3 2.50%
  • Penhaligon's Castille

5 4.17%
  • Versace L'Homme

2 1.67%
  • YSL Pour Homme

13 10.83%

Default Poll: Classic Gentlemens Citrus that you enjoy the most

Summer is still with our Southern Hemisphere friends, and is something us Northern Hemisphere people need to keep in mind, to look forward to (how else do you make it though the Winter?)

To get everyone here thinking of lazy, hazy days in the sun, even if they are currently at ten below zero and wearing longjohns , how about some thought on those Classic Citrus fragrances that take inspiration from the original Eau de Cologne, that are elegant, formal, for the more discerning Gentleman...

I have tried to include the usual suspects, even though I think a couple of these dont belong.

BTW, vote for the one you enjoy the most, and by all means post a reply to say why.

Andy

Default Re: Poll: Classic Gentlemens Citrus that you enjoy the most

Classic edc-style?
    Castile, Eau Sauvage and Colonia from that list.
    But these imo, are the supreme edc-style classics:

Maitre Pour le Jeune Homme
    R&G Extra Vielle

honorable mention:
    Creed Citrus Biggarade
    Guerlain Imperiale
    Last edited by DULLAH; 29th January 2010 at 05:47 PM.

Just for the record (and mostly because I'm really anally retentive) it's Acqua di Parma, not Palma.

Armani Eau pour Homme- anytime, although I pretty much enjoy to wear most of the frags on the list

From your list, I voted for Dior's Eau Savage. It just seems very well constructed and very distinguished.

I'm sorry, but there are way too many great frags included in this poll for me to choose among them.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I'm sorry, but there are way too many great frags included in this poll for me to choose among them.
    I agree with Noggs, but I voted for Signoricci just to stick up for it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Tough choice indeed. I went with Acqua di PARMA Assoluta, but could have just as easily picked half a dozen others.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo Line View Post
    Just for the record (and mostly because I'm really anally retentive) it's Acqua di Parma, not Palma.
    Oh balls... Not only a typo, but a typo I then cut and pasted into the next field! Sorry guys.

I've also got Palma on my mind because I'm planning a city break there.

I don't suppose someone could tell me how to edit the labels on a poll? This is the first one I have done.

Eau Sauvage.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Boucheron PH by far.

Fair enough

I've not yet tried Castille, Signoricci or YSL PH. I like all the others so I'd agree with you, they are all enjoyable. Just some are a bit more enjoyable than others.

I own Armani PH, but it was a present from my then g/f, now wife, before she got me big into fragrance and I tried any of the others. It's one of her favourites. I don't think she really bought it for me, she bought it for her to enjoy when I wear it.

My favourite is Colonia Assoluta, then Colonia, then MdG, then the Armani. Don't tell her

I voted for Monsieur de Givenchy just because I always forget about it and when I wear it I remember how wonderful it really is... Truth be told, I have about 8 favorites that all are tied as my favorites. Monsieur de Givenchy is a perfect citrus that is also a chypre, much like Chanel pour Monsieur (one of my favorites too) but with a bit of rose at the heart. Very tasteful and wonderful.

+1 for Boucheron Pour Homme: bottled class.

+2 Boucheron Pour Homme

Love L'Homme, but I don't think of it as citrus myself

Dependent

Eau Sauvage is what I prefer best.

Though I haven't tried the Versace, Boucheron and Nina Ricci. And there are a few others on that list, namely the AdPs that are very impressive to me as well.

Voted for Signoricci along with DustB, but also agree with mrclmind and his endorsement of Monsieur de Givenchy.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Love L'Homme, but I don't think of it as citrus myself
    OK, someone has spotted one of the ones I wasn't sure belonged in this list. Let's see if someone points out the other one.

Well, I personally don't consider Boucheron a citrus fragrance per se, even though it has a huge citrus component, it is more of a floral fougere/chypre hybrid. Cerruti 1881 is more of a woody aromatic fougere than a pure citrus as far as I'm concerned too.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 29th January 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Eau Sauvage, but where's Monsieur Balmain and Eau de/Concentree d'Orange Vert?
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Bleh, so many typo's in this poll! (*ahem* Castile!)

Anyways, my vote goes to Penhaligon's Castile, such a robust citrus!

I must say that citrus, as a whole, is a category I have a hard time warming to. I often find the top notes too simple, and the drydowns weak to non-existent. Most citrus fragrances I truly enjoy only have citrus as one element, and the real body of the fragrance rests with the other notes.

That being said, the mention of Nina Ricci brought to mind Club Haute Concentration, a fragrance of this style I found very pleasant wearing. It's a light citrus drying down to a powdery cypress similar to Cypres Musc.

Not a fan of citrus, but Armani Pour homme is best from your list.

I voted for YSL Pour Homme, but my favourite in the category as a whole is probably Monsieur Balmain.

