwood by Art of shaving. Then I realised it's too static and boring, so I sprayed some Michael for men on top. Really nice combo, at least on my skin. It turned out like a Michael for men eau fraiche...

I'm always afraid that by layering there may be a conflict or some notes in one fragrance may cancel other notes in the other. I tried layering Reflection with Invasion Barbare and it kind of muted both. What do the fragrance producers think of layering fragrances in general? I know some Jo Malones and even Creeds are recommended for layering. I tried GIT and Original Vetiver and the combination again was nowhere near as projecting or distinct as each on their own. I think it also affects the development.

Banned

GIT + MI on top

Light spray of Original Santal topped with two sprays of Neroli Sauvage. Very nice.

Both Muscs Kublai Khan and Encre noire layer well with a lot of fragrances.

Try MKK with Yatagan; that's a good combination for autumn IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    I'm always afraid that by layering there may be a conflict or some notes in one fragrance may cancel other notes in the other.
    Funnily enough (because I started this thread) I most often agree. Succesful layerings are quite rare. The one I suggested seems to be one of them. (Dullah's beautiful description corresponded to my experience.)

Another one is spraying THREE sprays of Citrus Bigarrade over ONE of Millesime Imperial.

Heck, this is how I remember M. I. smelling in late 1990's!

Creed Green Valley with MI on top. Also VIW with MI on the top. Usually 2:1 ratio. (MI 1)

Blog Entries

Arpege Pour Homme layered with Hiris by Hermes. The ultimate Iris experience.

Coincidentally, I tried a new layering today that is actually really good:

Jil Sander Background and Jean Pascal

This is one I will use again.
    Griff

AromiErotici

Mrs. Aromi likes the combos of Bijan for Men underneath Zino and Bijan underneath Halston Z-14. On the surface, they sound like horrible combinations, but they're not too shabby. I actually like the Bijan-Halston duo.

encre noire & jasmine absolute

Discovered this by accident,

Start with A*Men leave until the base notes start to emerge, spray Mont Blanc Individuel over the top, I used twice as much Individuel as A*Men. Makes it lighter somehow otherwise the A*Men starts to annoy me after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Encre Noir and Tumulte.
    awesome tip, thanks. felt like i was immersed in darkness.
    Tumulte works quite well with alot of frags: Kenzo power, black orchid, agua de colonia concetrada by Alvarez Gomez are the ones I have tried so far. Brings them back down to earth

I just discovered an amazing combo for autumn.

Dior Homme, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Green Irish Tweed (or Cool Water).

Go and try it, it's a good'un.

Central Park and Little Italy from Bond No.9.....My Wife says this is easily the best out of all my fragrances.....Gary

After a recent visit to Kuala Lumpur and a visit to Oud Line's shop, I like to put some Cambodian oud oil on my forearm and a generous dose of Taif Rose extract. I have to hide from the world for about 1/2 an hour until the "barnyard" strength of the oud calms down, but after that, I've got a very complex smell to enjoy. . . for about 2 days.

Default Best layerings

One spritz Michael for Men on the chest and one spritz Nasomatto Silver Musk on each inner elbow. Smelled very bad at first, but when Michael for Men calmed down it turned out to be a very nice combo. Will be my SOTD tomorrow .

Dependent

1:1 - Rose Poivree (vintage) : Rose 31

I just tried it. The "thin" feel of these 2 scents make them great to layer. I'm also going to experiment with some MKK later on. I like the clarity/thinness of these dirty rose scents, and I suspect they would mix well.

Edit: Tried and tested 1:1 - Rose Poivree (vintage) : Muscs Koublai Khan

In the words of Noirwest, "Deeeeeelightful. "
    Last edited by MFJ; 21st September 2010 at 09:15 PM.

JPG Le Male layers well with both AdG and Bulgari Green Tea Extreme.

I've said it before and all say it again, best combo I've tried hands down is creed MI and VIW 1:1

Quote Originally Posted by Captcrunch View Post
    I've said it before and all say it again, best combo I've tried hands down is creed MI and VIW 1:1
    I've got those two so must try.

Another sublime accident ~ began the day with a few shots of Kenzo Jungle. About eight hours later added a layer of Laguna unleashing a tobacco ceder plant growing under my shirt. Deeeeeelightful.

Although I finished my bottle of Arpege pH, I may get another just to layer it with Adidas Moves again. Firstly, I feel that Moves is one of the better citrus scents available, and doesn't get much recognition here on BN or YT. Moves alone is great, but layered with the creaminess and vanilla of Arpege just kicks it up so many notches. Plus it brings out more of the neroli and citrus notes in the top of Arpege. I tend to put the Arpege on first, and then Moves since Moves has short lasting top notes.. Arpege highlights Moves as Moves does for Arpege, it also kicks up Arpege's middle and base which is great since it's generally boring. The perfect combination of tons of citrus and vanilla and cream, reminds me of an orange creamsicle!

Default Best layerings

I put on some Musc Ravageur earlier today. Now I decided to wear some Amoage Homage Attar to bed - a really beautiful combination .

Baldessarini Del Mar Marbella & Aramis Havana

I don't think I am ready to begin layering, yet. I have to build my wardrobe up and become comfortable with each fragrance on its own first.
    My Top Fragrances:
    Hermes: Terre d"Hermes
    Dior: Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent: La Nuit de L'homme
    Burberry: London
    Gucci: Pour Homme
    Rochas: Man
    Azzaro: Pour Homme

Wanted:
    L'Artisan: Fou d'Absinthe; Cristiano Fissore: Cashmere for Men; Parfums d'Nicolai: New York; Divine: L'homme Sage; Montale: Black Aoud; Tauer: L'air du desert Marocain.

Burberry London and Odin 04 Petrana

Quote Originally Posted by Eroma View Post
    GIT + MI on top
    +1 on that.

Chergui and Caron Pour Un Homme
    Balle de Match and Aveda Pure-Fume Men
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Creed MI and Sean John Unforgivable! Makes my MI bottle last twice as long!!

The GIT + MI was tried today with very favorable results.

Wow, I was just layering today. One of my favorite combos is a base of Muscs Koublaï Khän with a layer of Sables over it. MKK somehow tones down Sable's immortelle flower/maple syrup aspect.

I'm not much for layering because I like to enjoy the scent the way it was created. The one thing I do really enjoy is rolling Highness Rose and Santal de Mysore (Montale Confidential Collection) each on separate wrists. It keeps the scents pure, and then mixes in the air for a wonderful ying and yang thing.

Question: When GIT and MI are layered into each other, is the smell of the base, especially the ambergris, largely avoided? I shot them together about 10 this morning and the blend is still in the top and middle notes 7 hours later. With GIT, I'm mostly into the base in 4-5 hours and MI is mostly gone at about 2-3 hours.

I'll have to experiment more.

Might seem odd, but I think these frags are related (roughly 1:1 or other ratios seem to work as well): Jazz and Bal a Versailles!