I voted for Monsieur de Givenchy. It has this old-world Edwardian vibe goin' on that I really admire.
    I'm not sure I like it any more than at least a half a dozen others on your list, but I had to choose only one.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    OK, someone has spotted one of the ones I wasn't sure belonged in this list. Let's see if someone points out the other one.
    I'll take a stab at the challenge and say I tend to think Eau Sauvage Extreme isn't exactly a citrus.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I voted for Eau Sauvage, but also love Monsieur de Givenchy and Pour Monsieur.

two of my favorites: Eau de Guerlain and Philtre d'Amour were not listed.

I voted Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme! It's more redolent amalgamation makes up for a zestier treat! amazing!

- Balava

....though, I do behold. Wait, Frederic Malle's French Lover as the best Bergamot scent I've ever tried!!! SUBLIME!

am wearing it now!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I voted for Chanel´s Pour Monsieur but I also immensely love Eau Sauvage and it´s predecessor Dior´s Eau Fraiche.

I'm a Chanel man myself. PM stills smells the same as the first time I wore it in 1979: Great!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th January 2010 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Cerruti 1881 is more of a woody aromatic fougere than a pure citrus as far as I'm concerned too.
    On the very next post mrclmind points out the second imposter! If you read the Directory page for 1881, plenty of people compare it to others on this poll list, which is why I put it in. I supposed that my experience of a juniper opening with no descernable citrus was just my nose playing tricks on me again.

L'Homme was included due to its mentions on many other threads about EdC style citrus, again I personally didn't get that impression.

I did make a pigs ear of this poll (typos, spelling, missing option - how did I forget the Hermes!). What has interested me most is that Pour Monsieur is second favourite. Wasn't expecting that.

Sur la Plage

Signoricci (vintage)
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Eau Sauvage

Agreed. though like DustB I had to vote fro Versace L'Homme just to stick up for that one, now that it's been ruined
    I mean er-reformulated.

As a proponent of the via negativa: Burn Eau Sauvage Extreme at the stake!
    Armani puts me to sleep and alas! The classic Eau Sauvage's basil/lemon combo doesn't work on me
    but yes, it's deservedly a classic--or perhaps the vintage version was. I don't know. Chanel's PMC? Well, perhaps I was expecting too much from it, I only yawn instead of falling asleep and pine for a bottle of the unreformulated Chanel PM, which I have not tried.

Still, it's all a matter of taste, isn't it?

1881 is Ok but pales besides Signoricci. The Original, which I believe is Signoricci #2, not 1 (don't ask) And the worst anyone can say about ADP is that it's a pity that it doesn't last all day, great juice.

Blast it! Dullah. Now I've got to try Maitre Pour le Jeune Homme and R&G Extra Vielle

Considering that ADP Colonia Assoluta was created in 2003, I'll put my recommendation for three others:

Le Roy Soleil by Dali; exotic citrus/fruit combo
    Gai Mattiolo Uomo: Aqua/citrus very "old school"
    Creed's Bois de Cedrat (1875!)

As usual the Creed costs an arm and a leg but, as I wrote elsewhere, given that they have a secret saltwater lake where they harvest ambergris from vomiting whales and the perimeter is protected by mutant civet felines, the price is undoubtedly justified.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 1st February 2010 at 05:32 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

HERMES EAU D'ORANGE VERTE! Is it not old enough to vote (on)? I like it and you can score a 6 oz. bottle of it for $40. My kind of fragrance...

I vote for Armani Eau Pour Homme. I think it's closest to a "classic" citrus EDC--and it's the only Armani I'll use.
    I also own Dior Eau Sauvage, which I worship. However, although I think it's an excellent citrus, it's not in the style of the classic EDC. I also own and love YSL PH (HC or original are both great). The original is closer to a classic EDC.
    These are the 3 citrus compositions I like to use most for warmer weather. I did have Signoricci but used it up. There was someting in there I didn't quite enjoy.
    I like Eau Sauvage Extreme but it's is not in the same category as these. I have it up for sale; just don't use it often enough.
    RM

Bois Du Portugal should have been int eh poll

Chanel Cologne (from Les Exclusifs) is missing too.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Bois Du Portugal should have been int eh poll
    You consider this a Citrus scent? That's very interesting! To me it's a woody oriental that has much in common with Nicolai's New York.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 1st February 2010 at 03:44 PM.

Acqua di Parma Assoluta for me.....this was a difficult poll.....so many Great choices.
    Gary

I like Acqua di Parma Colonia so much I had to find a less costly doppleganger for it, which is Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille EDC, which I see didn't make the list, even though it's quite citrusy (lemons).

“Government big enough to supply
    everything you need is big enough
    to take everything you have.”
    Thomas Jefferson

As was said many times it was very close, but Chanel Pour Monsieur wins out. Looking at the results so far though, I must try Eau Sauvage again. In the past it has only been with a sample.

This isn't my favorite genre of fragrance, but I truly think Castile is a GREAT fragrance. It reminds me (and apparently many others) very much of Assoluta, but the clarity of the notes and the progression of the fragrance is, IMO, so much better in Castile.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I've only tried 2 of those listed (MdG and YSL ph) and my vote would be for YSL ph.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Eau Sauvage

Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme from this 2010 list.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.